Michael Clayton pushing hard for Mike Williams

Green Jets & Ham

Michael Clayton is hoping the Bucs don't drop the ball on Mike Williams.

After leading all rookies in receptions (80) and receiving yardage (1,193), Clayton is dreaming about the numbers he might post in Year 2 with Williams drawing defenders to his side of the field.

Noting Tampa Bay has the fifth pick in the April 23-24 NFL draft, Clayton was part of a large Bucs contingent at the former Southern Cal and Plant High star's workout Thursday at USF.

``It's easy to find a diamond in the rough at running back,'' Clayton said. ``But receivers? Speaking as a player, a guy like that, with that kind of talent? I'm pushing for him, man.

``He had a great workout. His weight (229) was on, he had a good vertical jump and all that.''

For Clayton, the most impressive aspect of the 90-minute session came when Williams moved from the track to the grass.

``He really showed his skill when he ran his routes,'' Clayton said. ``You can tell. A guy 230 pounds who can change direction at that speed is going to be a dominant player in this league.''

Bucs Website

Mike Williams will be All-Pro by his third year in the league. He is absolutely insane in terms of getting open. Completely uncoverable. If I was Clayton, I'd watch what I wished for. Williams can get 100 receptions a year easily, relegating the #2 receiver to about 45 grabs.

My draft charts are slightly different and much more radical than most of what you see out there.

I have Mike Williams as the best player in the draft.

Clayton's comments are why I downplay straight line speed at WR. Some guys run extremely fast but have problems keeping that speed when changing direction.

It's like driving a car 70 miles per hour and then making a quick right turn while still maintaining speed and not going off course. Very Few drivers can do it smoothly, Most can't.

One of the keys to being a good WR is the ability to change speed. Clayton happens to be a WR who is so smooth in and out of his cuts. There's no hesitation or delay and no speed is lost when changing direction. He will accelerate to the football when it's in the air.

The speed is not just off the snap, It comes when you make your first move. That's what made Jerry Rice so great. He used his brain first to get open, Then his speed. The CB is at a disadvantage because he doesn't know where you are going as a WR. If he can fool him to go one way and then go the other way. That's how you get open in The NFL.

Straight line speed is more important at CB because you need recovery speed to make up for split second mistakes.

Clayton may not get his wish, even if Bucs management sees it the same way

I read somewhere that the Bears are considering MW at 4 Overall, one spot ahead of Tampa

I would have to think Chicago is looking for a faster receiver to team up with Muhsin Muhammad, so they probably should wait until round 2. Chicago needs to either trade down or possibly draft a RB or QB.

Thanks for starting this thread Ham because you got my football juices flowing here.

One of the most interesting dynamics with this years draft is that the teams at the top can go in so many different directions.

I won't turn this post into war and peace but just take San Fran for example.

You can make the argument that they could take a QB. Either Smith or Rodgers, They could take a RB probably Brown, They could grab a defensive player like Derrick Johnson. They could draft a WR like Mike Williams.

It's like this for every team at the top of the draft from Miami to Cleveland to The Bears and The Bucs. You can make an argument for any of the top players being drafted by those teams. Hard to predict where players at the top will go because you have 3 new staffs with bad teams at the top of the draft.

Clayton may not get his wish, even if Bucs management sees it the same way

I read somewhere that the Bears are considering MW at 4 Overall, one spot ahead of Tampa

The Bears are definetly considering Williams at #4, as well as Edwards, which is why you're starting to hear talk about Minnesota trading up from #7 to get him.

Don't believe all of the talk about Williams being slow. Great routes, hands like fish nets, huge size and the added experience of playing in a Pro-style offense in collge are much too hard to ignore. Anquan Boldin had similar, if not slower times, and he destoryed defenses in his rookie year.

I really believe Angelo takes him over Edwards.

Archived