ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Cardinals OLB John Abraham (concussion) has left the team, and is contemplating retirement.
Abraham, 36, has suffered multiple concussions in the NFL, and has been experiencing memory loss for over a year. On Monday against the Chargers, Abraham came around the edge and banged his head/neck on RT D.J. Fluker while falling to the ground. He immediately exited the field. Abraham is Arizona's only real pure pass-rushing threat off the edge. His loss would be huge. Matt Shaughnessy and Sam Acho are the outside linebackers in the desert. Thomas Keiser is the No. 3. OLB Marcus Benard has been re-signed. Sep 10 - 2:16 PM

Look I always thought he was selfish with Jets when he sat out of the playoff games to not risk being injured again for Free Agency, but this is different. This is your mental health for the rest of your life. I would hang it up, he certainly had a successful career.

Edited by dundunit

Yeah.  The 8 surgeries for sports hernias and abdominal injuries and this, show that this man simply did not want to make the sacrifices necessary to win. 

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about in the 2005 playoffs when we beat the Chargers and lost to the Steelers he didn't play in either playoff game because of his hurt knee. And he said something to the effect of he had to consider his future when he thought about if he was going to play in the game or not. That year was the year he was a free agent and I believe the Jets never even made him an offer when he signed with Atlanta. I have no doubt that he's had a lot of surgeries, I don't know how you know it is eight surgeries, but I was simply saying that I thought he held out of Jet playoff games in order to get his payday.

• Upvote 3

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about in the 2005 playoffs when we beat the Chargers and lost to the Steelers he didn't play in either playoff game because of his hurt knee. And he said something to the effect of he had to consider his future when he thought about if he was going to play in the game or not. That year was the year he was a free agent and I believe the Jets never even made him an offer when he signed with Atlanta. I have no doubt that he's had a lot of surgeries, I don't know how you know it is eight surgeries, but I was simply saying that I thought he held out of Jet playoff games in order to get his payday.

Yep

I remember that like it was yesterday...and i remember taking it personal that he wouldnt play when we needed him to play these games.....i can even remember during the game thinking how bad i wish he was out there playing (which he could but didnt want to risk his future w further injury).  

As a jets fan I take that personal.....and still do to this day

As a normal person I can completely understand why he did that........and yes, most jets fans do not fall under the category of a "normal person"

The Jets franchise tagged him for the 2nd year in a row, and we then traded rights to signing him to Atlanta (3-way trade with Denver). Abraham didn't just happen to sign with them instead. 

It's how we got the pick used to draft Nick Mangold.

But we did sign him, in a sense, by tagging him. We just didn't sign him for more than 1 year at a time, twice in a row, when his rookie deal was up. I think he declined to sign it the prior year until the summer, then the next year he only signed it once a trade had been worked out. But it was almost 10 years ago, and I'm a little hazy on the exact sequence/events, so I could have part of this wrong. But I think this is right.

Yep

I am tired of fighting about that quote, but the guy was hurt and he was not going to be able to play. I remember watching him try to go and there was no way.  My Dad actually called me up and said "He can't run.  He can't play."  I think that Herm threw him under the bus to make it seem like he might play.  Guys here hate him and hated his quote, but I don't think he was slacking, I think he was legit hurt.  I know about his surgeries because I researched it once fighting about this very topic.  I get shouted down by the majority, but you are not going to convince me the guy was okay to play and just took off to protect his future.  

"That's the kind of coach I am," he said yesterday at the Jets' complex. "Players sit in first class; they play. And when the sponsors come in, you don't have to worry about where they're going to sit. The coach is in the back of the plane."

That tells you all you need to know about why Herman Edwards is a players' coach. Why, win or lose, they play hard for him.

It also tells you why defensive end John Abraham doesn't have to apologize for being unlikely to play tomorrow on a wounded knee.

"Abraham's questionable," Edwards said. "He can't really athletically play the position like he's capable of. If you can't use your skills, it's easy to say go play, but it's not easy to do."

When Abraham was asked after practice what his sprained right knee doesn't allow him to do, he shook his head.

"I can't talk about it," he said after not really participating in the practice. "Any injured player can't talk about the injury."  

"But I didn't say anything about my contract," he said yesterday. "I talked about my future."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/14/sports/football/14anderson.html?pagewanted=print&position=&_r=0

...but whatever.  Think what you want.  

Oh, and he should retire. The last 15 game checks (~$1.3M or so after taxes) aren't worth it. And if he really wants, he can milk this for a couple more weeks, collect a couple more $150K game checks, and then retire. 

He's going to end up a drooling vegetable before age 50 if he takes more of these hits to his brain.

By the way, Abraham talking about his future seems pretty similar to you guys worrying about Milliner not reinjuring his ankle. 

Yes and no. It's week 2 against the Packers coming up, not a single-elimination playoff game where the season's over if we lose. IIRC that was the reason fans were less understanding with Abraham than they presently are with Milliner. 

• Upvote 1

Yes and no. It's week 2 against the Packers coming up, not a single-elimination playoff game where the season's over if we lose. IIRC that was the reason fans were less understanding with Abraham than they presently are with Milliner. 

Of course the circumstances are different, but Abraham couldn't practice and these guys don't want Milliner to play even though he is practicing. 

Of course the circumstances are different, but Abraham couldn't practice and these guys don't want Milliner to play even though he is practicing. 

10 bucks say they'd want Milliner to suck it up if it was the playoffs. :)

Also it's a bit different because of their positions. If a one-dimensional pass-rusher is only 70% of himself, the QB is under less pressure for that play. If a CB is only playing at 70% speed, he's easily juked and/or beaten deep and it's a touchdown every time there isn't double coverage on his man.

10 bucks say they'd want Milliner to suck it up if it was the playoffs. :)

Also it's a bit different because of their positions. If a one-dimensional pass-rusher is only 70% of himself, the QB is under less pressure for that play. If a CB is only playing at 70% speed, he's easily juked and/or beaten deep and it's a touchdown every time there isn't double coverage on his man.

I remember watching him on TV during the week.  He wasn't even at 40%, but Herm said questionable, so that must be it. 

Look I always thought he was selfish with Jets when he sat out of the playoff games to not risk being injured again for Free Agency, but this is different. This is your mental health for the rest of your life. I would hang it up, he certainly had a successful career.

I guess it could be argued he was being selfish (he did what was in his own best interest) but I think the bigger point is whether or not he was out-of-line for doing so.  Personally, I never blamed him for sitting out that game.  I think he made the correct decision.  If he played, got hurt and had his career end, it would've cost him dearly.  The Jets probably would've cut him and most Jet fans would've never given him a second thought afterward.  The NFL is a livelihood for these guys and their contracts are not guaranteed. 

Didnt he/doesnt he have a pretty bad drinking problem?

I haven't kept up on it, but I read that he quit drinking or cut way back when he went to Atlanta.  There were also some claims by Abraham and his agent that the drinking was a smear job by the media.  The media as enemy #1 certainly predates Rex - and Abraham.  At least back to Richard Todd

John Abrahams injured knee is one of those Jet fan fantasies that had a life of its own. Some fans still make it out to be a case where he decided to soak in a hot tub instead of play in the playoffs. Then walked and signed in Atlanta.

I am tired of fighting about that quote, but the guy was hurt and he was not going to be able to play. I remember watching him try to go and there was no way.  My Dad actually called me up and said "He can't run.  He can't play."  I think that Herm threw him under the bus to make it seem like he might play.  Guys here hate him and hated his quote, but I don't think he was slacking, I think he was legit hurt.  I know about his surgeries because I researched it once fighting about this very topic.  I get shouted down by the majority, but you are not going to convince me the guy was okay to play and just took off to protect his future.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/14/sports/football/14anderson.html?pagewanted=print&position=&_r=0

...but whatever.  Think what you want.  

Correct.  He couldn't go physically.  Vilma also confirmed that Abraham could not cut play.  This is one of those stories that has gotten distorted over the years.

Edited by detectivekimble

John Abrahams injured knee is one of those Jet fan fantasies that had a life of its own. Some fans still make it out to be a case where he decided to soak in a hot tub instead of play in the playoffs. Then walked and signed in Atlanta.

Physically, the guy can still go.  He looked great the other night.  He probably was going to have another double digit sack season.

Yeah, but on the bright side, it did inspire one hell of a spiffy username, so as far as I'm concerned, we're square

Physically, the guy can still go. He looked great the other night. He probably was going to have another double digit sack season.

Some guys just know how to get to the QB. He's one of those guys.

Yeah.  The 8 surgeries for sports hernias and abdominal injuries and this, show that this man simply did not want to make the sacrifices necessary to win. 

I understand how hard it is. But when you call in sick to a playoff game with an achy tummy....

I understand how hard it is. But when you call in sick to a playoff game with an achy tummy....

That was the Oakland game.  Most of these guys are complaining about the Steelers game and IMO that is on Herm.  IIRC he was puking on the sidelines during the Oakland game.  That was either flu (excusable) or hangover (inexcusable).

I think John got a bad rap --from the press and the fans. I think it was more than a tummy ache. He was dehydrated. Try running around a tackle or wrestling past him when you are thoroughly dehydrated. Expecting an undersized pass rusher to perform when he had no strength against a giant tackle was silly. We were better off with a healthy player in there because Abraham was not Abraham.

Edited by jack48
  • Upvote 1