Question for the new members

Maxman

I'm not from JI and I'm not new here but just recently decided to make an account and post. Didnt really have a chance to introduce myself yet but this thread will work. Jet fan out of Staten Island. First Jet fan in my family (I know I know poor choice). I kinda used this site as a source of Jets news since it seems you guys are the quickest posters of news and have the most coverage of the Jets that I can find all in one place. Its great to be a part of the conversation. This site is great. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not from JI and I'm not new here but just recently decided to make an account and post. Didnt really have a chance to introduce myself yet but this thread will work. Jet fan out of Staten Island. First Jet fan in my family (I know I know poor choice). I kinda used this site as a source of Jets news since it seems you guys are the quickest posters of news and have the most coverage of the Jets that I can find all in one place. Its great to be a part of the conversation. This site is great. 

Awesome!  Thank you for signing up!  

So far, I have to say it's pretty good.  The whole switch to Scout was too much drama, where it had a tendency to overtake every thread talking about quoting problems to random posters on the new site.   The one option that I really like here is the notification when someone has quoted you, I think that helps a lot in bigger threads to see if someone responded to you.  

i've been here a while but didn't post much.

Great Forum, really funny community.  And gay jokes are always a bonus (no homo). LOL

I do have one suggestion, though.  

On some forums, when you hover over the thread title in the main page (list of threads), you get a popup with the first sentence or so of the first post.  Could you guys make that happen?

Thanks... I'll hang up and listen for your answer.

i've been here a while but didn't post much.

Great Forum, really funny community.  And gay jokes are always a bonus (no homo). LOL

I do have one suggestion, though.  

On some forums, when you hover over the thread title in the main page (list of threads), you get a popup with the first sentence or so of the first post.  Could you guys make that happen?

Thanks... I'll hang up and listen for your answer.

If you hover your cursor over the right hand side of the title of the thread near where the # of replies are, you'll see a gray arrow that turns black when you're directly over it. Click that, and you'll get a preview of both the first and last posts in the thread. :)

Does anybody post douchey garbage in the third person and in a green font? I feel like this board is really missing that.

Another escapee form the feared Green Wall of Words.  I think a lot more folks will make there way over here eventually to escape the green wall.

If you hover your cursor over the right hand side of the title of the thread near where the # of replies are, you'll see a gray arrow that turns black when you're directly over it. Click that, and you'll get a preview of both the first and last posts in the thread. :)

Nice!  Thanks.

Well hot damn thats cool!

And yeah, it's pretttty, pretttttty, prettttty good!

airplane_no_smoking1.pngHow is everything going so far here for you? Any thoughts\comments that you want to share with the rest of the class? :)

We hope you are enjoying your stay. Things seem to be going pretty well, so we are going to shut off the fasten seat belt sign. Please enjoy the rest of your flight.

http://fogsmoviereviews.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/airplane_no_smoking1.png

Other than the /fail posting a pic, everything else is alright.

How is everything going so far here for you?  Any thoughts\comments that you want to share with the rest of the class?  

We hope you are enjoying your stay.  Things seem to be going pretty well, so we are going to shut off the fasten seat belt sign. Please enjoy the rest of your flight.

I was just about to ask you a technical question and just discovered the answer on my own, thought I'd share.

When responding with a quote, by default the quote box comes up showing live formatted text and not raw HTML. This can make it challenging to reduce the amount of quoted text, sometimes hitting backspace can delete the entire quoted part making you start over again.

By hitting the top left button on the 'reply' window frame you can switch from this BBCode view to standard HTML view just like the aforementioned old site whose users are flocking elsewhere to boards with user-friendly advanced technology.

SAR I

A couple other bells and whistles we have here that I don't think is available on the board many of you arrived from are the two buttons below the search window on the upper righthand side of any page you're on in the forums. 

If you click the "new content" button, that will bring you up a menu of every thread on the site that has posts you haven't read yet. A lot of the old-timers navigate the site this way. 

If you click the little pointer-looking thing right next to the new content button, it will open a window listing the links to all the forums on the site, and you can jump to any one of them from there. That's how I usually get around. 

A couple other bells and whistles we have here that I don't think is available on the board many of you arrived from are the two buttons below the search window on the upper righthand side of any page you're on in the forums. 

If you click the "new content" button, that will bring you up a menu of every thread on the site that has posts you haven't read yet. A lot of the old-timers navigate the site this way. 

If you click the little pointer-looking thing right next to the new content button, it will open a window listing the links to all the forums on the site, and you can jump to any one of them from there. That's how I usually get around.

Question:

On most forums you've got 30 or 60 seconds to hit 'edit', make a correction, save that change, and not have it flag the post as "edited by xxx" in the post.

Do you have the ability to add a time buffer of such a duration here at JN? Sometimes you need to glance at the post you just made up and active before you realize you made a typo, having others see you've edited it can appear as if you've changed your mind or are waffling on a position.

SAR I

[EDIT: Made this edit so you can see the flag.]

I was just about to ask you a technical question and just discovered the answer on my own, thought I'd share.

When responding with a quote, by default the quote box comes up showing live formatted text and not raw HTML. This can make it challenging to reduce the amount of quoted text, sometimes hitting backspace can delete the entire quoted part making you start over again.

By hitting the top left button on the 'reply' window frame you can switch from this BBCode view to standard HTML view just like the aforementioned old site whose users are flocking elsewhere to boards with user-friendly advanced technology.

SAR I

I never actually thought of that, but it is a really good point. The WYSIWIG editors aren't always all they are cracked up to be, doing it the way you mentioned makes sense.

Thanks, slats!!!

I've been a member here for years, though I haven't posted much lately. And I never knew about these features.

EDIT: I changed my avatar from when I posted years ago, but it's still a Jet green margarita!

Question:

On most forums you've got 30 or 60 seconds to hit 'edit', make a correction, save that change, and not have it flag the post as "edited by xxx" in the post.

Do you have the ability to add a time buffer of such a duration here at JN? Sometimes you need to glance at the post you just made up and active before you realize you made a typo, having others see you've edited it can appear as if you've changed your mind or are waffling on a position.

SAR I

Agreed with this. I hate the edit stamp

I never actually thought of that, but it is a really good point. The WYSIWIG editors aren't always all they are cracked up to be, doing it the way you mentioned makes sense.

Thanks Max, it just makes it easier that way in some cases.

One request I'd make is that when you're in HTML mode (not BBCode mode) the board lets you type raw HTML but the shortcut buttons no longer are functional. So if I want to post a photo, I have to switch back to BBCode mode or type in the IMG tags at the beginning/end of the URL. Same for bold, underline, italic, size, color, etc.

Do you have controls over the HTML mode in a posting window wheras you can enable these shortcut buttons to allow them to put in the HTML tags most commonly used?

SAR I

Question:

SAR I

I am trying to fix this now...I will post an update in this thread. It is definitely a setting, but I just can't find it right now...

Archived