This brings back painful memories..(schotty)

ComfortablyNumb

Schotty being Schotty..From SB nation..

How did the Rams try to get their young play maker Tavon Austin the ball?

By lining his little ass up in the backfield and trying to have him run a Power O between the tackles. For those unfamiliar, a Power O run involves pulling linemen, blocking fullbacks with lots and lots of contact on the ball carrier. For that reason it's usually reserved for bigger running backs who can take a pounding and still get tough yards up the middle.

Austin is listed at 5'9 and 176 pounds. What in the entire f***?!

And yet, Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer still has a job ...

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/11/6135531/nfl-week-1-film-review-defensive-linemen-jared-allen-bears-minnesota-vikings

The famous Shotty element of surprise play

haha exactly. "they expect a run, so i won't throw it, i will just call a different run play that makes absolutely no sense! they will never expect that!" schotty personifies the "two clever by half" saying perfectly.

haha exactly. "they expect a run, so i won't throw it, i will just call a different run play that makes absolutely no sense! they will never expect that!"

Yes, the "they're expecting run, everyone expects me to pass because of this so ill counter with another run" offense

Rams OC Brian Schottenheimer will interview for the Vanderbilt head-coaching vacancy Wednesday.

Schottenheimer seems to get head-coaching interviews every year, and we're not sure why. His offenses are unimaginative and vanilla on an annual basis. In 2013, he couldn't find a way to use Tavon Austin and didn't feature high-priced TE Jared Cook nearly enough. Schotty likes to run a ground-and-pound offense. He did that with former Vanderbilt star Zac Stacy this past season and relied on Shonn Greene in the past. Schottenheimer has been the Rams' OC the past two seasons. Colts OC Pep Hamilton is also in the mix at Vandy. Jan 15 - 9:29 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9335/brian-schottenheimer

I was thinking the same thing.. corner back was 4-5 some yards away.

It's the perfect evidence of how both Schotty and Sanchez sucked, at the same exact time, yet completely independently of one another.  The play call was mind-numbingly stupid, and yet Sanchez still managed to execute it even worse by throwing it to the player who had the worst chance of actually converting the down, as the coverage was tight and he was double-covered.

Neither one has an excuse for that play, they both failed miserably at their respective jobs.

Or the similarly brilliant circumstance of lining the WRs up all across the formation, but then have their patterns all ultimately going to the same exact spot on the field.

well if it fools our own players it really must fool the defense! schotty just wanted to be seen as clever by "out thinking" the other guy. i could do unexpected things as OC of an NFL team, too. but we would never score a point.

No, my favorite was let's line up three receivers next to each other against man coverage and have them all run the same pattern. 

i wish i understood why he did this

Or the similarly brilliant circumstance of lining the WRs up all across the formation, but then have their patterns all ultimately going to the same exact spot on the field.

I was not a fan of this either, but I'm pretty sure there were articles that described this as an attempt to simplify things for Sanchez who had trouble going through his progressions across the field.  I remember reading some guys I respected saying that was a valid thing to do.  Seems crazy to me. Remember, the Jets actually used Tom Moore to help with the passing game in 2011 and Sanchez seemed to regress.  

I was not a fan of this either, but I'm pretty sure there were articles that described this as an attempt to simplify things for Sanchez who had trouble going through his progressions across the field.  I remember reading some guys I respected saying that was a valid thing to do.  Seems crazy to me. Remember, the Jets actually used Tom Moore to help with the passing game in 2011 and Sanchez seemed to regress.  

It's certainly possible there was some sort of logic behind this all, but it certainly seemed like it often meant not only having 3 receivers to one spot, but drawing 5 defenders there along with them.  Sanchez's penchant to also stare intently at that exact spot from the moment the ball was snapped likely didn't do much to help that either.

maybe he figured since sanchez couldn't go through progressions to just have him throw to one spot on the field and maximize chance it is caught by having 3 guys there waiting for it

Archived