Adrian Peterson indicted

Integrity28

Does it matter? When a kid loses an eye because the buckle of a belt gets away from a parent (this happens), does intent matter?

Yes. It has to. If intent doesn't matter then you can't differentiate between culpable mental states short of intent either. I think that's big here. These texts where he's laughing it up about getting the kid in the balls are a textbook example of what distinguishes recklessness from negligence.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parents parent how they were parented. I'm not saying right or wrong, but this is probably how AP was raised. It's how a lot of people were raised.

Notice the amount of parents punishing their kids this way has gone down but the number of punk kids has risen? There is a huge lack of respect and rise of entitlement in the younger generation. You think Bieber or his lot would act the way they do if they got smacked upside the head when needed?

And yes, in my opinion AP went too far based on age.

Way too far if you ask me.

I'm all in favor of giving a kid a swat on the butt to get the kids attention. Heck I got a belt a couple of times but I would like to think my goal as a parent is to raise my kids a little better than my parents did and I hope that someday my kids will raise their kids better than I raised them. 

A tree branch though...

Really ? 

According to a story "The boy suffered cuts and bruises to areas including his back, buttocks, ankles and legs." That is just flat out insane.

The kid cursed, pushed a kid off a bike and smothered another kid with a pillow??

He needed his ass whooped.

Where did you hear that from?

According to AP himself (in published reports) the boy was playing video games and pushed another one of AP's kids.

This is from PFT:

Nick Wright of 610-AM in Houston reports that Peterson told police he gave his son a “whooping” in a May incident in Spring, Texas. According to the report, Peterson said he did it to punish the child for pushing another one of Peterson’s children while they were playing a video game. The report says Peterson grabbed a tree branch, removed the leaves and struck the 4-year-old repeatedly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/12/report-peterson-admitted-to-whooping-son-with-a-switch/

Yes. It has to. If intent doesn't matter then you can't differentiate between culpable mental states short of intent either. I think that's big here. These texts where he's laughing it up about getting the kid in the balls are a textbook example of what distinguishes recklessness from negligence.

I probably wasn't clear enough.  Intent does of course matter, but I think only to a point.  Once you're leaving marks on his nuts, or you've done real, significant damage, I think it stops mattering so much.

Sorry I can't double quote from the phone.

Look at my post above.

Thanks, but thats not what APtold the police:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/12/report-peterson-admitted-to-whooping-son-with-a-switch/

Nick Wright of 610-AM in Houston reports that Peterson told police he gave his son a “whooping” in a May incident in Spring, Texas. According to the report, Peterson said he did it to punish the child for pushing another one of Peterson’s children while they were playing a video game. The report says Peterson grabbed a tree branch, removed the leaves and struck the 4-year-old repeatedly.

Thanks, but thats not what APtold the police:

4 year old??

Ok, I take back the comment the kid needed to be whooped. You don't whoop a 4 year old with a stick. Put the little ****er in timeout and take away his game/bike whatever.

Parents parent how they were parented. I'm not saying right or wrong, but this is probably how AP was raised. It's how a lot of people were raised.

Notice the amount of parents punishing their kids this way has gone down but the number of punk kids has risen? There is a huge lack of respect and rise of entitlement in the younger generation. You think Bieber or his lot would act the way they do if they got smacked upside the head when needed?

And yes, in my opinion AP went too far based on age.

gallery_1_1_11337.jpg

You guys really haven't been down south much I take it or have grandparents off the boat. While this without a doubt seems extreme to some of the more liberal people up here in the north, this is pretty standard practice in a lot of communities in the south. This was how Peterson was raised, this is how he'll raise/was raising his children. Peterson is at the pinnacle of his profession and for all intents and purposes loves his life, why would he ever think his upbringing was too severe? Christ, he was doing this in a state that has a f*cking express line to capital punishment. I would agree that this is certainly extreme, but I certainly understand the cultural aspect if this was how he was raised.

While i agree with what youve said, i cant help but find the humor in, "this is how Peterson was raised" meanwhile, his Father was released from prison about 8 yrs ago.

But yes, there are plenty of people that were raised getting whoopings that some would deem abusive that turned out to be perfectly normal productive people...myself not included.

While i agree with what youve said, i cant help but find the humor in, "this is how Peterson was raised" meanwhile, his Father was released from prison about 8 yrs ago.

But yes, there are plenty of people that were raised getting whoopings that some would deem abusive that turned out to be perfectly normal productive people...myself not included.

Someone mentioned earlier that a "switch" was also something you beat women with. Remember the old "rule of thumb" stuff (the 1874 case State v. Oliver North Carolina Reports, Vol. 70, Sec. 60, p. 44) states: "We assume that the old doctrine that a husband had the right to whip his wife, provided that he used a switch no larger than his thumb").

Corporal punnishment in the south is weird and culturally engrained in very ambiguous ways. I taught eighth grade reading in Mississippi for three years. Paddling was still the encouraged form of punnishment within the school system even though there were no clearly defined legal parameters for it. The superintendent told us at orientation that "these Afro American kids won't listen to anything other than a whoopin, but you better get a witness in case they press charges. And we can't defend you if they do."

It's a strange thin line with corporal punnishment in the south.

I went to parochial school and someone got slapped across the face or their knuckles cracked with a ruler everyday for infractions like dropping your pencil or not eating all your lunch. The Nuns would up their game to swatting with the blackboard pointer (3 foot long wooden dowel) on the hard cases who weren't getting the message.

The board of education came out if somebody really screwed up. That was like death row.

Stop trolling.

I will save my opinion until the entire story is out.  I can honestly say I have never hit any of my five kids with anything more than my Dad-jitsu-tiger claw.  If your doing it right you don;t even have to make contact. Just make the cool noise and the face.  They will stop what they are doing and listen.  

I will save my opinion until the entire story is out. I can honestly say I have never hit any of my five kids with anything more than my Dad-jitsu-tiger claw. If your doing it right you don;t even have to make contact. Just make the cool noise and the face. They will stop what they are doing and listen.

Yeah. This. I got smacked and shoved a small handful of times, never anything over the line. And I can honestly say that none of those times ever beat out the simple effects of the dad face.

giving ur child a smack once in a while is one thing. hitting them with a stick is ridiculous and abuse

Exactly.Anyone who is defending Adrian Peterson is clueless. If your discipline leaves welts/black and blue marks or scars you are a child abuser and scum of the earth. It's a damn 4 year old. I have a 10 and 6 year old that are well disciplined children that don't cause trouble in school. They managed to be that way despite never being beaten. 

Child abuse is a lazy form of parenting. There are far more creative and effective ways of punishing your kid that teaches them the same lesson. 

Yeah, he definitely pushed it too far with this, especially given the age.  At 4, kids are not going to listen that much, so beating the crap out of the kid isn't going to do much.   

I was raised in a strict family as well, although beaten like a couple of times only (Damn you blinds opening stick inventor, Damn YOU!), but mostly my parents made threats.  As a kid, that was enough for me to behave, although kids these days aren't as scared.   But you have a whole litany of ways to make them suffer anyway.  Take away TV time for x amount of time.  Phone? Computer?  A lot of kids are so dependent on these things now, enough so that the threat of that being taken away will cause them to fall in line.   Hell, my phone stopped working for two days this summer, and I was almost out of my mind with the lack of communication.  

The problem with a lot of new age kids are that, parents are more friends than parents.  The only way they know about their kids is through their facebook page, which has them seeing only a limited amount of the things going on in their kids lives.   In a sense, parenting has become outsourced out of the house.  Daycare centers and Babysitters take care of the kids moreso than parents, outside of school.   And when a kid causes trouble, everyone in society is now trained to blame everything and anything besides themselves.  My kid shot someone?  Damn the gun laws!  My kid punched someone?  Damn the school for not recognizing special needs of my child!  Strict parents aren't popular.  There were times I hated my parents as a kid, mom volunteering to chaperon a school trip probably would've made me near suicidal, but when you grow up, you realize it's for the better.   /End rant, lol.

a key difference between this and Ray Rice is they don't have a video tape of him doing this deed. They have evidence of what happened (and AP appears to have admitted doing it) but it's not quite the same as having it caught on tape.  Ray Rice took some sort of deal, AP is yet to go court. 

One incident is not evidence of systematic abuse btw. AP is not a repeat offender (in the eyes of the state). I mean he might very well be, but where is the evidence? 

By the way the trial's not happening until 2015. The man is getting his day in court, and he's got angles to play. It's gonna be juried etc. 

BL It's not clear that AP will be convicted. He has been indicted. He could feasibly walk thru some sort of legal hot shot-ness.  if the league suspends this player and he beats the rap in court, the NFL is open to action. the Vikings would have to cut him. He's their best player and hasn't been convicted of anything. 

Yeah. This. I got smacked and shoved a small handful of times, never anything over the line. And I can honestly say that none of those times ever beat out the simple effects of the dad face.

This.

First, I never got hit as a kid because I was the perfect child who did everything his parents said.

Second, I was terrified of the Dad Face which was the reason for the above.

Archived