The INT at the end of first half lost this game. Completely reversed momentum.

CTM

Uh you couldnt be more wrong on math here. If they score there,GB gets ball back w/2 minutes (which they did w/INT and voila TD) Break even, but GB still  goes into halftime just scoring and feeling good.

Kill clock, its 21-9 minimal (we probably get FG, 24-9), come on, I said I like aggressive also, just NOT when it could be momentum changing at end of half w/best QB in NFL at  the ready.

HUGE difference between the Jets going up 28-9 and kicking off to the Packers vs. them getting that pick. The Jets score the TD there, the crowd is silenced, the Packers are deflated, and the Jets are energized. It's a completely different game.

Also, with three timeouts and the two minute warning, there's absolutely no guarantee the Jets are keeping the ball away from Rogers to finish the half. None. No matter how much you want to say they were completely in control of the clock there. They weren't.

A TD there is momentum changing.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HUGE difference between the Jets going up 28-9 and kicking off to the Packers vs. them getting that pick. The Jets score the TD there, the crowd is silenced, the Packers are deflated, and the Jets are energized. It's a completely different game.

Also, with three timeouts and the two minute warning, there's absolutely no guarantee the Jets are keeping the ball away from Rogers to finish the half. None. No matter how much you want to say they were completely in control of the clock there. They weren't.

They still could have scored a touchdown, nobody is saying they should have taken a knee 3 times. They were moving the ball and could have played keepaway from Rogers while still putting up points.  The Pack can't score if they don't have the ball**

** Disclaimer - There is always the possibility of the dreaded pick six.   

1. Going for the kill and a TD in that spot as a huge road dog was 100% the right move.

2. The We Have A Top 5 Rex Ryan NFL Defense allowing the Packers to go 97 yards in 90 seconds 100% cost us this game.

SAR I

smh, if we run, do bubble passes, kill clock, or make Pack use TOs of course GB has less time. We could have gone up 28-9 w/run , bubble passes ALSO.

The issue is pass right away, letting pack have ball and momentum. it was all abou Mo going into lockeroom.

And w/Rogers a TD there means he could have evened it on last drive of 1st half. I get aggressive but logic/math not there as was proven.

also on a personal side ot u, u know me, I WOULDNT be saying all this IF I wasnt yelling this strategy before it happened at Bar. I DO NOT Monday Morning. I was begging for them to run/bubble, throw deep only if less than 30-45 seconds left before the 1st snap of that series.

would I have been yelling saying great call if they scored there? hell ya, I Bleed green, BUT I also would have turned to GreenBeans "(like I did after INT) and said 'John, we left Rodgers too much time on clock to get the points back"

No more, agree to disagree on Strategy 101 in this case. Thats why they have Horse Races, everyone has a different opinion :)

1. Going for the kill and a TD in that spot as a huge road dog was 100% the right move.

2. The We Have A Top 5 Rex Ryan NFL Defense allowing the Packers to go 97 yards in 90 seconds 100% cost us this game.

SAR I

LOL, the Def woouldnt have had to stop them (after zero rest cause it was 1st play) if we killed clock (and by the way scored another FG at minimum ALSO) and took momentum. There are times to be aggressive and times not to.

They still could have scored a touchdown, nobody is saying they should have taken a knee 3 times. They were moving the ball and could have played keepaway from Rogers while still putting up points.  The Pack can't score if they don't have the ball**

** Disclaimer - There is always the possibility of the dreaded pick six.   

I don't know about you, but I like when the jets score touchdowns quick and often. rogers wasn't exactly "lighting it up" till that point. bottom line is, if winters doesn't wiff on the block, the jets steal that game in green bay. which falls on idzik, which is another topic all together

I don't know about you, but I like when the jets score touchdowns quick and often. rogers wasn't exactly "lighting it up" till that point. bottom line is, if winters doesn't wiff on the block, the jets steal that game in green bay. which falls on idzik, which is another topic all together

if he makes  a block, if this if that, thats football..

Momentum going into halftime was 100% secure w/kill clock w/run and bubble screens and u get another FG at minimum. 

Giving Rodgers ball again vs our secondary didnt compute when 100% bigger lead and momentum were guaranteed.

Time to be aggressive, times not to be. 

I  will  let final score and change of momentum from that pint on speak for itself. 

agreed

silly, we HAD the lead and were going to add to it by at least 3 w/a FG and maybe even a TD if we break a bubble screen or throw a deep pass w/less than 30 seocnfds on clock to keep Rogers off field.

Big gamble on momentum change when you know u have a FG to make it 24-9 and the ball in 3rd Qtr. Jets D just came off field w.no rest with that INT.

LOL, the Def woouldnt have had to stop them (after zero rest cause it was 1st play) if we killed clock (and by the way scored another FG at minimum ALSO) and took momentum. There are times to be aggressive and times not to.

We had scored TD's on 3 out of 4 drives to that point and the receiver was open for the TD had someone made a block at the line. It was the right call and the right demeanor.

The failure was on defense. You know, what's supposed to be our strength. The area in which Rex Ryan invested every high draft pick and free agent dollar since 2009.

SAR I

if he makes  a block, if this if that, thats football..

Momentum going into halftime was 100% secure w/kill clock w/run and bubble screens and u get another FG at minimum. 

Giving Rodgers ball again vs our secondary didnt compute when 100% bigger lead and momentum were guaranteed.

Time to be aggressive, times not to be. 

I  will  let final score and change of momentum from that pint on speak for itself. 

I will let the fact that winters sucked and still sucks speak for itself also. here is the scenario.a competent guard picks up the defender, geno throws the touchdown, jets go up 28-9, green bay don't do sh*t with the ball 2 minutes before the half, check.mate. jets steal the game in green bay.

We had scored TD's on 3 out of 4 drives to that point and the receiver was open for the TD had someone made a block at the line. It was the right call and the right demeanor.

The failure was on defense. You know, what's supposed to be our strength. The area in which Rex Ryan invested every high draft pick and free agent dollar since 2009.

SAR I

How did it work out? if we scored, best QB in NFL has chance ot even up anyways? 

You think 24-9 at halftime with  Momentum would have been better than 28-16 but Pack now shifted momentum? and its a 12 pt lead as opposed to a 15 pt lead? 

Come on, its not all macho, its chess sometimes also.

The young guys at Bar were iffy w/call, the older guys were shaking heads saying 'well we just let them mentally back in it'.

Also a HUGE mistake was not running play clock down to 4 or 5 seconds with each play in that series, I was yelling at TV saying run it down to 4 or 5, but they were snapping with 18-20 seconds STILL on clock. WHY?? We lost 40-45 seconds on clock by snapping too soon. GB scores with 8 seconds on clock. If Jets ran clock right BEFORE the INT the Pack probably would have had to settle for a FG and they probably would have used some of thier TOs while WE had the ball.

We lost and I stand by fact that we WERE aggressive in many parts of game and I loved that, BUT there are times when strategy dictates expanding lead to 24-9 or 28-9 and keeping momentum. That was 100% guaranteed if we ran time off clock ealrier in drive and ran/bubble screens. 100% guarantee. Plus Rodgers gets ball back with minimal time, not many TOs. This isnt Rocket Science folks. In the end, agree to disagree, Bleed Green forever.

Jets w.Ball
M.Crosby kicks onside 25 yards from GB 35 to NYJ 40. G.Salas to NYJ 48 for 8 yards (M.Burnett). 21 9 1st and 10 at NYJ 48 (3:07) C.Ivory right end pushed ob at GB 43 for 9 yards (T.Williams).     2nd and 1 at GB 43 (2:46) (No Huddle) C.Ivory up the middle to GB 41 for 2 yards (J.Peppers).     1st and 10 at GB 41 (2:14) (No Huddle) G.Smith pass short right to T.Bohanon to GB 27 for 14 yards (T.Williams).       Two-Minute Warning     1st and 10 at GB 27 (2:00) (Shotgun) G.Smith pass deep right intended for Z.Sudfeld INTERCEPTED by T.Williams [M.Daniels] at GB 3. T.Williams to GB 3 for no gain (Z.Sudfeld).

Pack w/ball

1st and 10 at GB 3 (1:52) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short left to D.Adams to GB 11 for 8 yards (D.Milliner). 21 9 2nd and 2 at GB 11 (1:32) (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short right to A.Quarless to GB 19 for 8 yards (D.Harris).       Timeout #1 by GB at 01:26.     1st and 10 at GB 19 (1:26) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers scrambles left end to GB 30 for 11 yards (K.Wilson).     1st and 10 at GB 30 (1:01) (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short middle to R.Cobb to GB 44 for 14 yards (K.Wilson; C.Pryor).     1st and 10 at GB 44 (:39) (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short right to D.Harris to NYJ 45 for 11 yards (K.Wilson, D.Harris). NYJ-S.Richardson was injured during the play. PENALTY on NYJ-J.Babin, Personal Foul, 15 yards, enforced at NYJ 45.     1st and 10 at NYJ 30 (:32) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep left to J.Nelson [Q.Coples].     2nd and 10 at NYJ 30 (:27) (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete short middle to D.Harris.     3rd and 10 at NYJ 30 (:24) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short right to D.Adams to NYJ 6 for 24 yards (K.Wilson).       Timeout #2 by GB at 00:15.       Timeout #3 by NYJ at 00:32. Charged Time Out Due to Injury     1st and 6 at NYJ 6 (:15) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete short middle to J.Nelson.     2nd and 6 at NYJ 6 (:08) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short middle to R.Cobb for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN [J.Babin]. M.Crosby extra point is GOOD, Center-B.Goode, Holder-T.Masthay.

I will let the fact that winters sucked and still sucks speak for itself also. here is the scenario.a competent guard picks up the defender, geno throws the touchdown, jets go up 28-9, green bay don't do sh*t with the ball 2 minutes before the half, check.mate. jets steal the game in green bay.

how did it work out? vs a guaranteed 24-9 halftime lead and momentum. Come on, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts........

how did it work out? vs a guaranteed 24-9 halftime lead and momentum. Come on, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts........

if ands and butts were candy and nuts is exactly what YOU are saying. a play call that has your qb throwing a touch down to a wide open tight end is the right call there. I don't care how you slice it

if ands and butts were candy and nuts is exactly what YOU are saying. a play call that has your qb throwing a touch down to a wide open tight end is the right call there. I don't care how you slice it

thats silliest response I have ever read. LOL

It was wrong on so many levels, and WRs can drop ball, a QB can get hit while he throws etc. Not worth risk AT THAT POINT IN GAME. How did it work out? gee, QB got hit while throwing and instead of momentum and 24-9 lead we lose Ole Mo and its 21-16. 

Strategy not your thing, I get that. I like to pile on like rest of them (I like that call 5 minutes earlier by the way, just not before halftime when Momentum is guaranteed if we take the FG (add to lead) and milk clock), but I take a sure thing when I see it when it comes to momentum AND another 3 freakin points from a FG. 24-9 and no Rodgers w/ball until 5 minutes into  3rd Qtr.

thats silliest response I have ever read. LOL

It was wrong on so many levels, and WRs can drop ball, a QB can get hit while he throws etc. Not worth risk AT THAT POINT IN GAME. How did it work out? gee, QB got hit while throwing and instead of momentum and 24-9 lead we lose Ole Mo and its 21-16. 

Strategy not your thing, I get that. I like to pile on like rest of them (I like that call 5 minutes earlier by the way, just not before halftime when Momentum is guaranteed if we take the FG (add to lead) and milk clock), but I take a sure thing when I see it when it comes to momentum AND another 3 freakin points from a FG. 24-9 and no Rodgers w/ball until 5 minutes into  3rd Qtr.

just because you are an old timer and have seen the jets blow games away with bad play, doesn't make you right, me silly, or the play call wrong. it was not only a good play call, it was 100% the right play call. not 90% or even 95%. 100% perfect play call to WIN the game right then and there. what better strategy is there? prevent offense doesn't win games. win the games with what got you to that point. the silliest response is to play for the field goal. sure things don't win you games. scoring points does. throwing th ball to a wide open receiver does. playing for the field goal is a suckers bet

SAR I

same story for years, offense screw up, defense breaks near end of half after performing well all half and somehow people blame the defense. how about the fact that the offense didn't do spit for 2 quarters after that?

same story for years, offense screw up, defense breaks near end of half after performing well all half and somehow people blame the defense.

There's a reason here and you need to understand it.

The Jets are not a normal, balanced, well-coached NFL team. We're trying to win a Super Bowl like the 1985 Bears. Ferocious Defense. Ground & Pound Rushing Attack. Middling offense. Vanilla special teams. And as such, since 2009 we have overloaded our roster on the defensive side of the ball, have a ton of 1st and 2nd rounders, have spent every meaningful free agent dollar there, have a Top 3 defensive mind running the show, have short-changed everything else.

So when our offense puts up 3 points against Buffalo we are allowed to say "we have no playmakers and a rookie QB".

And when our defense allows a 21-3 lead to melt down into a horrific loss we are allowed to say "with the talent we have on defense that is inexcusable".

Translation: When you commit to building a team on D and ball control and your D blows a huge lead and your O is asked to generate too much in the air, you don't blame the O you blame the D. McDonald's is built for burgers, you don't criticize them because their salads suck.

SAR I

why not run the ball a few times and try to take a shot on 3rd when time is under a minute or after GB is forced to burn timeouts? that way if its picked or we score, very unlikely packers have enough time to score again. if it is incomplete, we kick a FG to end the half? no one is saying jets should not have taken a shot--but why then with 2 minutes left and GB sitting on timeouts?

The Jets are not a normal, balanced, well-coached NFL team. We're trying to win a Super Bowl like the 1985 Bears. Ferocious Defense. Ground & Pound Rushing Attack. Middling offense. Vanilla special teams. And as such, since 2009 we have overloaded our roster on the defensive side of the ball, have a ton of 1st and 2nd rounders, have spent every meaningful free agent dollar there, have a Top 3 defensive mind running the show, have short-changed everything else.

So when our offense puts up 3 points against Buffalo we are allowed to say "we have no playmakers and a rookie QB".

And when our defense allows a 21-3 lead to melt down into a horrific loss we are allowed to say "with the talent we have on defense that is inexcusable".

Translation: When you commit to building a team on D and ball control and your D blows a huge lead and your O is asked to generate too much in the air, you don't blame the O you blame the D. McDonald's is built for burgers, you don't criticize them because their salads suck.

SAR I

ok so basically defense has to never have a player slip and fall down leaving a guy open and never make a mistake. if they play 99% error free and offense plays like crap it's still the defense's fault. yeah makes sense.

How did it work out? if we scored, best QB in NFL has chance ot even up anyways? 

You think 24-9 at halftime with  Momentum would have been better than 28-16 but Pack now shifted momentum? and its a 12 pt lead as opposed to a 15 pt lead? 

Come on, its not all macho, its chess sometimes also.

....and if we kill the clock, get a FG, and then blow it in the second half we're all over Marty for his Heimerdinger act, how we coached scared, how we didn't go for the kill.

In the flow of that game at that precise moment everything was working and Geno was hot. Go for the TD was the right move, Geno getting hit at the knees and 44 not trying to break up the easy pick was lame, but risks we should be able to withstand. Our D is world-class, no way anyone should go 97 yards in 97 seconds.

SAR I

....and if we kill the clock, get a FG, and then blow it in the second half we're all over Marty for his Heimerdinger act, how we coached scared, how we didn't go for the kill.

In the flow of that game at that precise moment everything was working and Geno was hot. Go for the TD was the right move, Geno getting hit at the knees and 44 not trying to break up the easy pick was lame, but risks we should be able to withstand. Our D is world-class, no way anyone should go 97 yards in 97 seconds.

SAR I

there is no way in hell anyone would be complaining that the game was lost in the first half after leading 24-9 at the half. come on now.

just because you are an old timer and have seen the jets blow games away with bad play, doesn't make you right, me silly, or the play call wrong. it was not only a good play call, it was 100% the right play call. not 90% or even 95%. 100% perfect play call to WIN the game right then and there. what better strategy is there? prevent offense doesn't win games. win the games with what got you to that point. the silliest response is to play for the field goal. sure things don't win you games. scoring points does. throwing th ball to a wide open receiver does. playing for the field goal is a suckers bet

how did it work out LOL.

you just dont understand strategy, its OK, you will learn, hopefully

SAR I

LOL., nice Strawman,, get a strategy book, ,how did it work out?

there is no way in hell anyone would be complaining that the game was lost in the first half after leading 24-9 at the half. come on now.

Some folks have a macho view of sports and dont understand sometimes its OK to take it down a notch,,

and simply, how did it work out ;)

How did it work out?

Some folks have a macho view of sports and dont understand sometimes its OK to take it down a notch,,

and simply, how did it work out ;)

it's been highly entertaining. kids today like to see the scoreboard light up like a pin ball game so they get a high score and unlock new features on their video game. playing smart is "boring" and so "old fashioned."

The subject of this thread is "The INT at the half lost this game".

I contend it didn't. I contend that the D allowing GB to go 97 yards in 97 seconds lost that game. The INT didn't hurt Geno's confidence, wasn't his fault. The subsequent TD certainly helped GB's confidence, they finally worked a strategy to beat our D and they didn't let up until it was over.

SAR I

How did it work out?

I contend it didn't. I contend that the D allowing GB to go 97 yards in 97 seconds lost that game. The INT didn't hurt Geno's confidence, wasn't his fault. The subsequent TD certainly helped GB's confidence, they finally worked a strategy to beat our D and they didn't let up until it was over.

SAR I

what came first the INT or the drive. i am no physicist but i do understand cause and effect to some degree.

why not run the ball a few times and try to take a shot on 3rd when time is under a minute or after GB is forced to burn timeouts? that way if its picked or we score, very unlikely packers have enough time to score again. if it is incomplete, we kick a FG to end the half? no one is saying jets should not have taken a shot--but why then with 2 minutes left and GB sitting on timeouts?

the reason is that the play was there for the taking. marty seen something or must of, because the intended receiver was wide open. if green bay was lighting it up, then I could see your point. there is no reason to believe that green bay would have scored that touch down before the half if the jets scored too quickly. they havnt up to that point. in a perfect world, the jets would of scored a touch down with triple zeros on the clock,but,as such, they saw the opening with 2 minutes to go

SAR I

LOL, I am LOL my arse off. The Def wouldnt have been on field if we milked the clock and we would have been up 24-9 w/ball in 3rd qtr.

Are you for real? I think this is a gag trolling

Let me understand this:

You are saying our offense spotting our defense an 18 point lead at the half isn't enough to win in today's NFL?

SAR I

the reason is that the play was there for the taking. marty seen something or must of, because the intended receiver was wide open. if green bay was lighting it up, then I could see your point. there is no reason to believe that green bay would have scored that touch down before the half if the jets scored too quickly. they havnt up to that point. in a perfect world, the jets would of scored a touch down with triple zeros on the clock,but,as such, they saw the opening with 2 minutes to go

haha yeah no way to believe GB would score after that pick. every jet fan i know has seen that movie 100 times before and there was zero doubt what was coming next.

Archived