is this it for Rex?

Lizard King

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Milliner can't even get on the field and we all know that Wilson is what he is - not a very good player. By coaching up a late seventh round LB/S hybrid into a CB, Rex has demonstrated that he can "coach up" the position as long as he has something to work with. We've had the it's a passing league complaints about Rex for years, but Idzik hasn't seemed to've gotten the message himself. At least Rex was all in on stopping the pass. Idzik has the Jets fielding some of the worst CBs and WRs in the league right now.

I'm not exactly sure that you want to put Allen's performance at corner up as evidence of Rex's coaching ability. 

I'm not exactly sure that you want to put Allen's performance at corner up as evidence of Rex's coaching ability. 

Maybe. I think he just had an off day in Lambeau. It would be one thing if it was just blown coverages, but he was missing a lot of open field tackles and that's one area that he has always been very good in.

I think we can start having that conversation now. I think we need to be having that conversation now....if Amaro doesnt develop...if Winters continues to get worse...I'm on the he might have to go bandwagon. We had a dozen picks this year and getting zip out of them. This team isnt SF or Seattle where they could easily afford redshirt seasons....we needed talent immediately and have gotten next to nothing from these two drafts except for Sheldon and Geno.

If Dee Milliner continues to be hurt and sh*tty, then that's a monstrous miss that can be forgiven only if Geno keeps developing. Everyone other than Pryor was a project in this draft, and we have to hope that there's a long-range plan behind picking them. If Jalen Saunders turns into Antonio Brown, Idzik is a genius. It's all wait and see. As I've stated maaaaaannnnyyyyy times, I don't think the system is in place to get the best out of these young players. Whatever the reason for that is, who knows. But, the 49ers and the Seahawks looked like this roster at one point, then they found a coach and a quarterback and then all those sh*tty draft picks started to look a lot better. 

Maybe. I think he just had an off day in Lambeau. It would be one thing if it was just blown coverages, but he was missing a lot of open field tackles and that's one area that he has always been very good in.

I give Rex credit for making the best out of it with Allen, whom I like, but setting up 8-10 yards off the LOS and hoping they don't throw it over the top of him was going to get figured out sooner than later. I personally don't like them screwing with Allen like this. Let him go learn how to be a FS and let Walls and Wilson get chewed up. 

Those missed tackles were bigger than some think...

I think it represents a good coaching job, taking a low-rated S/LB hybrid out of college and turning him into even a serviceable NFL caliber CB. But really, it's more a statement about the lack of talent he has to work with this year at the position. 

If Dee Milliner continues to be hurt and sh*tty, then that's a monstrous miss that can be forgiven only if Geno keeps developing. Everyone other than Pryor was a project in this draft, and we have to hope that there's a long-range plan behind picking them. If Jalen Saunders turns into Antonio Brown, Idzik is a genius. It's all wait and see. As I've stated maaaaaannnnyyyyy times, I don't think the system is in place to get the best out of these young players. Whatever the reason for that is, who knows. But, the 49ers and the Seahawks looked like this roster at one point, then they found a coach and a quarterback and then all those sh*tty draft picks started to look a lot better. 

I'm not exactly sure that you want to put Jim Harbaugh's performance as a head coach up as evidence that he's such a great head coach this year. You love getting all over Rex for penalties, the 1-2 49ers are currently the most penalized team in the league. 

Jalen Saunders has zero shot at turning in Antonio Brown. Trust me on that one.

I think it represents a good coaching job, taking a low-rated S/LB hybrid out of college and turning him into even a serviceable NFL caliber CB. But really, it's more a statement about the lack of talent he has to work with this year at the position. 

I'm not exactly sure that you want to put Jim Harbaugh's performance as a head coach up as evidence that he's such a great head coach this year. You love getting all over Rex for penalties, the 1-2 49ers are currently the most penalized team in the league. 

I don't believe I ever went after Rex specifically for penalties. I went after him for not holding players accountable for those penalties.

I give Rex credit for making the best out of it with Allen, whom I like, but setting up 8-10 yards off the LOS and hoping they don't throw it over the top of him was going to get figured out sooner than later. I personally don't like them screwing with Allen like this. Let him go learn how to be a FS and let Walls and Wilson get chewed up. 

If we stuck Wilson on the outside that would legit be the season for the Jets. He is completely incapable of covering anyone along the sidelines. Rex isn't even trying with him anymore. The secondary was torched last week and he didn't even bother playing him for even 1/4 the game.

Barring a miracle, Rex is gone.  Head Coaches are managers as much as coaches.  Rex has proven time and time again that he is incapable of managing.  The team is undisciplined and unprepared.  Strategy and tactics are no great shakes either.  This all falls squarely on the shoulders of the Head Coach.  Adios, loudmouth. 

Barring a miracle, Rex is gone.  Head Coaches are managers as much as coaches.  Rex has proven time and time again that he is incapable of managing.  The team is undisciplined and unprepared.  Strategy and tactics are no great shakes either.  This all falls squarely on the shoulders of the Head Coach.  Adios, loudmouth. 

The Herm teams were so poorly coached from an x's and o's standpoint....but the playoffs 3 times out of 5 years(remember those conversations???) happened because we didnt commit penalties, protected the football and forced turnovers. Something we've never done under Rex. We're careless with the football, don't take away the football and commit a ton of penalties. A well coached team combines those two...which is why Belichicks been so successful. Protect the ball, give up yards but create takeaways and dont commit dumb penalties.

The Herm teams were so poorly coached from an x's and o's standpoint....but the playoffs 3 times out of 5 years(remember those conversations???) happened because we didnt commit penalties, protected the football and forced turnovers. Something we've never done under Rex. We're careless with the football, don't take away the football and commit a ton of penalties. A well coached team combines those two...which is why Belichicks been so successful. Protect the ball, give up yards but create takeaways and dont commit dumb penalties.

Herm lol when he went to the Chiefs and said he wasn't going to change the number 1 offense in

the league and wound up making it one of the most predictable and terrible offenses in one year his career was finished. Nobody defended him anymore.

Rex I think is just in denial that there are any serious problems, and I think that's the problem. All of these problems (too many men on the field and terrible time out mgmt) are consistent and they never get better. That's on him. And the players are never held accountable. They patted Saunders on the head for fumbling and said it's ok, well it's not ok.

Herm lol when he went to the Chiefs and said he wasn't going to change the number 1 offense in

the league and wound up making it one of the most predictable and terrible offenses in one year his career was finished. Nobody defended him anymore.

Rex I think is just in denial that there are any serious problems, and I think that's the problem. All of these problems (too many men on the field and terrible time out mgmt) are consistent and they never get better. That's on him. And the players are never held accountable. They patted Saunders on the head for fumbling and said it's ok, well it's not ok.

Herm sucked and and no idea what he was doing...but excuse the pun- Herm preached dont turn it over. We also generated turnovers...which can make up for having sh*tty personnel and sh*tty coaching. All of our resources have been invested into the defense...but if you cant force turnovers...its tough to win close games. For whatever reason our defense is allergic to them.

Unless Geno really turns his game around, Rex has failed to develop 2 QBs that were high draft picks. Sanchez should have sat out a year and now it looks like Geno is following in his feet prints.

If Rex doesn't know how to bring a QB along then its his job to find coaches that can.

I can't disagree on the takeaway thing. I'd prefer a defense that focuses on taking the ball away rather than being #2 in the league in yards allowed. I'd like to see the team going for the ball more until, of course, I start seeing missed tackles because we're pawing at the ball rather than wrapping up. But yeah, it's something Rex's defenses have never excelled at, and it's an issue.

Offensively, they drilled into Sanchez not to to turn the ball over to the point that he couldn't even play the position. Maybe he could never play the position, but the coaches turned him into a frightened turtle. I'm actually all for the Jets having Geno sling it. Yes, he absolutely needs to learn not to make the dumb turnover, especially in the red zone, but I don't want it to come at the expense of his gunslinging personality. I like that he threw for over 300 yards this week. His ability to move the ball is a positive - especially with these receivers. I don't want him coached to be afraid to throw it. It's a fine line, I guess.

The penalties haven't always been an issue with Rex's teams, it's more a recent thing. Adding guys like Colon and Giacomini, who committed a lot of fouls in Pittsburgh and Seattle, respectively, doesn't help.

Uh, they also pulled him from the punt return unit for the rest of the game. How much more accountable are they supposed to hold him? A little positive reinforcement in the moment probably didn't hurt there, either. Pretty sure the kid knew he ****ed up big time. Chewing him out on top of that wasn't going to help.

Not sure what this list of serious problems is, though. Timeout management, in particular, was good this week. Biggest problem on the team continues to be a lack of talent at a few critical spots. Jets have the lowest payroll in the league, and that includes something like $12M in dead money in the names of Sanchez, Holmes, and Cromartie. It's impressive that they've been as competitive as they have given what they're trotting out there.

I can't disagree on the takeaway thing. I'd prefer a defense that focuses on taking the ball away rather than being #2 in the league in yards allowed. I'd like to see the team going for the ball more until, of course, I start seeing missed tackles because we're pawing at the ball rather than wrapping up. But yeah, it's something Rex's defenses have never excelled at, and it's an issue.

Offensively, they drilled into Sanchez not to to turn the ball over to the point that he couldn't even play the position. Maybe he could never play the position, but the coaches turned him into a frightened turtle. I'm actually all for the Jets having Geno sling it. Yes, he absolutely needs to learn not to make the dumb turnover, especially in the red zone, but I don't want it to come at the expense of his gunslinging personality. I like that he threw for over 300 yards this week. His ability to move the ball is a positive - especially with these receivers. I don't want him coached to be afraid to throw it. It's a fine line, I guess.

The penalties haven't always been an issue with Rex's teams, it's more a recent thing. Adding guys like Colon and Giacomini, who committed a lot of fouls in Pittsburgh and Seattle, respectively, doesn't help.

Uh, they also pulled him from the punt return unit for the rest of the game. How much more accountable are they supposed to hold him? A little positive reinforcement in the moment probably didn't hurt there, either. Pretty sure the kid knew he ****ed up big time. Chewing him out on top of that wasn't going to help.

Not sure what this list of serious problems is, though. Timeout management, in particular, was good this week. Biggest problem on the team continues to be a lack of talent at a few critical spots. Jets have the lowest payroll in the league, and that includes something like $12M in dead money in the names of Sanchez, Holmes, and Cromartie. It's impressive that they've been as competitive as they have given what they're trotting out there.

Uh he muffed an easy catch on a punt against Green Bay. He was lucky they gb didn't recover it.

You have to be able to catch the ball to return punts, but I guess that's the st coaches fault.

If you're ecstatic about the way we lost to Green Bay and Chicago then you are content with soj mediocrity. How old are you? Lol

Barring a miracle, Rex is gone. Head Coaches are managers as much as coaches. Rex has proven time and time again that he is incapable of managing. The team is undisciplined and unprepared. Strategy and tactics are no great shakes either. This all falls squarely on the shoulders of the Head Coach. Adios, loudmouth.

Whoa what wait

Uh he muffed an easy catch on a punt against Green Bay. He was lucky they gb didn't recover it.

You have to be able to catch the ball to return punts, but I guess that's the st coaches fault.

If you're ecstatic about the way we lost to Green Bay and Chicago then you are content with soj mediocrity. How old are you? Lol

Yeah, that's exactly how I'd describe myself: ecstatic. You nailed it.

This is an old post, but it has been sitting on top of that page and I keep reading it.  I understand your feelings on how Rex is using Allen and appreciate them.  If you think he has Allen sitting 8-10 yards off and it is getting figured out your are wrong.  He is constantly monkeying with what goes on over there, mixing in zones, putting LBs on top of the WRs to bump and rolling Allen up.  Playing off and making a sure tackle is what Allen is good for, and that is basically a Cover/Tampa 2 corner. 

Archived