is this it for Rex?

Lizard King

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not a lie at all, Curley and Decker are very good WR's. I agree they are weak at TE, and they need a Gaurd. But you know what, every damn roster in the NFL has holes, save maybe 2 or 3, and I would even question that.

I like Kerley, but he's probably not even the #3 he is with the Jets on most teams. And Decker would be a nice addition if he could get on the field. No one else is even NFL caliber. Maybe the worst WRs in the league. 

I like Kerley, but he's probably not even the #3 he is with the Jets on most teams. And Decker would be a nice addition if he could get on the field. No one else is even NFL caliber. Maybe the worst WRs in the league. 

No way are they the worst in the league, Decker and Kerley are good WR's, do we have elite WR's, no, but what do you expect? Rex has made it very clear he puts no premium on WR's, his  quote was they don't touch the ball enough to be highly valued. You expect his GM's to get him top WR's or get him what he wants?

Rex cant have it both ways, he either values WR's or he does not. If he does not, fine, but nobody gets to give Rex a free pass for not having top tier WR's.

No way are they the worst in the league, Decker and Kerley are good WR's, do we have elite WR's, no, but what do you expect? Rex has made it very clear he puts no premium on WR's, his  quote was they don't touch the ball enough to be highly valued. You expect his GM's to get him top WR's or get him what he wants?

Rex cant have it both ways, he either values WR's or he does not. If he does not, fine, but nobody gets to give Rex a free pass for not having top tier WR's.

Who's worse, then? I said maybe the worst in the league. Can you name three teams with a worse group of WRs than the Jets? I'd appreciate it if you could, it would lift my spirits. 

And yes, I expect the GM to get him WRs. The GM drafted a QB, he should be supplying that QB with people to throw to. He hasn't. 

Who's worse, then? I said maybe the worst in the league. Can you name three teams with a worse group of WRs than the Jets? I'd appreciate it if you could, it would lift my spirits. 

And yes, I expect the GM to get him WRs. The GM drafted a QB, he should be supplying that QB with people to throw to. He hasn't. 

He got him Decker, and Amaro, how is that not getting him people to throw it to?

I'll take that as you can't name three teams with a worse WR corps than the Jets. That makes me sad. 

OK, I was ignoring parts of your post the way you ignored 3/4 of my post, but since you insist. I would rank the Jets WR core as equal or better to the following teams:

Miami

NE

Cleveland (minus Gordon who is out right now)

Pitt

Jax

Tenn

KC

Oak

Minn

Car

STL

OK, I was ignoring parts of your post the way you ignored 3/4 of my post, but since you insist. I would rank the Jets WR core as equal or better to the following teams:

Miami

NE

Cleveland (minus Gordon who is out right now)

Pitt

Jax

Tenn

KC

Oak

Minn

Car

STL

You're about to get a sermon regarding the greatness of Kendall Wright and Brandon LaFell.

Hey Jimmy was that the same day that we met down here?

No I met you in 2007 when we had a huge jn group go down. Drago and his gf, slowmoe 4h can't Hackett Brenda, savage. Bwanazulia.. Lol green DNA bought the group tickets from the dolphins and got a letter from the fins commending him on being a great dolphins fan. :rl:

Btw your sausage and peppers with ™ mustard was outstanding!!

You're about to get a sermon regarding the greatness of Kendall Wright and Brandon LaFell.

A decent QB could amkes some hay with Decker/Kerley/Cumby/Johnson/Salas/Amaro. It's not Rice/Taylor/Clark/Jones, but it's servicavle in the right hands.

Soemone named Larry Donnell caught 3 TDs last night.

If we have to wait around for that wonderful day Idzik deigns to stop balancing his checkbook long enough to draft an All World receiver we could be waiting a while.

In other words, I proved your entire original post to be complete nonsense, including the salary, the horrible roster, the horrible receivers, everything, and you have nothing left to refute. I am glad we cleared that up.

No, the list is mostly preposterous, and I just don't have the energy tonight to do a line by line rebuttal. So I lost interest. 

A decent QB could amkes some hay with Decker/Kerley/Cumby/Johnson/Salas/Amaro. It's not Rice/Taylor/Clark/Jones, but it's servicavle in the right hands.

Soemone named Larry Donnell caught 3 TDs last night.

If we have to wait around for that wonderful day Idzik deigns to stop balancing his checkbook long enough to draft an All World receiver we could be waiting a while.

I think, though, that finding a receiver, while a nice ideas, is a secondary goal for this particular team. I think every resource has to go toward finding the QB. I was disappointed that no real attempt was made to draft a QB this year other than to give Seth Ryan's homeboy a job for three months. That said, I'm hopeful that Idzik a. Has a plan to secure said QB and b. Is able to execute it. In Decker, Kerley, and Amaro (hopefully), they have the pieces of a decent receiving corps for 2015, but they'll still be missing the one great player. Was Jordan Matthews or Brandin Cooks that guy? Remains to be seen.

I think, though, that finding a receiver, while a nice ideas, is a secondary goal for this particular team. I think every resource has to go toward finding the QB. I was disappointed that no real attempt was made to draft a QB this year other than to give Seth Ryan's homeboy a job for three months. That said, I'm hopeful that Idzik a. Has a plan to secure said QB and b. Is able to execute it. In Decker, Kerley, and Amaro (hopefully), they have the pieces of a decent receiving corps for 2015, but they'll still be missing the one great player. Was Jordan Matthews or Brandin Cooks that guy? Remains to be seen.

Benjamin was. We drafted Pryor because Jack Tatum and stuff.

In other words, I proved your entire original post to be complete nonsense, including the salary, the horrible roster, the horrible receivers, everything, and you have nothing left to refute. I am glad we cleared that up.

Its ok, we are all wrong sometimes. You can admit you are wrong, nobody will think any less of you ;)

Man, you sure told him.

Just for the heck of it, I looked at the first team on your list with  supposedly worse receivers than the Jets.  Brian Hartline is coming off two straight years of over 1,000 yards.  Mike Wallace has averaged over 1,000 yards for the past four years, and Brandon Gibson is coming off two years of 3 TDs and 5 TDs respectively.  Wallace is also noted as one of the fastest men in the league.  This is your notion of a team with an inferior receiver corps to the Jets??

exactly but i think we go after a fa in 15' to see if we can land our QB and to compete with smith/vick  then in 16' we try and find our franchise QB in the draft unless the FA turns out to be a really good QB for us.

Just for the heck of it, I looked at the first team on your list with  supposedly worse receivers than the Jets.  Brian Hartline is coming off two straight years of over 1,000 yards.  Mike Wallace has averaged over 1,000 yards for the past four years, and Brandon Gibson is coming off two years of 3 TDs and 5 TDs respectively.  Wallace is also noted as one of the fastest men in the league.  This is your notion of a team with an inferior receiver corps to the Jets??

And if we had Brian Hartline you guys would be saying he sucks also fact is it is the QB that is making jhim look good.

Geno just is not that type to raise the level of play of the players around him which is what a good to franchise QB should.

Just for the heck of it, I was going to rebut your argument, but the fact that you did not read my post in which I pretty clearly said Jets are better OR EQUAL to the following teams, made me change my mind.

And if we had Brian Hartline you guys would be saying he sucks also fact is it is the QB that is making jhim look good.

Geno just is not that type to raise the level of play of the players around him which is what a good to franchise QB should.

No, because I'm not saying that Decker and Kerley suck.  I'm saying that after Decker and Kerley there are no playmakers at all.  And how do you know that Geno can't raise the level of people around him unless you get people around him who are NFL capable-starters should be at one level, backups should still be NFL players.  After Kerley and Decker, we've got marginal players in the wide receiving department.

Just for the heck of it, I was going to rebut your argument, but the fact that you did not read my post in which I pretty clearly said Jets are better OR EQUAL to the following teams, made me change my mind.

Oh gee, Stevegrunder, I guess I just assumed that you would in fact answer Slats' challenge and produce three teams with worse receivers than the Jets, and not try to wuss out with this excuse that you said the Jets are better OR EQUAL TO your teams listed.  That's not what Slats asked, and I guess I just assumed you were more than you turned out to be.

Regardless, the Dolphins have a better group of receivers taken as a group than the Jets do.  You can make the case that Decker is better than Hartline, and surely  that Kerley is better than Gibson with the TDs.  But Wallace compared to Nelson.......egad.  Even if Wallace is not  quite the long threat that his speed would appear to make him, he's still a long, long way better than David Nelson, who's role should be as substitute who will catch a nice little short pass for you now and then.

Oh gee, Stevegrunder, I guess I just assumed that you would in fact answer Slats' challenge and produce three teams with worse receivers than the Jets, and not try to wuss out with this excuse that you said the Jets are better OR EQUAL TO your teams listed.  That's not what Slats asked, and I guess I just assumed you were more than you turned out to be.

Regardless, the Dolphins have a better group of receivers taken as a group than the Jets do.  You can make the case that Decker is better than Hartline, and surely  that Kerley is better than Gibson with the TDs.  But Wallace compared to Nelson.......egad.  Even if Wallace is not  quite the long threat that his speed would appear to make him, he's still a long, long way better than David Nelson, who's role should be as substitute who will catch a nice little short pass for you now and then.

I disagree on all accounts. That is all.

No, because I'm not saying that Decker and Kerley suck.  I'm saying that after Decker and Kerley there are no playmakers at all.  And how do you know that Geno can't raise the level of people around him unless you get people around him who are NFL capable-starters should be at one level, backups should still be NFL players.  After Kerley and Decker, we've got marginal players in the wide receiving department.

like i said how do you know they are marginal.............i bet if peyton was throwing to them they would be fine.

fans like you only think they are because we have a QB that doesn't help them.

so instead of putting blame where it should be QB you pass the buck to the WR.

Seriously?

I mean, I know it's early, but the Jets are currently the #1 rushing offense and #1 rushing defense in the NFL. The #2 overall defense. They're not getting slaughtered out there, they're losing games via bad turnovers and bad calls (and I hate to use that, but the officiating has been tilted against the Jets so far in every one of their games).

There are issues you can pin on the coaching staff. Some of the penalties. Not protecting the football. I understand the overall sloppy complaint. But statistically, they're solid, and they've been very competitive in both of their losses. I think a lot of teams are sloppy early in the year, with the softer training camps and practices. It's a long season, and they absolutely have to improve there. If they remain this penalty/turnover prone team throughout the season, then I think you have a stong case against the coach.

But right now? The wheels are hardly falling off.

I consider the coaching staff the wheels, so yes they are falling off as far as I'm concerned. Rex can't stop a two minute offense to save his life, has admitted for years that he didn't have a finger on the pulse of his locker room, Mornhimweg forgets that we have running backs by the second quarter, and our special teams are average at best. We lost two games this year that should have been won solely due to lack of discipline and horrendous play calling. The fundamental flaw on this team is getting exposed like a bunch of Coney Island hypodermic needles floating to the surface of a hurricane, that the coaching staff, save for Karl Dunbar, is fugaze.

like i said how do you know they are marginal.............i bet if peyton was throwing to them they would be fine.

fans like you only think they are because we have a QB that doesn't help them.

so instead of putting blame where it should be QB you pass the buck to the WR.

How do I know they are marginal?  Because the rest of our receiving crew perform at a significantly lower level than Decker and Kerley.  If Geno was as bad as fans like you seem to think he is, why does he look pretty good for a second year QB when Decker and Kerley are playing?  And how good could he play if he actually had a third receiver on Decker and Kerley's  professional level?

Hope is about the only word to use because I dont think anyone can objectively look at the team and really figure out what plan the organization has. What worries me about Idzik in the QB deal is that he was around an organization that was atrocious at finding a QB until Russell Wilson fell into their laps. That team brought in guys like Matt Flynn, Tarvaris Jackson, and Charlie Whitehurst to lead the team.  Of all the organizations to pluck FO people from, Seattle was probably the least likely to ever duplicate. The success of the whole team was based on, more or less, fluke late draft picks in back to back drafts and Marshawn Lynch somehow going from a guy who couldnt get on the field in Buffalo to a punishing runner. Idzik has shied awy from some of the moves they made there (i.e. overpaying for an injured and basically useless Sidney Rice, pretending Zack Miller was Antonio Gates), but thus far the late draft pick thing has been a dud. For the life of me I cant understand not extending Kerley right now. Hes not good enough to get tagged but he had a lot to gain by going and playing on a better passing team on a one year contract next year if the Jets decide to play lowball with him which is what it seems they are doing. Moving forward they need him to complete that receiving corps. If you get a true 1 with Decker, Kerley and hopefully a developed Amaro you have a terrific group of skill guys. 

Hope is about the only word to use because I dont think anyone can objectively look at the team and really figure out what plan the organization has. What worries me about Idzik in the QB deal is that he was around an organization that was atrocious at finding a QB until Russell Wilson fell into their laps. That team brought in guys like Matt Flynn, Tarvaris Jackson, and Charlie Whitehurst to lead the team. Of all the organizations to pluck FO people from, Seattle was probably the least likely to ever duplicate. The success of the whole team was based on, more or less, fluke late draft picks in back to back drafts and Marshawn Lynch somehow going from a guy who couldnt get on the field in Buffalo to a punishing runner. Idzik has shied awy from some of the moves they made there (i.e. overpaying for an injured and basically useless Sidney Rice, pretending Zack Miller was Antonio Gates), but thus far the late draft pick thing has been a dud. For the life of me I cant understand not extending Kerley right now. Hes not good enough to get tagged but he had a lot to gain by going and playing on a better passing team on a one year contract next year if the Jets decide to play lowball with him which is what it seems they are doing. Moving forward they need him to complete that receiving corps. If you get a true 1 with Decker, Kerley and hopefully a developed Amaro you have a terrific group of skill guys.

All good points, and I agree completely that I'm working off faith and hope with Idzik. Last year, I thought the plan was to clear contracts while riding out a bad year before firing the coach and bringing in a bunch of Seattle/Tampa guys to reinvent the organization. Instead, we got Idzik dancing in the locker room while Woody announced Rex was coming back. Now, it's hard to understand the plan (assuming one exists). Either Idzik legitimately wants to work with Rex (and Bradway and Bauer) to rebuild the team, or Woody Johnson just didn't want to write a check to Rex (and/or Bradway and Bauer) so he could go off and DC the Bengals.

As to trying to emulate Seattle, it'll come down to what Idzik (and Woody) do with the coach. It's been my long-held belief that young players don't respond to the environment here because there simply isn't enough discipline and accountability. Rex's frat-house, love-em-up style works with veterans, but the kids aren't pushed, so they stagnate. It's been a consistent theme under this coaching staff. The next, only (last?) big chip that Idzik has to play is changing the coach. I don't think he'll throw big money at QB stiffs like Sam Bradford or Jake Locker (IMO, if he was inclined to do so, he would have gone after Josh McCown). Hopefully, the plan is to go into 2015 knowing enough about Geno that it determines how many resources they need to dump into the QB position, if at all, and to wait and see if the last two draft classes respond to the next staff.

All good points, and I agree completely that I'm working off faith and hope with Idzik. Last year, I thought the plan was to clear contracts while riding out a bad year before firing the coach and bringing in a bunch of Seattle/Tampa guys to reinvent the organization. Instead, we got Idzik dancing in the locker room while Woody announced Rex was coming back. Now, it's hard to understand the plan (assuming one exists). Either Idzik legitimately wants to work with Rex (and Bradway and Bauer) to rebuild the team, or Woody Johnson just didn't want to write a check to Rex (and/or Bradway and Bauer) so he could go off and DC the Bengals.

As to trying to emulate Seattle, it'll come down to what Idzik (and Woody) do with the coach. It's been my long-held belief that young players don't respond to the environment here because there simply isn't enough discipline and accountability. Rex's frat-house, love-em-up style works with veterans, but the kids aren't pushed, so they stagnate. It's been a consistent theme under this coaching staff. The next, only (last?) big chip that Idzik has to play is changing the coach. I don't think he'll throw big money at QB stiffs like Sam Bradford or Jake Locker (IMO, if he was inclined to do so, he would have gone after Josh McCown). Hopefully, the plan is to go into 2015 knowing enough about Geno that it determines how many resources they need to dump into the QB position, if at all, and to wait and see if the last two draft classes respond to the next staff.

Problem is Idzik took this job agreeing to keep Ryan as long as Johnson wanted to keep hum. SO it doesn't appear to be his decision anyway. A few more screwups as in Green Bay and Woody might agree.

As to QB, suspect that Idzik has to either target a free agent for 2015(not sure who that would be betwqeen expiring contracts and guys getting waived for other reasons) or scour the scouting leading up to the draft-probably both. DOn't see how anyone can seriously think Smith, a 2nd rounder, is the answer. There's a reason this team can move the ball between the 20s and stalls, and that reason is Geno Smith.

As to vets/young guys; Ryan's best players are self-motivated like Bart Scott or Jim Leonhard or finished products like Revis(also a guy who prepares like a coach himself). Give him 11 guys on both sides of the ball and he's winning a championship going away. But there aren't a lot of guys like that around, may be less very year. If the players hasn't figured it out pretty obvious Rex Ryan is not going to coach him up. And still appears that he has almost nothinhg to do with the offense, which continues to be a bizarre a situation asthere is in the NFL.

Archived