is this it for Rex?

Lizard King

Ok so let's review. The Jets have the lowest spend in the entire league. They have no franchise QB and 20+ mil in cap space.

Let's be honest. Good candidates aren't lining up around the corner for this job. in fact anytime they win a game (or even keep it close, like in GB) it's another good item on Rex's resume. Believe it or not the team is outperforming the talent on the roster. Pretty much every other team in the league has more talent.

the fact of the matter Rex is one of the only notable parts of this team. I have way more faith in the HC than the GM or the owner.

Did you see the Idzik hiring process? Is that what you guys want? Woody hiring a consultant to find a mediocre coach? Just like he found a mediocre GM? Or better yet Idzik finding the Dimitri Patterson of coaches?

Bill Cowher is not going to coach the NY Jets. Whenever Rex leaves this team, the next coach is going to be worse.

So glad we get to revisit this argument yet again.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so let's review. The Jets have the lowest spend in the entire league. They have no franchise QB and 20+ mil in cap space. 

Let's be honest. Good candidates aren't lining up around the corner for this job.  in fact anytime they win a game (or even keep it close, like in GB) it's another good item on Rex's resume. Believe it or not the team is outperforming the talent on the roster. Pretty much every other team in the league has more talent. 

the fact of the matter Rex is one of the only notable parts of this team. I have way more faith in the HC than the GM or the owner.  

Did you see the Idzik hiring process? Is that what you guys want? Woody hiring a consultant to find a mediocre coach? Just like he found a mediocre GM? Or better yet Idzik finding the Dimitri Patterson of coaches?

Bill Cowher is not going to coach the NY Jets. Whenever Rex leaves this team, the next coach is going to be worse. 

Every team?  

So you want to blame Rex for the bad Millner play? Nelson made a terrific catch on one and beat Millner on the other.

Those two plays singlehandedly beat the Jets Sunday with no running game.

Players need to make plays!

you cant blame a coach for bad plays but you can blame him for the constant 12 men on the field crap we have dealt with the past 5 years it shows just how disorganized this team can be in critical situations. The sidelines look like a mess of mass confusion at times and when you force players to "think" too much rather than be coached and it be second nature to them it creates problems that's what a disorganized head coach brings no matter how much he schemes a great defense 1 play in this league can turn the momentum of a game in a heartbeat

It's not "a" problem, it's multiple problems on game day:

Too many men on the field, not enough men on the field, late substitution of players, getting plays in late, delay of game penalties, pathetic use of TO's, poor clock management and questionable use of challenges.

That lack of discipline on game day by the HC translates directly to the players on field.

That's why a "players coach" rarely succeeds in the NFL.

Player coaches have a small window to succeed and their methods work for a little while. After a prick like Mangini, is was likely refreshing to work under Rexs loose, happy go lucky coaching atmosphere.

you cant blame a coach for bad plays but you can blame him for the constant 12 men on the field crap we have dealt with the past 5 years it shows just how disorganized this team can be in critical situations. The sidelines look like a mess of mass confusion at times and when you force players to "think" too much rather than be coached and it be second nature to them it creates problems that's what a disorganized head coach brings no matter how much he schemes a great defense 1 play in this league can turn the momentum of a game in a heartbeat

I can't disagree with the additional player on the field BS although that was kinda close. MM was responsible for the TO and hysteria on the sidelines.

Rex is far from perfect but I can't blame this loss on him as I originally did.

Ok so let's review. The Jets have the lowest spend in the entire league. They have no franchise QB and 20+ mil in cap space. 

Let's be honest. Good candidates aren't lining up around the corner for this job.  in fact anytime they win a game (or even keep it close, like in GB) it's another good item on Rex's resume. Believe it or not the team is outperforming the talent on the roster. Pretty much every other team in the league has more talent. 

$20M to spend? **** yeah I'd be lining up.  

I can't disagree with the additional player on the field BS although that was kinda close. MM was responsible for the TO and hysteria on the sidelines.

Rex is far from perfect but I can't blame this loss on him as I originally did.

rex should bench mo for a series or a quarter against CHI to send a message. he should also require marty to be at his side during key offensive series.

rex should bench mo for a series or a quarter against CHI to send a message. he should also require marty to be at his side during key offensive series.

Thing is Mo is respected and from all reports owned it so I don't see it happening.

There were a few communication issues Sunday. Again Rex didn't deny it so at least he's hiding it.

We shall see what happens in the future..

$20M to spend? **** yeah I'd be lining up.  

they have 20 mil to spend right now and didn't do it. IT's assuming alot to say they just want a new HC and then they will spend that money. 

The Bitonti Herm Defense never rests

Rex is the 2nd winningest coach in franchise history, behind Tuna. He has the most playoff victories of any coach in the franchise history. this is not a Herm situation. 

Every team?  

Yeah pretty much. I mean look around the league the Jets have about 2 blue chip players Sheldon and Mo, both on their rookie deals. That's basically it in terms of top notch talent. Maybe the Jets have more than the Jags. But we are talking about a bottom 5 roster by most measurements. It actually is the cheapest roster in the league in terms of money spent in 2014. 

There's this misconception that the Jets are just a disciplinarian coach away from greatness. Coaches coach and player play. Whoever this next coach is going to be, he's not a miracle worker.

they have 20 mil to spend right now and didn't do it. IT's assuming alot to say they just want a new HC and then they will spend that money. 

I like Rex.  I am on record and spent plenty of time battling the ilk on the topic, but the idea that Idzik is going to bring his own guy in here and not spend is a bit farfetched.  I don't think Idzik is cheaping out on Rex, but he is building the team he wants.  If he brings a coach in, I would assume the guy would have a similar vision.  Rex obviously wanted to spend on a corner and when Davis signed elsewhere he seemed to be on board with bringing Cro back or Cro's cousin in.  Probably would have loved Revis too.  That might have meant a win or two more this year, but moves like that could handcuff Idzik and not allow them to build the team he wants.

Rex is the 2nd winningest coach in franchise history, behind Tuna. He has the most playoff victories of any coach in the franchise history. this is not a Herm situation.

After 80 games as Jets head coach, Herm Edwards was 39-41.

After 80 games as Jets HC, Rex Ryan is 42-38.

Thing is Mo is respected and from all reports owned it so I don't see it happening.

There were a few communication issues Sunday. Again Rex didn't deny it so at least he's hiding it.

We shall see what happens in the future..

he should be benched not so much for the fight but for acting like he was proud of being ejected walking to the locker room. extreme disrespect to rex, when after talking to the boss, he walked out with his hands held up in champion's pose and according to faba who was there, trying to pick a verbal fight with packers fans.

In terms of winning percentage, Rex is 3rd.

Do the highest spending teams always win the SB? That is what you seem to be equating this too. Alas, you were also happy in the free spending Bradway/Tannenbaum days, when they needlessly extended contracts that no one else would.

Just because a team does not spend money to the cap, does not mean that their roster can not be equipped to succeed. 

there are some similarities between herm and rex but not more than you could draw between any two coaches in the NFL. herm was master of nothing and jack of a few things. rex is master at defense and jack of few things. rex vastly superior to herm and it isn't even close.

Herm also won a Division title and had a home playoff game.

Rex hasn't even sniffed an AFCE title.

Herm >>> Rex - really not even close, to be honest.  Rex is terrible and Herm really had a deep understanding of the game.  Plus, his teams were disciplined killers.

Wonder if he'd leave ESPN to come back?  I love Herman Edwards.

In your 56 years of life you've seen the Jets in 4 AFC Championship games.

2 of them are thanks to Rex Ryan.

Those AFC Championship game trophies are sweet. 

In your 56 years of life you've seen the Jets in 4 AFC Championship games.

2 of them are thanks to Rex Ryan.

In the 36 years since you crawled forth from your mother's womb, Tara Reid has appeared in 37 feature films, 7 television series, and 1 film-length television movie.

Archived