is this it for Rex?

Lizard King

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of winning percentage, Rex is 3rd.

Do the highest spending teams always win the SB? That is what you seem to be equating this too. Alas, you were also happy in the free spending Bradway/Tannenbaum days, when they needlessly extended contracts that no one else would.

Just because a team does not spend money to the cap, does not mean that their roster can not be equipped to succeed. 

that one year Al Groh went 9-7 is being thrown out due to a small sample size. 

Do the lowest spending teams win the SB? Im not advocating irresponsibility. but jets fans have to be honest about the amount of talent on the roster, and what kind of HC candidates this job would attract. They got lucky finding Rex. 

Do the lowest spending teams win the SB? Im not advocating irresponsibility. but jets fans have to be honest about the amount of talent on the roster, and what kind of HC candidates this job would attract. They got lucky finding Rex. 

bit, there are only 32 HC jobs available in the world.

Other than retread coaches like Cowher, Gruden, etc. no first time candidates would turn down the Jets for the reasons you stated.

no first time candidates would turn down the Jets for the reasons you stated.

exactly. unless it's a Chip Kelly type, most of the first time HCs will be downgrades.  Hot first time HC's like Bevel will have other options.

Usually first time HC's stink. Jets fans should know that, as we've gone through our share. 

We've been talking in abstractions, let's give an example of how this roster is low class:

Jets fans are unhappy about penalties 

Willie Colon leads the Jets in penalties.

Before Colon joined the Jets, he was known for two things, getting hurt and getting penalized. Idzik signed this guy (and resigned him). There's no amount of coaching Rex can do, that can decrease Willie Colon's penalties. Other than benching him, which, again Idzik hasn't exactly given him alot of options. Vince Lombardi couldn't stop Willie Colon's penalties.

bottom line if you look close at this roster, it's hard to imagine a different coach getting more out of these guys. 

I love Rex, and dont want him gone, like, evah.

But to think this is an undesirable job is just nuts. Geno has talent, it is a young team with talent. Holes, yes, but what open coaching job does not have holes? Other than the ass hat that is our owner, this is a very, very desirable job.

exactly. unless it's a Chip Kelly type, most of the first time HCs will be downgrades.  Hot first time HC's like Bevel will have other options.

Usually first time HC's stink. Jets fans should know that, as we've gone through our share. 

We've been talking in abstractions, let's give an example of how this roster is low class:

Jets fans are unhappy about penalties 

Willie Colon leads the Jets in penalties.

Before Colon joined the Jets, he was known for two things, getting hurt and getting penalized. Idzik signed this guy (and resigned him). There's no amount of coaching Rex can do, that can decrease Willie Colon's penalties. Other than benching him, which, again Idzik hasn't exactly given him alot of options. Vince Lombardi couldn't stop Willie Colon's penalties.

bottom line if you look close at this roster, it's hard to imagine a different coach getting more out of these guys. 

I think its actually a very talented roster, maybe not super bowl, but a top 12-15 talent level in the NFL roster. And we should be 2-0. As much as I love Rex, if this team is 8-8 or worse, I think that would change my stance on him, maybe not want him fired, but I would be disappointed with 8-8 or worse, barring a huge run on injuries to our top players.

Ryan is his dad; a big mouth defensive guy who doens't have much interest in the offense as long as it doens't turn the ball over. But even on the "defensive genius" end he is not all that and a bag of chips at the end of games and halves. WHich is the problem; under the pass happy rules any defense is gonna give up a few. And when your margin for error from a bad offense is nothing, you're capped out at 8-10 wins. By luck or happenstance grant you RYan has never had a great QB. But he hasn't much helped which is how you blow through three OCs.

Problem is who is the repalcement? WOuld take Bevel in heartbeat. But who knows if he'll take this job?   

And the media is beginning noticing the problem of the defensive genius-

http://nypost.com/2014/09/16/jets-erratic-play-sends-mixed-signals/

Rex D can’t get stop when needed

The situation at the end of the first half Sunday was all too familiar for Jets fans who have watched coach Rex Ryan’s defense thrive in nearly every way except two-minute drills.

Geno Smith is taking heat for throwing an interception with two minutes left in the first half, but it should not have mattered. The Packers got the ball at their own 3 with 1:52 left, facing Ryan’s self-proclaimed best defense in football.

Instead of bailing out their quarterback with a stop, the Jets’ defense allowed Aaron Rodgers to pick it apart and cut the Jets’ lead to 21-16 with a 6-yard touchdown to Randall Cobb. The teams headed to the locker rooms with the game flipped on its head.

It was reminiscent of the 2009 AFC Championship Game, when the Jets jumped out to a 17-6 lead over the heavily favored Colts. Then Peyton Manning got the ball with 2:11 to go in the half and drove 80 yards, hitting Austin Collie for a touchdown, and you could feel the game slipping away.

You might also remember the work of Tim Tebow in Week 11 of 2011, or Tom Brady tying the game in the final minutes in Week 7 of 2012 to force overtime, or Tony Gonzalez scoring in the final minute two minutes of a Week 15 loss to the Falcons in 2009.

Some rough research shows the Jets have allowed a score in the final minute of a half 43 times under Ryan (not counting defensive touchdowns or one score that came after an interception deep in their own territory). That’s 19 touchdowns, 24 field goals. Sometimes they don’t matter. They have won 20 of those games. But sometimes they are crushing.

It’s a troubling weakness in a Rex Ryan defense. To sound like Kenny Rogers, too often they fold when you desperately need them to hold. It is not a case of Ryan calling off the blitzes usually in this situation. He stays aggressive. But if you look at some of these drives, there almost always is a stupid penalty (Jason Babin’s roughing the passer being the latest). The execution seems to dip. Maybe it’s pressure or the offenses being in hurry-up mode. Whatever it is, it’s a problem that has plagued Rex’s Jets.

Some rough research shows the Jets have allowed a score in the final minute of a half 43 times under Ryan (not counting defensive touchdowns or one score that came after an interception deep in their own territory). That’s 19 touchdowns, 24 field goals. Sometimes they don’t matter. They have won 20 of those games. But sometimes they are crushing.

ruh roh

ruh roh

The Rex debate is kinda starting to resemble the Sanchez and Pennington debates of old, isn't it? Those who are not fans really don't have to rely on much, and every now and then an article comes out that ironically supports a point. While the other side seems to really have to go to extraordinary lengths to make their points.

I also do not find it coincidental that it's pretty much the same bands of old for this one as those two prior eras of argument. Ball don't lie I guess.

The Rex debate is kinda starting to resemble the Sanchez and Pennington debates of old, isn't it? Those who are not fans really don't have to rely on much, and every now and then an article comes out that ironically supports a point. While the other side seems to really have to go to extraordinary lengths to make their points.

I also do not find it coincidental that it's pretty much the same bands of old for this one as those two prior eras of argument. Ball don't lie I guess.

A. That stat is worthless without context.

B. I'd love to see that stat for the almighty Seahawks.

C. Letting up points at the end of a half isn't that big a deal.

D. What do you expect? The team has no talent.

E. We won 20 of those games, so who cares?

F. [Whatever the **** JiF is on about these days]

Spin the wheel!

I think its actually a very talented roster, maybe not super bowl, but a top 12-15 talent level in the NFL roster. And we should be 2-0.  

I love the Jets too but you aren't being objective in that analysis. The only clearly above average unit is the defensive line. 

I love the Jets too but you aren't being objective in that analysis. The only clearly above average unit is the defensive line. 

Bit, I like you, you're an easy going dude and you take a barb well. But c'mon man, this is the exact same argument that you have used for Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, Kerry Rhodes, Chad Pennington, and Mark Sanchez. Don't you think that maybe it is time to start looking at things differently?

Bit, I like you, you're an easy going dude and you take a barb well. But c'mon man, this is the exact same argument that you have used for Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, Kerry Rhodes, Chad Pennington, and Mark Sanchez. Don't you think that maybe it is time to start looking at things differently?

You've given me alot to consider.

I'm going to have to lie down in my bedroom, close my eyes and really figure it all out

eventually, maybe get a message from my poster sized pictures of all those guys, Rex, Vernon Gholston and D-Rob  

You've given me alot to consider.

I'm going to have to lie down in my bedroom, close my eyes and really figure it all out

eventually, maybe get a message from my poster sized pictures of all those guys, Rex, Vernon Gholston and D-Rob  

How does a bowling ball with butcher knives work anyway? You can't bowl with it, you can't cut meat with it either.

Why don't Rex's defense force turnovers? Serious question. Through two games this year we have one on a bungled snap.

To be fair,every statistical analysis so far anyway seems to show turnovers are in fact random. Players can be stripped, but it's as likely over the couse of a season a ball carrier simply drops the ball, QB makes a bad pass or it's tipped. No real rhyme or reason to it. In fact, Bill Barnwell did a breakdown of the 2013 Jets and found 2 very odd statisitcal things things; the point differential was more likely to correspond to a 5-6 win team while at the same time the Jets were historically unlucky when it comes to recovering turnovers. 

So has anyone addressed the fact that the Jets have allowed a score in the last two minutes of a half 43 times since Rex got here?

Despite all the statistical rankings, this defense has never been "elite" under Rex. They have always managed to give up that score, when it matters.

Jif chides fans that they don't watch other teams, in their criticisms with the Jets. I have watched other defenses, and great defenses get the big stops a good majority of the time when they need them. Rex's defense, not so much.

Despite all the statistical rankings, this defense has never been "elite" under Rex. They have always managed to give up that score, when it matters.

Jif chides fans that they don't watch other teams, in their criticisms with the Jets. I have watched other defenses, and great defenses get the big stops a good majority of the time when they need them. Rex's defense, not so much.

Rex's defenses have been more of a bully defense. They destroy bad teams, but good teams usually get the better of them. Many times even average teams get that score against us that they should not. But that is on the players, not Rex. Coaches call the plays, up to the players to execute on them

Like the 49'ers and Seahawks did last weekend?  ;-).

Either way, I agree Rex sucks. I've seen the light.  We should have fired him for someone like Lovie Smith last offseason but that ship has sailed.  Our next Head Coach will be a badass, whoever he is.  He/She cant be worse than Rex, thats for sure.

Rex's defenses have been more of a bully defense. They destroy bad teams, but good teams usually get the better of them. Many times even average teams get that score against us that they should not. But that is on the players, not Rex. Coaches call the plays, up to the players to execute on them

Rex sucks...but this a little bit misleading.  I'm pretty sure there's a stat out there that since Rex took over the Jets, no team has held QB's to a lower QBR than the Jets.  That includes some of the best QB's in the league.  

Rex sucks and so does his defensive scheme, so dont get me wrong here...but sometimes its nice to give the credit to the players overcoming the adversity they face in their Head Coach.

Rex sucks...but this a little bit misleading.  I'm pretty sure there's a stat out there that since Rex took over the Jets, no team has held QB's to a lower QBR than the Jets.  That includes some of the best QB's in the league.  

Rex sucks and so does his defensive scheme, so dont get me wrong here...but sometimes its nice to give the credit to the players overcoming the adversity they face in their Head Coach.

Agreed, Rex is a hell of a defensive coach that has absolutely no business being a head coach in the NFL. As a Pats fan I personally hope the Jets extend him for 10 years.

Like Rex, it has been a steady decline

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/stats/2013/17/DQBR/

Well, in 2013 they were 23rd. So much for that

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/stats/2012/17/DQBR/

2012 they were 9th. So much for that

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/stats/2011/17/DQBR/

2011 they were 3rd

Agreed, Rex is a hell of a defensive coach that has absolutely no business being a head coach in the NFL. As a Pats fan I personally hope the Jets extend him for 10 years.

Meh, his defensive schemes really suck the big one.  Proof is in the pudding on that.  Luckily for him, he's had loaded rosters from top to bottom that has propped him up as this "defensive guru"...I refuse to use "genius".  He'll get another job with a roster no where near as talented as he's had with the Jets and he'll be exposed really fast.  

Archived