is this it for Rex?

Lizard King

I've been a Jets fan since forever.  I even got DirectTV to be able to watch all their games in Fla. I want the Jets to win tonight.  They won't.

Here is what must be done, if the Jets are not to continue their 40+ year seasons of unparalleled mediocrity:

1. Hire Jon Gruden as coach and GM. ;-)

Is this the same coach who won the SB against his former team which was too stupid to change their playbook after he left and then proceeded to run Tampa Bay into the toilet after the SB win? I'll pass.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Misapprehending the relationship between process and result is the new math is gay.

It's ironic that many of the people who want to give Rex a lifelong contract because of the talent he's had to work with are getting impatient with Idzik because he hasn't turned a 6-10 roster into a playoff team after 18 games.

Feel like this was directed at me...but I'm not getting impatient.  I've been saying all offseason that they need another before they're any good and this season was all about Geno and the DL.  Still is its just after watching the rest of the league yesterday, not focused on what the Jets did or didnt do, it became more apparent than ever that the Jets are a far cry from a talented group.  No superstars, no one that you can really just fall in love with as a fan and really nothing exciting to watch. Only a few teams can say that from what I observed yesterday. 

Yes, under the new CBA, cap space can be carried over to next year.  Similar to what Rutgers posted above, I am hoping the plan is to make sure we have a QB this year and then use the cap space to surround him with the talent to compete next season, but I don't think anyone really knows what is in Idzik's head or what his pong term plan is.  That said, I am not giving up on this season, we have a banged up Bears team coming in tonight (to play our banged up Jets team) -- no reason we cannot be 2-1 after tonight.

How much can you roll over into 2015 (or beyond?)in the Jets situation? 

I don't get where all this depth is. Ellis?(pre JI) TJ Barnes? Douzable? Other than that the rest are unproven rookie LB's.

On offense? Powel and Vick?

There was a great thread put up by Jetsfan80 not so long ago where he compared our roster from now to where it was in 2012.

And while as is the wont on this board to not agree with anyone word for word I think he did a good job of illustrating how we have improved from 2012.

Go and take a look at it.

One more draft.

I think we can start having that conversation now. I think we need to be having that conversation now....if Amaro doesnt develop...if Winters continues to get worse...I'm on the he might have to go bandwagon. We had a dozen picks this year and getting zip out of them. This team isnt SF or Seattle where they could easily afford redshirt seasons....we needed talent immediately and have gotten next to nothing from these two drafts except for Sheldon and Geno.

There was a great thread put up by Jetsfan80 not so long ago where he compared our roster from now to where it was in 2012.

And while as is the wont on this board to not agree with anyone word for word I think he did a good job of illustrating how we have improved from 2012.

I found it, thx. Its not far off my opinion.

I think we can start having that conversation now. I think we need to be having that conversation now....if Amaro doesnt develop...if Winters continues to get worse...I'm on the he might have to go bandwagon.

The early returns certainly arent very promising but Geno is getting better, the kid can play.  That's the only draft pick that really matters.  

In general, this board is way to hard on the drafts.  If you land 2 starters out of the draft, it really should be viewed as a success.  The odds are so stacked against players taken past the 2nd round it's ridiculous.  Very hard to find starters in the 3rd and beyond. 

He landed Milliner, Richardson, Geno, Winters and Bohannon - that's 5 starters in his first draft.  Granted 1 isnt very good and probably shouldnt be starting and the other is a FB they hardly use for some reason...but still that's pretty damn good.

This years crew hasnt even played 3 games.  I'm confident Pryor and Amaro will have long careers.  The rest is a disaster thus far...but you never know who's going to take a huge jump next offseason. 

tumblr_lqhgfxdgvz1qbyxtx.gif

The early returns certainly arent very promising but Geno is getting better, the kid can play.  That's the only draft pick that really matters.  

In general, this board is way to hard on the drafts.  If you land 2 starters out of the draft, it really should be viewed as a success.  The odds are so stacked against players taken past the 2nd round it's ridiculous.  Very hard to find starters in the 3rd and beyond. 

He landed Milliner, Richardson, Geno, Winters and Bohannon - that's 5 starters in his first draft.  Granted 1 isnt very good and probably shouldnt be starting and the other is a FB they hardly use for some reason...but still that's pretty damn good.

This years crew hasnt even played 3 games.  I'm confident Pryor and Amaro will have long careers.  The rest is a disaster thus far...but you never know who's going to take a huge jump next offseason. 

Yes that is a fact- most teams are lucky to get that

My concern is we'll never draft young talent consistently for Geno with Rex here. The Pryor pick was too much of a luxury...the receivers on the board there should have been our main priority. Geno's definitely improved...but its still ridiculous what were giving him to work with. With Decker down, it's crap. And Marty doesnt seem willing to adjust his offense...he still wants to throw at will. We're still trying to build a perfect defense at the expense of the offense....I dont know if Rex is willing to let it become Geno's team and not his.

I think we can start having that conversation now. I think we need to be having that conversation now....if Amaro doesnt develop...if Winters continues to get worse...I'm on the he might have to go bandwagon. We had a dozen picks this year and getting zip out of them. This team isnt SF or Seattle where they could easily afford redshirt seasons....we needed talent immediately and have gotten next to nothing from these two drafts except for Sheldon and Geno.

I think we can start discussing it, but I don't think you get a definitive answer until 3 years in.  Richardson looks great, Geno could make or break everything.  Pryor and McDougle both looked good. The offensive linemen and WR all look like disasters so far.  Those were need positions and that exacerbates the issue, but these guys could still turn out to be depth. We still may have something in McDougle and Evans.  Everybody is writing off Saunders, but Kerley went pretty far into his rookie season before catching a pass.  He didn't even get a target until his fourth game. Hopefully, at least on of these offensive linemen is the real deal.  FWIW, Dixon is playing for Tampa.  We just won't know about these guys for a bit.  Ik, Reilly and George - if one or two of them can play.  Having the disuccsion is fair, I just do not think we will actually know for a year.  Actually, a little over a year.

My concern is we'll never draft young talent consistently for Geno with Rex here. The Pryor pick was too much of a luxury...the receivers on the board there should have been our main priority. Geno's definitely improved...but its still ridiculous what were giving him to work with. With Decker down, it's crap. And Marty doesnt seem willing to adjust his offense...he still wants to throw at will. We're still trying to build a perfect defense at the expense of the offense....I dont know if Rex is willing to let it become Geno's team and not his.

Do you really think Rex forced the Pryor pick?  If Rex picked Pryor, then I am against the power structure - not Rex, but a system that allows the coach to force the GM's hand.  If they let Rex pick between Pryor and Clinton-Dix okay, but if he is deciding between Manziel, Pryor and Cooks?  No thanks.  

Cowher has multiple Division titles and Conference Champioships, Rex has neither after 6 years as a HC.

I thought the idea was to win Super Bowls. The fact is that it took 15 years for Cowher to win the big one since his teams always sh*t the bed in the playoffs.

I think we can start discussing it, but I don't think you get a definitive answer until 3 years in.  Richardson looks great, Geno could make or break everything.  Pryor and McDougle both looked good. The offensive linemen and WR all look like disasters so far.  Those were need positions and that exacerbates the issue, but these guys could still turn out to be depth. We still may have something in McDougle and Evans.  Everybody is writing off Saunders, but Kerley went pretty far into his rookie season before catching a pass.  He didn't even get a target until his fourth game. Hopefully, at least on of these offensive linemen is the real deal.  FWIW, Dixon is playing for Tampa.  We just won't know about these guys for a bit.  Ik, Reilly and George - if one or two of them can play.  Having the disuccsion is fair, I just do not think we will actually know for a year.  Actually, a little over a year.

Do you really think Rex forced the Pryor pick?  If Rex picked Pryor, then I am against the power structure - not Rex, but a system that allows the coach to force the GM's hand.  If they let Rex pick between Pryor and Clinton-Dix okay, but if he is deciding between Manziel, Pryor and Cooks?  No thanks.  

Cant say that Rex forced it....but he did have that comment alluding to "him" picking the guy that likes to hit. Coupling back to his comments regarding the Hill pick years prior....idk. I think it's safe to say Rex has at least Woody's ear.

The Sanders pick annoys the hell out of me still.. He's tiny, cant contribute as a WR and we had a ton of space to spend a little on a KR/PR. Ginn or Hester- we should have at least considered....I'd rather burn some money on a short term solution there than burn a mid round pick in a deep draft. Hester and Ginn are sure things as returners...and are probably both better WR's.

I thought the idea was to win Super Bowls. The fact is that it took 15 years for Cowher to win the big one since his teams always sh*t the bed in the playoffs.

Seriously, the majority of Jets fans still have wet dreams about just losing those 2 AFCC games.

Of course the goal is to win Super Bowls. But don't you think it would be a little easier winning the division with a couple of home playoff games and a possible bye?

Seriously, the majority of Jets fans still have wet dreams about just losing those 2 AFCC games.

Of course the goal is to win Super Bowls. But don't you think it would be a little easier winning the division with a couple of home playoff games and a possible bye?

The conference.  Nobody gives a flying **** about winning the division. 

We might not like who he took but Idzik took 3 pass catching options with his first 5 picks.  Agree that taking a S over the WR's was a head scratcher but I guess you just got hope that 1 of those 3 become a big part of the offense.  I think Amaro will a good one and I'd hope they feature him in a Joker type role tonight, especially if Decker cant go.  

Dont know if I agree on the Marty point and that Rex doesnt want it to be Geno's team.  Marty showed he'll commit to the run last year, like he did vs. the Pats and Saints.  You'd hope that Rex has learned that its a QB or bust.  Either way, I dont expect either of them to be here next year so hopefully that change might bring some focus on drafting weaponz....Amari Cooper baby!!!. 

We might not like who he took but Idzik took 3 pass catching options with his first 5 picks. Agree that taking a S over the WR's was a head scratcher but I guess you just got hope that 1 of those 3 become a big part of the offense. I think Amaro will a good one and I'd hope they feature him in a Joker type role tonight, especially if Decker cant go.

Dont know if I agree on the Marty point and that Rex doesnt want it to be Geno's team. Marty showed he'll commit to the run last year, like he did vs. the Pats and Saints. You'd hope that Rex has learned that its a QB or bust. Either way, I dont expect either of them to be here next year so hopefully that change might bring some focus on drafting weaponz....Amari Cooper baby!!!.

Amari ftw

But I still do get the sense Rex is here to win with defense...I don't know how enthused he'd be about us shifting gears and going all out on building the offense.

i personally think we can win games with Geno. It's just a matter of getting the best pieces around him.

But I still do get the sense Rex is here to win with defense...I don't know how enthused he'd be about us shifting gears and going all out on building the offense.

i personally think we can win games with Geno. It's just a matter of getting the best pieces around him.

I dont necessarily think that winning with defense as a strategy/philosophy is a bad thing.  I think its the philosophy of many successful head coaches, you just have to hope they understand that scoring is everything.

Agreed on Geno.  I think he's got the goods and can be a winner in this league and they can build around him.

So has anyone addressed the fact that the Jets have allowed a score in the last two minutes of a half 43 times since Rex got here?

In fairness, terrible as it may sound, I think we do need some context for this.  It sounds like a ton, but it's also about 26% of the time and eliminates other contextual factors.

The conference. Nobody gives a flying **** about winning the division.

And when was the last time the Jets had a home playoff game? Or how about a 1st round bye?

Keep kidding yourself the Jets can just back into the playoffs, win 3 straight road playoff games and then win the Super Bowl.

Only 2 teams out of 48 have done it that way.

Just because the Jets have been incapable of winning the division, I can see why you don't think it important.

Archived