Let's be Honest...

Latinlawyer

Let's be honest here. If we were told the Jets would be up 21-3 at any point in this game or within 7 points with 8 minutes left, we would all have taken that.

This game was a myriad of contradictions...Jets Passing better than the run game? Jets recover an early turnover instead of giving the ball up early? It wasn't until the second half that we saw what we all recognized as vintage jet football. Coaching mistakes and tentative offense with a prevent type D on defense.

Pros

Unleashing Geno worked in the first half. As long as the O-Line held up, Geno played well. When the O-line (winters you suck) started breaking so did Geno.

Decker was good and show seperation. Kerley was great and should have had the Game tying TD (Thanks Morningweg....)

CB's held their ground till the 3rd quarter.

Front seven played well till 3rd quarter.

Folk was good.

Cons

DBs are going to get eaten alive unless we get better pressure late in games.

RBs had an off day.

O-Line was terrible in the second half.

Offensive game planning in  2nd half turned a dynamic offense into a "let's not lose" gameplan...played scared with the calls.

Coaching was the worst I have seen in the second half of the game...it was a tale of two halves...playing not to lose is never a good strategy.

Our punter sucks....really sucks.

Enough with the Widcat/Vick plays, it destroys rythym and we give up down to foolishness. Vick should only be in the game if Geno goes down.

Going Forward

We can beat the Bears, just take the training wheels off the O, like in the first half, and we will be better. Do not handcuff Geno. Its a shame really because this could have been a statement win. Instead, it leaves us with that SOJ (Same Ole' Jets) feeling.

LL

Let's be honest here. If we were told the Jets would be up 21-3 at any point in this game or within 7 points with 8 minutes left, we would all have taken that.

This game was a myriad of contradictions...Jets Passing better than the run game? Jets recover an early turnover instead of giving the ball up early? It wasn't until the second half that we saw what we all recognized as vintage jet football. Coaching mistakes and tentative offense with a prevent type D on defense.

Pros

Unleashing Geno worked in the first half. As long as the O-Line held up, Geno played well. When the O-line (winters you suck) started breaking so did Geno.

Decker was good and show seperation. Kerley was great and should have had the Game tying TD (Thanks Morningweg....)

CB's held their ground till the 3rd quarter.

Front seven played well till 3rd quarter.

Folk was good.

Cons

DBs are going to get eaten alive unless we get better pressure late in games.

RBs had an off day.

O-Line was terrible in the second half.

Offensive game planning in  2nd half turned a dynamic offense into a "let's not lose" gameplan...played scared with the calls.

Coaching was the worst I have seen in the second half of the game...it was a tale of two halves...playing not to lose is never a good strategy.

Our punter sucks....really sucks.

Enough with the Widcat/Vick plays, it destroys rythym and we give up down to foolishness. Vick should only be in the game if Geno goes down.

Going Forward

We can beat the Bears, just take the training wheels off the O, like in the first half, and we will be better. Do not handcuff Geno. Its a shame really because this could have been a statement win. Instead, it leaves us with that SOJ (Same Ole' Jets) feeling.

LL

Well said.

Well said.

Thanks. I just think we should not be caught up in looking at this the wrong way. Its clear that :

1) Tentative coaching

2) Bad O-Line

3) Lack of Run game

Is what killed this game. Geno's INT was not Geno's fault....he was hit as he threw. If he threw without being hit and the ball was INT'ed then yes but he was hit AS HE THREW...that was a failure of the O-line.

LL

Wrote this in another thread but I think it belongs here.

On the offense, this run-first offense lost this game when we have a quarterback whose capable of making plays with his arm. It denied us from getting any more points. Should have been able to keep scoring. 

But the defense had a big role in this loss. A top 3 qb took advantage of a shaky Milliner and 2nd CB. Just like we knew what they were going to do. But we should have seen this coming and we should have tried to score as many points as possible rather than play to not lose.

From the start we should have played WAY more aggressively on offense, we knew Rodgers would start escaping the pocket eventually and that would leave time for his receivers to break free and get open. We should have had more points and morningweig should have let Geno throw the damn ball. When was the last time we had a high scoring game like this that we weren't getting blown out or us dominating? Last year against the Falcons and Geno's arm won us that game, with barely any skill at pass catcher. I'm sick of the babying, we have a capable quarterback.

Aside from that our team played better than their team. Our flaw: secondary. Their strength today: Jordy Nelson making spectacular plays and Rodgers being Rodgers. I will somewhat agree that coaching lost us this game. 

OH. and F*CK VICK.

Agreed...F**k Vick. He is the backup not a secret weapon. Every time he goes in he disrupts the rythym. The ONLY time he should be in there is if Geno gets hurt.

The coaching was tentative...they let Geno play early on but then they started with the two rush one pass Offense and we were screwed. How about pass, run pass, or pass run run or pass pass pass. Why the constant run, run , pass? It was clear by the 3rd quarter that our Rbs were not getting holes, we need to keep passing to move the ball. It would be interesting to see how many drives had a run on 1st, a run on 2nd and a pass on 3rd...and then of those drives how many resulted in a 1st down.

LL

Wrote this in another thread but I think it belongs here.

On the offense, this run-first offense lost this game when we have a quarterback whose capable of making plays with his arm. It denied us from getting any more points. Should have been able to keep scoring. 

But the defense had a big role in this loss. A top 3 qb took advantage of a shaky Milliner and 2nd CB. Just like we knew what they were going to do. But we should have seen this coming and we should have tried to score as many points as possible rather than play to not lose.

From the start we should have played WAY more aggressively on offense, we knew Rodgers would start escaping the pocket eventually and that would leave time for his receivers to break free and get open. We should have had more points and morningweig should have let Geno throw the damn ball. When was the last time we had a high scoring game like this that we weren't getting blown out or us dominating? Last year against the Falcons and Geno's arm won us that game, with barely any skill at pass catcher. I'm sick of the babying, we have a capable quarterback.

Aside from that our team played better than their team. Our flaw: secondary. Their strength today: Jordy Nelson making spectacular plays and Rodgers being Rodgers. I will somewhat agree that coaching lost us this game. 

OH. and F*CK VICK.

I agree with most of this, but c'mon.  From the start?  They scored TDs on their first 3 drives.  They went for it on 4th down because they knew that FGs would not be enough.  They threw a bomb (the pick) with two minutes left in the half because they knew 24 points would not be enough.  The idea that there was a lack of agression is hilarious.  They lost momentum.  Decker got hurt and he was probably 75% of the passing game early.  On D, I think they tried a bunch of stuff and I think Milliner looked pretty good in the first half.  If I had to guess I would say that they tried to match him up with Nelson because of that and he wasn't up to it. 

Agreed...F**k Vick. He is the backup not a secret weapon. Every time he goes in he disrupts the rythym. The ONLY time he should be in there is if Geno gets hurt.

The coaching was tentative...they let Geno play early on but then they started with the two rush one pass Offense and we were screwed. How about pass, run pass, or pass run run or pass pass pass. Why the constant run, run , pass? It was clear by the 3rd quarter that our Rbs were not getting holes, we need to keep passing to move the ball. It would be interesting to see how many drives had a run on 1st, a run on 2nd and a pass on 3rd...and then of those drives how many resulted in a 1st down.

LL

I want to say almost all of them, minus the final drive, started with run. It's ridiculous. And we're surprised. Words from Rex, "we're going to run the ball on them". Shocking that they knew it was coming. 

I agree with most of this, but c'mon.  From the start?  They scored TDs on their first 3 drives.  They went for it on 4th down because they knew that FGs would not be enough.  They threw a bomb (the pick) with two minutes left in the half because they knew 24 points would not be enough.  The idea that there was a lack of agression is hilarious.  They lost momentum.  Decker got hurt and he was probably 75% of the passing game early.  On D, I think they tried a bunch of stuff and I think Milliner looked pretty good in the first half.  If I had to guess I would say that they tried to match him up with Nelson because of that and he wasn't up to it. 

Okay but the first possession started from the 15, and after the half we played the same offense we saw last year. The run on first and second, incomplete pass on third. And that let the game get away from us while rodgers was busy tearing our secondary. 

Granted I don't ever remember this team scoring 3 for 3 with TDs. But we should have known better. They were in the red zone the same amount of times we were in the first half. It's not really like our defense was really working after their first two possessions. 

Okay but the first possession started from the 15, and after the half we played the same offense we saw last year. The run on first and second, incomplete pass on third. And that let the game get away from us while rodgers was busy tearing our secondary. 

Granted I don't ever remember this team scoring 3 for 3 with TDs. But we should have known better. They were in the red zone the same amount of times we were in the first half. It's not really like our defense was really working after their first two possessions. 

If you think they ran and first and second down, I am not sure you watched the game.  

It would seem the Pack geared up to stop the run and that is why the pass was so successful.  Then after Decker went out, nothing was particularly successful. 

If you think they ran and first and second down, I am not sure you watched the game.  

It would seem the Pack geared up to stop the run and that is why the pass was so successful.  Then after Decker went out, nothing was particularly successful. 

I meant on the second half that's how the possessions went. Nothing was particularly successful in the second half after decker went out because we were running the ball unsuccessfully. You take away that last drive when geno was throwing the ball I'd say we ran it 75% of the time. 

EDIT: And that last drive was our most successful drive of the second half (yardage wise), and geno was throwing the ball. I think our quarterback thrives in a non-ground and pound system with receivers that can get open. 

I meant on the second half that's how the possessions went. Nothing was particularly successful in the second half after decker went out because we were running the ball unsuccessfully. You take away that last drive when geno was throwing the ball I'd say we ran it 75% of the time. 

If anything, I think they threw on first down more often in the 2nd half.  Check the play by play.  There was only one drive in the whole second half where they ran on first and second down in back to back plays (unless you count Geno running as a run play).  

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201409140gnb.htm

If anything, I think they threw on first down more often in the 2nd half.  Check the play by play.  There was only one drive in the whole second half where they ran on first and second down in back to back plays (unless you count Geno running as a run play).  

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201409140gnb.htm

I'm probably just emphasizing on the ones that really stuck out. There were a few more than one, but I guess it just pisses me off enough to make it seem like there were more. You're right about the momentum, as that clearly was probably the biggest factor, but I still think morningweig should have been more about scoring points than savoring the lead. 

Sidenote: if we continue to see vick on the field I think that's acceptable grounds to fire his *ss.

LL

Nothing was working offensively in the 2nd half on first down.  Neither run nor pass.  We ran 13 first down plays in the 2nd half -- 7 rushes for 15 yards.  5 called pass plays resulted in 1 completion, 2 incompletions and 2 sacks for a total of 4 yards. One 5 yard GB penalty was the 13th play.  Thats 19 yards of total offense plus five penalty yards on 13 1st down snaps in the 2nd half.

We were constantly behind the down and distance in the 2nd half.

And how many times did Jeff Cumberland whiff on a block -- we had a few running okays where Johnson was going wide, looked like he had a lane to cutback to be stopped for two yard or less because Cumby's guy was able to fill the lane and turn a potential big gain into 2 yards or less.

Very frustrating afternoon.

Return game looks real weak as well. It's odd, we used to be an organization that prided itself on good special teams, now we couldn't be more indifferent.

That left when Westoff left. I don't expect us to be great at special teams like we used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't put my finger on one thing except for the fact that these are the Jets, the same ol snakebitten frickin' Jets. Love like we do, let's face the facts guys, decade in and decade out year in year out game in and game out: this is the unluckiest team in all professional sports. With the exception of one bright shiny moment in the south Florida sun.

The JETS coaching brass has to make a decision. And the decision is do they trust Geno or not ?

They have given Geno two new weapons. Decker and Chris Johnson. But there is not much there after that. But Geno looks a whole lot better and might benefit from the trust of the coaches.

Once the JETS  brass decide they trust Geno then they have to burn all the WIlcat and Vick package plays.

In 2 games our redzone playcalling is still atrocious. We do not have a single receiving TD when the team is in the red zone in 2 games. That's not acceptable.

Archived