Let me guess. Geno is blameless

DonCorleone

smart how? it's obvious that he stinks and doesn't have the gray matter to ever get it. cut losses and establish vick as starter. at the very least don't repeat sanchez mistake by claiming competition and making him de facto unbenchable. jalen saunders benched for muffing a punt. geno untouchable despite historically bad qb play. let's see if he uses a ride on the pine as motivation or tries to run and hide like he did from the draft until his agent talked him off the ledge. if he wilts, well back to qb search next year who can actually be developed properly by sitting behind vick for a year or until he gets hurt.

Lol. Completing 60% of his passes for 316 yards and a TD is historically bad?

They're, intelligently, going to see if he can work thru his turnover issues because they can see he's improved already in other aspects of the position. There's no benefit to benching him. If he doesn't improve, they look for a new starter next year. If that's the route they're going to go, they'll want to make sure they exhausted the Geno option first. They're making a rational decision rather than an emotional one.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, I don't think it's entirely fair to compare second round Geno to the second and third overall picks in the draft, but he compares much more favorably than you're letting on. Better completion percentage than McNabb, a full yard better in ypa. It's just the damn interceptions.

it's a different game now though, one that has been heavily slanted in the favor of passing offenses

Lol. Completing 60% of his passes for 316 yards and a TD is historically bad?

They're, intelligently, going to see if he can work thru his turnover issues because they can see he's improved already in other aspects of the position. There's no benefit to benching him. If he doesn't improve, they look for a new starter next year. If that's the route they're going to go, they'll want to make sure they exhausted the Geno option first. They're making a rational decision rather than an emotional one.

Leads league in pick sixes. Horrid ints. I might agree if the turnovers were geno trying to force some throws but that screen int was a total joke. And the If I'm right they won't be able to fight it much longer. Will be interesting to watch.

yet again Geno managed yet another pick 6. Another touchdown given away.He is not progressing. Should have been intercepted at least 3 other times.....I don't care who the new coach will be next season...The Jets cannot win with Idzik/Geno.

After 40 years of being a fan I have come to realize that this team will never win. 

If you can't win with Parcells you can't win with anybody.

You have an owner who is clueless and is only interested in his next dollar and the next headline.

A GM who is fresh out of the Sandy Alderson school of penny pinching  

A coach who just like his Dad can give a rats ass about building an offense.

A QB who can look great at times but then will go and make some god awful decisions at the worst times.

At this point go ahead put Vick in there. He isn't going to suddenly and magically turn this team around.  

This is a 1-6 team once we get through this stretch and will probably finish around 7-9.

hey don, dontcha know the jets don't give a crap about your opinions. i heard that from a mod. wonder why this site even exists. i thought this was a direct line to woody this whole time. but i do give a crap about your very astute observation here.

Why are you crying?

After 40 years of being a fan I have come to realize that this team will never win. 

You have an owner who is clueless and is only interested in his next dollar and the next headline.

A QB who can look great at times but then will go and make some god awful decisions at the worst times.

At this point go ahead put Vick in there. He isn't going to suddenly and magically turn this team around.  

This is a 1-6 team once we get through this stretch and will probably finish around 7-9.

To be fair, they didn't win with Parcells but a big part of that was becuase of Parcells.  Don't get me wrong, in the grand scheme of things, he was great for the organization...but building a SB contender and getting a guy like Rick Mirer as  your no. 2 QB in the event Vinny goes down was a horrible decision.  He also set the franchise back quite a bit with his drafts.  Some of his drafts make the last decade of picks for the Jets look brilliant.

This is not true.  I believe Woody Johnson does care about the team and not just the next dollar.  This is why he had Korn Ferry recommend the GM.  Johnson is a well known philanthropist.  He is not money hungry.  

The jury is still out on Idzik.  I don't see the reason why we didnt use our cap room but you have to give the guy another 2 years before you put a label on him.  

We all knew that this could happen.  We knew what weeks 2-7 were going to be.  Let's not act like this is a big shocker.

I don't like the trending of Geno Smith either - the curve is moving in the wrong direction.

Mistakes he can learn from  - I say can, not will. If he doesn't it wont be from lack of effort.

My concern with him is accuracy which I also understand has a direct correlation to timing

with some less than stellar WR's.

But he seldom is on the money with his throws and it's an obvious concern. 

I get that his footwork and planting can be improved upon which can impact accuracy greatly,

but he throws poorly from the pocket too.

That said, we have nothing to gain by having M. Vick taking snaps away from him. We need to see if he can develop

and that's not done with him watching M. Vick. Aaron Rodgers maybe, but not Mike Vick.

Maybe I cant remember....but is there a play you guys are referencing where Geno isnt hitting guys in stride?

Decker dropped a touchdown against GB. Amaro dropped a pass that hit him in the numbers...If guys were getting open and were being forced to jump and make catches behind them I'd get it...but I think he's been pretty decent with his accuracy. The balls that are sailing are mostly from middle pressure because Winters cant block.

Making Idzik keep Rex was crazy, frankly I don't think I've ever seen that happen in the NFL before. Probably has, but very illogical.

I wonder if Idzik wanted to keep Rex. They seem pretty chummy in pressers and in the offseason.

what were the alternatives? 

Maybe I cant remember....but is there a play you guys are referencing where Geno isnt hitting guys in stride?

Decker dropped a touchdown against GB. Amaro dropped a pass that hit him in the numbers...If guys were getting open and were being forced to jump and make catches behind them I'd get it...but I think he's been pretty decent with his accuracy. The balls that are sailing are mostly from middle pressure because Winters cant block.

He's missed high a couple of times but I dont see these accuracy issues either.  Didnt after the pick 6 he completed like 13 of his next 15 or something like that?  He also completed passes to 9 different receivers, 7 of which caught more than 1 pass, which to me would indicate that he's working through his progressions.

The kid can play.  

He's missed high a couple of times but I dont see these accuracy issues either.  Didnt after the pick 6 he completed like 13 of his next 15 or something like that?  He also completed passes to 9 different receivers, 7 of which caught more than 1 pass, which to me would indicate that he's working through his progressions.

The kid can play.  

Yeah, accuracy is not an issue. He was 23 of 28 in the GB game with two drops and two throwaways. That pretty ******* accurate. 

The Jets took a QB in the second round of the draft in a weak class last year. Kid was thrown into the fire prematurely due to the injury to Sanchez. He wasn't ready. He's still making mistakes this year, but he's also shown some real improvement. The team needs a QB going forward. Geno, for all his flaws, is their best option. The Jets aren't built to win now, so putting the band-aid that is Michael Vick on the problem is no solution. Much better to ride it out with Geno and see if he gets better or worse. If he gets better, maybe they have a QB. If he gets worse, then they know they have to get one next year.

If he gets better, the Jets will win games. If he gets worse, they'll lose games and be in better draft position as well. The people looking for Rex to be fired might also get their wish.

I understand not liking the kid, but sticking with him this year is the smart play.

This is called wishful thinking. There is little if any data to support that assertion, and in fact much to refute it.Smith is a mistake-prone turnover machine.Small sample, yet he already leads NFL QBs in total turnovers with 5 and INTs with 4.  Sure Kleck is about to break out the various comps of HoF QBs who had rough starts(echoes of "Eli had 3 rough years and won it all in his 4th, therefore Sanchez will too!" nonsense) while ignoring the legion of Matt Leinarts and David Klinglers that are Smith's true comps. 

As to accuracy-his one pass to Decker may have gotten him injured going up to get it. His pass to Salas might have been the onlly time we had YAC all night. 

I don't like Vick as a person. But since he's 1. here and 2. a seasoned NFL QB who was brought here presicely to take the helm if SMith didn't work out(and he hasn't), its' time to play Vick. That was the reason he was signed. Because the schedule gets rough for about a month and if the jets don't win 1 or 2 of these games the playoffs is not going to happen. You cannot give up on the season in September. Continuing to play Smith is giving up. And for what-to cover the GM's ass for the mistake of picking him? That didn't work with Sanchez/Tannenbaum, it won't work with Idizk/Smith any better.Let's worry about 2014 right now and stop with the insane idea Smith is any better than a scrub.  

This is called wishful thinking. There is little if any data to support that assertion, and in fact much to refute it.Smith is a mistake-prone turnover machine.Small sample, yet he already leads NFL QBs in total turnovers with 5 and INTs with 4.  Sure Kleck is about to break out the various comps of HoF QBs who had rough starts(echoes of "Eli had 3 rough years and won it all in his 4th, therefore Sanchez will too!" nonsense) while ignoring the legion of Matt Leinarts and David Klinglers that are Smith's true comps. 

As to accuracy-his one pass to Decker may have gotten him injured going up to get it. His pass to Salas might have been the onlly time we had YAC all night. 

I don't like Vick as a person. But since he's 1. here and 2. a seasoned NFL QB who was brought here presicely to take the helm if SMith didn't work out(and he hasn't), its' time to play Vick. That was the reason he was signed. Because the schedule gets rough for about a month and if the jets don't win 1 or 2 of these games the playoffs is not going to happen. You cannot give up on the season in September. Continuing to play Smith is giving up. And for what-to cover the GM's ass for the mistake of picking him? That didn't work with Sanchez/Tannenbaum, it won't work with Idizk/Smith any better.Let's worry about 2014 right now and stop with the insane idea Smith is any better than a scrub.

Michael Vick is also a turnover machine, and has been for his entire, lengthy career. If turnovers are your issue, he's really not the guy to turn to to clean them up. I'd rather give Geno a chance at this stage of his career to see if he can start to overcome the problem. I already know that Vick can't.

Let me make this perfectly clear for all of the mentally challenged readers of this site - I in no way made a value based comparison of Geno Smith and Peyton Manning as football players. I was speaking solely about how the same impatient morons who are ready to throw in the towel for the season on Geno Smith after only three games would likely have reacted the same way back in 1999 had they been rooting for the Colts.  GFY

Please remove your head from your ass when reading and posting moving forward. 

That is all.

Michael Vick is also a turnover machine, and has been for his entire, lengthy career. If turnovers are your issue, he's really not the guy to turn to to clean them up. I'd rather give Geno a chance at this stage of his career to see if he can start to overcome the problem. I already know that Vick can't.

Very well said. 

Let me make this perfectly clear for all of the mentally challenged readers of this site - I in no way made a value based comparison of Geno Smith and Peyton Manning as football players. I was speaking solely about how the same impatient morons who are ready to throw in the towel for the season on Geno Smith after only three games would likely have reacted the same way back in 1999 had they been rooting for the Colts.  GFY

Please remove your head from your ass when reading and posting moving forward. 

That is all.

Then why do you keep making  EXACTLY those moronic nonsensical comparisons? How about Akili Smith and Todd Maronivich or Dave Brown? Do i need to start looking at around 2009 for the same nonsense to show it isn't the first time you've done this? 

Simple fact-Geno Smith so far is a bad QB. 

He would have ball security issues. He also would still be better than Geno Smith, who has played 19 games, not 3. 

What is Vick going to improve upon with this group? If the move is to just line him up under center and hand off- that's thebl only reason I'd see for the switch. Genos the better passer. If Vick doesn't have a deep threat he's pretty useless. The personnel on offense is laughably bad.

Then why do you keep making  EXACTLY those moronic nonsensical comparisons? How about Akili Smith and Todd Maronivich or Dave Brown? Do i need to start looking at around 2009 for the same nonsense to show it isn't the first time you've done this? 

Simple fact-Geno Smith so far is a bad QB. 

Keep making? 

:face:

He would have ball security issues. He also would still be better than Geno Smith, who has played 19 games, not 3. 

And please answer my original question which you have yet to remotely address - what possible benefit can be gleaned from starting Vick at this point?  

If he actually wins more games than Smith (highly unlikely) it just gets us a worse pick in next year's draft since there is not a snowball's chance in Hell Vick leads us to a title. Plus if you hate Rex and want him gone, Vick winning more games increases the liklihood Rex returns next year. 

There is absolutely no logical sense to playing Vick over Smith right now. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. 

The anger should be directed at John Idzik, not Geno.

This was an offseason where needed an A+ and it looks like we flunked it. There's a way to be aggressive in free agency without overspending. Too many pointless picks in the draft. I have no idea where this team is going.

First off, I don't think it's entirely fair to compare second round Geno to the second and third overall picks in the draft, but he compares much more favorably than you're letting on. Better completion percentage than McNabb, a full yard better in ypa. It's just the damn interceptions.

That's a fair point. The Int's are a big deal though.

And please answer my original question which you have yet to remotely address - what possible benefit can be gleaned from starting Vick at this point?  

If he actually wins more games than Smith (highly unlikely) it just gets us a worse pick in next year's draft since there is not a snowball's chance in Hell Vick leads us to a title. Plus if you hate Rex and want him gone, Vick winning more games increases the liklihood Rex returns next year. 

There is absolutely no logical sense to playing Vick over Smith right now. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. 

Let me preface this by saying I agree Geno should start over Vick. He's the better player right now. 

However it isn't crazy to imagine Vick in a late 90's Vinny Testaverde type scenario. He's what, 34? Plenty of years left. Both he and Vinny were rare athletes and former 1 overall picks. Peyton is 41, Brady is 39, Vick is far from that point. 

This idea that they can't play Vick cause he's not "the future" is not entirely accurate. He could be the near future. It's not likely but it's at least feasible (btw how feasible is it that Geno will stop throwing bed-crapping pick 6s?)

Again I'm not recommending this but the "there's no logical sense" argument seems to assume Vick is like 50 years old. He's not Mark Brunnell or David Garrard. There's some life there. 

Yes it is. 

The Vinny T scenario was unlikely when it happened the first time. Im just saying it's been done before. You say it's impossible, well it's not. 

BTW believing Geno will suddenly be great is sane?

This guy didn't look before throwing a screen pass.  

The Vinny T scenario was unlikely when it happened the first time. Im just saying it's been done before. You say it's impossible, well it's not. 

BTW believing Geno will suddenly be great is sane?

This guy didn't look before throwing a screen pass.  

It's crazy to think you are going to catch lightening in a bottle with a QB on the wrong side of 30 again. 

Vinny was 34 in 1998, same as Vick is now. But Vinny was only a year removed from his best season as a Pro - 1996, when he threw for more than 4000 yards and 33 TDs for the Ravens. 

Vick is four years removed from his best 3/4 season as a pro.  Ever since then he has had worse than 1:1 TD:TO ratio. 33 total TDs (28 passing): 38 total turnovers (27 INT.) 

Vinny had one injury plagued year between his Pro Bowl 1996 year and his Pro Bowl 1998 year. Vick's had three disastrous season's since having what really only amounted to a nice 12 game stretch.

Archived