Jets’ Early Start Should Motivate Idzik

JetNation

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams now have 3 years to spend to the floor.

It actually sounds more like 4.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/2/17/3997314/nfl-salary-cap-2013-amount-salary-floor

But still they have to spend. 

Let's do the math right now the Jets are cap hitting roughly 105 mil on a 133 mil cap,

the floor is 113 or 89% of the cap. 

they are currently below the floor. 

If they do it again next year, they have to "make up for it" in years 3 and 4 to get to that floor. Which will probably be going up because it's 89% of any given year. Which makes the spend in the later years higher. 

They can't spend 90 mil (15 of it dead space) every year that's for damn sure 

Right now, this is the cheapest roster in the NFL. This is not hyperbole. No one in this league, out of 32 teams, is spending less on their 2014 players than the New York Jets. Total cash spend, the lowest. It used to be Houston but they resigned Watt. 

Think about that. The cheapest roster in football.

It's not Jacksonville, Oakland, Tennessee, TB, etc. It's the Jets.

This is a team that was within a possession of the Bears who are spending up against the cap.

we can all agree they aren't the worst team in the league. 

and it's not the QB that's raising the tide. 

It's the defense and Rex that makes this team even competitive.

Great positive spin here. This is an undisciplined team because we have an undisciplined head coach. A few less penalties, and a few less turnovers and we are 3-0 with the 8th ranked offense and 2nd ranked defense in the league. The ejection of Wilkerson week 2, the false starts and offsides calls in week 1, the sloppy turnovers in week 3. It's all about the culture you create. There are a bunch of good things to be excited about with this young team in year 2 of a major rebuild, but there is no question we are a sloppy undisciplined team. And the schedule doesn't get easier. Rex better learn how to be a head coach in the next 2 months or he's out. 4 straight years without playoffs in NY? Not gunna fly

What spin?  It's all fact.  Jets have been competitive and Idzik needs to make a move to take advantage of the fact that this team is probably better than he anticipated.

It actually sounds more like 4.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/2/17/3997314/nfl-salary-cap-2013-amount-salary-floor

But still they have to spend. 

Let's do the math right now the Jets are cap hitting roughly 105 mil on a 133 mil cap,

the floor is 113 or 89% of the cap. 

they are currently below the floor. 

If they do it again next year, they have to "make up for it" in years 3 and 4 to get to that floor. Which will probably be going up because it's 89% of any given year. Which makes the spend in the later years higher. 

They can't spend 90 mil (15 of it dead space) every year that's for damn sure 

I don't think that's actually how the floor works.   I believe that it is cash spending NOT salary cap.    I don't think the dead money counts towards the floor but a big signing bonus would.  

Miles Austin was out there at WR. Idzik would rather have David Nelson. Why? Cause he's younger and cheaper. There's no football reason why Nelson is a better player to have on the roster than Austin (neither play specials). 

The fact that Salas and Nelson are 2 of the Jets primary WRs gives you an idea of just how bad Idzik is at drafting.  

Big trades, let alone big midseason trades, very rarely happen in the NFL. No one worthwhile is going to shake through. Closest was the Johnson/Fitzgerald rumors early on. I wonder if the Cardinals might trade Fitzgerald this offseason.

Yeah, I know. Hence the second guessing of the article.

Fitz will be made available. So will Andre.

First off signing Revis doesn't wreck your financial future. People forget that the cap goes up every year. It went up like 10 mil this year. IT's probably gonna keep growing at a similar rate. Why? Because the league revenues keep going up. they just signed a direct tv contract that would make your eyes bleed. The point is that teams don't have to save for the future. The future takes care of itself. Look at the Cowboys who got a salary cap penalty last year, didn't stop them from making moves, because the cap went up. 

as for the missed opportunities, certainly the Jets could have used Vernon Davis or DRC. There were good CBs out there. They missed out on all of em and went with Dimitri Patterson.

Miles Austin was out there at WR. Idzik would rather have David Nelson. Why? Cause he's younger and cheaper. There's no football reason why Nelson is a better player to have on the roster than Austin (neither play specials). 

Vernon Davis the TE? I think you mean Vontae Davis.

usually top free agents get signed the first day of free agency. that's a given. jets were in serious negotiations with davis till they pulled out for whatever reason. it wasn't like davis signed with the colts the second free agency started and was fair game to all 32 teams for the entire day. the colts just traded 2 2nd round picks for davis, and davis was coming off a pretty strong year. if idzik thought he could swoop in and sign davis on the cheap, well that's just another huge sign that idzik is in over his head. the colts offered more money,bottom line

usually top free agents get signed the first day of free agency. that's a given. jets were in serious negotiations with davis till they pulled out for whatever reason. it wasn't like davis signed with the colts the second free agency started and was fair game to all 32 teams for the entire day. the colts just traded 2 2nd round picks for davis, and davis was coming off a pretty strong year. if idzik thought he could swoop in and sign davis on the cheap, well that's just another huge sign that idzik is in over his head. the colts offered more money,bottom line

Free agency started at 4. They announced the deal at 5.

All things considered I'm actually ok with not locking into a CB. Allen and Walls have both played pretty well...and we're seeing Allen has the ability to be a real difference maker roaming the middle of the field.

Guard and WR- brutal though.

Can you imagine had idzik not gotten lucky with Gianconi which had been the best of the Jets OL.

Free agency started at 4. They announced the deal at 5.

whenever the negotiations happened, they were outbid. Wasn't there like a week of legal team-agent contact this year?

it wasn't  just Vontae either. Remember how many threads there were about all the guys they could have signed? They got Decker and missed out on everyone else good and re-upped on Folk. 

The signings were Decker, Vick,  Dimitri Patterson, Chris Johnson etc. Not alot of football results to show for these additions. 

All things considered I'm actually ok with not locking into a CB. Allen and Walls have both played pretty well...and we're seeing Allen has the ability to be a real difference maker roaming the middle of the field.

Guard and WR- brutal though.

We'd be ok at receiver if Decker wasn't hurt.  We're experiencing the fallout from Hill being so brutal. 

The guard situation kind of sucks.  Seems like Winters gets absolutely blown up in pass protection at least twice a game.

in the immortal words of jim fassel, "you have to do a better job at getting better than the other guy"

this team has a coaching issue not a talent issue. 

I disagree to an extent. rex's x's and o's aren't the greatest, and at times pulls some bizarre stuff, but players tend to play for rex. the talent level at some of the positions are atrocious. the fact that the jets were competitive in the last 3 games is more of a triumph for rex than it is for idzik

I disagree to an extent. rex's x's and o's aren't the greatest, and at times pulls some bizarre stuff, but players tend to play for rex. the talent level at some of the positions are atrocious. the fact that the jets were competitive in the last 3 games is more of a triumph for rex than it is for idzik

the giants are getting better.  the jets are not.  the giants have huge holes in their roster.  but they are getting better

it's coaching.   they can't substitute correctly.  they can't preserve timeouts.  they make the same mistakes every week. 

the giants are getting better.  the jets are not.  the giants have huge holes in their roster.  but they are getting better

it's coaching.   they can't substitute correctly.  they can't preserve timeouts.  they make the same mistakes every week. 

I cannot tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but aren't you like the biggest Rex fan on the planet after Jif?

I cannot tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but aren't you like the biggest Rex fan on the planet after Jif?

no.   his head coaching skills are very different from his defensive skills.  a lot of people don't understand his defense, so I like to clear it up from time to time

as a head coach he is garbage

and I'm including all the coaches btw.   nobody gets a pass

no.   his head coaching skills are very different from his defensive skills.  a lot of people don't understand his defense, so I like to clear it up from time to time

as a head coach he is garbage

and I'm including all the coaches btw.   nobody gets a pass

I still think you are being sarcastic, I think you went to the Jif school of trolling

Archived