Coples in the Midst of a Breakthrough Year

BroadwayJoe12

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-ny-jets-quinton-coples-finally-breakthrough-linebacker-article-1.1954928?fafa&utm_content=buffer64107&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDNSportsTw

Quinton Coples hears and reads the cheap shots, insults and (sometimes) constructive criticism without losing sight of what matters most in his life. He is a physical force, a large human, but his goals stretch far beyond the confines of the game he was blessed to play.

“I want to be great,” Coples told the Daily News in a quiet moment. “I want to be mentioned as one of the greats. I want to have a positive legacy. I want people to be inspired by me. I want to be a positive role model and my legacy to live through somebody else that saw me or liked what I did. If I make it to the Hall of Fame or if I get all those accolades that you get with this game, that’s great. But it’s not like, at the end, if I don’t get that, I’ll go crazy. I don’t look at it like that.”

In many ways, Coples is a gentle giant, a 6-6, 270-pound physical anomaly that wasn’t designed to kill. Some suggest that he should play with a nastier streak on Sundays, inject a little crazy into his game, but he says he isn’t wired that way.

“People look at us as gladiators (like) we are all crazy and we just go out there and fight and beat up on each other,” Coples said. “Take the helmet off and be who you are. Whether I’m playing football or if you catch me out on the streets or at lunch at a diner or a coffee shop, I am who I am. I ain’t gonna change because I play in the NFL. I don’t change for nobody . . . or nothing.”

He is a man of faith who believes the Bible can navigate you through most of life’s obstacles. His professional challenges after the Jets took him with the 16th pick of the 2012 draft emboldened him when he could have easily crumbled.

The criticism grew louder last year as he struggled to transition from defensive end to outside linebacker. A hairline fracture in his ankle in the preseason slowed his development, prompting questions about whether he’d ever live up to his first-round status that he shares with teammates Mo Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson.

When the noise around Coples became deafening, his mind-set was simple: Stay the course.

After making a living in college and his rookie season with his hand in the dirt, blazing full speed ahead, Coples needed to embrace a new set of responsibilities. Rex Ryan wanted him to stand up on the edge and learn to drop into coverage. Coples finished with only 4 1/2 sacks in 14 games, but there were flashes that he wanted to cultivate. He transformed his body by losing 20 pounds in the offseason on a strict diet to better fit his new, versatile role.

Coples, once believed to be on a path to mediocrity, has been a difference maker through the first three weeks.

“Yeah, you want 15 sacks from a guy who’s actually working in reverse half the time,” Ryan said of the misguided criticism last year. “But this kid’s playing his butt off right now. It takes a little time for some of these guys who converted. Now he’s very confident with what he’s doing. When you talk about Sheldon Richardson or you talk about Muhammad Wilkerson, all those real good players we have, well, you got to put Coples in there, too.”

Coples ranked third among 3-4 outside linebackers in Pass Rush Productivity, a Pro Football Focus formula that combines sacks, quarterback hits and hurries relative to the number of times a player rushes the passer.

He was third behind Washington’s Ryan Kerrigan and San Diego’s Dwight Freeney with eight hurries and 12 pressures through three games. He’s also improved in perimeter run support. Opponents have tried to run away from Calvin Pace’s side and at Coples without much success. “He has confidence in his ability and he has confidence in the defense,” defensive line coach Karl Dunbar said. “And it’s starting to show.”

Coples had been an easy target the past two years for disgruntled fans unaware of the young player’s growing responsibilities in Ryan’s complex defensive scheme. Questions about an inconsistent motor trailed him. Former Jets great Joe Klecko’s claim that Coples “looked like Tarzan, played like Jane” grabbed headlines, too.

Coples didn’t flinch, showing more maturity in his 24-year-old body than people twice his age. He knows that there are some people who are likely waiting for him to fail.

“There’s not one perfect person who ever walked this Earth,” Coples said. “Jesus was perfect. But they talked about him, they spit on him, they killed him, they crucified him. There’s never been one person who’s been the best who hasn’t had something bad said about him, whether it was an athlete, the President. It’s never going to end. There’s always going to be something. So you can’t defeat that. Why would I let that interfere with my life or mess me up?”

So, he goes about his business with the volume turned down. On Mondays through Saturdays, he occasionally reads and laughs at the potshots from lowlifes flexing their Internet muscle on social media.

On Sundays, he keeps his chatter to a minimum. (“Why do I have to tell you that I’m going to smack you in your mouth? I’m just going to do it.”).

“He’s cutting loose,” Richardson said. “I was expecting this last year, but I told y’all that the ankle slowed him down a lot. But hey, he’s at full-go now. There’s no looking back.”

Life has been good to Quinton Coples.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Him and Demario have been standing out to me a lot over the past few weeks.  Hard work pays off.

coples has a lot of qb pressures. he needs to be a half a step quicker to convert those to sacks. demario has a lot to learn at the linebacker position. while he has been a beast rushing the passer, he leaves a lot to be desired at the other aspects of his game

Sheldon looks about the same. The Jets D line is horrible, maybe worst in the league when you base it on individual stats.

Definitely...looked at the stats today and it's time to clean house. Off-season needs...LOLB ROLB LDE RDE NT WR CB OG.

Report: Vilma lead the league in tackles. Fans claim he had DPOY type season.

T0mShane: "Vilma's tackles were a useless 8 yards down-field, 5 yards after he made contact with ball-carrier. Tackles are a completely useless stat."

Report: Coples is currently PFFs 3rd ranked 3-4 linebacker w/eight hurries and twelve pressures. People believe he's headed towards breakout year.

T0mShane: "ZOMG Coples is on pace for 5 sacks and only 16 of the most important stat there is."  

You're letting your narrative of how Rex ruined Coples by converting him to a position he couldn't play completely blind you with how he's actually been a very disruptive force and is on his way to having a top 5 type season for his respective position.  Again, I know numbers confuse you, but top 3 for an OLB is actually a good thing.

maurice-jones-drew-fumble-kick-back-to-d

Quinton Coples has one voracious appetite for making big hits behind the LOS.  Here's hoping Rex uses him effectively.  I am terribly sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.  But with the end of JI is this the preferred internet forum to frequent for Jets fans?  

T0mShane: "Vilma's tackles were a useless 8 yards down-field, 5 yards after he made contact with ball-carrier. Tackles are a completely useless stat."

Report: Coples is currently PFFs 3rd ranked 3-4 linebacker w/eight hurries and twelve pressures. People believe he's headed towards breakout year.

T0mShane: "ZOMG Coples is on pace for 5 sacks and only 16 of the most important stat there is."

You're letting your narrative of how Rex ruined Coples by converting him to a position he couldn't play completely blind you with how he's actually been a very disruptive force and is on his way to having a top 5 type season for his respective position. Again, I know numbers confuse you, but top 3 for an OLB is actually a good thing.

Your defense of Rex has completely ruined your standards. I'm gonna sit here and eat this apple while you tell me how drafting a pass rusher at 18 who--as it turns out--doesn't really rush the passer is a good thing.

Also, lol at "top five season at his position."

i8SpBem.gif

Your defense of Rex has completely ruined your standards. I'm gonna sit here and eat this apple while you tell me how drafting a pass rusher at 18 who--as it turns out--doesn't really rush the passer is a good thing.

dude

stop it

You probably still use RBIs and and batting average as the gold standard to measure batters too don't ya??

Again, sacks are not the only quantifiable measurement of rushing the passer. The dude has eight QB hurries and twelve pressures through three games; these categories are going to become household statistics in the NFL just like OBP and WAR have become in baseball.  

You can laugh all you want at his positional ranking, but I sure hope you never quote PFF or site advanced metrics on this board again.

Again, sacks are not the only quantifiable measurement of rushing the passer. The dude has eight QB hurries and twelve pressures through three games; these categories are going to become household statistics in the NFL just like OBP and WAR have become in baseball.  

You can laugh all you want at his positional ranking, but I sure hope you never quote PFF or site advanced metrics on this board again.

Explain the three tackles, one of which was his almighty coverage sack. 

Explain the three tackles, one of which was his almighty coverage sack. 

Despite playing between 75-80% of the total plays, Quentin Coples has three tackles. Tying him in that statistic is Greg Salas, but both of them rank behind Zach Sudfeld, who has 4.

Teams can't run the ball on us and thus, only have 58 rush attempts through three games; it's hard to both rush the passer and make tackles downfield.  Wilk, Sheldon and Snacks only have 8, 6 and 9, respectively.  On the other hand, teams have 112 passing attempts on us and Coples has disrupted the QB on 20 of them.  His eight hurries and twelve pressures have affected opposing quarterbacks about once every five drop-backs.  I know he's not putting up the gaudy sack numbers, but he's been doing a very good job at getting after the QB.

Archived