Coples in the Midst of a Breakthrough Year

BroadwayJoe12

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I deleted my whole post there by accident. The highlights:

1. Coples should be putting up more numbers because he's playing behind three really good DL, and Coples is never seeing anything resulting a double team.

2. Coples won't see a second contract from the Jets unless the Next Head Coach turns him into a 4-3 DE/DT.

3. This article is trash fluff nonsense.

1. Coples should be putting up more numbers because he's playing behind three really good DL, and Coples is never seeing anything resulting a double team.

2. Coples won't see a second contract from the Jets unless the Next Head Coach turns him into a 4-3 DE/DT.

Harbaugh is going to turn him into Justin Smith 2.0. 

Teams can't run the ball on us and thus, only have 58 rush attempts through three games; it's hard to both rush the passer and make tackles downfield.  Wilk, Sheldon and Snacks only have 8, 6 and 9, respectively.  On the other hand, teams have 112 passing attempts on us and Coples has disrupted the QB on 20 of them.  His eight hurries and twelve pressures have affected opposing quarterbacks about once every five drop-backs.  I know he's not putting up the gaudy sack numbers, but he's been doing a very good job at getting after the QB.

+1. Criticism of Coples play this season is limited to those who have little or no understanding of his play responsibilities and role as OLB in Rex's system.

1. 3 DL, not 4. So the O is blocking him with OTs and FB with free shots at him. Sometimes teams even chip then block him.

2. We'll have wait and see, but you WILL be wrong. (not an unusual occurrence).

3. Yes his number of pressures on plays he rushes the QB is total non sense. (eye roll)

I remember you from JI. Your understanding of football remains rudimentary.

1. 3 DL, not 4. So the O is blocking him with OTs and FB with free shots at him. Sometimes teams even chip then block him.

2. We'll have wait and see, but you WILL be wrong. (not an unusual occurrence).

3. Yes his number of pressures on plays he rushes the QB is total non sense. (eye roll)

I remember you from JI. Your understanding of football remains rudimentary.

I don't remember you. I'll just assume you were one of those guys who thought Dewayne Robertson was secretly awesome.

kindly file your report.

I'm the one who doesn't know anything about football, remember? I was hoping you could explain all the nuanced subtleties of Coples' game today. You see, he didn't register a single half-tackle today, so it's hard for a noob like me to comprehend how awesome that is. Plz help.

I'm the one who doesn't know anything about football, remember? I was hoping you could explain all the nuanced subtleties of Coples' game today. You see, he didn't register a single half-tackle today, so it's hard for a noob like me to comprehend how awesome that is. Plz help.

nice try

impress us

+1. Criticism of Coples play this season is limited to those who have little or no understanding of his play responsibilities and role as OLB in Rex's system.

I 100% agree with you, Coples is an absolute beast. An unstoppable relentless monster of a pass rusher that makes QB's wet themselves by mere mention of his name.   

Wow, wrong again. Keep it up. I'm sure you are on the verge of some sort of record for ineptitude.

Sonny, I'm glad you're back. Can you, as football cognoscenti, help me understand how Coples' straight-donut stat line from Sunday was actually the mark of a top-5 OLB? Shmuck that I am, I'm struggling with it. Thx

FWIW, the Richardson sack was largely created by Coples.  Coples destroyed the LT and was immediately in the back field.  He pushed him into Stafford, which made him step up in the pocket right where Sheldon eventually broke free from his man to get the sack.

He doesnt play a position in this defense that is going to show up on the stat sheet.  He's clearly playing out of position, which I know is Rex's fault but I cant blame him for trying to get your best players on the field as much as possible.  Especially when your team is god awful and talent starved.

Coples is a good player and will have a long career in the NFL.  Possibly a great one once he finds his natural position.

Archived