How could you blame Rex Ryan

lancemehl

We never pay to our strengths. We never make it easy for ourselves. A rb gets 55 yards on 1 drive. Every other team keeps him in the game. We have three tee's and sh*tty receivers? Let's never run two te sets especially not in the red zone.

We could be a better team with better coaching.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex is a defensive coordinator.  He cannot manage his way out of a paper bag.  There have now been 5 years of a lack of discipline, lack of awareness, brainless game management, wasted time outs and dopey replay challenges.  The sidelines are out of control.  Players coach?  Sure.  Remember that this doofus made Santonio Holmes a team captain.   His wife got a freaking Mark Sanchez tattoo.  These things are enough to result in his being fired.  Rex is a big personality, big mouth, funny and should be on TV.  Not on an NFL sideline. 

Rex is a defensive coordinator.  He cannot manage his way out of a paper bag.  There have now been 5 years of a lack of discipline, lack of awareness, brainless game management, wasted time outs and dopey replay challenges.  The sidelines are out of control.  Players coach?  Sure.  Remember that this doofus made Santonio Holmes a team captain.   His wife got a freaking Mark Sanchez tattoo.  These things are enough to result in his being fired.  Rex is a big personality, big mouth, funny and should be on TV.  Not on an NFL sideline.

Ultimately, it's the fans fault.

If you look at what Woody Johnson thinks is the profile of the typical Jets fan, it looks and feels just like Rex Ryan. Pudgy, cudly, dirty, perverted, blue collar, stupid, gullible, stubborn, and of little talent. If you look at the ad campaigns, the radio spots, the "Jerzee guy wit da Long Island axent" characterizations, the "everyman" Fireman Ed Replacement Contests, our owner thinks Rex is good business, sells tickets to the mildly drunk and nauseous Lynrd Skynrd horde.

The minute we speak up, stop attending games, make MetLife a ghost town, we'll get the change we deserve. We're headed for 1-6, it's going to get ugly come Halloween, that'll get this clown show out of here for good.

SAR I

The man doesn't has a chance in hell. You double Decker and there's no one to throw too. Right side of the line is getting penalties one after the other. Winters can not pass protect. We are using or trying out a third of the team at CB. (Embarrassing!) just pay someone who plays that posistion for a living. You know Milliner won't come out the tub. And we can't bench Geno cause................. Hell if I know

The man doesn't has a chance in hell. You double Decker and there's no one to throw too. Right side of the line is getting penalties one after the other. Winters can not pass protect. We are using or trying out a third of the team at CB. (Embarrassing!) just pay someone who plays that posistion for a living. You know Milliner won't come out the tub. And we can't bench Geno cause................. Hell if I know

Bench Geno for who? It's better to lose with Geno and get a top 5 pick. The worst thing Vick can do is come in a be mediocre. Yay! We win 5-6 games so we only get the 13th pick.

Bench Geno for who? It's better to lose with Geno and get a top 5 pick. The worst thing Vick can do is come in a be mediocre. Yay! We win 5-6 games so we only get the 13th pick.

I agree, no point in Vick, it was a dumb signing, and would be even dumber to start him at this point.

Either Geno will figure it out at some point this season, or we will be looking for a new QB next year. Starting Vick does not change that at all. Jets are going to likely win and lose the same amount of games whether Geno starts or Vick starts this year, plus or minus 1. The second half of the schedule is a joke, and we will win a bunch of games regardless of our QB. See if the light ever goes on with Geno this year.

Rex and Idzik will both be back next year. There is no way this team is going to go 6-10 or worse, and I honestly think that even at 7-9 or 8-8 Woody will bring them both back.

The second half has so many very winnable games, that it will look like they are improving at the end of the year, and Rex will be praised for the team not giving up, and Idzik will be praised for sticking to his plan.

Take this to the bank.

This is a talent starved group. And the talent that's there is generally isolated to one area.

I don't think Idzik has faith in Rex. He knows he's gone if he doesn't win this season and yet he didn't commit to putting the most competitive roster he could on the field and left the money on the table. A long term decision when the coach is being judged on a short term basis. 

I like Rex a lot. I think the abuse, particularly with his defence now is just laughable. He's proven he's a brilliant defensive guy. He has a lot of flaws as a head coach, he's too passive in a lot of areas and the organisation and discipline is often lacking. I'll be very interested to see if he gets another HC gig, particularly if he ever gets a good NFL QB. He will always get the flak for losing, that's the job, even though I think there's far more significant reasons than him. 

He was hugely refreshing when he came in after Mangini and Herm's vanilla approach. Soon we can back to complaining about pathetic prevent defence instead of patehtic exotic blitzing. His defence, whether it broke in the end or not, kept us competitive in the last two games. The next HC/DC's defence might not break in the clutch but it might not be dominant enough to ever make it that close anyways.

I'll bet anything with anyone right now that Rex gets to the playoffs before the Jets do. 

In the last 5 years, no team has given up more points in the final 2 minutes of the first half and the final 2 minutes of the game than the Jets.

That's the time real "elite" defenses show up.

A million times yes. Rex so obsessed with being considered a "top defense" based on yards given up. Im for giving up more yards in exchange for creating turnovers. Those are the types of defenses than swing momentum and intimidate opponents.

This is a talent starved group. And the talent that's there is generally isolated to one area.

I don't think Idzik has faith in Rex. He knows he's gone if he doesn't win this season and yet he didn't commit to putting the most competitive roster he could on the field and left the money on the table. A long term decision when the coach is being judged on a short term basis.

I like Rex a lot. I think the abuse, particularly with his defence now is just laughable. He's proven he's a brilliant defensive guy. He has a lot of flaws as a head coach, he's too passive in a lot of areas and the organisation and discipline is often lacking. I'll be very interested to see if he gets another HC gig, particularly if he ever gets a good NFL QB. He will always get the flak for losing, that's the job, even though I think there's far more significant reasons than him.

He was hugely refreshing when he came in after Mangini and Herm's vanilla approach. Soon we can back to complaining about pathetic prevent defence instead of patehtic exotic blitzing. His defence, whether it broke in the end or not, kept us competitive in the last two games. The next HC/DC's defence might not break in the clutch but it might not be dominant enough to ever make it that close anyways.

I'll bet anything with anyone right now that Rex gets to the playoffs before the Jets do.

if Rex has proven anything it's that he is a clone of his dad, the jets job will be his highlight like the eagles were to Buddy , Rex next job will be his version of Buddy's cardinals then it's off to be a D coordinator and punch an offensive coach during a timeout.

well said. LIke him or not, Rex is the best part of the Jets right now. The roster is a dumpster fire. Jets fans seem to forget that points must be scored by the offense to win football games. The defense was out there all day. The offense (as usual) was terrible. Firing Rex cause he's not an offensive genius only works if you have an offensive genius lined up to replace him. Chances are high that the next guy will be garbage on both sides of the ball. 

And FWIW i don't think Rex gets fired this season. Woody seems to genuinely like him. And that's all that really matters. The fans don't get a vote. Even if they did, they will turn on Geno 10x before they turn on Rex once.

well said. LIke him or not, Rex is the best part of the Jets right now. The roster is a dumpster fire. Jets fans seem to forget that points must be scored by the offense to win football games. The defense was out there all day. The offense (as usual) was terrible. Firing Rex cause he's not an offensive genius only works if you have an offensive genius lined up to replace him. Chances are high that the next guy will be garbage on both sides of the ball.

And FWIW i don't think Rex gets fired this season. Woody seems to genuinely like him. And that's all that really matters. The fans don't get a vote. Even if they did, they will turn on Geno 10x before they turn on Rex once.

Id have gone with nick folk

I think this is a pretty accurate assessment.  Idzick clearly didnt have any interest in putting together the most competitive team he could this offseason. For whatever reason, I do not know.  And now he's got Rex taking a knife to a gun fight week in, week out.  You look around the league and this roster is a complete joke.  I said it last week on Sunday, when the Jets didnt play.  It gave me the opportunity to not get worked up about the Jets and just watch the rest of the league. Its sad how far the Jets are from being a talented roster.  Its like every team has 1 or 2 true playmakers, get them ball and they'll make something happen, meanwhile the Jets have zero.  Defense too.  They just dont have anyone who can step up and make a play.

You can blame coaching all you want but nobody in the league is getting more out of this team.  They're terrible and when you're QB is a liability, no amount of coaching can overcompensate for the turnovers galore coupled with the overall lack of talent.

That said, you also cant accept how terrible the team is and the overall direction they're trending.  Its time to make a wholesale change.  I personally think Idzick should get his walking papers too because at the end of the day, Rex is infinitely better at his job than Idzick but I get not firing the GM after 2 years. 

So yeah, we're ****ed and wont be competitive for a long long time.  Coming into the season, I knew this team needed another offseaosn and this wouldnt be a pretty season but I had hope for the future.  I didnt realize it would be this ugly and the roster was this far away being anywhere near good. Fast forward to what is destined to be a 1-6 start and yeah, the Jets are one of the worst teams in the league and a far cry from being worth mentioning as a contender and thats not going to change for a long long time.

At least we're used to it, I guess. 

EL OH EL

I think this is a pretty accurate assessment. Idzick clearly didnt have any interest in putting together the most competitive team he could this offseason. For whatever reason, I do not know. And now he's got Rex taking a knife to a gun fight week in, week out. You look around the league and this roster is a complete joke. I said it last week on Sunday, when the Jets didnt play. It gave me the opportunity to not get worked up about the Jets and just watch the rest of the league. Its sad how far the Jets are from being a talented roster. Its like every team has 1 or 2 true playmakers, get them ball and they'll make something happen, meanwhile the Jets have zero. Defense too. They just dont have anyone who can step up and make a play.

You can blame coaching all you want but nobody in the league is getting more out of this team. They're terrible and when you're QB is a liability, no amount of coaching can overcompensate for the turnovers galore coupled with the overall lack of talent.

That said, you also cant accept how terrible the team is and the overall direction they're trending. Its time to make a wholesale change. I personally think Idzick should get his walking papers too because at the end of the day, Rex is infinitely better at his job than Idzick but I get not firing the GM after 2 years.

So yeah, we're ****ed and wont be competitive for a long long time. Coming into the season, I knew this team needed another offseaosn and this wouldnt be a pretty season but I had hope for the future. I didnt realize it would be this ugly and the roster was this far away being anywhere near good. Fast forward to what is destined to be a 1-6 start and yeah, the Jets are one of the worst teams in the league and a far cry from being worth mentioning as a contender and thats not going to change for a long long time.

At least we're used to it, I guess.

EL OH EL

Archived