So On The Day That The Patriots Dynasty Dies The Jets Aren't Ready To Take The Baton

SAR I

Idzik is the perfect example of the "Peter Principle" as he reached the level of his incompetence.   He is a walking inconsistency who is in over his head.  

on one hand he preaches "no turds" and then proceeds to sign Goodsen and Patterson - 2 turds of epic proportions.  

he preaches "building through the draft" but he can't draft. 

he preaches "competition" but hands the QB job to Geno after signing Vick

he preaches "drafting BPA" but then panics based on his FA misadventures.  

the Jets cut 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rd picks - from this year's draft.   I'm not sure that has even happened in the history of the NFL.  

Idzik is definitely complicit. 

There's a far better case for saying Rex is an example of the Peter Principle. 

Never heard Idzik say anything about no turds, but you sound like a fool assuming any of these organizations have a secret formula for how to avoid players committing crimes out of nowhere.

He can't draft? His first draft haul netted us the defensive player of the year, and 5 starters out of 7 selections. When you consider that Aboushi and Campbell were both OL projects on top of that, it is a good haul. No matter what narrative you want to trot out.

If Geno and Vick weren't separating, then the right thing to do is go with the kid. Anyone with half a wit about football will tell you that, given the state of the team and the rebuild process. The competition has been very evident at every other position group. Again, narrative has skewed your mind.

If he had panicked, then he would have selected a corner in R1 or overpaid a washed up veteran like the Raiders normally do. There's nothing that even comes close to substantiated panic even with a sh*t-ton of spin put on it.

If you have 12 total picks. Only 3 in the first 3 rounds, then yeah, you are going to have some 3rd day guys that get cut. The only one to legitimately be upset about is Saunders, he was a 4th round miss. Frankly, I consider it a sign that John Idzik knows what he's doing if 2 of his draft picks got poached from our practice squad. Think about that for a second... yeah, not used to it, I know.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never heard Idzik say anything about no turds, but you sound like a fool assuming any of these organizations have a secret formula for how to avoid players committing crimes out of nowhere.

He can't draft? His first draft haul netted us the defensive player of the year, and 5 starters out of 7 selections. When you consider that Aboushi and Campbell were both OL projects on top of that, it is a good haul. No matter what narrative you want to trot out.

If Geno and Vick weren't separating, then the right thing to do is go with the kid. Anyone with half a wit about football will tell you that, given the state of the team and the rebuild process. The competition has been very evident at every other position group. Again, narrative has skewed your mind.

If he had panicked, then he would have selected a corner in R1 or overpaid a washed up veteran like the Raiders normally do. There's nothing that even comes close to substantiated panic even with a sh*t-ton of spin put on it.

If you have 12 total picks. Only 3 in the first 3 rounds, then yeah, you are going to have some 3rd day guys that get cut. The only one to legitimately be upset about is Saunders, he was a 4th round miss. Frankly, I consider it a sign that John Idzik knows what he's doing if 2 of his draft picks got poached from our practice squad. Think about that for a second... yeah, not used to it, I know.

Uh, yeah, about that...

Other than Sheldon, we're hoping Milliner can be the guy, but he's starting late this year, and will probably start slow again as a result. Everyone is pretty much done with Geno and Winters. And the last "starter" is a FB. You can dress it up as much as you want, but so far it's one, maybe two players you can expect to have a big role on the team going forward. Guys like Geno and Winters start because of how bad the roster is right now, not because they're really starters. 

the 3rd leg of the tripod of ineffectiveness is marty morningwhig.   I'm not sure why he gets a free pass.   It seems like Philly improved when he left and Andy Reid seems to be doing just fine in KC w/o him.   the play-calling, particularly in the redzone, has been terrible.  

I think it's simply a matter of after so many years with the likes of Schitty and Hackett, by comparison Mornhinweg doesn't seem all that bad.

Think we are better than the Pats and we sweep the Pats both games as i have already predicted.

And when was the last time that happened?

So the Pats lose one blowout game, and the Jets are a better team and will sweep them?

Based on what? Jets are a 1-3 team that has yet to beat a team that has won a single football game.

So the Pats lose one blowout game, and the Jets are a better team and will sweep them?

Based on what? Jets are a 1-3 team that has yet to beat a team that has won a single football game.

shush

you have your own problems

This, my friends, is a VERY good post.

Idzik may or may nor be a good GM, we're still going to have to wait a while to know for sure.

But his job thus far has not been bad, and it certainly not termination worthy as yet.

Rex tho...

Idzik's draft netted starters because he inherited the 2012 Jets, arguably the least talented Jets team of all time. Drafting Brian Winters and Aboushi doesnt warrant a gold star. Brian Winters is awful and you just have to assume Aboushi is worse at this point.

I actually said this before the blowout loss and most likely you might have even responded to it.

1) Revis playing zone coverage is useless. Pats could have gotten a JAG for $1MM to do that.

2) Mankins was let go for $$$ only.

1) he was beaten in man coverage and missed tackles in the run game

2) glad to see you can admit you were wrong

1) he was beaten in man coverage and missed tackles in the run game

2) glad to see you can admit you were wrong

Pats were in zone coverage 80% of the time last night.

With Browner back next week, let's see if BB opens his eyes and goes press man-to-man coverage.

Dalton and the Cincy receivers will destroy that zone coverage.

how was that $1,000,000 performance from revis last night ?  have you had enough time to digest he mankins trade yet ?  was it done "for winning" ?

Straight cash homie.  It is not like Mankins would be some magical elixir. 

Pats were in zone coverage 80% of the time last night.

With Browner back next week, let's see if BB opens his eyes and goes press man-to-man coverage.

Dalton and the Cincy receivers will destroy that zone coverage.

The coaching has been abysmal on both sides of the ball.

You are going to try and spread the Chiefs out, but bring only three receivers.  I like Vereen, but more of a change of pace then feature back.

The decision making process is like the Red Sox of this past year.  Whatever it is, it is wrong. 

Idzik's 4th round this past draft was a disaster.  I read Enunwa had potential but he's had a domestic violence incident already - ugh!  Shaq Evans was supposed to be mediocre at best and then got hurt and is out for the year.  Jalen Saunders (who I admit I had hope for) was awful and has already been cut.  We needed WRs and Idzik (seemingly) whiffed on all 3 of these picks (though I guess there's still time for QE and SE). 

As for Idzik's first draft, he did get starters but they're mostly starters that we've complained quite a bit about.  I'm still holding out some hope for Geno but he hasn't been good.  Those OL have been bad too.  Bohannon is not terrible but he's nothing special.  The jury is still out on Milliner.  Sheldon Richardson was a great pick.

I'm not too down on Idzik though.  I think he's done a reasonably good job here so far.  It's still too early to judge his first 2 drafts. 

Idzik's 4th round this past draft was a disaster.  I read Enunwa had potential but he's had a domestic violence incident already - ugh!  Shaq Evans was supposed to be mediocre at best and then got hurt and is out for the year.  Jalen Saunders (who I admit I had hope for) was awful and has already been cut.  We needed WRs and Idzik (seemingly) whiffed on all 3 of these picks (though I guess there's still time for QE and SE). 

As for Idzik's first draft, he did get starters but they're mostly starters that we've complained quite a bit about.  I'm still holding out some hope for Geno but he hasn't been good.  Those OL have been bad too.  Bohannon is not terrible but he's nothing special.  The jury is still out on Milliner.  Sheldon Richardson was a great pick.

I'm not too down on Idzik though.  I think he's done a reasonably good job here so far.  It's still too early to judge his first 2 drafts. 

He didn't take Enunwa in the 4th round. He took Saunders, Dozier and Evans. One of them missed most of camp, and is now on the practice squad. One is OL depth as a rookie, as he should be. The last is on IR.

We are 4 games into the rookie season for all of them. Totally justified to call all 3 selections a "disaster". Totally.

As for last year's draft.... "we" complain because "we" expect rookies from every round of the draft to save the ******* franchise after 50 years. "We" are unrealistic and absurd, more often than "we" realize.

He didn't take Enunwa in the 4th round. He took Saunders, Dozier and Evans. One of them missed most of camp, and is now on the practice squad. One is OL depth as a rookie, as he should be. The last is on IR.

We are 4 games into the rookie season for all of them. Totally justified to call all 3 selections a "disaster". Totally.

As for last year's draft.... "we" complain because "we" expect rookies from every round of the draft to save the ******* franchise after 50 years. "We" are unrealistic and absurd, more often than "we" realize.

What I liked about Mike Tannenbaum is that he always hedged his bets. For every potential bust draft pick, he'd get a cagey veteran with some miles left in the tank. Takes Gholston, grabs Bart Scott. Drafts McKnight, grabs Ladanian Tomlinson.

John Idzik is Mike Tannenbaum without free agent insurance and too much cap money in the bank.

SAR I

If it was about this year, Idzik would have about 5 million left under the cap.  Only Jet fans think it is about this year.  If they get to the playoffs this year, it will be because the league stinks.  Idzik does not want to sign guys just because he has money.  He wants to get the guys that he wants with the money. at the right price and the right contract length.  Those guys were not there this year.  And Geno is still an unknown.  As for drafts, everybody says that you cannot evaluate a draft until a few years down the road.  We are only  a few months in and people are screaming.  It does not look good right now but if Pryor and Amaro become Pro Bowlers or close to it, or if McDougle and Dozier become starters in a year or so, then it was a stellar draft.  It is just a matter of patience, and maintaining some perspective.

I predict Geno has a bounce back game throwing 2td's rushing for 1 and only 1 not his fault tipped int. He will be in command of the offense which will rally around him now. This starts a run bringing the jets to 4-4 mid season. They have nothing to lose so they spread the offense and start to click. Fumbles start to go their way. 50/50 calls by refs go their way. Sure call me a fool, I rather be that than disgruntled pissed off hater. This is the start of the turn up for the Jets and down for the Pats. It won't be a smooth ride but God help us the nightmare is just about over!

What I liked about Mike Tannenbaum is that he always hedged his bets. For every potential bust draft pick, he'd get a cagey veteran with some miles left in the tank. Takes Gholston, grabs Bart Scott. Drafts McKnight, grabs Ladanian Tomlinson.

John Idzik is Mike Tannenbaum without free agent insurance and too much cap money in the bank.

SAR I

LOL yeah, that was his plan. They signed Scott the hour free agency started, months before they were forced to select Gholston as the chalk pick when no one wanted to trade for the spot.... and they played different positions. Where was all of that "insurance" at QB and along the O line when Tanny was here?

I can't buy into the rebuilding plan anymore. The Patriots are falling apart. Manning will hang them up too. No dominant team in the AFC. No more time for patience.

Idzik and Rex have to go. Get Jim Harbaugh in here, give him complete autonomy. In Jets history, every time we flop coaches from "players coach" to "disciplinarian" it works out very well:

Kotite: Players coach

Parcells: Disciplinarian

Edwards: Players coach

Mangini: Disciplinarian

Ryan: Players coach

From 1998-2010 the Jets averaged 9.5 wins per season with a healthy quarterback and we had 5 coaching changes in that span. Time to pull the move again, get a veteran QB in here, let's go.

SAR I

First, last I checked Harbaugh was not available. Second, how many SB's has Harbaugh won?

LOL yeah, that was his plan. They signed Scott the hour free agency started, months before they were forced to select Gholston as the chalk pick when no one wanted to trade for the spot.... and they played different positions. Where was all of that "insurance" at QB and along the O line when Tanny was here?

Bart Scott was signed the year after Gholston was picked.

My point is that Tannenbaum had better balance to his decisions than Idzik and spent the appropriate money in free agency to back up a side of the ball that needed it to the best of his ability.

SAR I

First, last I checked Harbaugh was not available. Second, how many SB's has Harbaugh won?

Harbaugh will be out of work in a few months and will be the stud HC prospect on the market.

Harbaugh will be an upgrade to Ryan and a disciplinarian that's all that matters.

SAR I

Archived