Source: Drafting Geno Smith was "100 Percent" John Idzik's Decision

flgreen

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His grade, positional value, and draft slot all matched up fine. This convo is so dumb. Perfectly reasonable trying for a prospect like that in that slot. 

How reasonable is it to revolve an entire franchise around a talented, though unpolished QB who was drafted on the cheap - and after he was legitimately  beaten out for the starting job by Sanchez (in the pre-season - despite fans, media, and coaching staff rooting for him) and finishing 2013 as the lowest rated passer in the NFL to not take a shot at at Bridgewater or Manziel?  

Talk about top tier QB talent slipping down a draftboard - don't forget we already passed on Geno twice before selecting him and declaring him savior.

And frankly, we'd be in a far better spot if we went 1-3 under Vick and then pulled him to see what kind of fire can burn inside of Geno.

Instead we have a clown QB who yells at fans.  Just another behavioral red flag to footnote in Geno's ghastly career.  I hope I'm not there or watching when he finally rolls out of bounds looking downfield.

How reasonable is it to revolve an entire franchise around a talented, though unpolished QB who was drafted on the cheap - and after he was legitimately beaten out for the starting job by Sanchez (in the pre-season - despite fans, media, and coaching staff rooting for him) and finishing 2013 as the lowest rated passer in the NFL to not take a shot at at Bridgewater or Manziel?

Talk about top tier QB talent slipping down a draftboard - don't forget we already passed on Geno twice before selecting him and declaring him savior.

And frankly, we'd be in a far better spot if we went 1-3 under Vick and then pulled him to see what kind of fire can burn inside of Geno.

Instead we have a clown QB who yells at fans. Just another behavioral red flag to footnote in Geno's ghastly career. I hope I'm not there or watching when he finally rolls out of bounds looking downfield.

It's not reasonable at all. We waited too long on Sanchez and we are doing the same thing with Geno. No shame in failing when trying for a QB, but this refusal to call it a day twice in a row is now ridiculous. The fact that he made an ass out of himself after the game should have made the decision that much easier. The dude threw a ******* Hail Mary out of bounds last week. That doesn't even happen in high school.

how is this news? the GM makes the draft picks (except, apparently, for Rex's annual pet selection). idzik was 100% right to take geno, no matter how it turns out. a team looking for a QB picking the consensus best QB just a few months before the draft, taking the guy in the 2nd? no brainer. now if we see sanchez-like blind allegience to the guy... that is a different discussion.

It's not reasonable at all. We waited too long on Sanchez and we are doing the same thing with Geno. No shame in failing when trying for a QB, but this refusal to call it a day twice in a row is now ridiculous. The fact that he made an ass out of himself after the game should have made the decision that much easier. The dude threw a ******* Hail Mary out of bounds last week. That doesn't even happen in high school.

That's the learning opportunity here. I'm tired of coddling a guy and giving him unlimited opportunities just because he was somewhat high as a draft pick. Give me a guy who's going to actually get better and proves that he's the franchise guy instead of everyone just standing around waiting for him to magically become one. Geno's not a rookie anymore, you have two home games in a row like he did in Chicago and against Detroit and really the 2nd half of Green Bay, then you deserve to get benched. You don't just trot him out again because of his draft status. He doesn't deserve to play at least the next week.

the GM chose the draft pick ?

holy sh*t

what a scoop

this would be a story if they let the fans vote or picked a name out of a hat

how is this even printed ?

what a waste of time

It's not just that the GM made the pick, it's that he went against the advice of others while doing so.

Why is this a story?  They missed on a 2nd round draft pick.  Its not unusual (especially for the Jets and their terrible scouting) and if its not a defensive player I doubt Rex has anything to do with it anyway.  It doesn't change the fact that Geno sucks and Rex is a buffoon. 

At the time we made the pick, on draft day, I posted a history of 2nd round draft picks for the Jets.

We've already gotten more out of Geno than we have almost every 2nd rounder we've taken for like a decade.

That's the learning opportunity here. I'm tired of coddling a guy and giving him unlimited opportunities just because he was somewhat high as a draft pick. Give me a guy who's going to actually get better and proves that he's the franchise guy instead of everyone just standing around waiting for him to magically become one. Geno's not a rookie anymore, you have two home games in a row like he did in Chicago and against Detroit and really the 2nd half of Green Bay, then you deserve to get benched. You don't just trot him out again because of his draft status. He doesn't deserve to play at least the next week.

Spot on. I can't believe these guys preach competition, yet it's hard to find where the competition on this roster is. Everyone is handed their position.

It's not just that the GM made the pick, it's that he went against the advice of others while doing so.

This is ridiculous.

If he had chosen NOT to draft him, he would have also been going against the advice of others. See: Wilson, Russell; Tannenbaum, Mike; Bradway, Terry

His job is to weigh the input of everyone, and try to use it to make an informed decision. He obviously felt the concerns didn't outweigh the potential. This is pretty much the crux of every draft pick made ever.

At the time we made the pick, on draft day, I posted a history of 2nd round draft picks for the Jets.

We've already gotten more out of Geno than we have almost every 2nd rounder we've taken for like a decade.

That's 100% more a statement of how bad the Jets have drafted than it being particularly impressive. You're talking about being more impressive than guys like Stephen Hill, Kellen Clemens, Justin Miller, Mike Nugent, Victor Hobson, and Vlad Ducasse. I'm not exactly impressed. The only one I left out is David Harris.

He doesn't have a "draft status". He's a 2nd rounder.

It's really about weighing the value of the young guy, with unrealized potential, getting reps and being given the chance to fight his way out of a funk... vs. playing a washed up veteran that showed no desire to win the starting job in the pre-season.

When did Vick suddenly become like having Warner on the bench behind Leinart in Arizona?

That's 100% more a statement of how bad the Jets have drafted than it being particularly impressive. You're talking about being more impressive than guys like Stephen Hill, Kellen Clemens, Justin Miller, Mike Nugent, Victor Hobson, and Vlad Ducasse. I'm not exactly impressed. The only one I left out is David Harris.

I know.

So, for context, a 2nd round QB who took us to 8-8 as a rookie, despite struggling is pretty good return compared to the rest of the sh*t on that list.

He doesn't have a "draft status". He's a 2nd rounder.

It's really about weighing the value of the young guy, with unrealized potential, getting reps and being given the chance to fight his way out of a funk... vs. playing a washed up veteran that showed no desire to win the starting job in the pre-season.

When did Vick suddenly become like having Warner on the bench behind Leinart in Arizona?

I'm not a Vick guy at all. I'm not suggesting benching him because I think Vick is somehow better. I just think that overall, sending a guy who's underperforming as badly as Geno is out there again after his most recent string of performances is just wrong. It's probably just the fan in me talking, but I think on a base level you have to keep these guys accountable somehow.

I'm not a Vick guy at all. I'm not suggesting benching him because I think Vick is somehow better. I just think that overall, sending a guy who's underperforming as badly as Geno is out there again after his most recent string of performances is just wrong. It's probably just the fan in me talking, but I think on a base level you have to keep these guys accountable somehow.

It's his second season in the league, Jesus.

It's his second season in the league, Jesus.

Look around the league at the young QBs. Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Nick Foles, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, RG III pre-knee injuries, did any of them look this bad at QB 20 games into their careers? Did any of them turnover the ball at this rate at any point over the same sample size?

We're talking about franchise guys here and whether you have one. Geno doesn't look anything close to them. You typically have some sort of an idea if you have something good pretty early on. Just look in the division, EJ manuel and ryan tannehill already have doubts cast on them as well. Is it way too early to evaluate them as well?

This is ridiculous.

If he had chosen NOT to draft him, he would have also been going against the advice of others. See: Wilson, Russell; Tannenbaum, Mike; Bradway, Terry

His job is to weigh the input of everyone, and try to use it to make an informed decision. He obviously felt the concerns didn't outweigh the potential. This is pretty much the crux of every draft pick made ever.

The good GMs side on their coaches side in these debates. Instead, from the sounds of it he threw his weight around and took Geno. Next he forced him down the organizations throat.

So, wait.  "Multiple team sources" talk to the free paper they hand out on your way down into the Subway?

Not to mention the fact that the GM should be the final decision on these things.

According to what winning organizations?

By the way I have a serious question....isn't the final call on the draft choice supposed to be the GMs call??????

always. There are some who claim otherwise, but they would be mistaken. It's always the GM's call.  Or "key decision maker" i.e. it could be the owner Jerry Jones or the HC like Belly. 

Oooooooweeeeeeeeee bolts are falling out of the hull, baby. CYA time up in Florham, like the good ol' days.

This is what happens when the Billy Beane approach fails, like football if young cheap drafted Pitchers (QB's) don't pan out the business model fails. Sign your stud players, and pick up a FA, or 3 to fill holes instead of cheaping out everywhere forcing young unproven players to play big roles when their not ready. You can't count on finding a Russell Wilson, it just doesn't happen, Idzik tried this, and like Beane it's his way no matter how much he makes it look like everyone is included in the decision making. Go ask an A's manager if he really gets to actually manage, if he told you the truth the answer would be NO!

Look around the league at the young QBs. Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Nick Foles, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, RG III pre-knee injuries, did any of them look this bad at QB 20 games into their careers? Did any of them turnover the ball at this rate at any point over the same sample size?

We're talking about franchise guys here and whether you have one. Geno doesn't look anything close to them. You typically have some sort of an idea if you have something good pretty early on. Just look in the division, EJ manuel and ryan tannehill already have doubts cast on them as well. Is it way too early to evaluate them as well?

For everyone of those there is your Eli Manning's, A Rodgers, Vinny T, Alex Smith, Drew Brees, to name a few who played bad to terrible, or not at all their first 2 years, or more.

Archived