Source: Drafting Geno Smith was "100 Percent" John Idzik's Decision

flgreen

For everyone of those there is your Eli Manning's, A Rodgers, Vinny T, Alex Smith, Drew Brees, to name a few who played bad to terrible, or not at all their first 2 years, or more.

That is very true. Guys that were benched early in their careers and overcame. Which is why making Geno play through this is dumb.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is very true. Guys that were benched early in their careers and overcame. Which is why making Geno play through this is dumb.

Agreed, and I still don't know where this you can't bench a young QB, and then bring him back when he is more ready to play. Who made this it will kill his confidence mantra, and will never recover as fact?

Alternative theory: the anonymous source is Bradway, not Rex. Putting sh*t like this in the ether would help explain how he's had a high-level job for 15 years.

There's a reason we know Bradway liked Russell Wilson, which is Bradway like his job and in a very passive aggressive way wants to make sure Johnson keeps him around and keeps writing him big ass checks. And think of that Russell Wilson stuff; it's cheap grace, costs nothing and makes him look like a genius.

For everyone of those there is your Eli Manning's, A Rodgers, Vinny T, Alex Smith, Drew Brees, to name a few who played bad to terrible, or not at all their first 2 years, or more.

That's why i said typically. You're naming outliers not the norm. Not to mention that your list had to include aaron rodgers who just sat behind a HOF caliber qb and Vinny T who's been out of the league for over a decade. Alex smith didn't develop into a good qb until he was in the league for many years, which would do us no good as a franchise if that's the trajectory smith takes.

My point being that the suck real hard early and get a lot better career path is possible, but atypical. It's a lot more likely that Geno fits the mold of the hundreds of qbs who have washed out and never became a franchise qb.

That's why i said typically. You're naming outliers not the norm. Not to mention that your list had to include aaron rodgers who just sat behind a HOF caliber qb and Vinny T who's been out of the league for over a decade. Alex smith didn't develop into a good qb until he was in the league for many years, which would do us no good as a franchise if that's the trajectory smith takes.

My point being that the suck real hard early and get a lot better career path is possible, but atypical. It's a lot more likely that Geno fits the mold of the hundreds of qbs who have washed out and never became a franchise qb.

Probably, but we both know things might turn out differently for Mark Sanchez in true typical Jets fashion!

Look around the league at the young QBs. Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Nick Foles, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, RG III pre-knee injuries, did any of them look this bad at QB 20 games into their careers? Did any of them turnover the ball at this rate at any point over the same sample size?

We're talking about franchise guys here and whether you have one. Geno doesn't look anything close to them. You typically have some sort of an idea if you have something good pretty early on. Just look in the division, EJ manuel and ryan tannehill already have doubts cast on them as well. Is it way too early to evaluate them as well?

You are condemning a 2nd year QB with a bs cherry picked QB comparison. Flacco threw 22 picks last year I guess he's done too? I can cherry pick too.

What projected back up beat out a starter at training camp this year?

That's an awful narrow set of parameters. It had to be in camp, and it had to be a starter losing his job to a non-starter, otherwise = not really competition? LOL, obviously makes it easy to perpetuate the narrative that "the competition mantra is a sham!!!!".

Off the top of my head... 

Antonio Allen beat out Dimitri Patterson. That was why he had a tantrum and bailed on us.

Chris Ivory just beat out Chris Johnson in the past 2 weeks to shift it from a 50/50 split to a split that favors Ivory. 

Greg Salas and David Nelson beat out Stephen Hill.

Powell beat out a couple guys for the #3 RB spot. 

Aboushi almost beat out Winters at OG.

There was PLENTY of competition over roster spots. 

There are PLENTY of reasons to be upset with Idzik, but making up a conspiracy about how his "competition" mantra is fake and he's really manipulating the roster to suit his fancy is stupid, just because Vick hasn't taken over yet. How quickly people forget the way Vick laid down during camp and showed no desire to take the job from Geno.

The good GMs side on their coaches side in these debates. Instead, from the sounds of it he threw his weight around and took Geno. Next he forced him down the organizations throat.

This is literally all make believe. I can't do much more than laugh at you... this is the dumbest post I've seen today.

This is literally all make believe. I can't do much more than laugh at you... this is the dumbest post I've seen today.

That's an awful narrow set of parameters. It had to be in camp, and it had to be a starter losing his job to a non-starter, otherwise = not really competition? LOL, obviously makes it easy to perpetuate the narrative that "the competition mantra is a sham!!!!".

Antonio Allen beat out Dimitri Patterson. That was why he had a tantrum and bailed on us

Chris Ivory just beat out Chris Johnson in the past 2 weeks to shift it from a 50/50 split to a split that favors Ivory. 

There are PLENTY of reasons to be upset with Idzik, but making up a conspiracy about how his "competition" mantra is fake and he's really manipulating the roster to suit his fancy is stupid, just because Vick hasn't taken over yet. How quickly people forget the way Vick laid down during camp and showed no desire to take the job from Geno.

Antonio Allen beat out Dimitri Patterson. That was why he had a tantrum and bailed on us.

The only person who wrote in Patterson as a starter was the idiot GM and apparently you.

Johnson and Ivory still split time although the weight of carries are a little different.

I guess you don't remember the Stephen Hill won't make the team threads and articles?

Powell was making the roster and projected to

Almost doesn't count in football.

No competition..

It would be swell to get a straight answer out of Idzik on why he left so many important units barren of talent while sitting on a lot of cash. I think the fans do kind of deserve that...turning on the Jets and knowing we'll be able to score touchdowns would be pretty cool.

The only person who wrote in Patterson as a starter was the idiot GM and apparently you.

Johnson and Ivory still split time although the weight of carries are a little different.

I guess you don't remember the Stephen Hill won't make the team threads and articles?

Powell was making the roster and projected to

Almost doesn't count in football.

No competition..

Doesn't change the fact that Patterson was penciled-in, was out-played by AA, and because COMPETITION he lost his job. You = wrong.

Ivory and Johnson were both listed as RB1. Now they aren't. You = wrong.

Hill got a couple season where he was just automatically assured a spot, but with Idzik he lost it. You = wrong. No amount of threads on this site mean anything, wtf kind of logic is that?

Powell still had to beat out 2 other guys to do it. Competition was brought in. You = wrong.

Almost means the competition was real. You = wrong.

I could beat you like a drum forever... 

It would be swell to get a straight answer out of Idzik on why he left so many important units barren of talent while sitting on a lot of cash. I think the fans do kind of deserve that...turning on the Jets and knowing we'll be able to score touchdowns would be pretty cool.

I think Idzik has been working towards 2015 from the day he took the job. Everything up until then is expendable, and treated as such. It's cold-blooded, but I don't think he loses any sleep at night knowing that Rex wanted a cornerback. 

I think Idzik has been working towards 2015 from the day he took the job. Everything up until then is expendable, and treated as such. It's cold-blooded, but I don't think he loses any sleep at night knowing that Rex wanted a cornerback. 

I hope you are right. I still don't have confidence that he will sign the right guy or draft the right guy.

Doesn't change the fact that Patterson was penciled-in, was out-played by AA, and because COMPETITION he lost his job. You = wrong. Penciled in by WHO? The guy played 4 games last year. He sucked and went AWOL. That's not the same as someone beating someone out in training camp and moving up the depth chart.

Ivory and Johnson were both listed as RB1. Now they aren't. You = wrong. The idea was to split carries among them and they are still splitting them

Hill got a couple season where he was just automatically assured a spot, but with Idzik he lost it. You = wrong. No amount of threads on this site mean anything, wtf kind of logic is that? Everyone knew he was on the roster bubble going into camp, then he sucked in camp as usual. Like your other idiotic points, I'm not sure what this one proves regarding competition.

Powell still had to beat out 2 other guys to do it. Competition was brought in. You = wrong. Who did he have to beat out? I like you are reaching to battles for the #3 RB spot. Sort of like all the competition at the #7 CB spot right now. LOL Powell didn't beat out anyone. Those other RB's were never a threat. Powell's contract was the biggest among the three. As long as he didn't screw up, he was on the roster.

Almost means the competition was real. You = wrong.

I could beat you like a drum forever... 

You are a moron.

"Multiple team sources" = Rex

This is CYA time. Team Rex already put out stories about some coaches being disappointed that Vick didn't try to get the starting job. Also there was a story that Rex wanted Vick to start.

I hope you are right. Who knows though.

Well, there'd always be those two wasted seasons. 

They'd have been wasted either way, and may result in us getting a Brett Hundley rather than being stuck with an average guy like Bridgewater.  Unless of course the veteran option was our choice, in which case we'd get another JAG that way as well a la Ryan Fitzpatrick.  If we could go back in time we should have listened to Bradway and gotten Russell Wilson, except that it would still be Tannenbaum and Rex running this ship together, possibly.

The Geno pick was the right one at the time, and so was giving him a 2nd season.  Hindsighting it gets us nowhere, and putting Vick in now gets us nowhere as well.  If he continues to crumble we get a top pick and a new coach. 

Even if Geno Smith is a colossal bust (he's not) he was the 39th overall pick.  Who gives a f***? 

You should, he was drafted to be the franchise QB, so with that in mind the Jets haven't been looking for one for the last two years, meaning they will be starting from scratch this off season. It's not like they grow on trees, and even if they find their franchise QB this spring it's going to take time to develop him and put the right pieces around him. Bottom line is if your a jet fan you should care very much. 

You should, he was drafted to be the franchise QB, so with that in mind the Jets haven't been looking for one for the last two years, meaning they will be starting from scratch this off season. It's not like they grow on trees, and even if they find their franchise QB this spring it's going to take time to develop him and put the right pieces around him. Bottom line is if your a jet fan you should care very much.

come off it. nobody picked to be a franchise QB is drafted 39th.

You should, he was drafted to be the franchise QB, so with that in mind the Jets haven't been looking for one for the last two years, meaning they will be starting from scratch this off season. It's not like they grow on trees, and even if they find their franchise QB this spring it's going to take time to develop him and put the right pieces around him. Bottom line is if your a jet fan you should care very much.

Deep breaths

Says the guy with a children's show charecter in his avatar. lol

I didn't realize avatar selection was a viable counter-argument. You win.

You are a moron.

I've given you examples of where the competition took place. Like I said, there is plenty to criticize about Idzik, there's no reason to make up things like the "competition mantra" is a conspiracy. However, in your case, since you can't form a legitimate criticism from intelligent observations, I suppose make-believe nonsense is better than having nothing to whine about at all. 

You can call me whatever you want, your lack of counter-argument is once again noted. I'm content to be the moron, a$$hole, idiot, whatever... all that actually matters is that you are wrong, and I am not. 

you realize now this never ends :)

He's done all the work. 

LOL! Yeah, I just looked through his posts. Apparently everyone on the board is stupid to him. Time for ignore I guess,

Not everyone. Just people who say stupid things. For example, you.

Archived