Source: Drafting Geno Smith was "100 Percent" John Idzik's Decision

flgreen

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you just started following the NFL, congratulations. 

How is that an incorrect statement?  Even when the Seahawks drafted Russell Wilson they had Matt Flynn making big dollars and penciled in as the starter.   Franchise QB's can come outside the 1st round (SEE: Brady, Tom) but it doesn't mean those guys taken there are generally anticipated to be the starter for a decade. 

QB's taken outside of the 1st round almost always enter into a competition where an incumbent is already in place. 

So you just started following the NFL, congratulations.

oh excuse me, New England drafted Tom Brady in the sixth round because they thought he was going to be really great.

yes. the Jets were so high on Smith they left him there til the 39th pick because all the other teams pinky swore not to take him first.

They'd have been wasted either way, and may result in us getting a Brett Hundley rather than being stuck with an average guy like Bridgewater.  Unless of course the veteran option was our choice, in which case we'd get another JAG that way as well a la Ryan Fitzpatrick.  If we could go back in time we should have listened to Bradway and gotten Russell Wilson, except that it would still be Tannenbaum and Rex running this ship together, possibly.

The Geno pick was the right one at the time, and so was giving him a 2nd season.  Hindsighting it gets us nowhere, and putting Vick in now gets us nowhere as well.  If he continues to crumble we get a top pick and a new coach. 

Have you ever even watched Hundley play? Most overrated qb prospect I've ever seen. Bridgewater is better then him. Someone obviously didn't see his game against the Falcons.

How is that an incorrect statement?  Even when the Seahawks drafted Russell Wilson they had Matt Flynn making big dollars and penciled in as the starter.   Franchise QB's can come outside the 1st round (SEE: Brady, Tom) but it doesn't mean those guys taken there are generally anticipated to be the starter for a decade. 

QB's taken outside of the 1st round almost always enter into a competition where an incumbent is already in place. 

That's not what I'm saying, what I'm saying is that any rational Jet fan knows they drafted Smith with the intention of him becoming their franchise QB, to try and pretend it's "no big deal because he was the 39th pick" is flat out stupid.

That's not what I'm saying, what I'm saying is that any rational Jet fan knows they drafted Smith with the intention of him becoming their franchise QB, to try and pretend it's "no big deal because he was the 39th pick" is flat out stupid.

nobody thought this. nobody except you, apparently.

By the way I have a serious question....isn't the final call on the draft choice supposed to be the GMs call??????

Exactly.  He is the GM.

Also, of course no one was sold on him, he was a second round pick!!  If Rex didn't cripple Sanchez, Geno should not have even started last year, he should have sat and learned for a year.  He wasn't Andrew Luck coming out, he needed/still needs a lot of work.

I could not disagree more.  Most people I talked to said, "Good, they need help at QB, and it's not a massive guarenteed contract, so if it doesn't work out it won't cripple us."

I could not disagree more.  Most people I talked to said, "Good, they need help at QB, and it's not a massive guarenteed contract, so if it doesn't work out it won't cripple us."

Cap wise no, time wise it sets the franchise back years, foolish not to be able to acknowledge this fact.

I have seen 100s of mock drafts that featured realistic choices for jets and those choices are actually out there playing well

but noooooooo

Jets know better than everyone else - they are going to find the diamond in rough in every round because they are all a bunch of Wile E Coyotes Super Genious

My own mock drafts feature bunch of players we could have had and are doing awsome for other teams

I have seen many of those on this board doing same with their own

How can so many people be wrong and they are right.....they are a train reck.

Cap wise no, time wise it sets the franchise back years, foolish not to be able to acknowledge this fact.

Not having a franchise QB sets the franchise back years. Nobody thought Smith was drafted to be a franchise QB, he was just someone to replace McElroy while Sanchez played out the last year of his monstrous contract. He happened to get thrown in when Sanchez went down. Now they're seeing what he is.

Exactly.  He is the GM.

Also, of course no one was sold on him, he was a second round pick!!  If Rex didn't cripple Sanchez, Geno should not have even started last year, he should have sat and learned for a year.  He wasn't Andrew Luck coming out, he needed/still needs a lot of work.

Sanchez getting a new OC every other year.

Not having a franchise QB sets the franchise back years. Nobody thought Smith was drafted to be a franchise QB, he was just someone to replace McElroy while Sanchez played out the last year of his monstrous contract. He happened to get thrown in when Sanchez went down. Now they're seeing what he is.

He wasn't drafted to replace McElroy, he was drafted to replace Sanchez.  Did McElroy get the exact same snaps as Sanchez?  Smith had a stacked deck, but still couldn't beat out Sanchez, and Sanchez wasn't playing particularly well

He wasn't drafted to replace McElroy, he was drafted to replace Sanchez. Did McElroy get the exact same snaps as Sanchez? Smith had a stacked deck, but still couldn't beat out Sanchez, and Sanchez wasn't playing particularly well

Either way, nobody with eyes thought Smith was replacing Sanchez. Everyone just thought he was insurance who may or may not work out. If they thought he was franchise material they wouldn't have left him til the 39th pick.

Either way, nobody with eyes thought Smith was replacing Sanchez. Everyone just thought he was insurance who may or may not work out. If they thought he was franchise material they wouldn't have left him til the 39th pick.

As the article focus'  on, there were several people in the room who didn't want him at all.  Seemingly Idzik did.  Others are trying to distance themselves from the pick now

Archived