Geno Smith Goes From Cursing Out Fans to Arguing With Reporters Over Vick Questions

flgreen

The way Geno responded to those questions sickens me. I'm not sure how the questions were loaded they were pretty specific. Hey Geno your playing bad how you gonna respond if the Jets go to Mike Vick for a spark. Geno responds with incoherent bullsh*t claiming it was not a question when he knew damn well what that reporter was asking.

What Geno should have said was. I need to get better and since I have played so poorly so far this season I probably deserve the Mike Vick talk but at this point all I can do is do my best to improve and avoid that situation. Boom next question.

Im sick and tired of some athletes not admitting to their poor play.

If Geno can't mentally handle a simple question how can he mentally handle pressure situations during the course of a game or a season. Short answer is he can't

This kid has totally lost me this week. I didn't like the tone of his interview earlier this week and now he continues to show he has no respect for his opportunity here. Now I'm rooting for him to crash and burn. Can't wait until he's ringing up my order at Shoprite in 2 years. Eff him!

More like Wamart.

Woah woah time out Genos not ready for the bright lights of Wamart or even Shop Rite ...lets start him slow at the 7-11 then talk about moving up to the big boys. Stop rushing his progress, its just too much for the kid

Well, if definitely wasn't Cimini.  My guess it's Mehta being the whiny bitch he is:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/44002/geno-testy-in-reponse-to-vick-question

Jets' Geno Smith testy in response to Michael Vick question
October, 1, 2014
OCT 1
8:05
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Geno Smith lost his poise Sunday when he yelled a profanity at a heckler, and he became agitated Wednesday when a reporter asked about Michael Vick. Some will try to connect the dots, saying the embattled quarterback is succumbing to the pressure. You could draw that conclusion from the stadium outburst, but a testy exchange with a reporter? Well, you be the judge. 

Standing in front of his locker for his usual Wednesday session with the media, Smith was asked if he believes a relief appearance by Vick would be the "best avenue to take" to win a particular game. 

Smith
"I mean, I don't know what you're trying to lead to with that question." 

Reporter: "Bringing in Mike as a spark ..." 

Smith: "Maybe that's your opinion." 

It's not an opinion, said the reporter, it's a question. 

Smith: "That is not a question." 

Reporter: "Do you think there's value in putting Mike Vick in as a spark?" 

Smith: "As a spark?" 

Reporter: "Yeah, within the course of a game." 

Smith: "What do you mean, a spark? We've already put him in." 

Reporter: "Well, not for a play. I mean a quarter ..." 

Smith: "It doesn't make sense. What team do you see doing that?" 

Reporter: "OK, so you're not in agreement with it." 

Smith: "It's not a question. Next question." 

And that was that. 

It was a loaded line of questioning, to be sure. And, no doubt, Smith bristled. But how was he supposed to respond to the suggestion that the team would be better off with him on the bench? Frankly, it was good to see a little fire. 

Look, there's a chance Smith could be fraying amid the crucible of a quarterback controversy. He certainly didn't respond well by cussing out a fan, which showed that he's letting the situation get inside his head. But getting snippy with a reporter? If he threw the reporter into a locker, a la Richard Todd, yeah, that would've signaled a meltdown. But a couple of testy responses? A little perspective, please.

If that's not Cimini taking a shot at Mehta again, I'm not sure what is.  Usually he doesn't point out something negative about the media unless it's about Mehta.

For one of the few times Cimini is right.

I heard the interview or whatever this morning on the radio and there is no doubt that Manish is once again trying to fan the flames. That may have very well been one of the dumbest questions ever asked by a reporter.

I would have found it very hard to bite my tongue on that question.

Gotta defend geno on this one. What if someone came into your job ad asked how you would feel if they brought in the new guy to replace you on a big proposal to "provide a spark?" He is 23, dealing with media will come to him. Kid is feeling the New York lights now. Benching might relieve some pressure--not crack his confidence--especially if Vick sucks as much of this board believes.

At  my pay or his?

True. 

Also, in the same spirit you wanted to see how he responds to a benching, I think it's highly interesting to see how he responds to getting grilled by the media.

I don't mean seeing him get sh*tty with them either, I mean how he responds on Sunday, after they grill him all week.

Would love it if he just came out of the funk, and never looked back. It would shut a lot of people up about a lot of bullsh*t.

I would love it if this is what Geno needed. But it doesn't look like he is coming out fighting, he looks deflated and defensive. If he said "Guys, I know it is your job to ask me these questions but I am the starting QB of the NYJ. I earned the job in camp and preseason and I'm going to show you guys on Sunday why."

great point , I want him to take a seat also to see how he reacts , but you're right this is a good test ...if he sticks it up their as##s after 5 days of media assault against a good team on the road it could change everything

If only ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. I want to see it to--but not betting on it.

Sorry jgb. But you got the wrong handle on this one.  Smith's rant is squarely reflective of his lack of humility.  He has none. Zippo.  If he's a team player, which he should be, he would answer, 'No problem with that. Mike Vick has come here to mentor me and has been a huge help. I'm struggling - its obvious. If its coach's decision to make a move to Mike, then I understand'. See the difference? One is stubborn denial that he sucks mixed in with a nasty attitude, the other humility with class.  Smith is falling apart sat the seams. Hopefully, it wont be a repeat of waiting 5 years to pull the plug like they did with Sanchez.    

He is 23. Been groomed his whole life as the big time ball player. He plays the toughest position in the toughest town in the most-closely followed and watched sport in the country. I don't want humility. I want fire and confidence.

At  my pay or his?

Probably more so in his case. A normal joe gets canned, he can find a similar job somewhere else. You flop in the NFL, it could be curtains, at least for a starting job. If Geno never starts again and remains a backup in this league he just cut his earning potential by 80%.

I would love it if this is what Geno needed. But it doesn't look like he is coming out fighting, he looks deflated and defensive. If he said "Guys, I know it is your job to ask me these questions but I am the starting QB of the NYJ. I earned the job in camp and preseason and I'm going to show you guys on Sunday why."

I'm less concerned with what he says, than I am with what he does. I'm hoping he does "say" that on the field Sunday.

Silencing the critics doesn't happen in front of a microphone.

The reporter's question was of the "When did you start beating your wife?" variety and Geno gave it all the respect it deserved.

An underwhelming, unsuccessful, and unlikable (hey, you need some citations, just ask) quarterback of a 1-3 NY team - you think reporters are going to ask him what he had for breakfast or how he learned to throw a spiral?  

Chad Pennington and Mark Sanchez couldn't handle playing in New York either, but they were a whole hell of a lot better at conning retards.

Wrong. NY was not too much for Pennington - his injuries were too much for a horrible fan base.  

I was in the crowd when they cheered his injury and booed his return. The Jets have let me down before, that's football, but our fanbase never let me down more than that day.    

Probably more so in his case. A normal joe gets canned, he can find a similar job somewhere else. You flop in the NFL, it could be curtains, at least for a starting job. If Geno never starts again and remains a backup in this league he just cut his earning potential by 80%.

I will take 20% of his salary and let anyone do my job.

I will take 20% of his salary and let anyone do my job.

Yeah, compared to what you, I, and 99% of the people on this board do, of course you would. Steve Jobs was upset when he got kicked out of Apple. "Oh but who cares he had millions of dollars." What's your point again? lol

An underwhelming, unsuccessful, and unlikable (hey, you need some citations, just ask) quarterback of a 1-3 NY team - you think reporters are going to ask him what he had for breakfast or how he learned to throw a spiral?  

No, but any reporter who covers football ought to be aware of the fact that the qb is the leader of the team and that he is not rotated in and out of the lineup like a linebacker or running back.  Moreover, the quarterback has to impress the coach that he wants this position.  Let me give an example:  When John Madden was still coaching the Raiders, he replaced long time qb Daryl Lamonica with the young Ken Stabler.  Lamopnica had led the team to the Super Bowl a few years before and was not really old, but Madden just said he got the impression that Stabler wanted it more and that's why he made the change.  Moreover, you will find that being promoted because those above you get the impression that you want the job more than the other guy is not restricted to football.  If you read the whole conversation, Geno-who went to a high school for gifted students as a youngster-really makes the reporter look like a stooge for asking the "question":

Q: Is there any value in bringing Mike in, in a short term, whether it's for the quarter within one game, if that is the best avenue to take to win a particular game?

A: I don't know what you're trying to lead to with that question.

Q: Well, I mean, if Mike is—bringing Mike in as a spark...

A: Maybe that's your opinion.

Q: I don't have a—I didn't ask you an opinion; I just asked you a question.

A: That is not a question.

Q: Do you think there's value in putting Mike Vick in as a spark?

A: As a spark?

Q: Yes. Within the course of a game.

A: What do you mean a spark? We've already put him in.

Q: Well, not for a play. I mean for a quarter ...?

A: Doesn't make sense. What team do you see doing that?

Q: OK, so you don't agree with it.

A: That's not a question. Next question.

That's when another reporter jumped in to ask another question, and the interview moved on.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/10/geno_smith_getting_testy_with_a_reporter_tells_us_nothing_about_geno_smith.html

No, but any reporter who covers football ought to be aware of the fact that the qb is the leader of the team and that he is not rotated in and out of the lineup like a linebacker or running back.  Moreover, the quarterback has to impress the coach that he wants this position.  Let me give an example:  When John Madden was still coaching the Raiders, he replaced long time qb Daryl Lamonica with the young Ken Stabler.  Lamopnica had led the team to the Super Bowl a few years before and was not really old, but Madden just said he got the impression that Stabler wanted it more and that's why he made the change.  Moreover, you will find that being promoted because those above you get the impression that you want the job more than the other guy is not restricted to football.  If you read the whole conversation, Geno-who went to a high school for gifted students as a youngster-really makes the reporter look like a stooge for asking the question.

And Browning Nagle said whan the Jets signed Boomer, "Seems like a lot of money to pay a guy to sit behind me."    It works both ways.

I really don't see how losing your temper makes a baiting reporter look like a stooge.  That's exactly the reaction Mehta wanted

And Browning Nagle said whan the Jets signed Boomer, "Seems like a lot of money to pay a guy to sit behind me."    It works both ways.

I really don't see how losing your temper makes a baiting reporter look like a stooge.  That's exactly the reaction Mehta wanted

However, Browning was criticizing the club in his answer, saying they were foolish for paying the money to get Esiason.  Nagle's answer was good in affirming his position as starting QB and not going along with any reporter's talk of being replaced by Boomer, but his answer went too far in actually criticizing the team for signing someone. 

In my opinion, it would be poison for Geno to go along with any reporter's talk of his being replaced.  Geno is rightly affirming his commitment to being the Jets' starting QB, and the reporter's question was totally counterproductive to that.  He correctly  dismissed it.  That was being polite on the young QB's part.

I dont get it.  why is everyone here so down on the ny sportswriters.  unless i am mistaken, they get paid for writing about sports, not us. so a little humility please.

speaking of humility, i feel bad for geno.  it is, to use Rex's favorite word, obvious this is getting to him.  it would get to me too, if i was trying to be an nfl qb, and everyone was carping about my skills and intelligence.

that said, i have pointed out here since the preseason that he is not the answer.  The answer plays tonight against Arizona.

So keep him in, let's lose every game possible, and start fresh next year -- without that snake-in-grass Idzik.

I do like Rex, actually, like most of us do, but he needs a real QB and some corners.

I dont get it.  why is everyone here so down on the ny sportswriters.  unless i am mistaken, they get paid for writing about sports, not us. so a little humility please.

speaking of humility, i feel bad for geno.  it is, to use Rex's favorite word, obvious this is getting to him.  it would get to me too, if i was trying to be an nfl qb, and everyone was carping about my skills and intelligence.

that said, i have pointed out here since the preseason that he is not the answer.  The answer plays tonight against Arizona.

So keep him in, let's lose every game possible, and start fresh next year -- without that snake-in-grass Idzik.

I do like Rex, actually, like most of us do, but he needs a real QB and some corners.

Because some writers (NY Daily News) have agendas. Be it Manish with the Jets or Lupica with Dolan.

They are paid to write about sports, not ask dopey questions to the starting QB about whether or not his backup might be the spark this team needs.

Geno needs to go to the Derek Jeter school of "How to say nothing and have the media love you for it 101"

Not getting drafted top 10, top QB, or 1st round bothered Geno - he fired agent the next day. Emotional reaction, hired Jay-Z.

Felt disrespected on an airplane prior to take off, had a meltdown. Team/airline PR teams bailed him out. 

Felt, allegedly, that taking dikpics was a good idea. Who knows what the story was, just glad story went away. 

Felt like taking the taunts of angry fans personally, had to apologize hours later.

Sparring with a reporter 4 games into the season - an emotional response, no way to win that.

Bountiful evidence that this guy is a dope.

And, truthfully, keltic makes good points. I don't know (not close enough to the situation) that starting Vick is a good idea - or ever was. If you go by quotes to the media, he never competed to start.

My hunch is that, after a fairly long career interrupted by a prison stint, that collecting a pay check is far more important to our backup than competing for playing time, possibly a critical personnel evaluation error that Geno had nothing to do with.  

I like this new thing jeter did, the athletes tribune website

it cuts out the reporters

geno should answer every douchy question from cimini or mehta with; "all the fans should log onto the athletes tribune to get the answer to that question"

until they stop the douchy sh*t

Archived