Any One Know What the Heck Marty Mornhinweg is Talking about here?

flgreen

Anyone what the heck Marty Mornhinweg is talking about here?

FLORHAM PARK -- The question to Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg at his weekly press conference/snow job on Thursday was phrased as follows:

"Marty, when we spoke to [owner] Woody Johnson today, he said that he thinks Geno Smith can become the franchise quarterback. Do you share in that belief, and, if so, what is the difference between what he is now to what he needs to be to reach that level?"

And here, in total, was Mornhinweg's answer:

"Well, Some of it's experience. Now, he got 16 games last year, he's got some—and, lookit, last year, some good things happened in games for him, four or five come-from-behind, fourth-quarter victories—oh, it's going the other way this year. You know. So the more times that a guy is in that spot, the more times—all of our players, you put them in those spots, you put them in those spots—they tend to get better in those types of situations. From my experience, they tend to get better. So that'll be part of it. So the first thing is experience. There were several things last week—bump bump—oh, you know, [that] surprised me just a little bit. Oh. That rep, another rep or two, that won't happen again. So we're right in that part of it here."

I think Mornhinweg was trying to say Smith needs to get more experience to prove he can be a franchise quarterback, but now I can't find my keys, it's getting dark, and I have no idea how to get home.

Dom Cosentino may be reached at dcosentino@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @domcosentino. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Partial translation:  Geno was in 16 games last year and in five of those games he was put under pressure and emerged with come-from-behind victories.  This year he has not been so successful in those pressure situations but the more he experiences them, even those he loses, the more he grows as a quarterback.

He said that while Geno was overall bad last year that he finished strong and had some positive aspects. Mainly a number of game winning drives. Overall, last year was a learning experience and the more experience Geno gets under center the better. This year he sees some overall improvements but Geno is still making some glaring mistakes and if certain things fo the other way he still could have a few come from behind victories

Archived