Get Beat Like A Pinata for Mariota

neckdemon

I would not want to see us try to develop another rookie QB unless we significantly upgrade the offensive talent first. I would prefer if we bring in a veteran as a caretaker, draft either Amari Cooper or Jaelen Strong and trade up to the back of the first round to grab a guy like Connor Cook from Mich St.

This assumes we are picking top 10 next year, which seems like a pretty safe assumption at this point. I don't want to see us send another rookie QB out there with the weapons we have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not want to see us try to develop another rookie QB unless we significantly upgrade the offensive talent first. I would prefer if we bring in a veteran as a caretaker.

Which one?  Quality veteran QB's rarely see free agency or can be acquired via trade without giving up a huge package of picks, which in most cases simply isn't worth it (SEE:  Cutler, Jay.  And he's probably the BEST veteran QB acquired via trade since Drew Brees).  This is currently the list of QB's set to see free agency in 2015, in order of my perceived market value:

Colin Kaepernick

Brian Hoyer

Jake Locker

Austin Davis

Ryan Mallett

Mark Sanchez

Michael Vick

Christian Ponder

Matt Flynn

Jason Campbell

Tarvaris Jackson

Shaun Hill

Matt Hasselbeck

Colt McCoy

Terrelle Pryor

Matt Moore

Blaine Gabbert

Thaddeus Lewis

Kellen Moore

Trent Edwards

Luke McCown

Joe Webb

Tyrod Taylor

Let's face it.  Kaepernick isn't seeing free agency.  Locker and Austin Davis will probably be brought back.  As will Hoyer unless Manziel gets his shot and does something positive with it this season.  If those 4 get locked up by their teams, there's no one remaining on that list I'd be interested in.

So unless you want to package some picks for a re-signed Hoyer or pay an exorbitant sum for someone else around the league, the draft is our best bet for a QB.

As an Oregon native and a long time Duck fan, I can promise you that Mariota is NOT overrated. He puts up good numbers despite being sacked 6 times a game. He's only 20 and will need some time on the bench. Something he will never get with the Jets or Oakland. I hope neither team gets him.

Im with this guy.  Wishing any young QB with potential to go to the Raiders or the Jets is just mean. 

And ruin another kid's dream?

I know it's very easy to say "the qb sucks" "fire the coach". And it's fun. Even girls on facebook and twitter are giving their expert analysis: OMG, like, Geno Smith is the Worst QB ever!

Wait a minute---- WORSE than Mark Sanchez!? Is that possible?

You mean to tell me that we replaced the sh*ttiest QB in history with an even sh*ttier one? A coincidence like that should raise a few eyebrows, and probably warrants a closer look. And upon further review the only honest assessment of Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez, among any halfway-knowledgable observer, is inconclusive.

Lets separate ourselves from the woman and small children and look at some basic facts about the game:

- It takes two players combined to complete a pass. Anyone who has ever played two-hand touch in the street knows this. One guy throws, one gets open and catches. Instead of "ten mississippi rush", in the NFL a QB typically has slightly under 3 seconds from the snap to get rid of the ball, before hes sacked. In that time, he drops back, searches the field for an open receiver, decides, aims, fires.

In finding a target, he'll look from one receiver to the next as they run their routes, to see if he has created enough space, or separation, between himself and the defender to allow the ball to be thrown and caught without being deflected or intercepted.

Naturally, he'll look to his best guy, with the best chance to make a play, first and go down the line from there. The defense will focus on taking away the best option, and its success in doing so will depend on the quanity and quality of all the options on the field.

Continuing with the basics..........

The NFL is a game of split-seconds. In a throwing motion, it can be the difference from Marino to Tebow. Likewise, a guy who covers 40 yards in 4.3 seconds is a stud, if it takes him 4.7 he's a dog.

Agility, route running precision, change of direction......the difference between a pro-bowler and a practice squad player is the ability to be in a certain spot within fractions of that 3-second window. It's the difference of a complete pass and a punt, a win and a loss.

With that in mind now, we go back four years, to the year that Mark Sanchez stopped going to AFCCs on the road...coincidentially, back to the same year our QBs became inept. And you can't help but notice a BLATANT void of talent at the WR position, the necessary second half of a pass completion....fallen from the formidable group that had wonderfull success (and seemed to be having some fun, doing the "plane" in the endzone......) the two years prior to well below that delicate threshold of success. And there it stayed, for Sanchez' historically terrible years to now Smith's even worse ones...

Remember the QB is one half of a passing attack. FOr the last FOUR years, (4), this is the second half we've thrown out there:

Santonio Holmes--our supet-star, when he wasn't hurt, complaining, crying, dividing the locker room, mailing it in, under-acheiving or just plain sucking

Plaxico Buress- 34, and coming off a 3 year hiatus in the clink..... playing for one more paycheck.

Jeremy Kerley

Stephen Hill

Clyde gates

Patrick turner

Jordan white

Jason hill

Chaz Schillens

Omar epps

Mardy gilyard

Matthew mulligan

Jonathan grimes

David nelson

Hayden smith

Greg salas

Josh cribbs

D

At this point of the season, i think the Jets might have an excellent shot at the guy who will have the highest upside of all the QB's this year.  IMO that's Winston.  That could change as the season goes on, he's off somewhat of a Meh game, but he's got the tools.

He's going to fall a bit because of his immature behavior off the field.  I'd have to take a flyer on him, sit him for a year and hope he matures

It's not a popular opinion but I too hope for Winston over Mariota. If I had to bet on an outcome, neither will escape the top 5.

Even if Winston holds up a convenience store before the draft he's just too good to pass up. He was running dudes over last week at Wake Forest. 

It's not a popular opinion but I too hope for Winston over Mariota. If I had to bet on an outcome, neither will escape the top 5.

Even if Winston holds up a convenience store before the draft he's just too good to pass up. He was running dudes over last week at Wake Forest. 

Yeah, I watched the game, his passing was off a bit, but still I think he has the skills and size to be an excellent NFL QB.

Think he'll be in the top ten still, but he now has I think at least 3 very dumb off field stunts, NFL is getting very politically correct.  if the Jets finish around  6-10 think they might have a shot at him.

Depends of course what the other players start to do.  Will any one else step up?   NCAA season is young yet

How can anyone watch this style of offense and gauge how this guys skills will translate to the NFL. If we take one of these new school mobile QBs we need an OC that knows what to do with them. I don't think Marty would be the guy

Which is another reason I think Harbaugh would be the perfect coach if we're in a position to draft Mariota - tell me he doesn't look like a rich man's Kaepernick in college, and we all see how he developed under Harbaugh.

The media New York is a huge deterrent for any high-level coaching candidate to want to come to the jess not to mention what he who is obviously one of the worst owners of professional sports.

The Raiders will offer some ridiculous amount of money plus you wouldn't even have to remove his family. Also the Dolphins will probably be looking for somebody and they offer that amazing climate and the Giants will probably be looking for a replacement for Coghlan because I'm sure he will retire so why would he consider the New York Jets?

1. The Giants are grooming their new OC to be their next head coach when Coughlin eventually retires, and

2. Harbaugh would consider taking the Jets job if we offered him a) more $ than anyone else, and b ) full control of the operation; both are within our ability to offer, the only question is whether Woody is prepared to make such an offer.

If by "sux" you mean has a .750 win % and in 3 years has made it to one Super Bowl and never done worse than getting to an NFCCG (with 2 different QBs, no less), then sign me up for some "sux" for the next several decades!

Hes an arrogant prick. But you can love him. I don't.

The only credible head coach this team ever hired was Parcells (not counting Holtz though I should).  Woody doesnt believe in paying big $$$ for coaches/GMs or anyone for that matter.   When your GM lacks credibility its impossible to attract a high profile coach...so the GM tends to give the job to a buddy or no-name friend....like when Tannenbaum gave the job to Mangini....So expect Izdik to give the job to someone who had no other chance to get a head coaching job.

The only credible head coach this team ever hired was Parcells (not counting Holtz though I should).  Woody doesnt believe in paying big $$$ for coaches/GMs or anyone for that matter.   When your GM lacks credibility its impossible to attract a high profile coach...so the GM tends to give the job to a buddy or no-name friend....like when Tannenbaum gave the job to Mangini....So expect Izdik to give the job to someone who had no other chance to get a head coaching job.

woody didn't own the team when parcells was coach.

Which one?  Quality veteran QB's rarely see free agency or can be acquired via trade without giving up a huge package of picks, which in most cases simply isn't worth it (SEE:  Cutler, Jay.  And he's probably the BEST veteran QB acquired via trade since Drew Brees).  This is currently the list of QB's set to see free agency in 2015, in order of my perceived market value:

Colin Kaepernick

Brian Hoyer

Jake Locker

Austin Davis

Ryan Mallett

Mark Sanchez

Michael Vick

Christian Ponder

Matt Flynn

Jason Campbell

Tarvaris Jackson

Shaun Hill

Matt Hasselbeck

Colt McCoy

Terrelle Pryor

Matt Moore

Blaine Gabbert

Thaddeus Lewis

Kellen Moore

Trent Edwards

Luke McCown

Joe Webb

Tyrod Taylor

Let's face it.  Kaepernick isn't seeing free agency.  Locker and Austin Davis will probably be brought back.  As will Hoyer unless Manziel gets his shot and does something positive with it this season.  If those 4 get locked up by their teams, there's no one remaining on that list I'd be interested in.

So unless you want to package some picks for a re-signed Hoyer or pay an exorbitant sum for someone else around the league, the draft is our best bet for a QB.

This is embarrassing to say but I'd take Matt Moore over what we have now.  From what I've seen of him, he at least looked competent. 

I would not want to see us try to develop another rookie QB unless we significantly upgrade the offensive talent first. I would prefer if we bring in a veteran as a caretaker, draft either Amari Cooper or Jaelen Strong and trade up to the back of the first round to grab a guy like Connor Cook from Mich St.

This assumes we are picking top 10 next year, which seems like a pretty safe assumption at this point. I don't want to see us send another rookie QB out there with the weapons we have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw extensive highlights of Cook. 6'4 218. BIg kid. He is a cross breed of Manning/Rivers/Roman Gabriel. Excellent touch, strong arm, posied, smart decision making, good pocket presence.   I really really like what I saw. But there's no way you draft Cooper AND Cook. Either one or the other. Both will be gone by pick 8. Petty from Baylor is an early sleeper I also like.  

Archived