NEED TO REPLACE REX AND GENO - Who are the Candidates?

Latinlawyer

Bevell for HC.

1 The Jets need an offensive mind. You cant win having one of the worst offenses in the NFL year after year. Gotta score points.

2 Instill discipline and accountability. No more nonsense. No more quotes.

3 He already trusts Izdk and is familiar with the Seahawks plan.

QB FA and a draft pick

1. Find a competent FA QB and name him the starter for 2015. Its his job to lose.

2. Draft a prospect and do not start immediately. Playing time is earned .Conner Cook is intriguing http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24640106/nfl-draft-michigan-state-preview

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that it matters because the next Head Coach will inevitably be terrible but I honestly couldnt even put 3 names down that the Jets have a legitimate chance of signing.

Bevell
?
?

Who else?  Gruden, Harbaugh, Cowher...they're not coming here.  College ranks?

So Idzik should stay and provide more product like we had on the field yesterday?

He is an epic fail who managed to find a way to screw up a wealth of draft picks.  A receiver rich draft and we got nothing!  Fielding a converted safety as one of your opening day corners???  WTF???  Bringing in a disinterested knucklehead as your backup QB?  Keeping a scouting team that has repeatedly failed to find any mid round talent?  The man is inept, we should cut our losses early in the game and bounce him out of here.

I'm curious, but what's with the recent hype train surrounding Gruden as a head coaching candidate?  I'm not just talking about around here, but I feel like there's been quite a bit about it going on in general.  He has been out of coaching for nearly 6 years now, and wasn't particularly highly regarded at the time that the Bucs sent him packing either.  His success with the Bucs was based largely around a team built by his predecessor and Kiffin's defense, while the offense he was brought in to build never really did much of anything beyond an average season in 2002.  Of course you can't take away that he's got that Super Bowl to his name, but 12 years is a long time, and even longer by NFL standards.

The Jets absolutely need a new coach, but I guess I'd rather a current option as opposed to a retread who has had his own fair share of struggles.  Don't get me wrong, I didn't think Gruden was a bad coach, but he's hardly a hall of fame level guy either, which makes me question the logic in attempting to drag him out of many years of retirement.

NO JAMEIS WINSTON...THAT GUY IS A HEAD CASE. Mariota seems like the best QB on the board...however, the fact that he does not come from a Pro-set O gives me agita....however, what if we draft Mariota AND hire that school's O Coordinator? That would ensure he has the same system in the NFL as well....continuity.

Thoughts?

Winston is a head case but he's probably going to be a better pro. 

I absolutely agree we need to draft a qb in rd 1. 

Bevell for HC.

1 The Jets need an offensive mind. You cant win having one of the worst offenses in the NFL year after year. Gotta score points.

QB FA and a draft pick

1. Find a competent FA QB and name him the starter for 2015. Its his job to lose.

2. Draft a prospect and do not start immediately. Playing time is earned .Conner Cook is intriguing http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24640106/nfl-draft-michigan-state-preview

The Jets have tried hiring defensive coaches...maybe we need an offense minded coach. Bevell would be great.

Bevell for HC.

QB FA and a draft pick

Holly sh*t I totally agree with with this, But like to Draft A Cooper

Its easy to say Fire Rex and Geno but you also should be prepared to at least ask or recommend who replaces them. Its better to discuss how we make this situation better. Idzik is not going anywhere. He is here for 5 years at least so you have to address the areas that can be replaced...namely the HC and QB.

why does Idzik get to stay?   He's accomplished a lot less than Rex did.   

I say clean house and start with a strong GM.   Let the GM pick the HC so we don't repeat the mistakes of the past.  

No, it’s much more than coaching. This seasons roster is no better, and IMO worse than last seasons. How can this be when you are armed with 12 picks and all that cap room, and still over 20M of space available? What’s worse is that last year’s team was a talent purge because of the cap issues. How is it possible you could you not improve on that? What really gets me is the CB situation. Idz knows how critical the CB position is to the Rex D and it actually got worse? Again, how is that possible? I don’t want to hear about injuries because A: it’s the GM’s responsibility to get quality depth at the position and B: He had already drafted 2 players coming off big injuries, one of whom had an up and mostly down year. He should have compensated for this. So what does he do: Signs a guy who is injury prone and not starter quality, and the CB he drafts is coming off a big injury and is counting on him (a rookie) to take over the 2nd CB spot after a few games? Didn’t he learn something about starting rookie CB’s last year? This alone is a fire able offense IMO.

Now lets talk about the WR’s. Last year’s best WR was Kerley, and so far is also this year’s best WR. Last year behind Kerley was a bunch of street guys and/or JV level, a draft bust, and an injured and ineffective Holmes. The only difference this year is Decker who can’t even get on the field, and was generally considered a good but not great WR. I know you can’t anticipate an injury like that, but there’s no excuse for not adding at least one more quality WR given that they had nobody outside of Kerley last year.

This is all on the GM. He has proven to be nothing more than a capologist who doesn’t have an eye for talent. He refuses to budge an inch off what he perceives to be the “value” of a player or trade which winds up costing him opportunities to sign players or trade up in the draft.

I can go on and on about him but I think you get the point. This guy is useless outside of managing the cap.

quote name="Cyberjet" post="2566706" timestamp="1412604195"]

Disagree. This is a coaching issue. Ryan has been very inflexible with his defense constantly calling these exotic blitzes that everyone blocks effectively giving up the big play and 3rd downs. Needs to tone it down on 3rd downs and play more straight up smashmouth defense. Offensively I really don't know what the Morningafter is doing - particularly with a bull like Ivory.

I say clean house and start with a strong GM.   Let the GM pick the HC so we don't repeat the mistakes of the past.  

Because the job came with Rex.

Izdk should at least get to choose his own HC.

Because the job came with Rex.

Izdk should at least get to choose his own HC.

Exactly this. Now can we agree on not repeated posts about Idzik and focus on which new HC and QB we could get? That is a lot more interesting and probable.

I like Chucky...w/o the tuck rule  he would have taken two different teams to the SB in two seasons...pretty damn impressive IMO.  He knows offense and did wonders for Rich Gannon's career.  Chucky as HC, Gannon to run the offense or at least be QB coach.

Gruden will take a huge check to work here.Not sure Harbaugh or Cowher would. And he's a QB/offensive guy. He's still pretty young. Further he's got the cache  and brains that he can run the show. Johnson NEVER FIRES anyone, so better idea, brig in a bright guy who can make Idzik strictly a bean counter. 

You're correct. But Johnson doesn't clean house no matter how earned a firing is.The best you can hope for is a real HC who demotes Idizik and perhaps brings in his own scouting personnel staff.

My top head coaching candidates would be Jim Harbaugh and David Shaw, with Mariota for QB.

you my friend are living in a dream world. it's probably someone like Bevell, if they are lucky. 

If they aren't lucky the HC search stretches on forever and they get no one. Kinda like free agency. 

Woody hasn't spent since 2012. 

Why would Jim Harbaugh want to coach the Jets? 

you my friend are living in a dream world. it's probably someone like Bevell, if they are lucky.

If they aren't lucky the HC search stretches on forever and they get no one. Kinda like free agency.

Oh one thing we know is the search process will be a ridiculous cluster ****.

Bevell, while not ideal, would still represent an improvement over Rex, who is a clueless buffoon. I'd still rather back up the Brinks truck for Harbaugh or Shaw though.

As for reasons Harbaugh might want to come here:

- high draft pick to take a franchise QB (Mariota) to groom

- good salary cap situation

- a team in such shambles that if he ever turned it around he'd be viewed as a football God (especially in a market like NY)

- money (Woody can and should give him a blank check and have him write in whatever amount he wants)

- possibility of running the whole operation (hasn't really been discussed much, but I'd either let him be HC/GM, or HC/head of football operations and let him pick his own GM if he wanted something like that)

I'm not saying that Woody would do these things to get him here, but he should if he were serious about changing the culture and putting a winning product on the field.

Archived