NEED TO REPLACE REX AND GENO - Who are the Candidates?

Latinlawyer

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel a little for Rex. I'm gonna' miss him. End of an era in the AFC East.

I wonder what's going through his head right now. He knows the heat is on, he knows he has no quarterback, no secondary, and he's got Manning, Brady, and 1-6 staring him right in the face.

Then the Bills which are no gimme, and Orton is kind of a boss. Then you go into Arrowhead. That's potentially 1-8.

Then Steelers, Bills, Dolphins, Vikings, Titans, Patriots, Dolphins.

Might get bad before the end. Even the division games against Buffalo and Miami won't be easy because defenses know how to ruin Geno's life now. There's enough film lol.

I was a little sympathetic this last week towards Rex at the Jets post presser. This is his mess but it isn't all his mess. Woody is the Jerry Jones of the AFC, only without the football knowledge. Most of the 2014 dumpster fire is probably on him. I understand rooting for him because he was given your colors, and being hopefuly, but everyone knew Geno was a bust since draft day. Awful draft pick, awful handling of the Sanchez situation, lot of awful I bet is more Woody than Rex.

Idzik was basically the only girl left in the bar at last call. After being spurned by Gamble, Telesco, and Caldwell (and Eric Decosta, but in fairness he declined all interviews to stay with Baltimore), we were desperate to sign someone - anyone. At the end of the day, it was between Idzik, Ted Sundquist, and Omar Khan; the people perceived to be "Tier 1" candidates all balked due to the Rex situation.

Repeating this doesn't make it true. 

Repeating this doesn't make it true.

You know what's funny? None of the "Gamble interviewed poorly, the Jets are no longer interested in him" articles came out right after he first interviewed, but rather in the run up to the follow-up interview, right after the requirement to retain Rex was made known to him, and he coincidentally lost interest at that exact time. What are the odds...

It's almost as if the Jets' PR smeared him through the press to advance a "he didn't decline us, we declined him" narrative, designed to hoodwink the most gullible elements of the fanbase.

You know what's funny? None of the "Gamble interviewed poorly, the Jets are no longer interested in him" articles came out right after he first interviewed, but rather in the run up to the follow-up interview, right after the requirement to retain Rex was made known to him, and he coincidentally lost interest at that exact time. What are the odds...

It's almost as if the Jets' PR smeared him to advance a "he didn't decline us, we declined him" narrative, designed to hoodwink the most gullible elements of the fanbase.

Gamble landed no GM jobs. During the interview process, he put other interviews on hold of concentrate on getting the Jets job. These stories were available in real time. It looked like a done deal, but the Jets passed on him - like the rest of the league. 

Gamble landed no GM jobs. During the interview process, he put other interviews on hold of concentrate on getting the Jets job. These stories were available in real time. It looked like a done deal, but the Jets passed on him - like the rest of the league.

No, he put one interview on hold, the Jags job, after the first Jets interview (which went well) to concentrate on getting this job. These 'stories' you speak of all acknowledged that he was a virtual lock to be hired following the initial Jets interview. Then, prior to the follow-up interview, the Rex requirement was made known, and all of a sudden he schedules an interview with SD (who ultimately decided on Telesco, which wasn't an indictment on Gamble). By now, the Jags already hired Caldwell. So basically, he interviewed with 2 teams - one of which he passed on (us), and one of which passed on him (SD).

But hey, stick to revisionist history and Jets PR spin.

No, he put one interview on hold, the Jags job, after the first Jets interview (which went well) to concentrate on getting this job. These 'stories' you speak of all acknowledged that he was a virtual lock to be hired following the initial Jets interview. Then, prior to the follow-up interview, the Rex requirement was made known, and all of a sudden he schedules an interview with SD (who ultimately decided on Telesco, which wasn't an indictment on Gamble). By now, the Jags already hired Caldwell. So basically, he interviewed with 2 teams - one of which he passed on (us), and one of which passed on him (SD).

But hey, stick to revisionist history and Jets PR spin.

This is not true. The Rex requirement was known from the onset of the process. Rex was sitting in on the interviews, for god's sake. You have other candidates who did pass on the job because of it. it's a legitimate complaint without falsely throwing Gamble in there. 

Please stop posting things as "facts" that aren't true. Thanks. 

This is not true. The Rex requirement was known from the onset of the process. Rex was sitting in on the interviews, for god's sake. You have other candidates who did pass on the job because of it. it's a legitimate complaint without falsely throwing Gamble in there.

Please stop posting things as "facts" that aren't true. Thanks.

Considering Rex was in the Bahamas when Gamble was interviewed, unless the interview took place at the Atlantis resort, I'm pretty sure he wasn't sitting in. But hey, tell me more of these "facts" you speak of.

1st rule of holes: when you're in one, stop digging.

Considering Rex was in the Bahamas when Gamble was interviewed, unless the interview took place at the Atlantis resort, I'm pretty sure he wasn't sitting in. But hey, tell me more of these "facts" you speak of.

1st rule of holes: when you're in one, stop digging.

Crazy idea-entirely plausible a sensible owner(not Woody Johnson) would go back to Gamble and Ross today without the Rex nonsense. Of course Johnson is cheap and won't fire Idzik.

It seems like Idzik was brought in to be a behind the scenes Tannenbaum(pre 2008 Tanny) while Rex and Bradway run the personnel. Gets the sweet title of GM but really has little to no power because personnel isnt his background. 

I'm not seeing it.   I think Idzik is running the show top to bottom, especially if he is making the starting QB decisions.    This team was set up to fail the day Woody replaced a cap manager GM with a cap manager GM.   

I can't see a "big name" HC coming to NY with Idzik installed as GM.   At this point it looks like Shane is finally getting his way and this will be Bevel's team next year.  

Coach- Charlie Weis.

QB- Mark Sanchez.

2015 NFL Free Agents

Player Pos. Team Status

Dominique Davis QB ATL R

Tyrod Taylor QB BAL

Thaddeus Lewis QB BUF R

Joe Webb QB CAR

Jordan Palmer QB CHI

Jason Campbell QB CIN

Josh Johnson QB CIN

Zac Robinson QB CIN R

Brian Hoyer QB CLE

Caleb Hanie QB DAL

Dan Orlovsky QB DET

Kellen Moore QB DET R

Matt Flynn QB GB

Scott Tolzien QB GB

Matt Hasselbeck QB IND

Ricky Stanzi QB JAX

Matt Moore QB MIA

Pat Devlin QB MIA R

Christian Ponder QB MIN

Ryan Mallett QB NE

Luke McCown QB NO

Curtis Painter QB NYG

Rusty Smith QB NYG

Michael Vick QB NYJ

Trent Edwards QB OAK

Mark Sanchez QB PHI

Tarvaris Jackson QB SEA

Terrelle Pryor QB SEA

Blaine Gabbert QB SF

Colin Kaepernick QB SF

Shaun Hill QB STL

Austin Davis QB STL R

Jake Locker QB TEN

Colt McCoy QB WAS

Coach- Charlie Weis.

QB- Mark Sanchez.

2015 NFL Free Agents

Player Pos. Team Status

Dominique Davis QB ATL R

Tyrod Taylor QB BAL

Thaddeus Lewis QB BUF R

Joe Webb QB CAR

Jordan Palmer QB CHI

Jason Campbell QB CIN

Josh Johnson QB CIN

Zac Robinson QB CIN R

Brian Hoyer QB CLE

Caleb Hanie QB DAL

Dan Orlovsky QB DET

Kellen Moore QB DET R

Matt Flynn QB GB

Scott Tolzien QB GB

Matt Hasselbeck QB IND

Ricky Stanzi QB JAX

Matt Moore QB MIA

Pat Devlin QB MIA R

Christian Ponder QB MIN

Ryan Mallett QB NE

Luke McCown QB NO

Curtis Painter QB NYG

Rusty Smith QB NYG

Michael Vick QB NYJ

Trent Edwards QB OAK

Mark Sanchez QB PHI

Tarvaris Jackson QB SEA

Terrelle Pryor QB SEA

Blaine Gabbert QB SF

Colin Kaepernick QB SF

Shaun Hill QB STL

Austin Davis QB STL R

Jake Locker QB TEN

Colt McCoy QB WAS

What are the odds Locker will actually hit the market?

I'm not seeing it.   I think Idzik is running the show top to bottom, especially if he is making the starting QB decisions.    This team was set up to fail the day Woody replaced a cap manager GM with a cap manager GM.   

I can't see a "big name" HC coming to NY with Idzik installed as GM.   At this point it looks like Shane is finally getting his way and this will be Bevel's team next year.

I really don't want another coordinator promotion at head coach if it can be avoided. Nor do I want a guy out of retirement like Cohwer or Gruden. I could see a guy like Harbaugh coming in here and having Parcells-like success; a quick turnaround, and a quick exit. That wouldn't be my first choice, but I can't say I'd hate it, either.

I don't really follow college ball, but my preference would be stealing a successful, active head coach from those ranks. He'd be the first guy in here since Parcells not learning how to be a head coach on the job, and coming from college I'd expect that he'd be able to help Idzik with the draft. Help he needs.

Coach- Charlie Weis.

QB- Mark Sanchez.

2015 NFL Free Agents

Player Pos. Team Status

Dominique Davis QB ATL R

Tyrod Taylor QB BAL

Thaddeus Lewis QB BUF R

Joe Webb QB CAR

Jordan Palmer QB CHI

Jason Campbell QB CIN

Josh Johnson QB CIN

Zac Robinson QB CIN R

Brian Hoyer QB CLE

Caleb Hanie QB DAL

Dan Orlovsky QB DET

Kellen Moore QB DET R

Matt Flynn QB GB

Scott Tolzien QB GB

Matt Hasselbeck QB IND

Ricky Stanzi QB JAX

Matt Moore QB MIA

Pat Devlin QB MIA R

Christian Ponder QB MIN

Ryan Mallett QB NE

Luke McCown QB NO

Curtis Painter QB NYG

Rusty Smith QB NYG

Michael Vick QB NYJ

Trent Edwards QB OAK

Mark Sanchez QB PHI

Tarvaris Jackson QB SEA

Terrelle Pryor QB SEA

Blaine Gabbert QB SF

Colin Kaepernick QB SF

Shaun Hill QB STL

Austin Davis QB STL R

Jake Locker QB TEN

Colt McCoy QB WAS

Kaepernick already signed an extension with SF.  I guess Hoyer would be the only name on that list worth looking that.  Everyone else on that list is horrible.

I really don't want another coordinator promotion at head coach if it can be avoided. Nor do I want a guy out of retirement like Cohwer or Gruden. I could see a guy like Harbaugh coming in here and having Parcells-like success; a quick turnaround, and a quick exit. That wouldn't be my first choice, but I can't say I'd hate it, either.

I don't really follow college ball, but my preference would be stealing a successful, active head coach from those ranks. He'd be the first guy in here since Parcells not learning how to be a head coach on the job, and coming from college I'd expect that he'd be able to help Idzik with the draft. Help he needs.

Zero chance Gruden or Cowher come here to coach.  Gruden loves announcing and if he ever went back to coaching it would be in college.

We might be able to sign Bill Cowher to be the GM if Woody opens up the trust-fund to him.  Cowher has no interest in ever coaching again but a GM job he might be interested in.  Nobody in the NFL drafts as well as the Steelers and Cowher I'm sure was a part of that.

Zero chance Gruden or Cowher come here to coach.  Gruden loves announcing and if he ever went back to coaching it would be in college.

We might be able to sign Bill Cowher to be the GM if Woody opens up the trust-fund to him.  Cowher has no interest in ever coaching again but a GM job he might be interested in.  Nobody in the NFL drafts as well as the Steelers and Cowher I'm sure was a part of that.

Lol, good!

I was saying in that post that I don't want those guys.

The QB and coaching possibilities for Jets next season

By Bart HubbuchOctober 7, 2014 | 10:44am

Modal Trigger

(Clockwise from top left) Jameis Winston, Matt Barkley, Brett Hundley, David Shaw, Jim Harbaugh and Adam Gase.

Photo: Getty Images (5), AP

Who’s got next?

With it looking like the Jets will be in the market for a new starting quarterback and a new head coach for next season, Post NFL writer Bart Hubbuch breaks downs the top candidates:

Quarterback prospects

1. Marcus Mariota, Oregon: Might go No. 1 overall, so the Jets will have competition.

2. Brett Hundley, UCLA: Certainly looks the part physically, although his ability to be a pocket passer remains to be seen.

3. Jameis Winston, Florida State: Undisciplined and too much off-field baggage, but boy, is he talented.

4. Trade: The free-agent crop next winter is horrendous (think: Blaine Gabbert), but the Jets could look into a deal for Matt Barkley or — dare we say it? — Johnny Manziel.

5. Connor Cook, Michigan State: A bit of a dark horse, although QBs from this school seem to be playing pretty well in the NFL these days.

Coaching prospects

1. Jim Harbaugh, 49ers head coach: Lots of people around the league think he’s certain to leave the 49ers. But would Woody Johnson get into a bidding war?

2. Greg Roman, 49ers offensive coordinator: If you can’t get Harbaugh, Harbaugh’s highly respected play-caller wouldn’t be a bad backup plan.

3. Adam Gase, Broncos offensive coordinator: Lots of buzz, but your grandmother could look good calling plays for Peyton Manning.

4. David Shaw, Stanford head coach: Harbaugh’s successor is smart and always seems to be in demand in the NFL.

5. Pep Hamilton, Colts offensive coordinator: He gets a lot of grief from Colts fans for his sometimes-wacky play calling, but Hamilton is well thought of in league circles.

Modal Trigger

(Clockwise from top left) Jameis Winston, Matt Barkley, Brett Hundley, David Shaw, Jim Harbaugh and Adam Gase.

Who’s got next?

With it looking like the Jets will be in the market for a new starting quarterback and a new head coach for next season, Post NFL writer Bart Hubbuch breaks downs the top candidates:

Quarterback prospects

1. Marcus Mariota, Oregon: Might go No. 1 overall, so the Jets will have competition.

2. Brett Hundley, UCLA: Certainly looks the part physically, although his ability to be a pocket passer remains to be seen.

3. Jameis Winston, Florida State: Undisciplined and too much off-field baggage, but boy, is he talented.

4. Trade: The free-agent crop next winter is horrendous (think: Blaine Gabbert), but the Jets could look into a deal for Matt Barkley or — dare we say it? — Johnny Manziel.

5. Connor Cook, Michigan State: A bit of a dark horse, although QBs from this school seem to be playing pretty well in the NFL these days.

Coaching prospects

1. Jim Harbaugh, 49ers head coach: Lots of people around the league think he’s certain to leave the 49ers. But would Woody Johnson get into a bidding war?

2. Greg Roman, 49ers offensive coordinator: If you can’t get Harbaugh, Harbaugh’s highly respected play-caller wouldn’t be a bad backup plan.

3. Adam Gase, Broncos offensive coordinator: Lots of buzz, but your grandmother could look good calling plays for Peyton Manning.

4. David Shaw, Stanford head coach: Harbaugh’s successor is smart and always seems to be in demand in the NFL.

5. Pep Hamilton, Colts offensive coordinator: He gets a lot of grief from Colts fans for his sometimes-wacky play calling, but Hamilton is well thought of in league circles.

Winston is the most talented QB in this year's draft.  He's Cam Newton but a better passer.  I know he's a headcase but you cannot teach that kind of talent.

The Jets fans saying they prefer Mariota over Winston are the same Jets fans who thought it was a good idea to sign Jacoby Ford over guys like Desean Jackson.

Modal Trigger

Who’s got next?

Quarterback prospects

Coaching prospects

It's gonna be this, imo:

HC: 1. Bevell 1a. Dan Quinn

Draft: 1(5)--Amari Cooper or Vic Beasley.

Winston is the most talented QB in this year's draft.  He's Cam Newton but a better passer.  I know he's a headcase but you cannot teach that kind of talent.

The Jets fans saying they prefer Mariota over Winston are the same Jets fans who thought it was a good idea to sign Jacoby Ford over guys like Desean Jackson.

I agree.

If he is on the board when the Jets pick, and he might be with his off field issues, and they pass, I am going to be really upset.  it would be so typical Jets.  Think Marino dumb

Think it's very unlikely Gamble turned down the Jets over Rex.  He has been friends with Rex for twenty years, and was friends with Buddy 

It's more about the lack of control, the inability to "pick one's own guy" than any dislike for Rex personally. My point was that the Rex stipulation chased away several 'tier 1' GM candidates (despite 'slats' relentless insistence to the contrary, Gamble is included in that group), and is the reason we're stuck with a 2nd tier candidate in Idzik.

He's so bad

To be honest, I haven't followed his career in Tennessee.  I know he's been injured a lot, but that's pretty much it.  I liked him a lot in college.

I agree that your boy Bevell is going to be the next coach.  I'd be shocked if Idzik went with someone else.

Hoyer wouldn't be a bad guy to bring in to hold the fort while they groomed a young draft pick.

Archived