Despair, Disappointment and Frustration - Some Hope from Wales

SwanseaJack

Hello everyone from Wales (part of the UK and no, it is NOT in England)

I've recently got into the NFL (American Football as we call it here) and given the fact that the first ever live game I'm seeing is in the MetLife in December vs the Dolphins, I've taken the Jets in as my team. Is that the only reason though? No it's not. Part of the reason why I have taken a shine to them is reading these forums and seeing the absolute and utter despair you guys have with them. It's also down to the hapless errors they seem to make and Geno Smith being pretty much identical to one of my football (as in soccer) team's favourite players.

I don't know very much about what you guys call football so I'm not going to add my view on things. I did watch the first 3 quarters of the game last night (for me anyway) and thought it was pretty bad though but that's not why I'm here.

I'm here to tell you about my local soccer (I hate calling it that but I'll respect my present company) team In the hope that it can offer you some hope in the weeks and months to come. As a bit of background, I support Swansea City. Been watching them home and away for around 15-20 years. The Football League (which we play in despite being only one of a handful of Welsh teams amongst English ones) comprises of 92 teams, across 4 tiered divisions of 20, 24, 24 and 24. There is promotion and relegation between each one so the bottom 3 in the top tier (Premier League) swap places at the end of the season with the top 3 in the second tier (the championship) and so on. Below the bottom divisions are countless other divisions of semi professional leagues.

For years, Swansea were rubbish. Scraping around the bottom league, playing to crowds of a few thousand against the very worst teams the Football League has to offer. It's a good laugh but the football is rubbish, the grounds (stadiums) are rubbish and the players are rubbish. Swansea fitted in perfectly. I'm talking about being in substantial debt, crumbling stadium and crook owners.

Things came to a head in 2003 when we stayed in the league on the very last day of the season. We spent much of the year being the 92nd ranked team out of 92 but eventually fought our way up the table to reach the dizzy heights of 89th.

This was the kick up the ass (arse as we say) that we needed. We had some good players and eventually we moved into the higher league (I.e 45-68 positions) and changed stadiums. We then won promotion again into the second tier (21-44) and we were in dreamland. We didn't think things could get any better but then they did! We won promotion yet again to move to the premier league. To be honest, I'd have said there was more chance of me dating Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett Johanson at the same time then there ever was of us ever reaching these heights. We've been here for 3 and a bit seasons now and touch wood are looking comfortable and like we belong here (though it feels like we don't still) - we're playing and beating all these huge clubs and it's just incredible.

The point I'm making boys and girls is that if little old Swansea City can haul themselves from the depths of hell then so can the Jets. I'll tell you something else too, all the years of crap make it all the more sweeter when you do achieve something- fingers crossed you guys don't have to wait too long!

I've recently got into the NFL (American Football as we call it here) and given the fact that the first ever live game I'm seeing is in the MetLife in December vs the Dolphins, I've taken the Jets in as my team.

you have just made a huuuuuuuuuuge mistake.

there is still time to reconsider. most here have no choice but you guys don't need to go through this.

good luck in the Premier league this year

TIL Swansea went through some ownership upheaval (right around that 2003 year) and is actually majority owned by the fans. Several times it was sold for a pound, trading places style. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swansea_City_A.F.C.#Last_years_at_Vetch_Field_and_return_to_League_One_.282001.E2.80.932005.29

If we were owned by the fans we would have a new coach and QB every single week. 

I've recently got into the NFL (American Football as we call it here) and given the fact that the first ever live game I'm seeing is in the MetLife in December vs the Dolphins, I've taken the Jets in as my team. Is that the only reason though? No it's not. Part of the reason why I have taken a shine to them is reading these forums and seeing the absolute and utter despair you guys have with them. It's also down to the hapless errors they seem to make and Geno Smith being pretty much identical to one of my football (as in soccer) team's favourite players.

I don't know very much about what you guys call football so I'm not going to add my view on things. I did watch the first 3 quarters of the game last night (for me anyway) and thought it was pretty bad though but that's not why I'm here.

I'm here to tell you about my local soccer (I hate calling it that but I'll respect my present company) team In the hope that it can offer you some hope in the weeks and months to come. As a bit of background, I support Swansea City. Been watching them home and away for around 15-20 years. The Football League (which we play in despite being only one of a handful of Welsh teams amongst English ones) comprises of 92 teams, across 4 tiered divisions of 20, 24, 24 and 24. There is promotion and relegation between each one so the bottom 3 in the top tier (Premier League) swap places at the end of the season with the top 3 in the second tier (the championship) and so on. Below the bottom divisions are countless other divisions of semi professional leagues.

For years, Swansea were rubbish. Scraping around the bottom league, playing to crowds of a few thousand against the very worst teams the Football League has to offer. It's a good laugh but the football is rubbish, the grounds (stadiums) are rubbish and the players are rubbish. Swansea fitted in perfectly. I'm talking about being in substantial debt, crumbling stadium and crook owners.

Things came to a head in 2003 when we stayed in the league on the very last day of the season. We spent much of the year being the 92nd ranked team out of 92 but eventually fought our way up the table to reach the dizzy heights of 89th.

This was the kick up the ass (arse as we say) that we needed. We had some good players and eventually we moved into the higher league (I.e 45-68 positions) and changed stadiums. We then won promotion again into the second tier (21-44) and we were in dreamland. We didn't think things could get any better but then they did! We won promotion yet again to move to the premier league. To be honest, I'd have said there was more chance of me dating Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett Johanson at the same time then there ever was of us ever reaching these heights. We've been here for 3 and a bit seasons now and touch wood are looking comfortable and like we belong here (though it feels like we don't still) - we're playing and beating all these huge clubs and it's just incredible.

The point I'm making boys and girls is that if little old Swansea City can haul themselves from the depths of hell then so can the Jets. I'll tell you something else too, all the years of crap make it all the more sweeter when you do achieve something- fingers crossed you guys don't have to wait too long!

Great post. Thanks.

Have you read "The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro"?

Welcome to the board....love me some Wales. Never been to Swansea, but hit Cardiff and Conwy....made a special trip to Swallow Falls when I thought it was named after the mod lounge but as it turns out, it was around long before JN.

http://www.britainexpress.com/attractions.htm?attraction=4690

What did you think of Cardiff? Sporting wise they're our big rivals. It's actually where I live though as I moved here 2 years ago. It's a pretty good place to live, especially amongst all their fans given our success over the last few years.

you only lived through 20 years of suck for Swansea? that's fair weather by jets fans standards. welcome

I know right! But then again at least you've watched the Jets lose to good teams with excellent players in. We've spent most of the last 20 odd years losing to dross. And you get cheerleaders which we don't generally get. Those teams in the lower leagues with cheerleaders well all I can say was that the quality of the girls matched the quality of the teams.

I think maybe we can call it even?

TIL Swansea went through some ownership upheaval (right around that 2003 year) and is actually majority owned by the fans. Several times it was sold for a pound, trading places style.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swansea_City_A.F.C.#Last_years_at_Vetch_Field_and_return_to_League_One_.282001.E2.80.932005.29

Good knowledge. There's actually a film out at the moment charting our rise called "Jack to a King" - very interesting it is too.

I remember the old chairman coming in and trying to fire all our best players, players not getting paid their wages (most would have been on £1,000 a week at the absolute most). Scary times and twice as bad as anything that's ever happened on the field.

If we were owned by the fans we would have a new coach and QB every single week.

I had to laugh reading these forums because the one I use for Swansea is exactly the same as this. Same arguments, same points scoring, same everything. Swap the words "Geno Smith" with Jonjo Shelvey and the threads are identical.

You'd think the fans would be happy with the success and most are. The club are still criticised at every opportunity by many though which is bizarre.

Cyril the Swan is a legend.

Yes - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_the_Swan

Back in the days when we were rubbish he was probably the most entertaining thing about watching us. He's slowed down a bit since they introduced his wife Cybil unfortunately.

My favourite story was when he attended a misconduct hearing in full costume (all 7ft of it). Cyril, his "translator" and a bunch of old guys in suits sat in a room discussing his behaviour. Brilliant.

I think it's more Shelvey's amazing ability to pick the worst possible times to do his headless chicken impersonation.

This game sums up Jonjo Shelvey - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24012560

That said, at least he apologised to the fans and didn't swear at them as he was brought off. Wouldn't put it past him though.

What did you think of Cardiff? Sporting wise they're our big rivals. It's actually where I live though as I moved here 2 years ago. It's a pretty good place to live, especially amongst all their fans given our success over the last few years.

I know right! But then again at least you've watched the Jets lose to good teams with excellent players in. We've spent most of the last 20 odd years losing to dross. And you get cheerleaders which we don't generally get. Those teams in the lower leagues with cheerleaders well all I can say was that the quality of the girls matched the quality of the teams.

I think maybe we can call it even?

Good knowledge. There's actually a film out at the moment charting our rise called "Jack to a King" - very interesting it is too.

I remember the old chairman coming in and trying to fire all our best players, players not getting paid their wages (most would have been on £1,000 a week at the absolute most). Scary times and twice as bad as anything that's ever happened on the field.

I had to laugh reading these forums because the one I use for Swansea is exactly the same as this. Same arguments, same points scoring, same everything. Swap the words "Geno Smith" with Jonjo Shelvey and the threads are identical.

You'd think the fans would be happy with the success and most are. The club are still criticised at every opportunity by many though which is bizarre.

I enjoyed Cardiff...went there for a couple of pub gigs, cardiff castle, etc...did the normal touristy stuff.  Conwy was nice, but got my car stuck in some pretty deep mud up a single-track in some pretty isolated hills...not fun, but loved Wales.  Will definitely be visiting regulary when I move back to the UK in a couple years.

Yes your right playing with a thin squad, and all our best players out.

I'm a ST holder at Swansea so saw our game back in August. You reminded me very much of us during our first season in the prem. All very nice but no real cutting edge. We got lucky insofar as Danny Graham had a couple of good runs of scoring form as did Gylfi Sigurdsson when we signed him on loan in the January. Hopefully someone can do the same for you.

What brings someone from Burnley to a NY Jets forum then?

Conwy was nice, but got my car stuck in some pretty deep mud up a single-track in some pretty isolated hills...not fun, but loved Wales. 

Been through Conwy a few times. And always very fast on the A55. Thank you Chief Constable of North Wales, for your policy of being a total b*****d to local speeding drivers, while forcing your people to ignore foreign registered cars breaking every speed limit going.  :biggrin:

• 1 year later...

Just revisiting this post from over a year ago.

I wanted to say that I was really sorry that the Jets missed out on the playoffs over the weekend and in such heartbreaking circumstances too. Swansea are having a bad season as well so my earlier optimism looks misplaced.

Despite the ending, I really enjoyed watching the jets this season on TV over here and NFL Pass. I watched each of the last 5 games and stayed up until 3:30am to watch the win v the Cowboys - so many exciting games towards the end of the season even if ultimately they meant very little. I honestly thought they were going to do it after they beat the Pats and the Steelers lost to the Ravens and was looking forward to the playoffs! I probably should have known better.

Also enjoyed going to the MetLife stadium last season against the Dolphins. It was a horrible game and the Jets were awful but it shows how far they've come this season. The situation was pretty bleak back then.

I'm hopefully going to be in New York next November so hoping that I can catch another game when I'm there...

Fingers crossed the Jets can go one better next season and get that playoff berth and the Swans don't get relegated!!

this is a random question but do you speak Welsh? 

No mate I don't. Bits and bobs but not properly.

I'm from South Wales about midway across. It's spoken a lot the further west you go and also up North (although they speak a slightly different version).

Speaking Welsh is getting quite fashionable now or at least getting your kids to is. A lot of non Welsh speaking parents are sending their kids to Welsh speaking schools these days. Don't know why!

Archived