Who will takeover for Rex?

Freemanm

Seems like maybe Idzik is going to take over as HC. Seems like he is already doing it.

RurRzJBE_normal.jpeg

Kristian Dyer @KristianRDyer

Rex on keeping Geno as starter: "It was an organizational decision." #Jets #NYJets1h

Beat Writer / Columnist

Stuff like this makes me think Rex gets another year for following orders.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO the question here is, what sought after HC candidate will want the job under the circumstances?  It seems likely that Rex will be fired, and Idzik will be given one more year to show he isn't a boob.  A lot of fans, and media think that if Rex goes, Idzik should also.

If Idzik does as poorly next offseason as he did this year, his head will most likely be on the block also.   If your a hot commodity as a HC, do you want to sign with a team who's GM has one foot on the platform, and one foot on the train.  If Idzik gets fired next year, where does it leave you?

Is Woody going to keep you in place, and force the next GM to keep Idzik's selection?

I'm in the camp that if Rex is chopped, Idzik should go also

The people who think Idzik will be fired any time soon conveniently forget the amazing amount of rope Woody gave to Mike Tannenbaum. If Idzik wants Bevell or Quinn, he'll be able to offer assurances that he couldn't give Rex, because Rex deserved no assurances. 

Stuff like this makes me think Rex gets another year for following orders.

I think this is what Rex refers to when he says "organizational decision":

Rex: "Marty, what's goin' on with the quarterback? Jeez.

Marty: "Don't worry about it."

Rex: "Alright, jeez, you don't gotta yell at me."

I think this is what Rex refers to when he says "organizational decision":

Rex: "Marty, what's goin' on with the quarterback? Jeez.

Marty: "Don't worry about it."

Rex: "Alright, jeez, you don't gotta yell at me."

You hear any of Rex's press conference? Between throwing Marty under the bus, and last week's no-source rumors about how Idzik picked Geno, it's very clear Ryan is doing what he does best to try to extend his career yet again.

Many here consider him a "master motivator". I think that his self-preservation and masterful manipulation skills are far more impressive.

I've actually never seen anything quite like it.

You hear any of Rex's press conference? Between throwing Marty under the bus, and last week's no-source rumors about how Idzik picked Geno, it's very clear Ryan is doing what he does best to try to extend his career yet again.

Many here consider him a "master motivator". I think that his self-preservation and masterful manipulation skills are far more impressive.

I've actually never seen anything quite like it.

Learned it all by watching Tannenbaum. 

A friend of mine (soon to be ex-friend) said the other day that Jets fans wanting Rex fired is the typical knee-jerk reaction of Jets fans. I think al of you would agree with me that that's not the case. Four years ago, our offense sucked, we had virtually no passing game, we got too many dumb penalties and our defense was decent at stopping the run but couldn't stop teams on 3rd and long.

I would challenge anyone to answer this question - what has changed in the past four seasons, other than our secondary sucking more? Sorry, but when nothing changes in four seasons, it's time for the head coach to go

The people who think Idzik will be fired any time soon conveniently forget the amazing amount of rope Woody gave to Mike Tannenbaum. If Idzik wants Bevell or Quinn, he'll be able to offer assurances that he couldn't give Rex, because Rex deserved no assurances. 

What Tannenbaum had going for him was 2 AFC championship games.  He convinced Woody that all he needed was one more expensive toy, and this was the year that Sanchez was going to take a step forward.  When it became obvious that wasn't going to happen he was shown the door.

In Idzik's case after 2 years there seems to be even a further slide back.   His young QB seems to be a bust.  There really aren't any bright young players he drafted on the roster he can point to and say "see how good I did."  Teams a mess.  Looks like they are going to have to start all over again next year.

Woody MAY be disgusted and say "yeah  lets start all over again, new GM and all". 

What Tannenbaum had going for him was 2 AFC championship games.  He convinced Woody that all he needed was one more expensive toy, and this was the year that Sanchez was going to take a step forward.  When it became obvious that wasn't going to happen he was shown the door.

In Idzik's case after 2 years there seems to be even a further slide back.   His young QB seems to be a bust.  There really aren't any bright young players he drafted on the roster he can point to and say "see how good I did."  Teams a mess.  Looks like they are going to have to start all over again next year.

Woody MAY be disgusted and say "yeah  lets start all over again, new GM and all". 

While I agree that Woody is probably that stupid, I think Idzik gets a shot with his coach and that coach's QB. If Rex is as much of a problem as I believe he is, the team will appear to have more young talent on it next year than it does now.

While I agree that Woody is probably that stupid, I think Idzik gets a shot with his coach and that coach's QB. If Rex is as much of a problem as I believe he is, the team will appear to have more young talent on it next year than it does now.

We're only 5 games into the season.  Lets see if this dumpster fire spreads till it burns down the whole neighborhood.  Odds are that this time next week they will be 1-6

I would love to see Rex stay as our DC.  He seems like the type who would proudly accept that demotion as I don't think he would personally view it as a demotion.

IMO that would be the perfect scenario.    Also not going to happen.  Rex is to involved with the players personally.   A certain group of the players would still be looking at Rex as the boss, and undermine the new HC.  No HC is going to risk that undermining  

What we are being subjected to, and what Woody facilitates, is the practice of career extension.

President's do it in their first term, everything they do is meant to get them a second term.

In the NFL, General Managers do it by keeping a coach they didn't choose, which buys them the amount of time it takes for that coach to get fired, as well as the time it takes to break in and see what they've got in the coach of their choice. Coaches do it by selecting rookie QBs, and squandering their career development until it become necessary to fire the offensive coordinator, then trying a new OC with the same QB, then changing QBs and OCs all over again. 

These are examples drawn from the Jets, because the Jets (Woody) allow themselves to be taken advantage of like this more gratuitously than many other franchises, particularly because Woody doesn't clean house. The act of cleaning house nips a lot of the exploitation of overlapping regimes in the bud. 

What we've seen over the last half decade between Tanny, Rex and now even Idzik seems to be doing it, is a clinic on how to add years to your career while holding the franchise hostage.

IMO that would be the perfect scenario.    Also not going to happen.  Rex is to involved with the players personally.   A certain group of the players would still be looking at Rex as the boss, and undermine the new HC.  No HC is going to risk that undermining  

I agree, it was just a lighthearted thought to be honest. 

What we are being subjected to, and what Woody facilitates, is the practice of career extension.

President's do it in their first term, everything they do is meant to get them a second term.

In the NFL, General Managers do it by keeping a coach they didn't choose, which buys them the amount of time it takes for that coach to get fired, as well as the time it takes to break in and see what they've got in the coach of their choice. Coaches do it by selecting rookie QBs, and squandering their career development until it become necessary to fire the offensive coordinator, then trying a new OC with the same QB, then changing QBs and OCs all over again. 

These are examples drawn from the Jets, because the Jets (Woody) allow themselves to be taken advantage of like this more gratuitously than many other franchises, particularly because Woody doesn't clean house. The act of cleaning house nips a lot of the exploitation of overlapping regimes in the bud. 

What we've seen over the last half decade between Tanny, Rex and now even Idzik seems to be doing it, is a clinic on how to add years to your career while holding the franchise hostage.

Brilliantly said. This is a great analogy, and an excellent analysis of why our only curse is who our owner is, nothing of the spiritual or mythological variety.

I would love to see Rex stay as our DC.  He seems like the type who would proudly accept that demotion as I don't think he would personally view it as a demotion.

The only coach I'd keep around is Dunbar. The rest should be dismissed along with Rex.

I bet he'd take the job if we offered him full control (which I'd be more than willing to do).

The only reason a guy like Harbaugh would take this job is a dump truck full of money.

Woody doesn't care enough to pay off Idzik and Rex in the same offseason, and then crack open the vault for Harbaugh. 

He needs that money for his daily swim. 

ScroogeMcDuck.gif

The only reason a guy like Harbaugh would take this job is a dump truck full of money.

Woody doesn't care enough to pay off Idzik and Rex in the same offseason, and then crack open the vault for Harbaugh. 

ScroogeMcDuck.gif

Bringing in Harbaugh would probably more than pay for itself several times over, regardless of the cost. Not that Woody is smart enough to know that, but it would.

I would hire Harbaugh at all costs, and let him pick the GM.

Bringing in Harbaugh would probably more than pay for itself several times over, regardless of the cost. Not that Woody is smart enough to know that, but it would.

I would hire Harbaugh at all costs, and let him pick the GM.

Oh I don't doubt that it's a smart move. It's just not a likely move. 

ScroogeMcDuck.gif

And I'd give it to him. If I were Woody, I'd hand him a blank check and tell him to write in whatever amount he thinks he deserves. I think the investment would more than pay for itself in short order.

And I'd give it to him. If I were Woody, I'd hand him a blank check and tell him to write in whatever amount he thinks he deserves. I think the investment would more than pay for itself in short order.

agree, it will take a ass kicker, who could care less if players like him,, in other words, a coach more interested in winning than being pals and letting less talented Vets keep jobs longer than warranted.

Archived