Kerley: "Energy's Gone a little bit"

flgreen

Jeremy Kerley on Jets: 'Energy's gone a little bit'

Updated October 8, 2014 10:45 PM

By KIMBERLEY A. MARTIN  kimberley.martin@newsday.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Although Rex Ryan remains adamant that his Jets will resurrect their season, his players are finding it more and more difficult to shake the frustration that comes with a four-game losing streak.

With only days until Peyton Manning and the Broncos (3-1) fly into town, the Jets' latest defeat still eats away at them.

"It's tough,'' slot receiver Jeremy Kerley told Newsday, referring to Sunday's 31-0 loss in San Diego.

"It's No. 4 in a row. And you've got guys who are playing hard and busting their butts, so the energy -- it's gone a little bit. So we've got to dig deep, find some way to get it back.

"We've got to go out and prove ourselves week after week, but just with the pressure of four losses in a row, and then you've got an opponent like Denver, it's just tough,'' added Kerley, who has 19 catches for 168 yards and a touchdown. "You've got to climb out of a hole already and then you've got to play an opponent like that.''

Ryan understands his players' frustration over their 1-4 record, but he also wasn't pleased with the way they began practice Wednesday.

"Today we were kind of licking our wounds a little bit,'' Ryan said. "I told our team we've got to get a little more bounce in our step, a little more energy. It was very workmanlike. That's a good thing, but we've got to move past some things and let's get it on.''

But the Jets' slump appears to have shaken their psyche.

"I feel like that's just natural,'' Kerley said, referring to their lack of energy. "When guys are playing hard and playing at a high level, people are going to get fatigued and tired, and then you put a loss on top of that. It's almost like a mental thing.

"If we can get mentally back in it -- which we will -- we'll be all right.''

Geno Smith couldn't pinpoint why guys started practice "a little sluggish'' but said everyone "picked it up'' as it went on.

Yet Ryan remains as optimistic and energetic as ever. He proclaimed Tuesday that this season will be "far from an embarrassment'' in an ESPN New York radio interview.

The question is: Do his players share the same belief?

"I don't know, you'd have to ask them,'' Ryan said. "I believe that this team knows we're going to find a way to get it done and knows that we're going to find a way to win. So I would say so.''

Smith said it "can be dangerous'' when players get down on themselves, but he has "yet to see signs'' of that in the locker room. When asked if his team is "beaten down,'' Ryan denied it, but said he would prefer that his players turn the page on their dismal start.

"As a team we feel like we've let each other down somehow, that we're not where we want to be, certainly,'' Ryan said.

"But I expect that enthusiasm to pick up. I know for a fact that we'll be popping out of our skin to play this one. We're playing Peyton Manning & Co. This is as good as the NFL has to offer, and so who doesn't want to play arguably the best team in the National Football League?''

You've got coaches who achieve success but burn out their teams because of too much intensity over an extended period of time.  Then, you have Rex -- who has done this trick through ineptitude, lack or organization and discipline, plus all the drama and minus the success.  The end result is the same.

In many ways JETS went to the season priding themselves on the performance of JETS front 7. That was the unit that was the driving force. Now JETS are up there in amount of sacks.

But the way refs have called the game and have overlooked blatant holding calls it has dulled how lethal this JETS front 7 can be to a large extent. We end up giving 3 and long conversions. Heck we should be close to the top if not leading the league in allowing such conversions. I don't like to complain about ref calls but they are having a major impact on how the JETS are playing. Now i know they are all professionals but it also leaves the defensive players deflated and for longer periods of time on the field.

So yeah as the losses keep piling up and the strongest unit on your team is deflated and fatigued it does rub on rest of the team. I am not surprised by what Kerley says. Already one beat writer is writing that  Rex saying his job is on the line yesterday is a motivational ploy. His responses in today presser did seem he is trying to motivate the team to take the onus. We will see if that works.

A fish rots from the head.

Fire Rex immediately following the coming Denver blowout, let Mornhinweg do the interim thing for the rest of the season (he's got sufficient experience coaching 2 and 3 win teams to top 3 picks), and immediately contact San Fran to work out a trade package to bring Harbaugh here next year to run the whole operation - new front office, new scouting department, new coaching staff.

photo.jpg

Ever compete in something as a team when you know you're not very good?  Like every single time you take the field/court/whatever and know you're just not as good as the other team?  I have.  It sucks then energy out big time.  

I'm sure knowing you have the worst player in the league at the most important position has something to do with it.

This is on Rex though.  If the energy is dead, take them to Dave and Busters! 

These players sound like emotionally enabled, over-coddled bitches that want to pass the buck, or rationalize their moping ineptitude.

It's true, they can say whatever they want and the "players' coach won't ever criticize them or take some kind of leadership role (which, IS his job) No, the Jets can say they aren't into it this week, and the team lacks discipline at practice, or even worse still a QUARTERBACK SAID HE WASN'T PREPARED!!!!! Now whose fault is THAT one?  Rex Ryan, let me just say this; every time I go online and click over here to Jet Nation, I always hope to see the headline saying that REX RYAN IS FIRED!!! I am expecting it but gutless (balsa) Wood-e- Johnson doesn't have the balls to do what needs to be done

First reports that the team isnt preparing like professionals, Geno missing meetings with no consequences, vick not ready, and now kerley with this... THE TEAM HAS QUIT ON REX RYAN. I think blindly stick with Geno and not benching him for being late was final straw for the locker room. When you are too soft, the guy getting a pass is happy, but the rest of the team feels the coach doesnt have their back when one of them sabatoges the team.

This sounds like a team that believes it has been set up to fail from the start.

This sounds like the WORST Jets team in it's long history. When have we EVER heard stuff like this from the Jets and nothing being done about it? Can you imagine if Parcells was the head coach and we were seeing this stuff being done and said about HIS team? No frigging way. I't the beginning of October and the season is already over in their eyes. I mean they are a hope-less crew. We haven't read anything hope-FULL in weeks. Rex Ryan needs to be fired just the way that IPBanBadPosters said in post #7 in this thread.

Can't wait (Pardon the pun) to see how the crowd reacts Sunday.

If it is this bad now wait till December when there is nobody there and the ones that are are rooting the opposition.

Thankfully for me the Rangers start tonight.

I really hope that some of the Jets fans are brave enough to don a paper bag on their heads for the cameras to AND FOR THE OWNER to see. A highlight that starts with a shot of a few Jets fans with bagged heads might be what it takes to get this idiot milktoast of an owner into acting for the benefit of the team and for us, the fans. ESPN, Mike and Mike, Stephan A Smith and his boyfriend Skip Bayless not to mention the 24 hour a day NFL Network starting off their highlight reel of the Broncos decimating the Jets on Sunday with a nice tight shot of two Jets fans wearing bags on their heads, well THAT I am willing to bet will most surely spur some kind of action. Johnson MUST show leadership, he MUST at least show the appearance of TRYING to do something positive and firing Ryan is step 1, and should be done BEFORE the leaves are off the trees

First reports that the team isnt preparing like professionals, Geno missing meetings with no consequences, vick not ready, and now kerley with this... THE TEAM HAS QUIT ON REX RYAN. I think blindly stick with Geno and not benching him for being late was final straw for the locker room. When you are too soft, the guy getting a pass is happy, but the rest of the team feels the coach doesnt have their back when one of them sabatoges the team.

If this was a game of H-O-R-S-E, but you were spelling Q-U-I-T instead, this Jets team is probably shooting for the "T" right now. If they don't eke out a win vs the Pats or Broncos the next two weeks, it could be a 4-12 season.

Team full of bitch losers

Fire Rex immediately following the coming Denver blowout, let Mornhinweg do the interim thing for the rest of the season (he's got sufficient experience coaching 2 and 3 win teams to top 3 picks), and immediately contact San Fran to work out a trade package to bring Harbaugh here next year to run the whole operation - new front office, new scouting department, new coaching staff.

This whole organization does nothing but talk since Rex arrived. All blabber, no accountability.

You've got coaches who achieve success but burn out their teams because of too much intensity over an extended period of time.  Then, you have Rex -- who has done this trick through ineptitude, lack or organization and discipline, plus all the drama and minus the success.  The end result is the same.

...and I'm the negative one. 

Get a grip.

photo.jpg

The Jets will not fire him during the season. Your wasting your time with that.

If this was a game of H-O-R-S-E, but you were spelling Q-U-I-T instead, this Jets team is probably shooting for the "T" right now. If they don't eke out a win vs the Pats or Broncos the next two weeks, it could be a 4-12 season.

3 of the last 4 seasons.

i cannot believe a veteran would allow himself to not have his energy levels ready for a big game. geno, vick, kerley, davis... all of these individual bad actors. poor rex to be dealt such a hand of malcontents.

...and I'm the negative one. 

Get a grip.

I only said that you were a Wrecks apologist/groupie who seeks to absolve him from any responsibility for the current state of the team; I never said you were negative.

The Jets will not fire him during the season. Your wasting your time with that.

Just because they probably won't, doesn't mean they shouldn't (unless not firing him mid-season is a calculated attempt to tank, knowing the team has already quit on him and won't play hard for the remainder of the season).

Ever compete in something as a team when you know you're not very good?  Like every single time you take the field/court/whatever and know you're just not as good as the other team?  I have.  It sucks then energy out big time.  

I'm sure knowing you have the worst player in the league at the most important position has something to do with it.

This is on Rex though.  If the energy is dead, take them to Dave and Busters! 

DItto I have also played on a team with a terrible QB and the psychological impact of that is huge. If the team doesn't believe in the QB, there's no chance.  Firing the coach doesn't really change the fact that games are won by playmakers. 

Just because they probably won't, doesn't mean they shouldn't (unless not firing him mid-season is a calculated attempt to tank, knowing the team has already quit on him and won't play hard for the remainder of the season).

I read somewhere that Rex actually has some guaranteed money on his contract in 2015.  If this is true, why would Woody cash him out ?

DItto I have also played on a team with a terrible QB and the psychological impact of that is huge. If the team doesn't believe in the QB, there's no chance.  Firing the coach doesn't really change the fact that games are won by playmakers. 

If only the players would stop screwing over Rex.

an NFL player only has so many years in them, their careers just aren't that long as it is.  When you have a team basically giving up on the season and a GM sitting on $21 million in cap space where's the motivation?  I'm defending these guys because most of them are making millions of dollars to basically play a game but why risk injury?  Especially if you're a player going into free agency like Jeremy Kerley.

an NFL player only has so many years in them, their careers just aren't that long as it is.  When you have a team basically giving up on the season and a GM sitting on $21 million in cap space where's the motivation?  I'm defending these guys because most of them are making millions of dollars to basically play a game but why risk injury?  Especially if you're a player going into free agency like Jeremy Kerley.

It's their job.

It's their job.

I don't disagree but these guys are still human.  Think about your job and if your company didn't seem invested would you put in 100% effort?  Probably not, maybe that's just me but I find it hard to believe everyone here would.  Again, not an excuse just reality.

Archived