John Idzik: MERGED

detjetsfan69

I don't think this is at all inconsistent with his perceived strategy. Build the team foundation and depth through the draft and use free agency/ trades to fill needs particularly when there is value and upside in such a transaction. Idzik is a very studied GM and will not panic and sell the store out of desperation.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His 10.5 mil salary next year is the same as Revis' 21 mil in that neither of them are getting it.

I'd imagine if Percy plays nice and produces he'll restructure and be given a deal similar to Decker.  Jets are in a good position as if he won't take a pay cut they can simply cut him knowing there likely wouldn't be any GM willing to pay that price.  Seems it would be a huge gamble for Harvin to play hardball and risk getting low balled in what has been a buyers market of late.

I have to believe Idzik has already floated the idea of a restructure to Harvins agent and was led to believe they'd be willing to.  If he's as calculated and deliberate as we've been led to believe there's zero chance discussions about next year and beyond haven't taken place. 

Do you watch the games?  The CB's get beat and the WR's can't get open.  

That's what I saw in the games through last night.

Hopefully Percy will help change the last part of that because the first part is going to play out like that way for awhile.

lets see what happens the rest of the season before we talk money and picks if he sucks or just cant get along with others he must be cut and if he is great I say cut him at the end of the season and bring him back so the pick is like a 4th

Do you think this trade is Idziks admission that building through the draft is tough and that he royally f'kd up last draft?

Also do you think it's a good thing that he might be willing to adjust his strategy?

For years we have been complaining about the way the Jets would keep their draft picks around so long, HOPING that they will someday get "it' (remember Rex going so far as to even have Gholston start a fight in practice?) pathetic. The idiot 2nd rounder from Boston College and perhaps one of the worst offensive linemen I have ever seen? They kept him around way too long too. I like what the Patriots have been doing all these years; if a guy sucks, then you cut him regardless of whether or not he is a draftee of yours or not. Forget about this "saving face" crapola that Tannenbaum always tried to employ. So you can either have it one way or the other; me, I like the new Jets way. I know it hurts and it looks really bad but there are more ways than one to build a team 

Do you think this trade is Idziks admission that building through the draft is tough and that he royally f'kd up last draft?

Also do you think it's a good thing that he might be willing to adjust his strategy?

Not really.  I think it is a case of Percy Harvin suddenly beaming available because he is punching out his teammates, he became available at a very good price, his salary considerations are ideal, and Idzik wants to find out once and for all about Geno.  Give him some talent and see what he does with it.  In cap terms this is a very good deal, and does not put the team under a long term obligation.

If I had to guess i would say he has been after harvin forever, but the dallas game made him available at a decent value considering all of his issues

another scratch and dent floor special.  I do think this is a sign we are into phase 3 however. 

phase 1 = get rid of sanchez and holmes contracts and stockpile picks.  Check

phase 2 = get young.   oops, they all got cut

phase 3 = commit to veterans

For years we have been complaining about the way the Jets would keep their draft picks around so long, HOPING that they will someday get "it' (remember Rex going so far as to even have Gholston start a fight in practice?) pathetic. The idiot 2nd rounder from Boston College and perhaps one of the worst offensive linemen I have ever seen? They kept him around way too long too. I like what the Patriots have been doing all these years; if a guy sucks, then you cut him regardless of whether or not he is a draftee of yours or not. Forget about this "saving face" crapola that Tannenbaum always tried to employ. So you can either have it one way or the other; me, I like the new Jets way. I know it hurts and it looks really bad but there are more ways than one to build a team 

It is a plan.  I did not seen a plan from Tanny and Rex. They had a slew of veterans who could play when Rex got here and they carried a skittish QB through the playoffs.  After that, no plan.  Trading up for a stiff like Hill?  Kyle Wilson?  I know Milliner has been hurt a lot but I do not think it is fair to rate his progress at this point.  If he had been playing for a year and a half and sucked, fine.  And if you want to scream at them for picking a guy who turned out to be injury prone, fine.  But when they picked him everyone said he was the top corner int he draft and a lot of people on this site liked it. 

This to me is the definition of a panic move which circumstances happened to allow.

As the weeks go by it is becoming increasingly clear to everyone, fans and media alike that what has doomed the team this year is that their players are not good enough collectively to contend. This in spite of 20 million in cap space, and 12 draft picks, only 2 of which look like definite keepers. Idzik was feeling the heat, and he needed to do SOMETHING to make it look like he didn't deserve to be fired and the opportunity was there for a relatively low risk move (at this point I don't care if we give up picks because I have no confidence in the team using them right anyway).

What's interesting here is that this move might strike Bevell out of the running for HC in the off season if Rex is fired. According to Manish, Harvin was unhappy with his role in the offense, and it would make very little sense to force these two back together if there is the potential for drama carried over from Seattle.

This to me is the definition of a panic move which circumstances happened to allow.

As the weeks go by it is becoming increasingly clear to everyone, fans and media alike that what has doomed the team this year is that their players are not good enough collectively to contend. This in spite of 20 million in cap space, and 12 draft picks, only 2 of which look like definite keepers. Idzik was feeling the heat, and he needed to do SOMETHING to make it look like he didn't deserve to be fired and the opportunity was there for a relatively low risk move (at this point I don't care if we give up picks because I have no confidence in the team using them right anyway).

What's interesting here is that this move might strike Bevell out of the running for HC in the off season if Rex is fired. According to Manish, Harvin was unhappy with his role in the offense, and it would make very little sense to force these two back together if there is the potential for drama carried over from Seattle.

Because that's what Idzik looks like: a panicker.

I will not show you affection until you come to heel in the Coples thread.

I felt you weren't properly riled up as of late and proceeded to do so. I certainly agree that Coples would be better served with his hand in the dirt, that's quite hard to argue. Sheldon was too good of a selection to pass up and Coples was the odd man out.  I honestly think he's going to have a Bryan Thomas type of career, where he's bemoaned at his draft position, but will put up a decade of more than serviceable play.  He's nowhere near a top 10 OLB, but I also think he does create more mismatches and problems than he gets credit for.  It was half nice to see a positive article about a player you despise, half nice they used PFF and half always fun to mess with you.  How could I pass up 150% and sleep at night?

I felt you weren't properly riled up as of late and proceeded to do so. I certainly agree that Coples would be better served with his hand in the dirt, that's quite hard to argue. Sheldon was too good of a selection to pass up and Coples was the odd man out. I honestly think he's going to have a Bryan Thomas type of career, where he's bemoaned at his draft position, but will put up a decade of more than serviceable play. He's nowhere near a top 10 OLB, but I also think he does create more mismatches and problems than he gets credit for. It was half nice to see a positive article about a player you despise, half nice they used PFF and half always fun to mess with you. How could I pass up 150% and sleep at night?

This is fair

I actually like Morningweg. He's been our most creative OC. He wants to throw which clashes with Rex's ground and pound and on a good day is pretty potent. It's just there's no consistency in execution and we have no red zone option other than to just run or get a penalty. 

Okay so our starting corners are hurt and aren't going to be back ready till next season. Why not? Sign Morris Claiborne who Jerry Jones want to get rid of and save him for next season with Dee Milliner and Dex Mcdougle who ( i think will take kyle Wilson place next year) They all can gain chemistry by working hard looking forward to the next season. The only reason I wouldn't do this move is if John is waiting on Chris Harris Jr to hit free agency next year in 2015 but who knows if the Broncos will let him test the market!

Okay so our starting corners are hurt and aren't going to be back ready till next season. Why not? Sign Morris Claiborne who Jerry Jones want to get rid of and save him for next season with Dee Milliner and Dex Mcdougle who ( i think will take kyle Wilson place next year) They all can gain chemistry by working hard looking forward to the next season. The only reason I wouldn't do this move is if John is waiting on Chris Harris Jr to hit free agency next year in 2015 but who knows if the Broncos will let him test the market!

not a bad idea, but I think we wait till seasons end for reasons u mention in last sentence.

Might as well, maybe a 2nd or 3rd should do it. Let's just start collecting everyones bums/headaches for picks. It's proven that's how you build a winner, plus Jets will most likely draft bust anyway or let him walk if he does become a star. 

Might as well, maybe a 2nd or 3rd should do it. Let's just start collecting everyones bums/headaches for picks. It's proven that's how you build a winner, plus Jets will most likely draft bust anyway or let him walk if he does become a star.

2nd or 3rd?? Did u not see what the Jets paid for Percy? Both immature, but one is far more talented and "dynamic". Cowboys r down on Claiborne. He played like sh*t this yr. not sure we wanna trade for a guy on IR?

Archived