old school hip hop heads

JOJOTOWNSELL

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Pac.  

Really not close, IMO.  I feel like because he's often the de-facto or go-to answer in this debate, that people feel the need to get creative or think outside the box for arguments sake but he's the best that ever lived.  But to each his own.

Pac, Biggie, Rae, Rakim, Nas.

That would be my top 5. 

It's Rakim. He was the bridge between the true old school and the golden age of rap. His slower, methodical, more lyrical style was a major influence over all the other greats mentioned here, like Biggie, Nas, the Wu. Paid in Full is one of the most important and seminal works in hip hop.

And there's a reason that Large Professor jumped on Nas after coming up with Eric B and him.

For my old ass, Tupac and Biggie are not old school.

By today's standards they definitely are. There are only a very small handful of guys that rhyme like that anymore, and they are mostly all underground. It's just not the type of stuff the newer generation is trying to create, and those that are usually only get the attention of the 25 and up crowd.

I do question how well a lot of this new stuff is going to hold up. The thing about all those guys from the 90s is that their lasting power has been incredible, way stronger than I think any of us expected. I never thought I'd still be listening to Gang Starr on a regular basis into my 30s, but here I am. GZA and Rae spun stories that I still have trouble deciphering even as an adult, so it's engaging. I just don't see teenagers of today still listening to Drake or Wiz Khalifa, or trap music (all of which I despise) when they are grown ass men. Unless it's just for cheeky nostalgia, but who the **** wants that all the time?

I think it would be fun to do a pool for this.......who will go furthest type deal

1) who will advance furthest from wu tang clan?

2) which female rapper will advance the furthest?

3) what white rapper (besides eminem) will advance the furthest?

4) what fat rapper (besides biggie) will advance the furthest?

5) what west coast rapper (besides tupac) will advance the furthest?

6) who advances furthest from hit squad? (erick sermon, pad, reedman, das efx, kieth murray

7) which bad boy member advances the furthest besides biggie?

8) which native tongues member advances the furthest? (tribe, de la soul, jungle bros, queen latifah, black sheep, monie love, fu shnickens)

9) which nwa member advances the furthest??

10) which borough gets the most nominees?

9)whch

Not at all. If you are talking about who could formulate narratives the best, sure, Big probably takes that title. But hip hop is like any other genre, there are different styles and techniques. As incredible as he was, even if Biggie had been able to mature and hone his craft I doubt his wordplay would have ever been as strong as Rakim's or Em's. Hell, if you are looking for who has the best overall catalogue, you might have to actually give that title to Ghostface, but the problem is his best work has largely been entire albums of non-sequiturs. I don't know how you're supposed to compare a guy like that to Tupac or Big Pun.

I love you for saying this......been making this argument for years

Plus, best imposter blog. 

By today's standards they definitely are. There are only a very small handful of guys that rhyme like that anymore, and they are mostly all underground. It's just not the type of stuff the newer generation is trying to create, and those that are usually only get the attention of the 25 and up crowd.

I do question how well a lot of this new stuff is going to hold up. The thing about all those guys from the 90s is that their lasting power has been incredible, way stronger than I think any of us expected. I never thought I'd still be listening to Gang Starr on a regular basis into my 30s, but here I am. GZA and Rae spun stories that I still have trouble deciphering even as an adult, so it's engaging. I just don't see teenagers of today still listening to Drake or Wiz Khalifa, or trap music (all of which I despise) when they are grown ass men. Unless it's just for cheeky nostalgia, but who the **** wants that all the time?

There's nothing out there that interests me today, and I've given quite a bit of it a good try. I'm now literally the old man complaining about these damn kids, and I'm only 44. Growing up in the late 70's and early 80's was awesome. There was this new music that 90% of the country hated, and I couldn't get enough. Whodini, UTFO, LL, Run DMC- those guys were such a part of my teenage years, that maybe I just hold them in higher esteem than I should.

For me, The Chronic was the end of old school. I got away from hip hop in the 90's, so it's fun getting caught up on Wu and Tribe.

Rap began as storytelling, and the best ever at that was Slick Rick.

There's nothing out there that interests me today, and I've given quite a bit of it a good try. I'm now literally the old man complaining about these damn kids, and I'm only 44. Growing up in the late 70's and early 80's was awesome. There was this new music that 90% of the country hated, and I couldn't get enough. Whodini, UTFO, LL, Run DMC- those guys were such a part of my teenage years, that maybe I just hold them in higher esteem than I should.

For me, The Chronic was the end of old school. I got away from hip hop in the 90's, so it's fun getting caught up on Wu and Tribe.

Give Joey Bada$$ a try, or Has-Lo & Castle. And if you really wanna get nuts give Run the Jewels a whirl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVE6WF0wFa0

I'm a big fan of r.a. The rugged man.

RA the rugged man - Best Multi's:

Don't like the fat guy much. That's vinnie paz from jedi mind tricks and aotp. Ra is the truth though.

I'll take your word for it, I just thought it was a really funny doppleganger. :)

Seriously, I don't listen to much of this crap anymore, and when I do, I'm nostalgic, so I opt for really old school stuff. Stuff I raced home from school to see on Yo!

I've heard they are dope live, sadly they won't be down here. 

Seeing them for a 4th time next month. First time I saw them was when they had just started working together with Cancer 4 Cure and R.A.P. Rowdiest, most diverse hip hop shows you'll ever be at. Such a blast. I've seen pretty much every great group or emcee of the past 30 years or so live, and nobody gets a crowd going like these guys do.

Seeing them for a 4th time next month. First time I saw them was when they had just started working together with Cancer 4 Cure and R.A.P. Rowdiest, most diverse hip hop shows you'll ever be at. Such a blast. I've seen pretty much every great group or emcee of the past 30 years or so live, and nobody gets a crowd going like these guys do.

Hahaha seeing Mike jump and dance is worth the price of the ticket alone. I'm glad these guys are getting love, they are putting out very good music. 

http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2014/10/finding-the-goat-big-boi-vs-prodigywho-you-got/

this one made me go hmmmmmmmmm.......

Big Boi vs Prodigy

"to all the killers and the hundred dollar billers."

This is kinda easy, Big Boi/Outkast made some fun party music, but that southern flow style gets grating kinda quick. And they are like the hip hop version of your average decent metal guitarist, tons of speed and just enough technique but light on substance and devoid of soul.

Prodigy/Mobb Deep is another of those golden age groups that put out some lasting stuff. In my mind, Shook Ones is the quintessential NY hip hop song. When I play back the memories of my teenage years, from getting into the Palladium  for funkmaster flex nights, to bopping my head riding in a friend's hoopty looking to cause some kind of trouble, Shook Ones is the song that plays as the soundtrack to my memories. And it is the song that has to be in any movie dealing with NYC and hip hop or street life.

"to all the killers and the hundred dollar billers."

This is kinda easy, Big Boi/Outkast made some fun party music, but that southern flow style gets grating kinda quick. And they are like the hip hop version of your average decent metal guitarist, tons of speed and just enough technique but light on substance and devoid of soul.

I don't think you're listening close enough, big Mobb Deep fan, but they aren't touching Outkast. They were doing it when nobody was caring about the South, subject matter and production is/was classic too. 

However, Mobb on a Alchemist beat is as good as it get. 

Archived