old school hip hop heads

JOJOTOWNSELL

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:yawn:

What projects are you from again?

When I was born my parents lived on 161st and Park in the South Bronx.  Sure they got me the hell out of there when I was a couple months old and moved to upstate NY but it still left an impression..  plus I visited relatives who still lived there a couple times a year while growing up. 

When I was born my parents lived on 161st and Park in the South Bronx. Sure they got me the hell out of there when I was a couple months old and moved to upstate NY but it still left an impression.. plus I visited relatives who still lived there a couple times a year while growing up.

Lmfao

When I was born my parents lived on 161st and Park in the South Bronx.  Sure they got me the hell out of there when I was a couple months old and moved to upstate NY but it still left an impression..  plus I visited relatives who still lived there a couple times a year while growing up. 

The bold is quite possibly the most ridiculous sh*t I've ever seen you write.

I like underground music. Always have. I didn't realize being a white kid from the 'burbs meant I couldn't "relate" to Run's House.

Nothing like suburban white boys deciding who the best rapper of all time is.

A quick scan of this thread and I didn't see Q-Tip mentioned once.. 

You all lose.

it is in reference to a website pitting all these matchups. I don't know that they have posted a matchup with Tip yet.

The bold is quite possibly the most ridiculous sh*t I've ever seen you write.

I like underground music. Always have. I didn't realize being a white kid from the 'burbs meant I couldn't "relate" to Run's House.

Runs House?  lol...  deep underground homie..  like deeeep.

Runs House?  lol...  deep underground homie..  like deeeep.

I picked Run's House because it is the antithesis of the "prove you are more street than me" mentality that makes hip hop a clown show... that same mentality that you are trying to push here. 

I got my first Run DMC album when I was in 2nd grade. A girl I crushed on's older sister bought Raisin' Hell for and gave me a copy on cassette. That's about as underground as it gets within the means of a 7-8 year old, consider radio is playing Michael Jackson, Hall and Oates, Lionel Richie and Genesis. After that, my uncle's buddy from the Marines gave me a bootleg of the Krush Groove soundtrack that he got overseas. All I knew at the time was that I loved discovering something most people I knew never heard, and my parents never listened to on the radio. 

Please dropping your street knowledge on me though... I'm sure you are way more gangster now than I was at 8.

Agreed. Lets get back to the serious business of late 30 year olds with kids and dogs talking about hip hop.

Meh. If you want to pigeonhole people by race or class in a discussion about music in 2014, that is certainly your right; but it's really nothing more than self-serving, because all it does for anyone else is confirm you aren't worth the time.

Meh. If you want to pigeonhole people by race or class in a discussion about music in 2014, that is certainly your right; but it's really nothing more than self-serving, because all it does for anyone else is confirm you aren't worth the time.

lol..  Not sure I could have made it any more clear I was joking around but carry on.  I'm not worthy of this discussion.

but...but...but... you were born in SoBro!

boogie down Bronx pahtnah...  mess with me I'll peel your cap back yo!

EPMD were the godfathas of rap.

Incidentally I was born there and did spend much time there but I was clearly joking when using it as a justification for my rap knowledge prowess.

Agreed.  Lets get back to the serious business of late 30 year olds with kids and dogs talking about hip hop.

So, me.

lol..  Not sure I could have made it any more clear I was joking around but carry on.  I'm not worthy of this discussion.

Clear to me, which is why I slapped back. 

-gangsta-1312469477.jpg

Did they. Why the **** did I pre-order it then? **** it. They can have my money.

They put the first one out for free too. El demanded it for the second one when they signed with Nas' label. He doesn't use samples for these albums, so the only cost they have to make back is the studio time. Considering they are selling out now I'm guessing they make it back quickly.

I preordered one of the vinyl packages. Can't wait.

Archived