Pryor - BUST!?

aec4

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is absolutely zero chance that had the Jets taken Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix Jets fans would consider him a better choice than Pryor.  In fact, Hess' post is the first time I heard it suggested that he was ahead of Pryor at all.  This bust thread would have been out on week 2.  Six games in, they both start, have both flashed and both need some time.  Cooks at least was more of a need. 

There is absolutely zero chance that had the Jets taken Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix Jets fans would consider him a better choice than Pryor.  In fact, Hess' post is the first time I heard it suggested that he was ahead of Pryor at all.  This bust thread would have been out on week 2.  Six games in, they both start, have both flashed and both need some time.  Cooks at least was more of a need. 

Makes little difference to the overall point, which is to use the 18th pick of the draft on a on dimensional Safety is just flat out stupid. The Jet could have traded out, collected more picks and gotten the same kind of player later in the draft, and I actually like Pryor, but he was over drafted by at least two rounds.  

Makes little difference to the overall point, which is to use the 18th pick of the draft on a on dimensional Safety is just flat out stupid. The Jet could have traded out, collected more picks and gotten the same kind of player later in the draft, and I actually like Pryor, but he was over drafted by at least two rounds.  

YES my point exactly...totally agree...he is one dimensional a pure run support safety and nothing more.  Deone Buchanon fit the Jets safety needs much better -or Jason Verritt at cb  or Jones at OT, I didnt like Cooks - dont feel he was a fit for the Jets...Benjamin paired with Decker would have been awesome. 

YES my point exactly...totally agree...he is one dimensional a pure run support safety and nothing more.  Deone Buchanon fit the Jets safety needs much better -or Jason Verritt at cb  or Jones at OT, I didnt like Cooks - dont feel he was a fit for the Jets...Benjamin paired with Decker would have been awesome. 

Two rounds?  I don't think many had him out of the top 20, let alone the first round but YOU TWO ARE TOTAL AGREEMENT!  Kudos!

Two rounds?  I don't think many had him out of the top 20, let alone the first round but YOU TWO ARE TOTAL AGREEMENT!  Kudos!

Again, I am not saying Pryor has no future, I just firmly believe he is a poor fit for the Jets D scheme...Kinda like E-Mac was superman under Bud Carson and Ralph Hawkins, he was a disaster under Pete Carroll cause Carroll wanted him to provide run support and E Mac didnt like to tackle.  Ha Ha is an EMAC type safety....Pryor is  like a Pollard or Eric Smith.

If the JETS had taken Haha the fans would have labeled him a bust just based on his first game performance if he performed the exact same as he did against the Seahawks.

Cooks is a slot receiver and a slot receiver was not a need.

Again, I am not saying Pryor has no future, I just firmly believe he is a poor fit for the Jets D scheme...Kinda like E-Mac was superman under Bud Carson and Ralph Hawkins, he was a disaster under Pete Carroll cause Carroll wanted him to provide run support and E Mac didnt like to tackle.  Ha Ha is an EMAC type safety....Pryor is  like a Pollard or Eric Smith.

1.  Being a poor fit for the scheme is a far cry from being a third round or later talent.  Simply put, nobody, not one draftnik had him falling anywhere near that low. 

2.  I don't see how you think an in the box safety is a poor scheme fit.  We have all wanted a centerfielder here, but Rex simply does not seem to value them.  He went out and got Leonhard, who played up, the Landrys and Bell.  They drafted Allen and picked up Jarrett.  I guess maybe you could claim they hoped Bush would fit that mold.  Smith stuck around damn near forever while they quickly moved Lowery and Rhodes. I guess them picking up Reed last year might make people think he liked centerfielders, but I have called for one for ages and saw no sign Rex wanted one. 

3.  Idzik does not seem particularly concerned with Ryan's scheme.  IMO if he did he would have gotten some cover corners and not an injury prone 3rd round reach and an injury prone 10th year journeyman. I think Idzik is trying to get the team faster and more athletic and I don't think he particularly cares what scheme they fit.  

Pryor while inconsistent has made a few good plays every game. I'm not so sure why people are so down on him? He's doing very okay for a rookie. If you want to say that safety isn't a first round position especially when a team has so many holes. I can see where you're coming from.

Calvin Pryor is a solid player and has tremendous potential .. you can't call a player a bust off of their rookie season because if that is the case Peyton manning(-arguably the quarterback in the history of the NFL-) is a complete bust because his rookie season he threw 28 interception had the worst quarterback rating and led his team to a 3-13 record so calm down guys let Calvin play and let's evaluate him mid season next year

Pryor looks like he has no ball skills and can only play going forward towards the line. 

When the Jets move to a 4-3 next season Pryor should transition to weak side LB like Urlacher did in Chicago.   LB seems like a better fit than safety for him. 

Pryor is way too small for that.

1.  Being a poor fit for the scheme is a far cry from being a third round or later talent.  Simply put, nobody, not one draftnik had him falling anywhere near that low. 

2.  I don't see how you think an in the box safety is a poor scheme fit.  We have all wanted a centerfielder here, but Rex simply does not seem to value them.  He went out and got Leonhard, who played up, the Landrys and Bell.  They drafted Allen and picked up Jarrett.  I guess maybe you could claim they hoped Bush would fit that mold.  Smith stuck around damn near forever while they quickly moved Lowery and Rhodes. I guess them picking up Reed last year might make people think he liked centerfielders, but I have called for one for ages and saw no sign Rex wanted one. 

3.  Idzik does not seem particularly concerned with Ryan's scheme.  IMO if he did he would have gotten some cover corners and not an injury prone 3rd round reach and an injury prone 10th year journeyman. I think Idzik is trying to get the team faster and more athletic and I don't think he particularly cares what scheme they fit.  

Curious for your thoughts on McDougle, beyond the injury prone reach part.

Pryor is way too small for that.

+1 

He's not moving to LB.

Big hitter in college. We haven't seen that once in the regular season of the league. One preseason hit means nothing.

I think we've seen him smack a few guys, just nothing huge.  He seems like he brings lumber when he comes up.

Curious for your thoughts on McDougle, beyond the injury prone reach part.

I didn't see much of McDougle.  Everything I read seemed good.  He looked good to me (very good for a 3rd rounder) but it was awful early.  Like Saunders and Patterson, this was a spot where it seemed like Idzik was trying to outsmart everybody and I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.  

It's hard to evaluate mcdougle especially when you tear your ACL your senior season at Maryland and the tear your ACL in tranning camp of your rookie season .. great job idzik you sure know how to pick em

He didn't tear his ACL at Maryland, he had shoulder surgery.  I agree that it is hard to evaluate the pick at this point, but there is no reason to kill Idzik for making this pick, it may be the best of this draft.  The reason to kill Idzik is for hitting on a 3rd round CB being a **need**

I like this, and I think it's true, and it's partially why I like Idzik. This is a versatile (if thin) roster right now, and the players on it don't have to be pigeon-holed into any particular scheme. I wonder if that's why Idzik has avoided going after OLB's and corners up until now (and QB this past draft), with the idea being that he'll let the next HC dictate what type of athlete he needs at those spots.

I like this, and I think it's true, and it's partially why I like Idzik. This is a versatile (if thin) roster right now, and the players on it don't have to be pigeon-holed into any particular scheme. I wonder if that's why Idzik has avoided going after OLB's and corners up until now (and QB this past draft), with the idea being that he'll let the next HC dictate what type of athlete he needs at those spots.

Yeah.  I didn't mind it so much last year, but this year he seems to have gone out of his way to not provide what Rex wants/needs at CB.  I find it difficult to support him much when I look at what he invested in the O.   The team was solid at RB and he invested $ in Johnson and Vick when WR was a desperate need.  FWIW, he has added a bunch of low-tier LB.  Last year he signed Barnes (that was a cheap Rex connection) and drafted Reilly and IK.  A 6th and 7th may not seem like much investment, but it is pretty close to what he invested at WR2.

IMO, waiting on a QB is stupid.  If you think one is there you pounce.  They are not there that often and there is too much bust potential.  I can accept that he didn't love what was left and felt one could be had later and I am willing to blame Boyd on Rex, bu tnot the emphasis on defense in last two drafts. 

As for Pryor, his major failing so far has been taking awful angles to the ball. That's coachable, I think. The whole team looks like it isn't being coached. 

I don't think his angles have been so awful.  Not optimal, but not awful.  I don't really think that is coaching at all.  The angle is instinct and experience.  It takes time to learn the speed of NFL players.  It is probably exacerbated by the reduced practice schedules and practicing against Nelson and Salas all week. 

+1

He's not moving to LB.

I think we've seen him smack a few guys, just nothing huge. He seems like he brings lumber when he comes up.

I didn't see much of McDougle. Everything I read seemed good. He looked good to me (very good for a 3rd rounder) but it was awful early. Like Saunders and Patterson, this was a spot where it seemed like Idzik was trying to outsmart everybody and I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

He didn't tear his ACL at Maryland, he had shoulder surgery. I agree that it is hard to evaluate the pick at this point, but there is no reason to kill Idzik for making this pick, it may be the best of this draft. The reason to kill Idzik is for hitting on a 3rd round CB being a **need**

Mcdougle and milliner are both in the same boat they both suck and couldnt stay healthy if there bones were made out of metal .. there soft as sh*t and 2 weak a.s.s replacements for cromartie and revis

• 1 year later...

We could have had a pretty good corner in that position too.  While we didn't have the best safeties in the league, we were OK there, but we drafted another.  I thought Pryor would be OK, but he looks awful in coverage and he's always late to the party.

With a year and some days after your statement above, what do you think today? 

I think that we had the worst group of coaches ever. 

Pryor is looking decent and improving each game it seems.  Villains comment about coaches is something that has been understated our group of assistants under rex have mostly been horrific.  When I head that Rex was bringing in almost all of his buddy assistants Buffalos fate was sealed.

Archived