2014-2015 New York Knicks

Jetlife33

Aldridge's meeting with LA sounds exactly like what Walsh did with Lebron. They wheeled out a PowerPoint and tried selling him on sponsorship opportunities if he played in LA. Only thing missing was the ******* wheelchair.

Did you see Kobe's tweet? He's going to be the all-time GOAT studio analyst if he wants it. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I avoided Statistics when I was in school. I couldn't work with abstraction at all. Truth be told, I probably have a smidge of undiagnosed autism. I don't know if that's causation or what.

The problem is FO blew the doors open for everything, so now you get guys who put sh*t models out there and everyone takes it as gospel because regression works for football and this other model's R2 checked out so therefore the work must be good. That's not how it works. Regression is not something that is unconditionally applicable, in theory nor in practice. I could start listing all of the reasons why for the next several pages, which would be great because I actually loathe what I'm working on right now, but that would mean that SMC and Detroit would stop arguing with each other and then we'd all lose.

Aldridge's meeting with LA sounds exactly like what Walsh did with Lebron. They wheeled out a PowerPoint and tried selling him on sponsorship opportunities if he played in LA. Only thing missing was the ******* wheelchair.

LaMarcus Aldridge felt that the Lakers' presentation focused too much on the off-the-court amenities of life in L.A. and not enough on basketball, a source told ESPN.

LaMarcus Aldridge felt that the Lakers' presentation focused too much on the off-the-court amenities of life in L.A. and not enough on basketball, a source told ESPN.

The way Kobe treated Dwight Howard in LA a couple years ago may be scaring free agents away.  "You'll be my new Pau Gasol" -- Aldridge is a way better player.  Kobe still has the same attitude without the ability.

Suns just got Tyson Chandler and they're in the running for Aldridge.  Wow if they get both.

For context, this is the stat that has Lebron 13th. Behind Jimmy Butler and Rudy Gobert. Using regression on basketball is so fundamentally flawed and stupid.

Right. The same stupid-ass ******* argument Chan made about Damon Huard's DVOA. It doesn't 'have' him anywhere. It tells you what he produced this year. That sh*t happened. Stats aren't rankings. Is every guy who hit a home run in a game where Bonds didn't a better home run hitter than he is?

I avoided Statistics when I was in school. I couldn't work with abstraction at all. Truth be told, I probably have a smidge of undiagnosed autism. I don't know if that's causation or what. 

Tireless masturbation is not a diagnostic factor no matter how repetitive of a behavior it is for you, Thomas. 

The problem is FO blew the doors open for everything, so now you get guys who put sh*t models out there and everyone takes it as gospel because regression works for football and this other model's R2 checked out so therefore the work must be good. That's not how it works. Regression is not something that is unconditionally applicable, in theory nor in practice. I could start listing all of the reasons why for the next several pages, which would be great because I actually loathe what I'm working on right now, but that would mean that SMC and Detroit would stop arguing with each other and then we'd all lose.

This is astonishingly wrong. Basketball stats explain current outcomes better and are more consistent over time than football by like an order of magnitude.

Right. The same stupid-ass ******* argument Chan made about Damon Huard's DVOA. It doesn't 'have' him anywhere. It tells you what he produced this year. That sh*t happened. Stats aren't rankings. Is every guy who hit a home run in a game where Bonds didn't a better home run hitter than he is?

Not sure what you're getting at here. You use them as a comparative tool. The numbers are compiled comparatively. Regression by it's very nature is comparative. Truth of the matter is that this is a number you like because it says what you want. It's a bad model, and if I walked into a room and presented a model with the level of anomalies that they have and wasn't able to explain them like they can't, I'd be laughed out of the room.

This is astonishingly wrong. Basketball stats explain current outcomes better and are more consistent over time than football by like an order of magnitude.

This is astonishingly wrong. Your assessment of the methodology is way off and regression is infinitely more useful for a congested activity like football than it is a naked one like basketball.

Not sure what you're getting at here. You use them as a comparative tool. The numbers are compiled comparatively. Regression by it's very nature is comparative. Truth of the matter is that this is a number you like because it says what you want. It's a bad model, and if I walked into a room and presented a model with the level of anomalies that they have and wasn't able to explain them like they can't, I'd be laughed out of the room.

Not saying what you want it to about Basketball Sanchez isn't an anomaly. It just means you're wrong.

Jackson will take the hit for this in the media but the reality is none of these guys want anything to do with Carmelo….the guy is literally everything thats wrong with todays athlete all wrapped up in one . If you froze him like demolition man and presented him to the future 200 years from now you could use him to teach people what was wrong with the Y2K athlete.

McDermott or Christie? Maybe Macarthur? Adams? Look the point here is that anyone named Doug is probably the bee's knees.

Wish it was the latter, then maybe he could give me a concrete definition to 42.  Was it Jackie Robinson, was he the meaning of life? Or was it Mo? It's Mo wasn't it. Yea, it's Mo.  

So I'm guessing Monroe left without a deal because we're holding out hope for Jordan. Which means we're losing out on both and our starting front court is gonna be Melo, Bismack Biyombo, and Parsnips Bazingas. Affalo and Calderon rounding out the guards and it looks like we handed Toronto next year's #1 overall.

You guys won that Aaron Afflalo sweepstakes. Must be the best day in Knickland since you pulled off that Shandon Anderson heist.

LOL, you got Brooks for $60 mill and you're complaining about Affalo at $16?  Heck, Nets are capped out again with signing Brooks and Young.

And, thankfully, Monroe is signing elsewhere, specifically the Bucs.

Archived