Parcells Reveals Details of Split With Lil Bill

flgreen

EDIT: Here is a link to a video interview with Bill Parcells.  http://web.yesnetwork.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=36819453&topic_id=&tcid=vpp_copy_36819453&v=3

Bill Parcells reveals details of split with Bill Belichick in new memoir 'Parcells': SI excerpt

The details of Belichick's betrayal of his mentor appears this week in a Sports Illustrated excerpt of Parcell's book, co-written with former Daily News writer Nunyo Demasio.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, October 15, 2014, 12:18 PM
  • A
  •  
  • A
  •  
  • A

belichick-resigns.jpgJOHN T. GREILICK/AP

Bill Belichick (c.) is Bill Parcell's hand-picked successor to take over the Jets.

Big Bill knows where Little Bill's bodies are buried.

Legendary coach Bill Parcells calls it like he sees it in a new memoir, at least when it comes to his protégé Bill Belichick's wiggling out of a New York Jets contract 14 years ago in order to traipse up I-95 and build his Patriot dynasty.

"He made a deal and then tried to get out of it," Parcells recalls of his former defensive coordinator. "A deal's a deal. You want out? You're going to pay. Simple."

Parcells dishes on the palace intrigue that swirled around two of the NFL's most revered coaches in "Parcells," due out Oct. 28. The details of Belichick's betrayal of his mentor appears this week in a Sports Illustrated excerpt of Parcell's book, co-written with former Daily News writer Nunyo Demasio.

Belichick's loyalists within the Jets front office are called the "Cleveland Mafia." Fans familiar with his famous public reticence may feel disoriented reading about Belichick's nervous chattering in the hours and minutes leading up to his famous farewell.

“I have decided to resign as the HC of the NYJ,” Belichick’s handwritten, three-sentence resignation letter said. It was thrust into a “stunned and angry” Jets’ president Steve Gutman’s hands, minutes before Belichick gave a 25-minute statement to the media, his voice occasionally cracking and sweat beading his forehead.

In the legal aftermath of the contractual break, Jets offensive coordinator Charlie Weis lobbied hard for Belichick’s job, the book says. “I can do this job, I’m your guy,” Weis told Parcells. However, Weis then testified on Belichick’s behalf during the grievance hearing over whether Belichick could be interviewed for other jobs, basically betraying Parcells, who would ban Weis from the premises the day after the testimony.

jet-coach-resigns.jpgJOHN ROCA/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Bill Belichick announces his resignation as Jets HC which paves the way for Bill Parcell's former defensive coordinator to build the Patriots into a dynasty.

“Charlie, you need to get your s--- and leave the building,” Parcells told Weis, who would eventually end up with Belichick in New England.

According to the book, Parcells strikes a conciliatory tone about the incident with Weis.

"I've told many coaches that friendship and loyalty is going to be more important than ambition. Some guys don't realize that until after they're done,” Parcells says in the book. “I don't bear animosity toward Charlie. I can say that with a straight face because I know what he is. His actions back then don't bother me anymore."

jets-broncos-3.jpgCATAFFO, LINDABill Parcells (c.) would eventually negotiate with New England to allow Bill Belichick to take over the Patriots.

To be fair, it is noted that amid January's "surreal switcheroo," Belichick was arguably exercising common sense. The Jets were in ownership limbo less than a year after the death of longtime owner Leon Hess, and were weighing competing bids from Cablevision founder Charles Dolan and Johnson and Johnson heir Woody Johnson.

Hess, whose gas station business had given the Jets their colors, had negotiated Belichick's contract to ensure Belichick would take the throne from Parcells.

"Belichick was apparently drawn to the possibility of being a GM or a head coach under a familiar owner like Robert Kraft, as opposed to working for a neophyte owner like Johnson or Dolan with Parcells hovering in an unclear position of authority," the book notes.

But there's nothing unclear about it now that Parcells has a pen in his hand.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old school a deal is a deal.....

Really? I bet Parcell's book doesn't cover the part where he a was under contract to the Patriots while fielding offers from the Jets front office during the Patriots Super Bowl weekend? I bet he doesn't mention the tampering charges against the Jets, the phone records of the calls to and from the Jets headquarters on his Patriot issued phone? I bet he doesn't mention the NFL commissioner stepping in and negotiating a boat load of draft picks to the Patriots so they would release his contract rights and drop the tampering charges against the Jets? That hypocrite can GFH, and the Jets got what they deserved.

Really? I bet Parcell's book doesn't cover the part where he a was under contract to the Patriots while fielding offers from the Jets front office during the Patriots Super Bowl weekend? I bet he doesn't mention the tampering charges against the Jets, the phone records of the calls to and from the Jets headquarters on his Patriot issued phone? I bet he doesn't mention the NFL commissioner stepping in and negotiating a boat load of draft picks to the Patriots so they would release his contract rights and drop the tampering charges against the Jets? That hypocrite can GFH, and the Jets got what they deserved.

Thanks for your unbiased upon. We appreciate the history lesson.

Facts aren't opinions, and those are the facts.

So we should forget about the spygate facts and get our panties in a wad over some telephone calls that Parcells made from his hotel room after practice?

So we should forget about the spygate facts and get our panties in a wad over some telephone calls that Parcells made from his hotel room after practice?

The NFL was very concerned with the Jets tampering of another teams coach, but more over it shows what hypocrite and egomaniacal douche Bill Parcell's is.

Hess, whose gas station business had given the Jets their colors, had negotiated Belichick's contract to ensure Belichick would take the throne from Parcells.

Ummmm.... no. The Jets got their colors because Sonny Werblin (who named them the Jets) was born on St. Patrick's Day. 

The author needs to do better research. 

The NFL was very concerned with the Jets tampering of another teams coach, but more over it shows what hypocrite and egomaniacal douche Bill Parcell's is.

Right, but not so concerned with stealing Super Bowls...those are facts.

As opposed to when the Pats went after Lil' Bill?  They are both hypocrites and egomaniacal douches.

Everyone pulled a douche move and I can't blame any of them. Knowing what we know now, who the **** would want to work for Woody Johnson if you have other options?

I honestly believe this is the beginning of the end.  Woody should have been strong and given Parcells and ultimatum.  Offer him a specified role and he either takes it or is out.  Instead, he kept him on and let Parcells act as "advisor"  which meant nobody would feel autonomous.  They all had that fat under the belt belly shadow cast over them.  

Ummmm.... no. The Jets got their colors because Sonny Werblin (who named them the Jets) was born on St. Patrick's Day. 

The author needs to do better research. 

I think they are all urban legends.  Hess was on the syndicate that bought in with Werblin.  I had always heard that Werblin changed them to the color of money. 

As opposed to when the Pats went after Lil' Bill?  They are both hypocrites and egomaniacal douches.

I honestly believe this is the beginning of the end.  Woody should have been strong and given Parcells and ultimatum.  Offer him a specified role and he either takes it or is out.  Instead, he kept him on and let Parcells act as "advisor"  which meant nobody would feel autonomous.  They all had that fat under the belt belly shadow cast over them.  

I think they are all urban legends.  Hess was on the syndicate that bought in with Werblin.  I had always heard that Werblin changed them to the color of money. 

It's man's birthday - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Werblin - March 17, 1910.

:indifferent0023:  :indifferent0023: :indifferent0023:  :baby:  

Great job of proving my point...you're butthurt over the facts of a phone call, but facts that prove long-term cheating are to be ignored.  So shocking to see that coming from you.

You don't think this happens all the time?

Are you that naive?

I can't disagree with this, but isn't Belichick the EXACT SAME hypocrite and egomanical douche?

Sure he is, never said he wasn't, I would guess that most great coaches aren't people you would want to have a beer with. Some Jets fans however like to re-write history and think there franchise is squeaky clean, when it was the Jets that started the border war.

chapter 6

Yeah, because if there was one thing that Belichick proved in Cleveland, it's that he was one hell of a franchise-builder.

Archived