David Nelson- Why Is He On The Team?

win4ever

Why is this guy on the team?  

He has 7 catches for 54 yards on the season.  He has no speed or elusiveness.  Obviously hasn't helped much in the red zone for us.  I know he's done some good things with his charity, but this guy is useless for us.  I'm tired of him running out there only to be taken out by a linebacker because he can't outrun them.   Today in the end zone, they looked towards him and ofcourse he's covered like a blanket by a LB one on one.  He does absolutely nothing in terms of the passing game.  Heck, I rather have Stephen Hill than this guy.  

Can we atleast sign someone like Brandon Coleman, someone young with an iota of potential than hold onto Nelson for no good reason?

He actually looked useful for some games last year and Geno seemed to develop a rapport with him.  This year whatever developed between he and Geno seems to have disappeared.

Coming into the year, I thought he would be decent, sort of like Plaxico was that one year with us, where he wouldn't be that useful in the middle of the field, but help us out in the red zone, but he hasn't looked the same at all.   Maybe it's Decker being out for a long period, but I don't ever really see the guy even have separation.  Almost all his catches and targets are with the guy right on him, an inch away from an interception.  

At this point, our season is toast, we're not winning 10 in a row to get into the playoffs, so we might as well try and develop a couple of WRs.  Maybe promote Enunwa from the PS, and try to poach some young talent from other team's PS.  Even the best case scenario with Nelson is that he becomes a #4 type WR in the future, because he just doesn't have the speed anymore.  I hate wasting spots on guys that have no real upside, rather crash and burn by taking some risks than assuring a losing outcome.  

I have to agree, of the two guys vying for the #2WR Salas shouldn't be a starter either but seems to have a knack for making a play now and then.  I'd like to see him on the team, but not as starter.  Nelson, it's hard to see what kind of good he is going to do us.

I have to agree, of the two guys vying for the #2WR Salas shouldn't be a starter either but seems to have a knack for making a play now and then.  I'd like to see him on the team, but not as starter.  Nelson, it's hard to see what kind of good he is going to do us.

I just want someone that has upside, but is pretty raw.  Even someone that may need a second chance.  I think someone like Coleman could be an option, even Da'rick Rogers would be a decent poke in the dark at this point.  Neither are really going to outproduce Nelson this year, but it can't be much worse, and I'd rather see if we can work with them and get something with potential.  I just feel like every game that I watch, I see the same thing.  Decker out there as a good WR, and everyone else being mediocre.  Kerley seems to have regressed this year somehow, and Nelson can't separate at all.   Can Enunwa be all that worse than Nelson? Rogers? Coleman?  Atleast I can hang my hat on watching them maybe develop into a No 3 or 4 type.  Or crash and burn, but anything is better than the stalemate that goes on right now.  

Because Stephen Hill was the worse.

At this point, I'll take Hill over Nelson.  Atleast he could scare the defense into putting a corner on him or maybe have the safety move over.  Any throw to Nelson is essentially a contested pass, and almost always he doesn't catch it, gets up, looks at the ref and then walks to the sideline.  Not to mention his fumbling problems as well early in the year.  

He's been playing hurt most of the year.

That could be the case, but we might as well move on to other prospects and let someone develop.  He's not going to help much this year, and if he has a significant role next year, then we are in trouble anyway. 

Because the GM couldn't hit on a single WR in a deep WR draft?

If Enunwa is showing anything in practice, he should be promoted just 'cause. They need something else at WR besides Decker and Kerley.

Also, the QB isn't very good.

Why is this guy on the team?  

He has 7 catches for 54 yards on the season.  He has no speed or elusiveness.  Obviously hasn't helped much in the red zone for us.  I know he's done some good things with his charity, but this guy is useless for us.  I'm tired of him running out there only to be taken out by a linebacker because he can't outrun them.   Today in the end zone, they looked towards him and ofcourse he's covered like a blanket by a LB one on one.  He does absolutely nothing in terms of the passing game.  Heck, I rather have Stephen Hill than this guy.  

Can we atleast sign someone like Brandon Coleman, someone young with an iota of potential than hold onto Nelson for no good reason?

He also possesses no physical courage not he field

Because the GM couldn't hit on a single WR in a deep WR draft?

If Enunwa is showing anything in practice, he should be promoted just 'cause. They need something else at WR besides Decker and Kerley.

Also, the QB isn't very good.

yes, the draft was awful by Idzik concerning the WR's.  other teams have such good luck with WR position, the Jets are cursed.  BTW, can our special teams coord. find a guy to field a punt.   Walt Powell had 1 good runback on a KR-- other than that he has been amateurish.     You think Belacheat would trust him...?   come on guys,

Stephen Hill should not have been cut yet.

That's why.

I know he was a bust, and everyone hated him, but he was still a vastly better prospect than either Nelson or Salas.

So who made that call, I have to wonder.....MM, or Idzik.  Money wasn't a factor, nor was roster spots given how bad all the drafted WR's were, so why cut bait so quickly if the guys behind are so sadly pathetic?

Other names you could substitute for Nelson in the Title:

Quigley

Wilson

W. Powell

Sudfeld

Guys to complain about:

• The 2nd ranked punter in the NFL
  • The guy that returned a kick 62 yards, setting us up for a short FG drive.
  • The guy that made at least 3 special teams tackles and played pretty well at CB.

Thanks Idzik.

Stephen Hill should not have been cut yet.

That's why.

I know he was a bust, and everyone hated him, but he was still a vastly better prospect than either Nelson or Salas.

So who made that call, I have to wonder.....MM, or Idzik.  Money wasn't a factor, nor was roster spots given how bad all the drafted WR's were, so why cut bait so quickly if the guys behind are so sadly pathetic?

If Stephen Hill was so great where is he playing now?

I agree Nelson is not a great WR, he is kind of slow but at least he can catch some of the balls thrown his way. 

Salas could be a real good WR if he is used the right way.  He is not the kind of guy who is going to run by people with deep passes but he is great wtih the underneath stuff where he can get some YAC. He needs to be used more in the slot on quick slants, outs, button hooks, drags, and screens. He should also be returning kicks and punts.

To me the OC is not playing people to their strenths.

If Stephen Hill was so great where is he playing now?

I agree Nelson is not a great WR, he is kind of slow but at least he can catch some of the balls thrown his way. 

Salas could be a real good WR if he is used the right way.  He is not the kind of guy who is going to run by people with deep passes but he is great wtih the underneath stuff where he can get some YAC. He needs to be used more in the slot on quick slants, outs, button hooks, drags, and screens. He should also be returning kicks and punts.

To me the OC is not playing people to their strenths.

Be assured S. Hill was not "so great" in ANY form, he was an absolute bust.

With that said, that Bust has more talent and skills than anyone on our WR roster not named "Decker" or "Kerley".

People all offseason kept telling me Nelson and Salas were great, break-out players who would show the wisdom of cutting Hill early. I'm not seeing it.

Hill was a bust, and Nelson and Salas as just JAG's. And all suffer(ed) from having a bad QB throwing to them in Smith.

/shrug. This is like debating which way was the best way to die on the Titanic, drowning, freezing or crushed by debris. All works out the same in the end.

Be assured S. Hill was not "so great" in ANY form, he was an absolute bust.

With that said, that Bust has more talent and skills than anyone on our WR roster not named "Decker" or "Kerley".

People all offseason kept telling me Nelson and Salas were great, break-out players who would show the wisdom of cutting Hill early. I'm not seeing it.

Hill was a bust, and Nelson and Salas as just JAG's. And all suffer(ed) from having a bad QB throwing to them in Smith.

/shrug. This is like debating which way was the best way to die on the Titanic, drowning, freezing or crushed by debris. All works out the same in the end.

I am a Kerley and Salas fan.  I think Salas is just as good as Kerley in the slot. They are the same type of players, Salas is bigger, and I think a little faster. Kerley might be a little quicker. I don't have their combine numbers in front of me to verify that but I do know Salas was drafted before Kerley.

Either way I would say Salas has out performed Kerley this year.  I don't remember Kerley doing anything in these last 4 games.

I am a Kerley and Salas fan.  I think Salas is just as good as Kerley in the slot. They are the same type of players, Salas is bigger, and I think a little faster. Kerley might be a little quicker. I don't have their combine numbers in front of me to verify that but I do know Salas was drafted before Kerley.

Either way I would say Salas has out performed Kerley this year.  I don't remember Kerley doing anything in these last 4 games.

? Kerley had a nice game last night. You seem to be forgetting the huge TDs that he caught that were called back - GB and last night. Kerley has considerably more production than Salas this year.  Sure Salas has had excellent ypc, but he only has 8 catches.  They probably would be working with Salas more if he weren't always hurt, his hand was in a cast on Wednesday which is probably why we didn't see him last night.  The problem with these guys is that without Decker they are drawing Revis and none of them are getting open then. 

TJ Graham was getting targets last night, is this a serious question?

To be honest, I'd rather see TJ Graham than Nelson, atleast Graham has one skill that can scare people and hope to be developed.  I think in a general sense, Nelson is better than Graham, but we are at this point a rebuilding team, and I think we need to look into guys that can grow with the team next year and offer some potential, and churn through the lists of players available.  

I'd take Rogers/Coleman over pretty much anyone not named Kerley/Decker (and now Harvin) on this roster because we need to see what we can do to improve the talent level.  I really doubt Nelson is going to start improving next year or any better than what he was last year, and I think that makes our offense stagnant.  

To be honest, I'd rather see TJ Graham than Nelson, atleast Graham has one skill that can scare people and hope to be developed.  I think in a general sense, Nelson is better than Graham, but we are at this point a rebuilding team, and I think we need to look into guys that can grow with the team next year and offer some potential, and churn through the lists of players available.  

I'd take Rogers/Coleman over pretty much anyone not named Kerley/Decker (and now Harvin) on this roster because we need to see what we can do to improve the talent level.  I really doubt Nelson is going to start improving next year or any better than what he was last year, and I think that makes our offense stagnant.  

Fair points!

Based on how he did last season without the benefit of a training camp coming into this season i thought we had see more. But he has been underwhelming this season.

Archived