Potential QB Replacements - 2015 Draft

Latinlawyer

I know everyone will talk about his maturity, but I think Winston could be a good pick up since he is not expected to go in top ten as of right now.

If Winston's stock falls because of his off field issues he will stay in school, and rebuild his rep, and if he stays clean, proves he matured then will be the top pick the following season, and this is what I expect to happen with him, go back to school next year.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about opening up the pocjet book, and sign Randall Cobb, draft a a 2nd round WR, or better yet, trade back into the first round to get a difference maker.

So Mariotta throwing to Decker, Kerley, Cobb, Amaro, and drafted WR. Pretty sure that's more than enough for any QB. Now the O-line that's a different animal, hopefully Aboushi, and Dozier turn out to be good, and then we will just have to replace Dbrick, and live with Mangold for another year, or two until we draft, and develop his replacement.

Geno just isn't any good. Regardless of the OL and WR positions. He is terribly inaccurate, and constantly makes bad decisions.

I'd much rather draft a WR.  I don't agree that Geno is even mediocre but the I'd make the point that our WR group is still the worst in the league even with Decker.  Maybe Amaro will develop an ability to catch wide open passes at his chest but even then we need another WR or two.

What came first the chicken or the egg?  What good would Rice be on the Jets when Geno goes through his interception spells

Geno just isn't any good. Regardless of the OL and WR positions. He is terribly inaccurate, and constantly makes bad decisions.

If I see Geno as the QB next year I will puke! I was responding to the post who said who will Mariota throw to if we drafted him.

Sorry to hear that.  Have you seen him play much Monster?  I've only seen him once this year, think it was against Ari St.  And only part of the game, was in a restaurant with my wife.  Thought he looked great.

I'll have to watch a few of his games.  Why do you think he sucks so much?  

He is an athlete, not a QB.  As of now, his fundamental QB skills have not improved.  Reads and reaction are slow (as in mentally slow). Watch and you will see.

We go to UCLA games a few times a year with friends who are alums  - pre games are the highlight.  Good fun.

How about opening up the pocjet book, and sign Randall Cobb, draft a a 2nd round WR, or better yet, trade back into the first round to get a difference maker.

So Mariotta throwing to Decker, Kerley, Cobb, Amaro, and drafted WR. Pretty sure that's more than enough for any QB. Now the O-line that's a different animal, hopefully Aboushi, and Dozier turn out to be good, and then we will just have to replace Dbrick, and live with Mangold for another year, or two until we draft, and develop his replacement.

That's a great plan but my point is I think it could work with Geno. 

When did everyone start giving up on QB's before they've played a year and a half??  1/2 the great QB's from the 80s and 90s would have been booted from the league or relegated to career backups in todays NFL.

I wouldn't be mad if we brought in a guy like Hoyer or even Sam Bradford and letting them compete with Geno for the starting job.  The key would be however, to have a real QB competition and let the best man win (unlike this year) then go get a another WR, Crabtree's a free agent next year would love to bring him in.  As well s bringing in a good solid CB and using the draft to rebuild the o-line.

What came first the chicken or the egg?  What good would Rice be on the Jets when Geno goes through his interception spells

What good would any WRs be with the next EJ Manuel, Mark Sanchez, etc throwing the ball to them?

You can't just draft a QB high for the sake of drafting one high. I don't disagree about Geno, I just don't think any of the top guys are the guy.

Hundley really and truly sucks ass.  He has not improved one iota on his reads or mechanics.  He is a disaster waiting to happen for the team stupid enough to draft him in the first couple of rounds.  Anyone touting him as an NFL QB is obviously looking from afar with only limited vision in their good eye.  Better suited as a janitor than pro QB.

I have to say I unfortunately agree with this. I was such a big fan even last year with him as a potential early entry. Now, I still like him, but not in the first round anymore. And tbh, seeing how much leeway they've given Geno as a second rounder, I'm not picking Hundley any earlier than the 3rd. He'd be a great developmental back up for a good team though. 

I have to say I unfortunately agree with this. I was such a big fan even last year with him as a potential early entry. Now, I still like him, but not in the first round anymore. And tbh, seeing how much leeway they've given Geno as a second round, I'm not picking Hundley an earlier than the 3rd. He'd be a great developmental back up for a good team though.

I wish I was a Browns fan, you lucky SOB :(

I'm all in on this guy. Reminds me of Big Ben.

My dream scenario for the upcoming draft -- assuming we pick top 10 - is to take Cooper with our first pick then move back up into the back half of the first round for Cook.

bingo. i said this earlier, might be a chance we can get cook in rd 2

If he is there late 1 -- I want to go get him and not wait and hope he drops.  This assumes, of course that we have a GM that will be aggressive and go after the guy he wants on draft day.  

Cook would be my first choice as well hands down.  Big tall pocket passer with a strong arm.  He has some mechanical issues going on right now he has developed this bad habit of hopping around in the pocket and not setting his feet to throw.  When he isn't hopping he has a gun and is very accurate.  I'd still love the Jets to grab him Ive seen him at his best when his mechanics are sound and its very similar to a Big Ben type QB.  Plus having a Spartan on the Jets is a huge plus.

I'd much rather draft a WR. I don't agree that Geno is even mediocre but the I'd make the point that our WR group is still the worst in the league even with Decker. Maybe Amaro will develop an ability to catch wide open passes at his chest but even then we need another WR or two.

Our WRs, as bad as they are, are still better than several teams. The Browns without Gordon have no one. The Rams have Quick and nobody. Panthers got a good one in Benjamin, but no one else.

Our WRs, as bad as they are, are still better than several teams. The Browns without Gordon have no one. The Rams have Quick and nobody. Panthers got a good one in Benjamin, but no one else.

Eh.  Benjamin has crazy high upside so I'll give the Panthers the edge and honestly, Hawkins isn't bad at all.  100% agree on the Rams, though.

He is an athlete, not a QB.  As of now, his fundamental QB skills have not improved.  Reads and reaction are slow (as in mentally slow). Watch and you will see.

We go to UCLA games a few times a year with friends who are alums  - pre games are the highlight.  Good fun.

I watched, and I saw.  LOL.

Yeah, it seems you are right.  Who he actually reminded me of was Geno Smith at WV.  A lot of screen passes, that go for big gains, and inflat the stats.

What concerned me the most about him was he seems to have slow arm motion.  Just not snapping the ball out.  Not to mention the turn overs.

I'll watch him again this year, and of course in the Bowl game before I kick him under the bus, but so far I agree with your observations..

Thanks for the input

Archived