percy harvin traded to jets (MERGED)

drsamuel84

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a rental. He has tremendous talent. But I get what you are saying. It's not even clear that this helps at all this year. Also, how do you bring in a coach from Seattle now? They couldn't handle him before.

It doesnt help us this year. You can argue that its a reciever to help evaluate Geno but he's not a traditional reciever so I don't know if I even agree with that. We could have also had DeSean Jackson in the offseason who's the same type of headache and player minus the literal headaches that contribute to Harvin playing 4 games a year, Idzik decided to preserve cap space and kill off Ryan for next season and his coach, now he wastes part of it 7 weeks into a train wreck. Maybe this wins us a couple more games but who give a ****? Id rather finish our tank job and get Amari Cooper if they want a reciever. Even if Harvin is lights out do we expect or really want Idzik giving 10 mil a year to a basketcase who can't stay healthy?

It doesnt help us this year. You can argue that its a reciever to help evaluate Geno but he's not a traditional reciever so I don't know if I even agree with that. We could have also had DeSean Jackson in the offseason who's the same type of headache and player minus the literal headaches that contribute to Harvin playing 4 games a year, Idzik decided to preserve cap space and kill off Ryan for next season and his coach, now he wastes part of it 7 weeks into a train wreck. Maybe this wins us a couple more games but who give a ****? Id rather finish our tank job and get Amari Cooper if they want a reciever. Even if Harvin is lights out do we expect or really want Idzik giving 10 mil a year to a basketcase who can't stay healthy?

You are preaching to the choir about DJax. Maybe the hope is to reneg Harvin after the season and having him on the roster to do so give you some obvious leverage?

Hardly any Jets players have gotten into trouble under Rex.

The Braylon dui and that guy with the gun this season is all I can recall.

I wasn't talking about off the field issues. I was talking about on the field performance. I don't recall anyone getting charged with murder under Rex tho.

Percy Harvin: Risk, reward and implications

March, 24, 2013

3/24/13

7:00

PM ET

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

The Seattle Seahawks thought it was worth the risk to trade for wide receiver Percy Harvin.

Percy Harvin was an MVP candidate with the Minnesota Vikings in mid-October, and then he was expendable five months later -- traded to the Seattle Seahawks at age 24.

The move made little sense on the surface. Teams generally do not trade uniquely talented players entering the primes of their careers.

There had to be more to this story, but how much more? How much risk did the Seahawks assume when they paid three draft choices to the Vikings and more than $25 million in guarantees to Harvin? Four days at the recent NFL owners meeting in Phoenix provided an opportunity to chase down answers. Not that Vikings coach Leslie Frazier was much help.

"There are a lot of layers to this situation," Frazier said, "and one day, when [we] sit down and write this book, we'll divulge all the layers. But it's complicated."

The Seahawks have been much clearer about their motivations. They see Harvin as a unique talent and someone whose unrelenting competitiveness -- a source of trouble for Harvin, particularly in his youth -- mirrors the very essence of coach Pete Carroll's program. When they connected with Harvin over Skype immediately following the trade, the multidimensional receiver had a message for them: He couldn't wait to practice against a secondary featuring combative cornerbacks Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner.

That kind of talk has obvious appeal for Carroll, who has made competition his mantra. But where the Seahawks see competitiveness, a general manager from another team saw risk.

"Harvin has been kicked out of programs his whole life," the GM said. "Not just in the NFL, but in high school and junior high. He has never proven to be sustainably coachable."

Percy Harvin

Percy Harvin

#11 WR

Seattle Seahawks

2012 STATS

Rec

Yds

TD

Avg

Long

YAC

531Harvin always had the talent. He won Virginia high school state championships in the long jump, triple jump, 100 meters, 200 meters and 4x100-meter relay -- all in the same year. But his involvement in multiple heat-of-the-moment altercations led to repeated suspensions, an arrest and even his banishment from a high school sports league. A reported positive test for marijuana at the combine threw up another red flag.

Those incidents are ancient history. Harvin has never served an NFL suspension despite playing in an era when commissioner Roger Goodell has embraced a law-and-order approach to the role.

Harvin, drafted 22nd overall in 2009 after dominating at the University of Florida, has at times been as dynamic as any player in the NFL, scoring touchdowns as a receiver, runner and kickoff returner.

"The best all around player I ever seen or you'll ever see!" teammate and reigning MVP Adrian Peterson tweeted after the Vikings shipped Harvin to Seattle two weeks ago. "I feel like I just got kicked in the stomach."

Only injuries and spotty quarterback play have limited Harvin as a pro. But he was outspoken about his unhappiness in Minnesota last offseason. Reports of trade demands surfaced again more recently, strengthening perceptions of Harvin as difficult.

"I think that’s classic of a competitor that sometimes they push the limits," Carroll said. "You like that because that’s who they are. I don’t have any problem with that. I don’t have any problem with guys being highly, highly competitive. There’s an understanding that we had to come together on. We’ve already talked to Percy. I want him to be as competitive as he can be. We need to make sure it always helps our football team."

The teams drafting Jason Smith, Tyson Jackson, Aaron Curry, Mark Sanchez, Andre Smith, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Aaron Maybin, Knowshon Moreno, Larry English and Robert Ayers ahead of Harvin would have been much better off selecting Harvin despite repeated warnings. The teams drafting those players never could have leveraged them into what the Vikings are getting from Seattle. Not even close.

Which leads back to the question at hand: How much risk is Seattle taking?

General managers polled at the NFL owners meeting raised a few concerns from a Seahawks perspective.

Financial risk: Committing $25 million guaranteed to an enigmatic, regularly injured player made some uncomfortable. The Vikings did not come right out and call Harvin uncoachable, but Frazier's comments certainly left that impression. Again, teams don't trade away supremely talented 24-year-old players without reason. The Seahawks are getting a player the Vikings couldn't manage. Not only that, they are empowering that player with all that guaranteed cash.

Questionable trade-off: Giving up premium draft choices was another issue for some. Seattle traded the 25th and 214th picks of the 2013 draft and a 2014 third-rounder to the Vikings. The players Seattle could have drafted in those slots would have played under team-friendly rookie contracts. For example, the deal Dont'a Hightower signed with the New England Patriots as the 25th pick in 2012 could count less than $8 million against the cap over its four-year life. Harvin's contract is scheduled to consume $67 million in salary-cap space over its life.

Locker-room implications: The Seahawks have a long list of young, talented players in line for new contracts over the next couple of years. They approach those negotiations having proved in spectacular fashion their willingness to pay absolute top dollar for a player who has never scored a touchdown or made a tackle for them. While it's debatable whether Seattle could have gotten hometown discounts from Kam Chancellor, Sherman, Earl Thomas or the others, they can forget about it now.

The Seahawks can answer the concerns pretty convincingly.

Percy Harvin adds another dimension to an already dynamic Seattle offense.

Carroll's ability to reach players is arguably unsurpassed in the NFL. Not many coaches could pull off piping hip-hop music into practices without coming off as phony, but Carroll does that and more. He is the antithesis in style and probably substance to Brad Childress, the uptight former Vikings coach. And with Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell signing off enthusiastically on the trade after coaching Harvin in Minnesota, the Seahawks proceeded without the reservations some teams would have brought to the deal.

"Darrell had a great relationship with Percy that I found out, after talking with Percy, was reciprocated," Carroll said. "They worked together really well. He raved about his competitiveness, raved about his work ethic, raved about his talent. It was just total positive, supportive perspective from Darrell on him. The best perspective that we could have called on was what Darrell told me. That cemented the idea, 'Let’s go for it.'"

The Seahawks, unlike the Vikings, also have a dynamic young quarterback to keep Harvin happy. Harvin flourished when Brett Favre was the Vikings' quarterback. Russell Wilson arrives at Seahawks headquarters around 6 a.m. during the offseason, demonstrating a competitive will that Harvin has said intrigued him.

"It just resonated with Percy," Carroll said.

Giving up high draft picks for the right to overpay a veteran prospect goes against what the Seahawks and most teams believe in philosophically. Seattle obviously felt as though the 25th pick in the draft wasn't likely to return a player with nearly the dynamism Harvin will offer from the beginning. The 2014 third-round pick that was part of the deal represents what Seattle would pay to move up five or six slots in the first round this year.

I was most interested in the potential fallout with Chancellor, Sherman, Thomas and the Seahawks' other Pro Bowl-caliber players working under cheap rookie deals. All will presumably welcome adding to their roster a playmaker with Harvin's credentials, but the dollar signs in their eyes had to grow in size as well.

"We are taking care of all of our guys, every single one of our guys," Carroll said. "We're working Kam right now and we're going to continue to work our guys."

Chancellor is scheduled to earn $1.3 million in 2013, the final year of his contract. Receiver Golden Tate is also scheduled for free agency in a year. Thomas and Sherman are signed through 2014. They're like planes circling over an airport, each eager to land a big-money deal.

One rival coach downplayed the consequences a Harvin-type contract will have in a locker room.

"Players understand the business side of the game," the St. Louis Rams' Jeff Fisher said. "The business side always sorts itself out. Guys go into that last year and tend to pick it up.

"Those things aren't a distraction. Maybe they are discussed off-campus, but not in a locker room."

The Seahawks' ongoing negotiations with Chancellor provide one test case. Recent history suggests Seattle could have other options as well. Chancellor was a fifth-round pick. So was Sherman. The Seahawks have a couple of fifth-round choices in the 2013 draft. Continuing to draft well would remove pressure from negotiations.

"We're not going to pay guys ahead of [schedule] just because we're working with their contracts," Carroll said, "but we know as our guys come up, those are all managed for the future and we have a big plan for all that.

"[GM] John [schneider] has worked hard at it. And because we have worked so hard at it, we were in position where we had free-agency money to spend and hopefully we will continue to be able to manage it in that fashion."

So had a few hours to ruminate on this, and......I still don't get it.

Troubled Player.

Injury History.

Bad in the Locker Room.

Prima Donna.

WR who is more a Kick Returner

Expensive

Middle of Lost Season at 1-6

Potentially a 2nd Round Pick Loss.

What am I missing here?

This seems like a pants-on-head bad move.

So what am I missing?

Exactly. The more time I think about this trade, the more I hate it. Part of me wonders if this was pushed by Woody to try and save Rex (in which case Idzik should've quit on the spot), or if it was just a panic move by Idzik due to the NY beat writers trying to get him canned. If this ends up being a rental which not only costs us a 4th but also nets us worthless wins in a lost season (compromising our draft position), as well as takes up $7mm in cap that we now can't roll over to next season (which we could've used to target a Dez or Demarius), then this was just an awful trade. If we end up keeping him long term, we spent a 2nd to add a known malcontent and locker room cancer with injury problems to the roster, who our next HC (assuming it's not Rex) might not want to deal with.

Great post, couldn't agree more.

Jets' trade for Percy Harvin brings up one big question: Why?

October 17, 2014 7:47 PM By BOB GLAUBER bob.glauber@newsday.com

image.JPG

Wide receiver Percy Harvin of the Seattle Seahawks speaks to the media during Super Bowl XLVIII Media Day at the Prudential Center. (Jan. 28, 2014) (Credit:

Getty Images)

Bob Glauber 3842553246.jpgBob Glauber

Glauber has been Newsday's national football columnist since 1992. He

bioemailtwitter

Related media image.JPGPercy Harvin

The Jets have traded for Seahawks wide receiver Percy Harvin, which prompts us to say, simply: Wow. And then to ask, simply: Why?

It's a rare in-season blockbuster deal, especially for one team that is 1-6 and essentially out of the playoff race and the other that is 3-2 and defending the Super Bowl championship. A Super Bowl title game in which Harvin showed just how dazzling he can be on the field when his health and his head are in the right place.

This is now the third team for the former first-round wide receiver, who was selected with the Vikings' 22nd overall pick in 2009 and then traded to the Seahawks last year for first- and seventh-round picks in 2013 and a third-rounder in 2014. That's an awful lot of bouncing around for an elite talent, who spent much of his time in Minnesota dealing with migraine headaches, ankle and hip injuries, and contract complaints.

When he's right in body and in mind, Harvin is one of the most electrifying players in the game. Unfortunately for the two teams that have invested big money in him - the Seahawks gave him a six-year, $67 million contract that included $25.5 million in guarantees - Harvin has been big on drama and injury, and mostly short on performance. He spent most of last season rehabbing from hip surgery, but the Seahawks gambled that he'd be healthy by the end of the season.

Harvin played in just one regular-season game and had only one catch, suffering complications from the surgery that kept him out of action until the playoffs. He made it back in time for the divisional round of the NFC playoffs, helping the Seahawks to a 23-15 win over the Saints. A concussion left him unable to play in the NFC Championship Game, but he came back for the Super Bowl and was a key factor in Seattle's 43-8 win over the Broncos at MetLife Stadium. He had an 87-yard punt return for touchdown to start the second half, and had two rushes for 45 yards.

Harvin had what would have been a dramatic performance in Seattle's 27-17 win over Washington in a Monday night game on Oct. 6, but the three receiving touchdowns he caught were all called back because of penalties on the Seahawks' offense.

Harvin's moments of brilliance have been largely overshadowed by his injuries and his attitude, and unless there is demonstrable evidence that he will be a reliable presence on the field and in the locker room, we'll have to put this trade into the high-risk category. At 26, Harvin is still in the prime of his career, but as the Jets have already seen with another 26-year-old mercurial wide receiver they once traded for, the risk may not be worth the reward.

The Jets acquired Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes from the Steelers in 2010, and Holmes turned into a major contributor in the Jets' run to the AFC Championship Game that year. But he also turned into a locker room distraction, and the Jets bid him adieu in the off-season. Good riddance at the time, especially once the Jets replaced him with Broncos free agent Eric Decker, who is a much more reliable player and teammate.

Even with Decker, the Jets' receiving corps lacked a game-breaking type player, and Harvin certainly fits that description when he's ready to play. But all too often during his days with the Vikings and then his brief stint with the Seahawks, he hasn't been ready to answer the bell on game day.

Jets general manager John Idzik has been widely criticized for not making bold moves and using up some of the $20-plus million in salary cap space the Jets created after getting out from under cap-constraining contracts of Holmes, Mark Sanchez and others. Is he reacting to the pressure by trading for Harvin, especially when there's a strong likelihood the Jets will have a new head coach next season? Or does Harvin figure into Idzik's long-term planning process? The receiver is certainly young enough to fit into that vision, but he hasn't been reliable enough to count on.

That the Seahawks were willing to give up on Harvin so quickly ought to at least raise some red flags. And for a team that's already out of it less than halfway through the season, you have to wonder what the upside is, other than to create some buzz for a season gone bad.

That hasn't been Idzik's modus operandi in his very deliberate roster construction, so perhaps there are other factors at work. Team owner Woody Johnson was enamored with another temperamental speed receiver in the offseason, but the Jets didn't pull off a trade for DeSean Jackson, who went to Washington. Maybe Harvin is the consolation prize.

Whatever the case, it's a "wow" moment for a Jets team that has gone kaput early. But we still can't get away from that other one-word reaction to this blockbuster deal: Why?

What's the point? We're 1-6, the season's lost. This might help us win an extra game that knocks us down 3-4 spots in the draft. Also, what did we give up? And how many years is he under contract for?

conditional mid round pick = good deal with a lot of upside ...reason its a mid round pick is due to the injury situation  this deal was done for the future not the present since we are 1-6

I think Geno is 10x the player that Sanchez was, you can see what Geno can become when Decker is in the lineup

We'll definitely see now now won't we?  The "no weapons" argument has just gone out the window and he now has 9 very winnable games ahead of him.

conditional mid round pick = good deal with a lot of upside ...reason its a mid round pick is due to the injury situation this deal was done for the future not the present since we are 1-6

A second round draft pick is not a mid round draft pick .. especially if we end up with a top 3 draft pick your crazy do you know how much 1st round talent is still on the board with the 1st,2nd or 3rd pick in the 2nd round

Playing well and keeping on the straight and narrow are the same when youre labeled a bad seed.

Some teams are just better at covering it up. Kinda like when Teddy Bruschi had that heart attack. Every heart attack victim should have a heart attack like Teddy Bruschi had. Ya know, the kind where you play in an NFL game the next week. Also kind of like how Hernandez was a worse head case for BB than he was for Florida. And all of it under BBs nose.

Jets' trade for Percy Harvin brings up one big question: Why?

October 17, 2014 7:47 PM By BOB GLAUBER bob.glauber@newsday.com

image.JPG

Wide receiver Percy Harvin of the Seattle Seahawks speaks to the media during Super Bowl XLVIII Media Day at the Prudential Center. (Jan. 28, 2014) (Credit:

Getty Images)

Bob Glauber 3842553246.jpgBob Glauber

Glauber has been Newsday's national football columnist since 1992. He

bioemailtwitter

Related media image.JPGPercy Harvin

The Jets have traded for Seahawks wide receiver Percy Harvin, which prompts us to say, simply: Wow. And then to ask, simply: Why?

It's a rare in-season blockbuster deal, especially for one team that is 1-6 and essentially out of the playoff race and the other that is 3-2 and defending the Super Bowl championship. A Super Bowl title game in which Harvin showed just how dazzling he can be on the field when his health and his head are in the right place.

This is now the third team for the former first-round wide receiver, who was selected with the Vikings' 22nd overall pick in 2009 and then traded to the Seahawks last year for first- and seventh-round picks in 2013 and a third-rounder in 2014. That's an awful lot of bouncing around for an elite talent, who spent much of his time in Minnesota dealing with migraine headaches, ankle and hip injuries, and contract complaints.

When he's right in body and in mind, Harvin is one of the most electrifying players in the game. Unfortunately for the two teams that have invested big money in him - the Seahawks gave him a six-year, $67 million contract that included $25.5 million in guarantees - Harvin has been big on drama and injury, and mostly short on performance. He spent most of last season rehabbing from hip surgery, but the Seahawks gambled that he'd be healthy by the end of the season.

Harvin played in just one regular-season game and had only one catch, suffering complications from the surgery that kept him out of action until the playoffs. He made it back in time for the divisional round of the NFC playoffs, helping the Seahawks to a 23-15 win over the Saints. A concussion left him unable to play in the NFC Championship Game, but he came back for the Super Bowl and was a key factor in Seattle's 43-8 win over the Broncos at MetLife Stadium. He had an 87-yard punt return for touchdown to start the second half, and had two rushes for 45 yards.

Harvin had what would have been a dramatic performance in Seattle's 27-17 win over Washington in a Monday night game on Oct. 6, but the three receiving touchdowns he caught were all called back because of penalties on the Seahawks' offense.

Harvin's moments of brilliance have been largely overshadowed by his injuries and his attitude, and unless there is demonstrable evidence that he will be a reliable presence on the field and in the locker room, we'll have to put this trade into the high-risk category. At 26, Harvin is still in the prime of his career, but as the Jets have already seen with another 26-year-old mercurial wide receiver they once traded for, the risk may not be worth the reward.

The Jets acquired Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes from the Steelers in 2010, and Holmes turned into a major contributor in the Jets' run to the AFC Championship Game that year. But he also turned into a locker room distraction, and the Jets bid him adieu in the off-season. Good riddance at the time, especially once the Jets replaced him with Broncos free agent Eric Decker, who is a much more reliable player and teammate.

Even with Decker, the Jets' receiving corps lacked a game-breaking type player, and Harvin certainly fits that description when he's ready to play. But all too often during his days with the Vikings and then his brief stint with the Seahawks, he hasn't been ready to answer the bell on game day.

Jets general manager John Idzik has been widely criticized for not making bold moves and using up some of the $20-plus million in salary cap space the Jets created after getting out from under cap-constraining contracts of Holmes, Mark Sanchez and others. Is he reacting to the pressure by trading for Harvin, especially when there's a strong likelihood the Jets will have a new head coach next season? Or does Harvin figure into Idzik's long-term planning process? The receiver is certainly young enough to fit into that vision, but he hasn't been reliable enough to count on.

That the Seahawks were willing to give up on Harvin so quickly ought to at least raise some red flags. And for a team that's already out of it less than halfway through the season, you have to wonder what the upside is, other than to create some buzz for a season gone bad.

That hasn't been Idzik's modus operandi in his very deliberate roster construction, so perhaps there are other factors at work. Team owner Woody Johnson was enamored with another temperamental speed receiver in the offseason, but the Jets didn't pull off a trade for DeSean Jackson, who went to Washington. Maybe Harvin is the consolation prize.

Whatever the case, it's a "wow" moment for a Jets team that has gone kaput early. But we still can't get away from that other one-word reaction to this blockbuster deal: Why?

LOL high risk category ? It was made for a conditional mid round pick if he can't produce the Jets release him

Exactly. The more time I think about this trade, the more I hate it. Part of me wonders if this was pushed by Woody to try and save Rex (in which case Idzik should've quit on the spot), or if it was just a panic move by Idzik due to the NY beat writers trying to get him canned. If this ends up being a rental which not only costs us a 4th but also nets us worthless wins in a lost season (compromising our draft position), as well as takes up $7mm in cap that we now can't roll over to next season (which we could've used to target a Dez or Demarius), then this was just an awful trade. If we end up keeping him long term, we spent a 2nd to add a known malcontent and locker room cancer with injury problems to the roster, who our next HC (assuming it's not Rex) might not want to deal with.

Great post, couldn't agree more.

you guys speculate way too much about the inner workings of the Jets organization. No one knows whats going on outside of what they discuss internally

A second round draft pick is not a mid round draft pick .. especially if we end up with a top 3 draft pick your crazy do you know how much 1st round talent is still on the board with the 1st,2nd or 3rd pick in the 2nd round

I ididnt read the entire thread was it in fact a 2nd round pick ? if so Im not that thrilled either

Archived