percy harvin traded to jets (MERGED)

drsamuel84

They probably wanted to also get rid if the bad locker room guys.

They got Harvin. So again there is an inconsistency.

At the end of the day seems like Idzik forgot his own mantra from first year. I might be paraphrasing somewhat but it went along the lines of you take care of needs via free agency and draft is for adding the best talent.

He was forced to make this move whether its by all the criticism in the media and fan world or the owner, we will never know. But he made a move that was inconsistent with his approach of building the team during his tenure here. It also has bigger picture implications. But we will see how they play out.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? I don't even... another headscratching move by Idzik.

This is literally EXACTLY what you were complaining about all offseason. Now that we have it "headscratcher". C'mon man, I know you're better than this.

Okay fine, this and a cornerback.

They didn't expect Milliner to be the tin man, Patterson to be incredibly stupid, and Mcdougle to tear an ACL. 

I understand that. All good points. Points I have made on my own.

Its the inconsistency of approach and the timing I am questioning. The plan sold to us was always  build thru the draft and keep adding talent.

Otherwise when you have the money and a veteran is ready to come to the team on a one year and no future cap implications deal, then why not add the insurance. You have that insurance when the season is still alive.

JETS are now making desperate moves that in the middle of the season with Harvin where the probability of reviving the season is very small. This season is lost. I am not sure how many teams come back from 1-6 and go to the playoffs.

i could go on but i am going to enjoy my drink instead. :)

We've needed two WRs for two years, so we get one who's hurt a lot and get zero for the other side.  Then we get a genuine gamebreaker in the middle of the year and what happens?  People bitch.

What's wrong with you people?

I am not against adding Harvin the player for a tryout. But i am against the timing of this move. It surely impacts our draft position and there is only a very miniscule chance we make the playoffs. At 1-6 i would rather the team look at their draft positioning and long term planning and not focus on the short term.

I would have been happier if this move was made in Feb.

This trade is like Escape from L.A. At one point in history, a Snake Plisken sequel was absolutely necessary, but the time for that eventually passed, and when they finally did get around to making it, it was too little too late. But hey at least we did get Snake surfing a tsunami down Sunset Boulevard #thankscarpenter.

the reason for this is because Geno looked pretty f-in good last night which has idzik scratching his head thinking sh*it, i thought this guy sucks, then he goes out and has a great game against a good defense and puts his team in position to win the game

Idzick is trying to figure out whether or not he needs to get a qb next year, the thought process being maybe if we add some offensive weaponry he will look even better

I agree completely.  We were supposed to get Geno some weapons to see what he can look like.  We got one WR who's good but is hurt a lot this year, and not only wiped out on the draft choices for the other side, the two Plan B journeymen we had just in case are hurt.  And there was Harvin right in front of our eyes.

I am not against adding Harvin the player for a tryout. But i am against the timing of this move. It surely impacts our draft position and there is only a very miniscule chance we make the playoffs. At 1-6 i would rather the team look at their draft positioning and long term planning and not focus on the short term.

Certainly it is not ideal timing and the chances of our making the playoffs are slim.  But last year Geno had Kerley and nobody else.  We were supposed to fix him up with weapons and made a good start signing Decker.  But now Decker is troubled with a nagging injury, CJ is not doing much and Geno's back to Kerley as his only option half the time.  The opportunity is there, we can't go on like this at WR.

Certainly it is not ideal timing and the chances of our making the playoffs are slim.  But last year Geno had Kerley and nobody else.  We were supposed to fix him up with weapons and made a good start signing Decker.  But now Decker is troubled with a nagging injury, CJ is not doing much and Geno's back to Kerley as his only option half the time.  The opportunity is there, we can't go on like this at WR.

But from reports this trade was available for a few weeks. So why wait for it till now. Decker was not fit to play a couple of weeks back. Atleast he is back on the field now.

Remember when people mocked the Bears for picking up Brandon Marshall?

different circumstances.

Cutler spent a long time lobbying to get marshall, those 2 got along really well. The coaches were on board with getting marshall and making him a featured part of the offense. seamless transition.

Marshall didn't have his sh*t together in miami (dealing with split personality disorder) and their [now ex] GM was a complete imbecile, which is why he cost just 2 third rd picks.

Marshall is also a far superior player to Harvin. the guy had 1000 yards with chad henne at QB...harvin has never gone over 1000 in his career. not much of a comparison here either.

this was a move made by a GM desperate to cling onto his job.

They didn't expect Milliner to be the tin man, Patterson to be incredibly stupid, and Mcdougle to tear an ACL. 

That's a weak argument.  Patterson never played all preseason because he was injured, not because he went nuts.   And wow. a guy who missed more games than he's played over a 9 year career is inured again. Sorry but Patterson was just a dumb move and using the "he went nuts" excuse is a lame argument.  Patterson was a bad signing and people just can't admit that for some reason and try to blame it on him going nuts.   

McDougle missed all of last year and was a 3rd round pick,  who counts on that kind of guy to be your starting CB?  

And Milliner was injured last year and stunk for most of the season.    

So yeah, coming into the season hoping that those guys were going to be the ones starting, sorry but that's just a stupid GM.

Point taken on the draft pick, but Jackson is not cheaper. He got $16m guaranteed over the first two years of his deal. We're committed to Harvin for $6.4m for this year and nothing after that.

So we're paying Harvin about 7 million for a half season audition. If that was the avenue we where going to wind up going down it made more sense to trade a conditional 7th for Jackson and let him play out the full year at 10 mil. We just burned 7 million in cap next year in a now meaningless season. Plus he's owed 12 next year, so hes getting cut unless he wants to renegotiate for the pleasure of playing on the Jets. I didn't want Jackson but it also would have saved us two 4ths at the minimum cause we wouldn't have burned one on Jalen Saunders.

So we're paying Harvin about 7 million for a half season audition. If that was the avenue we where going to wind up going down it made more sense to trade a conditional 7th for Jackson and let him play out the full year at 10 mil. We just burned 7 million in cap next year in a now meaningless season. Plus he's owed 12 next year, so hes getting cut unless he wants to renegotiate for the pleasure of playing on the Jets. I didn't want Jackson but it also would have saved us at two 4ths at the minimum cause we wouldn't have burned one on Jalen Saunders.

Idzik is in over his head. He's not a GM, he's a penny counter. 

Big difference - Idzik had the opinion of MM. Idzik also had the counsel of his friends in Seattle. I don't think you have to be a genius to figure out MM opinion of Jackson as opposed to his opinion about Vick.

His opinion might not mean much seeing as you're suggesting he wanted Vick, the guy who makes 4 million dollars but couldn't be bothered to prepare, as the guy we wanted around our young QB. He also thought deferring in OT was a good idea.

We've needed two WRs for two years, so we get one who's hurt a lot and get zero for the other side.  Then we get a genuine gamebreaker in the middle of the year and what happens?  People bitch.

A scorpion and a frog are on one side of a raging river and want to get across. The scorpion asks the frog if he can ride on his back. The frog hesitates and asks how he can be assured that the scorpion won't sting him. The scorpion says that if he does so, he will also drown. The frog agrees and halfway across the river the scorpion stings him. Before they go under, the frog asks why and the scorpion replies, "I am sorry, t'is my nature."

They got Harvin. So again there is an inconsistency.

At the end of the day seems like Idzik forgot his own mantra from first year. I might be paraphrasing somewhat but it went along the lines of you take care of needs via free agency and draft is for adding the best talent.

He was forced to make this move whether its by all the criticism in the media and fan world or the owner, we will never know. But he made a move that was inconsistent with his approach of building the team during his tenure here. It also has bigger picture implications. But we will see how they play out.

Vick, CJ1K, Decker, Giacomini.. Plenty of FA pickups. Why is this the one that shows any inconsistency?

You cannot always choose the timing of an opportunity, only if you will take advantage of it.

But from reports this trade was available for a few weeks. So why wait for it till now. Decker was not fit to play a couple of weeks back. Atleast he is back on the field now.

The reports I read said SEA was shopping him for a few weeks, not that this trade on these terms was available since then. The price probably came down as time went on.

This trade is like Escape from L.A. At one point in history, a Snake Plisken sequel was absolutely necessary, but the time for that eventually passed, and when they finally did get around to making it, it was too little too late. But hey at least we did get Snake surfing a tsunami down Sunset Boulevard #thankscarpenter.

So are you trying to say that you're not excited about the fact that Disney purchased the rights and are currently in pre-production for Escape from Orlando?

Almost agree with u there. We didn't get a WR who's hurt a lot in Decker. He had never missed a game prior to this season (2 in his rookie season, but a healthy scratch from what I can tell). He's got a hamstring injury. Its not like he keeps getting bruised every wk. He just needs time to let that hamstring heal, but with us being in the middle of the season, he's playing far more often than he probably should. Needs 2-3 wks of complete rest to be 100%. The bye wk should help him a lot in staying fresh, but he's certainly not a player that is hurt a lot. Just saying.

And yeah, not sure why people are bitching about idzik bringing in a playmaker. Those are idiot fans that have no dignity left in them and want to tank the season for another QB without decent weapons. With Percy on board, Geno has all the tools he needs. How long he takes to build a chemistry is to be seen, but I feel him n Percy are equally immature so they should get along nicely. We'll see some decent dividends after the bye wk if the trade works in the Jets favor. Otherwise this is a one yr rental for a 4th round pick much like Pats did with Aqib Talib

I didn't mean that Decker was hurt a lot throughout his career.  I meant that this year we couldn't get a #2 WR, so basically the improvement for Geno was Decker and a learning Amaro.  When Decker goes out Geno is very near where he was last year target-wise.  Decker hurt his hamstring, missed sometime, came back not necessarily 100%, might have to lose some more time to get it right, etc.  When Decker's not in there Geno is down to Kerley, who's good but operates better when the defense is looking elsewhere, that's when Kerley kills you.  If you start a new QB, you need some people there who can make a play, catch some balls that weren't perfect, etc. to get the kid on track and in rhythm.

honestly i think this is a sell high move for the seahawks i dont think percy harvin is that good

better then anything the jets got tho

Sell high? The Seahawks paid a kings ransom for the guy a year and a half ago. We got him on the clearance rack.

The Jets may very well have made this offer a few weeks ago, but Seattle held out in hopes of getting something more. Now with the trade deadline coming closer, they may have called Idzik and asked if his offer was still on the table.

Speculation, of course. But so is saying this was a desperation move by us.

Let me give you a preview-Geno is not an NFL QB. He didn't play great last night. MM simply dumbed down the offense and ran a lot, and SMith refrained from the usual crapping the bed. It's not greatness, it's barely mediocre, and only for a night. Jets had to try a 58 yard FG because AGAIN with the game right there Smith was mostly useless.

Oh, I am pretty much in agreement with you....

I am just saying why I think Idzik did this now, not that I think this was a smart move, or saying Geno is good.

different circumstances.

Cutler spent a long time lobbying to get marshall, those 2 got along really well. The coaches were on board with getting marshall and making him a featured part of the offense. seamless transition.

Marshall didn't have his sh*t together in miami (dealing with split personality disorder) and their [now ex] GM was a complete imbecile, which is why he cost just 2 third rd picks.

Marshall is also a far superior player to Harvin. the guy had 1000 yards with chad henne at QB...harvin has never gone over 1000 in his career. not much of a comparison here either.

this was a move made by a GM desperate to cling onto his job.

The GM doesn't need Harvin to save his job, though.

Upon reading the web this morning:

1. The issues with Harvin were largely financial. Seattle opens up plenty of cap space moving forward and have too many big-ticket guys to sign (Wilson, Sherman, Bobby Wagner, etc)

2. Harvin gave Tate a black eye in a fight that resulted from Harvin coming to Russell Wilson's defense after Tate banged Wilson's wife/gf. Not too shabby, really.

3. Harvin refused to go back into last week's Cowboys game because he was pissed over playing time.

4. then there's this:

As one source explained it to PFT on Friday evening, the Seahawks possibly feared that Harvin had sufficient influence over enough of the locker room to launch a mutiny against quarterback Russell Wilson, who despite not yet getting a franchise-quarterback contract possibly has become the target of some resentment among players who don't share his complete devotion to the game, and who regard the third-year quarterback as a player-coach."

Decker

Harvin

Kerley

Salas

Amarro

Cumberland

Ivory/Johnson/Powell

Ok.

Be interesting to hear that described as "no talent" and "worst talent in the NFL" now.

Bit of a headscratcher tho, now, at 1-6.

2015 move, not a 2014 move.. and he knows seattle offensive system ;)

what a disappointing sequel, there aren't many good ones. My wife and I were talking and decided that both the Terminator sequels were good, Godfather 2 very good and there have been some pretty cool Star Treks. I had forgotten Snake surfing a tsunami...did Carpenter REALLY do that RJF, or are you joshing us? #oldguywithmemoryloss

One thing to consider here. The fancy new offenses that the Seahawks and Eagles run don't produce prolific receiving or passing numbers. The ball gets thrown around to five different players the whole game, and doesn't feature one guy. You can see how egomaniacs will have issues in those systems, and why both teams have low-ego guys like Doug Baldwin and Jeremy Maclin at receiver, while dumping DJax and Harvin. Seattle's leading receiver last year was Golden Tate, with 66. DJax had 82 catches last year, but this year, instead, the Eagles are on pace to have three guys finish with about 60 catches. The good news here is that Harvin won't have his playing time contested, and you know that Marty is going to throw it a lot. So, we'll see.

Archived