percy harvin traded to jets (MERGED)

drsamuel84

Aside from the obvious-the Jets #2 WR position had become outright embarrassing-another poster who's name I forgot made the following point:  The Jets made the decision that Geno had shown enough in these losses that it was imperative to get him another WR to make a judgment on him.  This was supposed to be the year we find out about Geno, we're not going to find out about him with Decker in and out of the lineup and Nelson/Salas at #2 WR.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

headshot_Manish_Mehta_bigger.jpgManish Mehta@MMehtaNYDN

Some in Jets organization are cautiously optimistic that a change of scenery will do Percy Harvin some good. Others just aren't sold #nyj

Lol. His change of scenery is leaving a Super Bowl champion with an all pro QB for a 1-6 ball club and the worst starter in the NFL. Not to mention the NY press.

Yeah, I'm sure his attitude can do nothing but improve.

Some in Jets organization are cautiously optimistic that a change of scenery will do Percy Harvin some good. Others just aren't sold #nyj

If reports are true, I guess there's some trepidation, but you could cut and paste this quote for pretty much every player traded or signed in the history of the sport. No one is ever unanimously loved. Hell, there were people who wanted Leaf over Peyton and RG III over Luck.

Ok, so here is what I do not get.  Haven't read the whole thread, but for any Jets fan who's complaining about this move costing us draft positioning because we're winning multiple games because of Harvin now... That's a good thing.

If this player one player is capable of winning games on his own, and in doing so, elevate the level of Geno Smith's game to the point where we're winning games, that is probably a positive for this team.

Did the conditions ever come out?  I imagine it'd be pretty difficult to get a 2nd out of all this as well.

I disagree. I keep saying that the smart teams know when a season is lost and sell off assets to tank for draft position and set themselves up for the future (e.g. 2011 Colts), while dumb teams make moves like this, which can turn a 3-13/4-12 team into a 5-11/6-10 team, which can cost us a franchise player in the draft, and we just end up spinning our wheels as an organization. I would've had no problem making this move at the beginning of the season, or even if we were something like 3-4 and were still in the mix of things; but now that we're cooked, I fail to see any reason to make a move like this at 1-6.

Also, he's either 1) a half-season rental player that we gave up a pick for and ~$7mm in cap space that we now can't roll over to next year (like I assumed was the plan for not spending this year) that we could've used in part to target a guy like Demaryius, just so we can win a few extra meaningless games in a clearly lost season, or 2) part of a long term plan, in which case we don't know if our next coach (assuming it isn't Rex) wants someone who is a known locker room cancer, who can't seem to keep healthy enough to stay on the field, on the roster.

Call me a conspiracist, but I think one of two things forced this trade: either Idzik made a panic move due to the NY beat writers screaming for his job, or Woody pushed it through in an attempt to win some meaningless late season games to save Rex's job. 

As for the conditions, I believe it's a 6th that can become a 4th depending on things like playing time, stats, if he's on the roster by a certain date, etc. (which makes it far more palatable than the initially reported 4th that can become a 2nd). 

So I also assume this trade happening in the middle of the year has to do with whether we are or are not drafting a qb 1st round?

yes, thats key. very astute BJ. This allows Jets to ignore WR in 1st rounds which will be needed to package our #1 to get Mariota. If that falls through I assume we sign Hoyer as a Free Agent and keep Geno as backup. This was NOT a 2014 trade but a 2015 and beyond move that cascades roster and draft.

yes, thats key. very astute BJ. This allows Jets to ignore WR in 1st rounds which will be needed to package our #1 to get Mariota. If that falls through I assume we sign Hoyer as a Free Agent and keep Geno as backup. This was NOT a 2014 trade but a 2015 and beyond move that cascades roster and draft.

Exactly. Now there are pretty much no excuses, Geno has the tools, now needs to produce, or we'll go with another option.

As of right now, it's unlikely that Harvin is a Jet next season. He's going to have to make a major life change if he wants a new contract at the end of the season. The only impact this has on 2015 is giving Idzik some insight into whether or not Geno is worth salvaging. If Harvin has that epiphany between now and then and can get himself a new deal here, all the better.

Exactly. Now there are pretty much no excuses, Geno has the tools, now needs to produce, or we'll go with another option.

again, I think Geno gone, BUT, u r right from a political point of view. Geno will have more groceries next 9 games and ergo a QB change in 2015 less egregious to fans/media.

Unless he plays lights out (which I think impossible cause he cant go thru his 3 progressions of pass plays) a change is 90% happening.

Plus if Rex is fired we now have a Seattle player familiar with the Sea playbook (to help other skill players adjust quicker) that is probably the Jets 2015 playbook.

As of right now, it's unlikely that Harvin is a Jet next season. He's going to have to make a major life change if he wants a new contract at the end of the season. The only impact this has on 2015 is giving Idzik some insight into whether or not Geno is worth salvaging. If Harvin has that epiphany between now and then and can get himself a new deal here, all the better.

I hear ya, but barring a arrest/locker room fight, he is 90% staying IMHO. I think a Sea offensive skill player was desired for more than just skill, but his knowledge of Sea playbook.

Again, just MHO. But this makes zero sense for just a 2014 move, zero.

again, I think Geno gone, BUT, u r right from a political point of view. Geno will have more groceries next 9 games and ergo a QB change in 2015 less egregious to fans/media.

Unless he plays lights out (which I think impossible cause he cant go thru his 3 progressions of pass plays) a change is 90% happening.

Plus if Rex is fired we now have a Seattle player familiar with the Sea playbook (to help other skill players adjust quicker) that is probably the Jets 2015 playbook.

I agree, I don't think Geno is the answer for us. I think we'll be looking for a qb come draft day. Who knows. Hopefully we're wrong though and does play lights out. Time will tell. And yeah I was talking to my friend about this, a new coach might not want to deal with Geno, so that also plays a huge part in it. 

Call me a conspiracist, but I think one of two things forced this trade: either Idzik made a panic move due to the NY beat writers screaming for his job, or Woody pushed it through in an attempt to win some meaningless late season games to save Rex's job. 

As for the conditions, I believe it's a 6th that can become a 4th depending on things like playing time, stats, if he's on the roster by a certain date, etc. 

NFL channel is calling it a 6th with potential to be a 4th.

As far as the conspiracy - I don't think there is one. Seems pretty obvious by all that's now confirmed on the wire that Harvin is a malcontented mope that was was messing up the mojo bad enough in Seattle that he had to be moved in "like NOW" fashion.

If I'm Schneider needing to make that move -  my though process is:

Hmm .. my good buddy johnny boy's azz is on the griddle in NY for schwansing his draft and essentially have one viable WR ....ring ring ring

Seattle's misfortune with Harvin could be a lucky break for us unless he continues to be a mope here. Or worse yet an oft injured mope - but most def worth the gamble

John Idzik's lucky day in my book.

NFL channel is calling it a 6th with potential to be a 4th.

As far as the conspiracy - I don't think there is one. Seems pretty obvious by all that's now confirmed on the wire that Harvin ia a malcontented mope that was was messing up the mojo bad enough in Seattle that he had to be moved in "like NOW" fashion.

If I'm Schneider needing to make that move -  my though process is:

Hmm .. my good buddy johnny boy's azz is on the griddle in NY for schwansing his draft and essentially have one viable WR ....ring ring ring

Seattle's misfortune with Harvin could be a lucky break for us unless he continues to be a mope here. 

John Idzik's lucky day in my book.

agree NJ, 2 pals helped each other out...this is a steal for that and more about Sea grabbing all cash they can to keep East Coast Russell in Seattle with HUGE contract at seasons end.

Rumor is if Russ doesnt like contract he is intrigued to either come back to NC and play in Carolina if Panthers sour on Cam or back to Redskins (where he grew up, Richmond and Skins fan) if Skins give up on RGIII.

agree NJ, 2 pals helped each other out...this is a steal for that and more about Sea grabbing all cash they can to keep East Coast Russell in Seattle with HUGE contract at seasons end.

Rumor is if Russ doesnt like contract he is intrigued to either come back to NC and play in Carolina if Panthers sour on Cam or back to Redskins (where he grew up, Richmond and Skins fan) if Skins give up on RGIII.

Which would put Petey back in the dumpster without a QB - would that ever be a great turn of events! Fingers crossed.

The people who aren't sold are the ones whose jobs are on the line. Does Mehta have a connect with MM or Rex.

Because if the JETS cannot win with Percy,  Rex and MM will be run out of town.

what in the blue hell? where did u hear this

what in the blue hell? where did u hear this

agent leverage, just got divorced, missed family etc

if money right OF COURSE he will stay in Seattle, lal I am saying is he is not adverse to leaving to Panthers or Skins one bit. Remember, this is a guy who lefty his college w/Grad year eligibility and went somewhere else, LOL. He goes where situation best for him, and thats more than just cash sometimes.

agent leverage, just got divorced, missed family etc

if money right OF COURSE he will stay in Seattle, lal I am saying is he is not adverse to leaving to Panthers or Skins one bit. Remember, this is a guy who lefty his college w/Grad year eligibility and went somewhere else, LOL. He goes where situation best for him, and thats more than just cash sometii 

i understand he is willing to test the market, but i have not heard anything about this at all. i doubt carolina will dump cam as he is having prolly his best season. washington maybe but they drafted two qbs only a couple years ago

This  - Harvin will be all about the coin at the end of this season and unless he does something spectacular in the next 9 games - Johnny PennyPincher will not bite.

what a disappointing sequel, there aren't many good ones. My wife and I were talking and decided that both the Terminator sequels were good, Godfather 2 very good and there have been some pretty cool Star Treks. I had forgotten Snake surfing a tsunami...did Carpenter REALLY do that RJF, or are you joshing us? #oldguywithmemoryloss

I'm equally upset about the Thing sequel that he never bothered making. I miss old Carpenter.

@SI_PeterKing: Percy1: Piggybacking on @MMehtaNYDN and @RapSheet: Seattle gets a 6 for Harvin if Jets cut him after year; a 4 if he's on team in 2015.

@SI_PeterKing: Percy2: Sea spoke to Cle, TB also. Jets made best offer. Sea was open w/Jet GM John Idzik about the whole book on Harvin.

@SI_PeterKing: Percy4: Jets have a 10-game trial with immensely talented player. They have a good mentor type in Vick for Harvin. Good move by Idzik.

So Jets give up a 4th if they keep him. Give up a 6th if they cut him. How anyone can bitch about this trade.....But of course many will

It would be great to hear who's who, but then again, who needs journalism when there's shade to be passive-aggresively thrown?

I'm hearing that some in the Jets organization require oxygen, while others are reptilian humanoids that require breathing apparatuses as their lungs cannot sustain the current elemental mixtures of our troposphere.

@SI_PeterKing: Percy1: Piggybacking on @MMehtaNYDN and @RapSheet: Seattle gets a 6 for Harvin if Jets cut him after year; a 4 if he's on team in 2015.

@SI_PeterKing: Percy2: Sea spoke to Cle, TB also. Jets made best offer. Sea was open w/Jet GM John Idzik about the whole book on Harvin.

@SI_PeterKing: Percy4: Jets have a 10-game trial with immensely talented player. They have a good mentor type in Vick for Harvin. Good move by Idzik.

So Jets give up a 4th if they keep him. Give up a 6th if they cut him. How anyone can bitch about this trade.....But of course many will

Cleveland would've made a lot of sense. Idzik got him pretty cheap, I'm surprised the Browns didn't offer more. Maybe their own troubled receiver gave them cold feet.

Cleveland would've made a lot of sense. Idzik got him pretty cheap, I'm surprised the Browns didn't offer more. Maybe their own troubled receiver gave them cold feet.

Was thinking the same. Guessing they didn't want both Gordon & Harvin in the same locker room.

Archived