percy harvin traded to jets (MERGED)

drsamuel84

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C'mon

This is a low risk, high reward move.   It cost the Jets a 6th round pick if the guy busts out.  At worst it cost them a 4th if he is an impact player.   The Jets had 3 4th round picks, and 4 6th round picks this year.  How many potential impact players did they get out of that?

Good trade

The 6th or the 4th are not the issue here - the concern is the cap hit.  Paying $7mm (which could have been rolled over) on a 1-6 team,  for a 9 game rental makes absolutely zero sense. 

Now, if they intend to pay him the $10mm a year next year (and believe that's the best they can do at WR) or believe they can get him to restructure then it's a great deal.  4th rounder for PH is something I would be more than willing to give up - but this can't be a "try-out" they better be prepared to pay him next year or this is a ridiculously poor signing.

I simply don't have the energy to articulate how galactically dense this move is -- at every conceivable level.  If ever we needed a sign that the NY Jets are a deeply dysunfctional organization, a rudderless ship of fools lost in the treacherous ocean that is the NFL, this is surely it,

I simply don't have the energy to articulate how galactically dense this move is -- at every conceivable level.  If ever we needed a sign that the NY Jets are a deeply dysunfctional organization, a rudderless ship of fools lost in the treacherous ocean that is the NFL, this is surely it,

Seems a bit dramatic, no?

It's only a bad move because of the $7mm being spent, and then it's only a bad move if they don't intend to keep him.   Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either but dysfunctional galactically dense are way over the top.

He's a good player with a lot of talent and exactly the type of thing the Jets need - a playmaker.  There's no risk on guaranteed money side, if you don't keep him you only give up a 6, if you do keep him you're only giving up a 4th.  throwing the $7mm away is certainly a concern but this is really a bit much.

Seems a bit dramatic, no?

It's only a bad move because of the $7mm being spent, and then it's only a bad move if they don't intend to keep him.   Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either but dysfunctional galactically dense are way over the top.

He's a good player with a lot of talent and exactly the type of thing the Jets need - a playmaker.  There's no risk on guaranteed money side, if you don't keep him you only give up a 6, if you do keep him you're only giving up a 4th.  throwing the $7mm away is certainly a concern but this is really a bit much.

It's called concise, vivid, and expressive writing.  Read it and weep!

;-)

Wow. Some people need a life. I read somebody say he looks very angry in this pic. Next pic had him smiling.

agreed. he's putting something in his pocket, and is guarding against a drop with the other hand.  solid WR move

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 

Wondered if #Jets could’ve gotten Percy Harvin deal done before #Patriots game. Turns out, deal heated up only the morning after the loss.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 

Percy Harvin talks to @MikeVick once a week, considers him a mentor. The hope is that the #Jets QB will ease Harvin’s transition to NY.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Wondered if #Jets could’ve gotten Percy Harvin deal done before #Patriots game. Turns out, deal heated up only the morning after the loss.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Percy Harvin talks to @MikeVick once a week, considers him a mentor. The hope is that the #Jets QB will ease Harvin’s transition to NY.

Lol, ease his transition on a done team? Still a baffling trade. This is similar to Garth Snow signing upcoming UFA's and they won't stay.

Dumb

No. 16 in your program ... Percy Harvin

October, 20, 2014

OCT 20

9:25

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- For those into this kind of stuff, Percy Harvin will wear No. 16 for the New York Jets, the team announced.

There weren't many options. For the Seattle Seahawks, he wore No. 11 -- the same number he wore at Landstown High School in Virginia Beach, Virginia. But that belongs to Jeremy Kerley.

Previously, Harvin wore No. 12 for the Minnesota Vikings, but as every self-respecting Jets fan knows, that number belonged to Joe Namath and is retired.

At Florida, he wore No. 8 (in 2006) and No. 1 (2007-2008). Harvin's friend, Michael Vick, wears No. 1. He could've gone with No. 8, but he ultimately decided to double down and go with 16.

I'm still at a total, complete, loss over this deal.

-Injury prone, medical-issue hav'in player.

-Bad locker room teammate fight'in player.

-Hasn't done anything of note in the regular season in two full years. 

-Is more talented as a Kick Returner than a WR.

-Is very expensive.

-Is joining a completely done 1-6 team in disarray, whose Coach will soon be fired at years end.

Why?

Why do it, why do it now?

Yes, we're moderately improved at WR....IF he is healthy (he's not right now), IF he doesn't;t get hurt again (his record doesn't;t support that), and IF he doesn't start fist fighting with Geno, or Decker, or Kerley (again, his record would indicate that's coming soon).

Is this an Idzik admission that he, and his team of scouts, simply cannot evaluate WR talent in the draft?

Is this a desperate attempt by Idzik to save not Rex, but HIS pick, Geno Smith, from the scrapheap of QB busts?

Help me understand this, please, I know someone here must think this is a brilliant move......so educate me. 

-Is very expensive.

-Is joining a completely done 1-6 team in disarray, whose Coach will soon be fired at years end.

Why?

Yes, we're moderately improved at WR....IF he is healthy (he's not right now), IF he doesn't;t get hurt again (his record doesn't;t support that), and IF he doesn't start fist fighting with Geno, or Decker, or Kerley (again, his record would indicate that's coming soon).

Is this an Idzik admission that he, and his team of scouts, simply cannot evaluate WR talent in the draft?

Is this a desperate attempt by Idzik to save not Rex, but HIS pick, Geno Smith, from the scrapheap of QB busts?

Help me understand this, please, I know someone here must think this is a brilliant move......so educate me.

A dude knocks on your door, offers to sell you the contract of his hot, French maid. He warns you that the maid might steal your fine silverware...but she may not, and she doesn't always do a great job with the cleaning, but when she does it's incredible. Regardless, he has to get her out of his house because his wife can't deal with her presence. You ask the price. He says it's a one-time, $1000 fee, and that you'll need to renegotiate her contract in February. You look at the maid. She's gorgeous, and your silverware sucks, and you know your wife is banging the pool boy behind your back.

You take that deal

Yes, we're moderately improved at WR....IF he is healthy (he's not right now), IF he doesn't;t get hurt again (his record doesn't;t support that), and IF he doesn't start fist fighting with Geno, or Decker, or Kerley (again, his record would indicate that's coming soon).

do we get to choose?

-Is very expensive.

Why?

1. Percy Harvin Fits Geno Smith’s Skill-Set Perfectly

Geno Smith was very successful as a quarterback for West Virginia. The reason he was so successful is that he took advantage of shorter routes where his receivers were allowed to make plays after the catch. That pretty much describes Harvin’s stengths perfectly. He is not a great route runner, but he is incredible at making people miss with the ball in his hands. Harvin is basically a stronger version of Tavon Austin, so Geno Smith should be ecstatic with his addition. It now becomes a make-or-break time for Smith as if he cannot improve with Percy Harvin at his disposal, the Jets are pretty much guaranteed to be pursuing a quarterback early on in the 2015 NFL Draft.

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/10/20/3-reasons-percy-harvin-ideal-receiver-new-york-jets/

If nothing else it is an attempt to make Smith's stats acceptable.  Author hits the nail on the head.  All Smith will have to do is complete 0-3 yard passes to get his YPA up. Just like at WV This is a save your butt move by Idzik.  I suspect there was a conversation between Idzik and Johnson  Friday morning.

With that said, I really don't see much downside to the move.  it isn't going to put the Jets in the playoffs, but it makes Smiths style seem better.

No. 16 in your program ... Percy Harvin

October, 20, 2014

OCT 20

9:25

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- For those into this kind of stuff, Percy Harvin will wear No. 16 for the New York Jets, the team announced.

There weren't many options. For the Seattle Seahawks, he wore No. 11 -- the same number he wore at Landstown High School in Virginia Beach, Virginia. But that belongs to Jeremy Kerley.

Previously, Harvin wore No. 12 for the Minnesota Vikings, but as every self-respecting Jets fan knows, that number belonged to Joe Namath and is retired.

At Florida, he wore No. 8 (in 2006) and No. 1 (2007-2008). Harvin's friend, Michael Vick, wears No. 1. He could've gone with No. 8, but he ultimately decided to double down and go with 16.

So who's buying this jersey?

1. Percy Harvin Fits Geno Smith’s Skill-Set Perfectly

Geno Smith was very successful as a quarterback for West Virginia. The reason he was so successful is that he took advantage of shorter routes where his receivers were allowed to make plays after the catch. That pretty much describes Harvin’s stengths perfectly. He is not a great route runner, but he is incredible at making people miss with the ball in his hands. Harvin is basically a stronger version of Tavon Austin, so Geno Smith should be ecstatic with his addition. It now becomes a make-or-break time for Smith as if he cannot improve with Percy Harvin at his disposal, the Jets are pretty much guaranteed to be pursuing a quarterback early on in the 2015 NFL Draft.

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/10/20/3-reasons-percy-harvin-ideal-receiver-new-york-jets/

That's a good point, and the news that it's a conditional 6th and up instead of a 4th and up as originally reported also helps.

But I still think it's an extremely inefficient move for a guy that was seemingly obsessed with efficient utilization of resources just a few weeks ago.  If he's not on the roster next season, then the move makes no sense at all because we're not going anywhere this year. If he is on the roster next season without some kind of renegotiation, then we're basically paying him 2 seasons worth of salary for 1 season of impact. In other words, the money we spend on him this season is basically a waste when it could have been carried over to next year instead.

That's enough of a problem to convince me that this was a bad move, and that's leaving aside the emotional/mental issues with this guy (which may be overblown by Seattle's PR spin) and injury issues (which aren't overblown at all).

All you hear about this guy is talent. Talent, lots of talent. But he hasn't produced much in the NFL. He hasn't had a good season since 2011. See, this is why I liked the Eric Decker signing. Give me a guy with "limited talent" that actually produces over one with all the talent in the world that doesn't come close to reaching his potential.

A dude knocks on your door, offers to sell you the contract of his hot, French maid. He warns you that the maid might steal your fine silverware...but she may not, and she doesn't always do a great job with the cleaning, but when she does it's incredible. Regardless, he has to get her out of his house because his wife can't deal with her presence. You ask the price. He says it's a one-time, $1000 fee, and that you'll need to renegotiate her contract in February. You look at the maid. She's gorgeous, and your silverware sucks, and you know your wife is banging the pool boy behind your back.

You take that deal

I think the dude only asked for gas money, nothing more. 

That's a good point, and the news that it's a conditional 6th and up instead of a 4th and up as originally reported also helps.

But I still think it's an extremely inefficient move for a guy that was seemingly obsessed with efficient utilization of resources just a few weeks ago.  If he's not on the roster next season, then the move makes no sense at all because we're not going anywhere this year. If he is on the roster next season without some kind of renegotiation, then we're basically paying him 2 seasons worth of salary for 1 season of impact. In other words, the money we spend on him this season is basically a waste when it could have been carried over to next year instead.

That's enough of a problem to convince me that this was a bad move, and that's leaving aside the emotional/mental issues with this guy (which may be overblown by Seattle's PR spin) and injury issues (which aren't overblown at all).

All you hear about this guy is talent. Talent, lots of talent. But he hasn't produced much in the NFL. He hasn't had a good season since 2011. See, this is why I liked the Eric Decker signing. Give me a guy with "limited talent" that actually produces over one with all the talent in the world that doesn't come close to reaching his potential.

Trade was done to evaluate Geno's talent. If Geno doesn't show progress, then Jets can move on accordingly in the next yrs draft. Percy is not staying a Jet next yr with his current deal unless he lights the NFL on fire in the next 9 games.

when your team doesn't have any game breakers, and one is available albeit with issues, and you have an easy out if it doesn't work out, you take it.

it is a calculated risk. may not work out, but the downside is relatively limited and the upside is huge.

Hard to say how this will all turn out, but the one thing I do know for sure is, the Jets will led the league in bubble screens.  

The only pass Smith can throw effectively, and the only route Harvin can run effectively.   Bingo.  Perfect match

Whatever its benefits this move is first and foremost done with purely the short term benefits in mind. You are correct it is inconsistent with Idzik's style and the pressure had to come from ownership.

The short term benefits are to make games more competitive,  interesting so there are not many empty seats and the team is not getting booed at home. Idzik started his discussion last week after the Broncos game at home. I am pretty sure the crowd reaction and the number of empty seats at the Broncos game had to play a huge part in it.

The other short term benefit is that JETS get to evaluate Geno.

If NY Jets plan on this to work, Percy Harvin better change on fly Harvin’s talent is undeniable even if he isn’t a conventional wideout. He is a playmaker, pure and simple, but the risk is more than you think. The financial commitment for the rest of the season (around $7 million) is manageable, but the Jets can’t overlook the potentially damaging effects that Harvin could have on a young quarterback.
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Monday, October 20, 2014, 11:19 PM

Updated: Monday, October 20, 2014, 11:19 PM
  • A
  •  
  • A
  •  
  • A

SHARE THIS URL
jets-practice.jpgCOREY SIPKIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSJets GM John Idzik is taking a risk with Percy Harvin and better be right about the troubled receiver being able to change.

The winding, treacherous path inside Percy Harvin’s head is filled with anger.

Say the wrong thing and you might get body slammed into a locker room hamper. Act the wrong way and you might get a shiner. Don’t give him the ball enough and you might pay the price.

Harvin arrived with a trail of character questions that won’t disappear simply because John Idzik, Rex Ryan and his new teammates rolled out the red carpet for the mercurial talent on Monday. He deserves a chance to prove that he is not the teammate-pummeling, ball-hog malcontent portrayed in recent days, but there are enough recent disturbing events to wonder whether an implosion is on the horizon.

The 1-6 Jets are in a delicate state. There were rumblings of discontent in the organization in the wake of Geno Smith’s movie escapade, but Ryan has done well to keep his locker room from fracturing. Although Smith insisted that “we have guys who can manage any situation” to avoid locker room strife, it could be dangerous to inject Harvin’s combustible presence when the dam might break if the losses continue to pile up.

“You really don’t know until he gets immersed into the Jets culture,” said Idzik, who has the unenviable distinction of bringing in knuckleheads later arrested for drugs and weapons charges (Mike Goodson) and AWOL head cases (Dimitri Patterson).

The Seahawks gave away Harvin to the most harmless team it could find: an AFC bottom feeder that has as much chance of coming back to haunt the defending Super Bowl champions as 52-year-old Jerry Rice.

Harvin’s talent is undeniable even if he isn’t a conventional wideout. He is a playmaker, pure and simple, but the risk is more than you think. The financial commitment for the rest of the season (around $7 million) is manageable, but the Jets can’t overlook the potentially damaging effects that Harvin could have on a young quarterback. Harvin denied that he had any issues with Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, but two sources told the Daily News that the receiver resented his signal caller for myriad reasons.

jets-practice.jpgCOREY SIPKIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSHarvin admits to the controversial stories swirling about him in Seattle, which is troubling because the Jets don't need another distraction.

Smith needs more weapons, not distractions.

Harvin can be Smith’s best friend or a whining nuisance. It’s up to him. He has the skill set to help Smith in ways that nobody else can on the roster. Harvin’s admission that he grew frustrated with the way he was used in Seattle is troubling. He denied reports that he refused to go back into the game two weeks ago in a loss to the Cowboys.

“I just wanted to do a little bit more as a receiver,” Harvin, who had only 41 offensive touches in eight games with the Seahawks, said of his role in Seattle. “I wanted to get downfield just a little bit more than what I was doing. So that definitely caused frustration a little bit.”

Harvin’s history of clashing with coaches and teammates stretches back to high school. His troubles in the NFL include heated exchanges with Vikings coaches Brad Childress (the receiver was kicked out of a practice for dogging it) and Leslie Frazier (on the sideline and trainers room) and a trade demand that he later rescinded. He got into fights with Seahawks teammates Golden Tate (days before the Super Bowl) and Doug Baldwin (in the run-up to the preseason finale).

“All I can ask is people to judge me off of what you see,” Harvin said.

Amateur psychologists will insist Harvin, who denied having anger management issues, needs help. They’ll point to Ravens WR Steve Smith, who has turned youthful rage into controlled fury through the years. They’ll look at Bears WR Brandon Marshall, who turned the corner after being diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder a few years ago.

jets-practice.jpgCOREY SIPKIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSHarvin is an extremely talented receiver and could be Geno Smith's best friend - if he stays out of trouble.

“I know with time people will get the feel for me and see what I am all about,” Harvin said. “So I don’t worry about what I am labeled as at all.”

The Jets curiously didn’t want the talented, but troubled, player to explain his past transgressions. They didn’t provide specialized ground rules for behavior, either.

“Some things just don’t work at some places,” Ryan said. “At other places, they seem to work fine. We’ll see how it goes.”

Idzik maintained the Jets have a “really good environment for players.” Pete Carroll, one of the most popular coaches in the league, does too, but he couldn’t put up with Harvin’s act anymore.

The Jets told the 26-year-old to be himself, which isn’t sound advice.

Something needs to change. Something needs to change fast.

Percy Harvin must earn the trust of the new people around him.

Archived