percy harvin traded to jets (MERGED)

drsamuel84

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A dude knocks on your door, offers to sell you the contract of his hot, French maid. He warns you that the maid might steal your fine silverware...but she may not, and she doesn't always do a great job with the cleaning, but when she does it's incredible. Regardless, he has to get her out of his house because his wife can't deal with her presence. You ask the price. He says it's a one-time, $1000 fee, and that you'll need to renegotiate her contract in February. You look at the maid. She's gorgeous, and your silverware sucks, and you know your wife is banging the pool boy behind your back.

You take that deal

This.

I owe you an apology my friend. You have more than one micro fiber of common sense. 

I took one of your trolling posts too literally it seems. 

If NY Jets plan on this to work, Percy Harvin better change on fly Harvin’s talent is undeniable even if he isn’t a conventional wideout. He is a playmaker, pure and simple, but the risk is more than you think. The financial commitment for the rest of the season (around $7 million) is manageable, but the Jets can’t overlook the potentially damaging effects that Harvin could have on a young quarterback.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Monday, October 20, 2014, 11:19 PM

Updated: Monday, October 20, 2014, 11:19 PM

• A
  • A
  • A

SHARE THIS URL

jets-practice.jpgCOREY SIPKIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSJets GM John Idzik is taking a risk with Percy Harvin and better be right about the troubled receiver being able to change.

375]The winding, treacherous path inside Percy Harvin’s head is filled with anger.

375]Say the wrong thing and you might get body slammed into a locker room hamper. Act the wrong way and you might get a shiner. Don’t give him the ball enough and you might pay the price.

375]Harvin arrived with a trail of character questions that won’t disappear simply because John Idzik, Rex Ryan and his new teammates rolled out the red carpet for the mercurial talent on Monday. He deserves a chance to prove that he is not the teammate-pummeling, ball-hog malcontent portrayed in recent days, but there are enough recent disturbing events to wonder whether an implosion is on the horizon.

375]The 1-6 Jets are in a delicate state. There were rumblings of discontent in the organization in the wake of Geno Smith’s movie escapade, but Ryan has done well to keep his locker room from fracturing. Although Smith insisted that “we have guys who can manage any situation” to avoid locker room strife, it could be dangerous to inject Harvin’s combustible presence when the dam might break if the losses continue to pile up.

375]“You really don’t know until he gets immersed into the Jets culture,” said Idzik, who has the unenviable distinction of bringing in knuckleheads later arrested for drugs and weapons charges (Mike Goodson) and AWOL head cases (Dimitri Patterson).

375]The Seahawks gave away Harvin to the most harmless team it could find: an AFC bottom feeder that has as much chance of coming back to haunt the defending Super Bowl champions as 52-year-old Jerry Rice.

375]Harvin’s talent is undeniable even if he isn’t a conventional wideout. He is a playmaker, pure and simple, but the risk is more than you think. The financial commitment for the rest of the season (around $7 million) is manageable, but the Jets can’t overlook the potentially damaging effects that Harvin could have on a young quarterback. Harvin denied that he had any issues with Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, but two sources told the Daily News that the receiver resented his signal caller for myriad reasons.

jets-practice.jpgCOREY SIPKIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSHarvin admits to the controversial stories swirling about him in Seattle, which is troubling because the Jets don't need another distraction.

375]Smith needs more weapons, not distractions.

375]Harvin can be Smith’s best friend or a whining nuisance. It’s up to him. He has the skill set to help Smith in ways that nobody else can on the roster. Harvin’s admission that he grew frustrated with the way he was used in Seattle is troubling. He denied reports that he refused to go back into the game two weeks ago in a loss to the Cowboys.

375]“I just wanted to do a little bit more as a receiver,” Harvin, who had only 41 offensive touches in eight games with the Seahawks, said of his role in Seattle. “I wanted to get downfield just a little bit more than what I was doing. So that definitely caused frustration a little bit.”

375]Harvin’s history of clashing with coaches and teammates stretches back to high school. His troubles in the NFL include heated exchanges with Vikings coaches Brad Childress (the receiver was kicked out of a practice for dogging it) and Leslie Frazier (on the sideline and trainers room) and a trade demand that he later rescinded. He got into fights with Seahawks teammates Golden Tate (days before the Super Bowl) and Doug Baldwin (in the run-up to the preseason finale).

375]“All I can ask is people to judge me off of what you see,” Harvin said.

375]Amateur psychologists will insist Harvin, who denied having anger management issues, needs help. They’ll point to Ravens WR Steve Smith, who has turned youthful rage into controlled fury through the years. They’ll look at Bears WR Brandon Marshall, who turned the corner after being diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder a few years ago.

jets-practice.jpgCOREY SIPKIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSHarvin is an extremely talented receiver and could be Geno Smith's best friend - if he stays out of trouble.

375]“I know with time people will get the feel for me and see what I am all about,” Harvin said. “So I don’t worry about what I am labeled as at all.”

375]The Jets curiously didn’t want the talented, but troubled, player to explain his past transgressions. They didn’t provide specialized ground rules for behavior, either.

375]“Some things just don’t work at some places,” Ryan said. “At other places, they seem to work fine. We’ll see how it goes.”

375]Idzik maintained the Jets have a “really good environment for players.” Pete Carroll, one of the most popular coaches in the league, does too, but he couldn’t put up with Harvin’s act anymore.

375]The Jets told the 26-year-old to be himself, which isn’t sound advice.

375]Something needs to change. Something needs to change fast.

375]Percy Harvin must earn the trust of the new people around him.

Think the biggest problem is the close relationship Harvin has with Vick, and he could be lobbying for him to start with the rest of the players as early as halftime Sunday, could get ugly with a split locker room with the QB's!

Think the biggest problem is the close relationship Harvin has with Vick, and he could be lobbying for him to start with the rest of the players as early as halftime Sunday, could get ugly with a split locker room with the QB's!

We're 1-6. Vick is gone at the end of the year, Geno may be, and Harvin is a toss up. If Harvin wants to get paid he will shut up and perform. A locker room issue isn't something too scary for this garbage team.

we have a bigger problem if a new guy joins a team and leads a mutiny and people actually follow him.

if harvin starts pulling this crap he will be shut down immediately by the vets on the team, including vick. vick has worked hard to rehabilitate his image and all he has to do is stay under the radar to make an addition $5-6M as a backup over the next 1-2 seasons before he hangs them up for good.

we have a bigger problem if a new guy joins a team and leads a mutiny and people actually follow him.

if harvin starts pulling this crap he will be shut down immediately by the vets on the team, including vick. vick has worked hard to rehabilitate his image and all he has to do is stay under the radar to make an addition $5-6M as a backup over the next 1-2 seasons before he hangs them up for good.

Not so sure about the Vet's Marshawn Lynch had to be almost forced, and restrained to enter the team flight when the trade news broke, and many other vet's on that team were extremely pissed he was traded, don't underestimate how much of an influence this guy can be real quick.

Not so sure about the Vet's Marshawn Lynch had to be almost forced, and restrained to enter the team flight when the trade news broke, and many other vet's on that team were extremely pissed he was traded, don't underestimate how much of an influence this guy can be real quick.

i guess it wouldn't totally shock me because rex has no discipline but harvin has to know this is his chance to play model citizen for 9 games to get another long term deal.

I think the plan was to sign 1 and draft 1. In Idzik's perfect world we'd have drafted 2, but 1 is enough of a task. Plus it's a tall enough order to draft 2 good ones, never mind draft 2 good ones worthy of starting as rookies. So he picked up Decker (solid starter who should be in his prime for at least a few more years) and figured he'd draft the other one.

Round 1 Beckham, the guy he really wanted (from reports), went way ahead of our pick. It's my guess that he figured a round 1 WR should be a true go-to guy since we didn't have one yet and were now locked into Decker. So he passes on Cooks. Also this was supposed to be a deep draft at the position, meaning it's unnecessary - or should be, in theory - to burn one's 1st round pick on a position 4-5 rounds deep with talent.

Round 2 he went receiver, kind of. It's just that it's a receiver who plays TE.

Round 3 Jets still need a WR with the WR label because we're starting either other team's castoffs or Stephen Hill. But we also are desperate for a CB who can hopefully start right away (or by October, when Patterson is likely to go on the injury report). So he drafts McDougle and holds off on WR to round 4 and later. Then, since he's not getting one of his top prospects, he triples down on the position and goes quantity and drafts 3 of them. And why not? We have 12 picks.

All of the WRs flop. So his plan of 1 free agent WR and 1 drafted WR is out the window unless he wants to go with a rookie again next year (after flopping in 3 out of 3 attempts in a better draft). So he picks up Harvin when he can be had for very reasonable trade compensation. His contract is totally disproportionate to his production - actually it was a moronic contract when Seattle picked him up and gave it to him back then as well - but it's not guaranteed after these 9 games. Plus he gets the bonus of a damn solid WR corps to evaluate Geno with over the last half of the season.

Breno comments on Harvin. Makes me feel better. Basically we got the better end of it, doesn't matter who Seattle drafts with the pick cause its not gonna be Percy Harvin. Harvin makes us immediately better. Percy is a good teammate. Fights happen, they are NFL players. Tate situation wasn't big deal. They made up right after, Breno witnessed it. Good vid. Short, worth the watch. Thought you guys might want to check it out.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Breno_Harvin_Will_Help_Jets_Immediately_/2cb68a91-d7fe-41d7-a112-e70ae4c44349

I think the plan was to sign 1 and draft 1..... So he picked up Decker (solid starter who should be in his prime for at least a few more years) and figured he'd draft the other one.......So he goes quantity and drafts 3 of them........All of the WRs flop. So his plan of 1 free agent WR and 1 drafted WR is out the window.....

Pretty much it.  Don't understand the head wrangling about it.

I don't know. Lynch, Sherman, and others said he was a good dude. He punched Tate and Seattle dealt Tate, not Percy. Percy said he didn't sit himself out against the Cowboys.

Problem with this is, Tate wasn't traded he signed with the Lions as a FA

Problem with this is, Tate wasn't traded he signed with the Lions as a FA

Seattle lowballed him.  Apparently far more than anyone Idzik supposedly lowballed anyone. They were 40% lower than the (already not-excessive) $6M+/year deal he got from Indianapolis.

This was Seattle's way of turning him down.

From a point of view, they traded him for cap room. Though that isn't what was meant, it's what happened. He'd have re-signed there if they were even close.

Seattle lowballed him.  Apparently far more than anyone Idzik supposedly lowballed anyone. They were 40% lower than the (already not-excessive) $6M+/year deal he got from Indianapolis.

This was Seattle's way of turning him down.

From a point of view, they traded him for cap room. Though that isn't what was meant, it's what happened. He'd have re-signed there if they were even close.

Seatle has some cap problems (thanks Idzik)  Tate signed a pretty good deal, something in the area of 32 million with 13+ guaranteed.  To present Tate's leaving to as an indication that they preferred Harvin over him because of their fight, a player they traded a 1st, 3rd and a 7th for, paid 19+ million, then released for a 6th round pick.  Is more then a bit of a reach.

Harvin also had problems with Wilson, who is still on the team, other players through out his career, nah I just don't see it that the Seahawks kept Harvin over Tate because he was a a popular, good citizen.  

Seatle has some cap problems (thanks Idzik)  Tate signed a pretty good deal, something in the area of 32 million with 13+ guaranteed.  To present Tate's leaving to as an indication that they preferred Harvin over him because of their fight, a player they traded a 1st, 3rd and a 7th for, paid 19+ million, then released for a 6th round pick.  Is more then a bit of a reach.

Harvin also had problems with Wilson, who is still on the team, other players through out his career, nah I just don't see it that the Seahawks kept Harvin over Tate because he was a a popular, good citizen.  

I didn't realize I claimed all that. Or any of it. :)

All I suggested was that they could have re-signed Tate if they wanted to keep him. They didn't want him back, but to put on the facade that they made an effort to re-sign him, they floated a lowball offer at him that they knew he'd turn down unless no one else wanted him either.

I didn't realize I claimed all that. Or any of it. :)

All I suggested was that they could have re-signed Tate if they wanted to keep him. They didn't want him back, but to put on the facade that they made an effort to re-sign him, they floated a lowball offer at him that they knew he'd turn down unless no one else wanted him either.

No, but you responded to my post in support of this statement

"I don't know. Lynch, Sherman, and others said he was a good dude. He punched Tate and Seattle dealt Tate, not Percy. Percy said he didn't sit himself out against the Cowboys."

Which IMO indicates that the OP felt Seattle preferred Harvin over Tate.  The Hawks motivation for letting Tate go was money.  For Harvin it was that they felt he wasn't a good character 

I will say this for Harvin.  I watched when they played the Skins down here and he had 3 great TDs called back by penalty.  A run called back on a hold, the next play he scored on a pass from 10 yards further out called back for a false start and a 40+ yarder later on.  That is more electrifying sh*t than the Jets have had all season.  

I will say this for Harvin.  I watched when they played the Skins down here and he had 3 great TDs called back by penalty.  A run called back on a hold, the next play he scored on a pass from 10 yards further out called back for a false start and a 40+ yarder later on.  That is more electrifying sh*t than the Jets have had all season.  

He will be a great fit then. The Jets have TD's called back because of penalties all the time.

A dude knocks on your door, offers to sell you the contract of his hot, French maid. He warns you that the maid might steal your fine silverware...but she may not, and she doesn't always do a great job with the cleaning, but when she does it's incredible. Regardless, he has to get her out of his house because his wife can't deal with her presence. You ask the price. He says it's a one-time, $1000 fee, and that you'll need to renegotiate her contract in February. You look at the maid. She's gorgeous, and your silverware sucks, and you know your wife is banging the pool boy behind your back.

You take that deal

PERCY BEACOUP

Percy Harvin French Maid?  Get to photoshopping.

Couldn't believe it when I saw it. Three tds called back in one game on penalties is absurd, but the back to back plays really blew my mind. 

The first non-touchdown came in the second quarter on a 16-yard sweep.

harv1.0.gif

The holding penalty cost the Seahawks 10-yards, but Harvin wasn't fazed. On the very next play, the Seahawks went back to Harvin, who caught a short pass from Russell Wilson and took it in the end zone for a 26-yard score.

harv2.0.gif

Guess what? That one didn't count either. Harvin's second touchdown was called back because of a false start -- on Harvin.

By now, some fantasy owners were probably crying, but the torture wasn't even over because in the fourth quarter, Harvin scored again on a 41-yard bomb.That one was called back too, on a penalty that almost seemed to be called just so Harvin's touchdown wouldn't count. Carpenter was flagged for 'hitting a player while he's on the ground.'

harv3.0.gif

Couldn't believe it when I saw it. Three tds called back in one game on penalties is absurd, but the back to back plays really blew my mind. 

The first non-touchdown came in the second quarter on a 16-yard sweep.

harv1.0.gif

The holding penalty cost the Seahawks 10-yards, but Harvin wasn't fazed. On the very next play, the Seahawks went back to Harvin, who caught a short pass from Russell Wilson and took it in the end zone for a 26-yard score.

harv2.0.gif

Guess what? That one didn't count either. Harvin's second touchdown was called back because of a false start -- on Harvin.

By now, some fantasy owners were probably crying, but the torture wasn't even over because in the fourth quarter, Harvin scored again on a 41-yard bomb.That one was called back too, on a penalty that almost seemed to be called just so Harvin's touchdown wouldn't count. Carpenter was flagged for 'hitting a player while he's on the ground.'

harv3.0.gif

But i was told only the jets get tds erased by the refs. Something isnt right here.

Archived