percy harvin traded to jets (MERGED)

drsamuel84

POTW.

In my mind, stoic is trapped in the 1490's, standing on the Spanish shoreline with his trousers tucked into his boots, peering off into the horizon thinking.. "It can't be done. They're crazy."

Shaking his fist, enraged that they wouldn't heed his warning about falling off the edge of the earth.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stoic, sitting in an armchair in front of a roaring fireplace, staring into the flames. It is the only light in the house. Quietly, almost inaudibly, we hear him singing. A snifter, half-filled with brandy, sits untouched on the antique sideboard. His song gets louder now. We recognize the tune, but the words have been altered...

Idzik! Who is this man? What sort of devil is he? To have me caught in a trap...and choose to let me go freeeee...

He dips his head, the words turn to a murmur, then the murmur, a hum. "Valjean, indeed."

You're an artist.

hey, maybe idzik can grease up his old buddies at the clink to bring over a CB or 2.

A guy like byron maxwell would be our best corner.

A guy off the Arizona Rattlers of the Arena League would be our best corner, Maxwell would be our best corner since Revis.

This is a big boy move. He is only 27 and a stud playmaker. Not a lot to complain about here.

Harvin was a stud a few years ago. We haven't seen that in a long while. I like having him on this pathetic receiving corp. We all know we need help. I am concerned with his big contract coming over from Seattle, and I am not happy that Idzik made this move this late. He waited til were basically dead men walking. He could have done plenty to make us an 4 or 5 win team at this point.

edit: just googled. Says he is only 26.

Yes, actually. This season is lost, but this trade could help us win a meaningless game or two we'd otherwise lose this season, which will cost us precious draft position - as in, the difference between drafting a franchise QB vs another DT or CB.

Fair enough, although you can't particularly expect a GM to plan around the value of losing as many games as possible.  Especially when both he and the head coaches jobs could very well be on the line, and right or wrong, they'd be more than happy to win that week 17 game that cost the Jets countless draft slots.  It certainly wouldn't be the first time we'd seen it with our lovely Jets.

Harvin was a stud a few years ago. We haven't seen that in a long while. I like having him on this pathetic receiving corp. We all know we need help. I am concerned with his big contract coming over from Seattle, and I am not happy that Idzik made this move this late. He waited til were basically dead men walking. He could have done plenty to make us an 4 or 5 win team at this point.

Brandin Cooks is 21 and isn't a douche. 

You (and the 50 or so other people who made nearly the same post) do realize that Harvin is allowed to play for the Jets beyond the 2014 season, right?  Would it have somehow made it a better deal if the Jets had waited until February to make the same exact trade?  I can get not being a fan of the deal, but their current record seems like a really silly reason.  Not sure how doing absolutely nothing would have to be considered a better solution in this scenario.  If you think Harvin isn't worth the trade that's understandable, but the record has no bearing on that.

I understand where you are coming from and I know he had a long term contract. And as i hear more i moving from very negative to mixed feelings about this move. But its still mixed feelings.

Doing this deal in Feb means we most likely have a Top 10 draft pick.

Doing this deal means the end of The Plan to build via the draft. Or atleast a big setback.

I am not sure what the deal is and how much is guaranteed and what the market cap hit and what the outs are and how long a deal it is.

The timing of the deal does not make sense. At 1-6 ? Could they have not done this on Monday. That would have won us the game,

I don't mind the compensation we gave up.

it's also possible he has been talking to seattle for weeks, but they finally wanted to do the deal.  who knows

this season was never going to be a winning season.

this WR is for the next coach and probably next QB

To me, Harvin is the replacement for Kerley.  Him out of the slot is a lot more dangerous than on the outside with his speed and elusiveness.  So this becomes an audition for us to see if Harvin can assimilate into this offense (in theory, it's pretty similar to the one Seattle ran, but we have a better WR across from him - feels weird to say that) and then decide if he's worth it.  The lack of guaranteed money means that if he fails, then we either cut him or get him to restructure his contract at a friendlier rate.  

I think this spells the end of Kerley, and we should still be in the market for a good No. 2 WR, although I think this takes us out of the Thomas/Bryant discussions, because we would have way too much money tied up on WR if we went after those three. 

Atleast the offense should be a bit more interesting to watch from now on, and lets see what Geno can do.   I would also like to hear what the conditions are for this conditional, because we may as well bench the guy at this point to make sure he doesn't meet it.  

POTW.

In my mind, stoic is trapped in the 1490's, standing on the Spanish shoreline with his trousers tucked into his boots, peering off into the horizon thinking.. "It can't be done.  They're crazy."

Stoic is the one on the shores telling them that if they want to cross the ocean, they should try a carrack instead of a raft.

it's also possible he has been talking to seattle for weeks, but they finally wanted to do the deal. who knows

If look for a lot of Seattle-Jets cross-pollination as time goes by. We have a lot of cap room, and they need to sign a lot of heavy contracts this offseason/

Idzik finally willing to admit he didn't supply enough weapons to properly evaluate Geno or Rex.  This would mean to me he hasn't made up his mind about either.  And they still think they can make noise...  Best news all year.

His speed is exactly what were crying out for. This is going to help Decker, Kerley, Amaro etc. so much. This should open the playbook up a little.

Would be very interesting to see what happens if Geno started playing lights out.

Word. Geno throws a great deep ball, too.

it's also possible he has been talking to seattle for weeks, but they finally wanted to do the deal.  who knows

NFL network saying that Seattle was open to trading him for weeks. So maybe you're spot on. 

I didn't think we were going to win 12, but I sure didn't think this was going to happen. This is bad. I guess all the luck we had last season was sucked straight out of this one.

To me, Harvin is the replacement for Kerley.  Him out of the slot is a lot more dangerous than on the outside with his speed and elusiveness.  So this becomes an audition for us to see if Harvin can assimilate into this offense (in theory, it's pretty similar to the one Seattle ran, but we have a better WR across from him - feels weird to say that) and then decide if he's worth it.  The lack of guaranteed money means that if he fails, then we either cut him or get him to restructure his contract at a friendlier rate.  

I think this spells the end of Kerley, and we should still be in the market for a good No. 2 WR, although I think this takes us out of the Thomas/Bryant discussions, because we would have way too much money tied up on WR if we went after those three. 

Atleast the offense should be a bit more interesting to watch from now on, and lets see what Geno can do.   I would also like to hear what the conditions are for this conditional, because we may as well bench the guy at this point to make sure he doesn't meet it.

Yeah Kerley is definitely gone. Then draft Cooper and we finally have an offense

Fair enough, although you can't particularly expect a GM to plan around the value of losing as many games as possible.  Especially when both he and the head coaches jobs could very well be on the line, and right or wrong, they'd be more than happy to win that week 17 game that cost the Jets countless draft slots.  It certainly wouldn't be the first time we'd seen it with our lovely Jets.

And that's what irks me most about the deal, that whole mindset just reeks of SOJ. Smart, well run teams like the Colts know when to fold a losing hand and tank hard for the future of their franchise; dumb, poorly run teams like the Jets win meaningless games at the end of lost seasons that sacrifice our future for a meaningless, feel-good win now.

Archived