percy harvin traded to jets (MERGED)

drsamuel84

Report: Percy Harvin punched teammate, was poison in Seahawks locker room

By Tim Weaver

October 17, 2014 4:26 pm PDT

The sports world is still reeling from today’s news that the Seattle Seahawks have traded wide receiver and kick returner Percy Harvin to the New York Jets for a conditional draft pick. Now that more reports have been coming in we have a better idea of exactly what went wrong between Harvin and the ‘Hawks.

According to Lance Zierlein of Rotoworld, Harvin’s anger issues followed him from Minnesota and he got into multiple confrontations with his Seattle teammates, and he even punched Golden Tate and gave him a black eye:

The Seahawks have since come out and admitted that they couldn’t fit with Harvin. However, not everyone is happy about it. Cliff Avril and Marshawn Lynch in particular have voiced their surprise and dismay:

Pro Football Talk also mentioned a disconnect between Russell Wilson and Harvin over his not getting enough touches on offense.

It sounds like Harvin created a real rift in the locker room in a short time. If that’s the case then I definitely understand now why he had to go. Crazy.

If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a dozen times, culture and chemistry are paramount to this team and no matter how talented you are they will not hesitate to cut ties if they feel you’re bringing the group dynamic down.

Kudos to John Schneider and Pete Carroll for rooting out the cancer before it killed the team, but I still wish they could have gotten more in return.

Like integrity said, Seattle spin machine in full effect. FYI Steve smith punched a player in the face and ended his career at practice and paid out of court settlement. Not saying I condone it but an playmaker with a mean streak might not be bad for a team with zero offensive identity.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is all about Geno.

Idzik needs to know if Geno can play QB, and probably wants to see if getting him some weapons proves him able to play the position at a reasonably high level. If not, Idzik needs to get a new QB next year, whatever that means or he is gone. Ironically, I think this move could also save Rex. This team goes something like 7-2 in their last 9, Rex stays, and Geno looks good, everyone is very high on next year. I will still be skeptical because the schedule is so bad, but I get the idea.

Aren't good coaches supposed to fit their best offensive talent into their system and not the other way around? The dude was basically their entire offense in the super bowl, he's that talented. If we traded a player because he didn't fit our system, this place we be going bonkers.

If we traded Coples for a seventh today, it'd be a coup.

Nice, so i guess this rules out Bevell as the next Jets coach

Nope - this is the plan devised by Idzik and Bevell. Dump Harvin to the Jets and reunite them when Bevell becomes the Jets new HC. You guys gotta keep up - Idzik is 1 step ahead. Peter King doesn't even know this --- yet. Pure genius.

There's a difference between being a WR that wants the ball and needs some attention, and being Holmes who literally usurped Sanchez and Rex and derailed any lockerroom chemistry we had at the time.

Well aware and prior to this, I've never heard of Harvin causing any of the above. However, I have heard plenty of noise about Dez and his sideline antics and so long as they're winning games, it's never a big deal. 

If we traded Coples for a seventh today, it'd be a coup.

Don't be pissy just because your man-crush can't utilize one of the best offensive talents in football, nor control his personality.  What'd you say when Holmes pulled this crap? That Rex couldn't control his players or team?  How do you defend Bevell for allowing Harvin to punch one of his own teammates? 

I think this is all about Geno.

Idzik needs to know if Geno can play QB, and probably wants to see if getting him some weapons proves him able to play the position at a reasonably high level. If not, Idzik needs to get a new QB next year, whatever that means or he is gone. Ironically, I think this move could also save Rex. This team goes something like 7-2 in their last 9, Rex stays, and Geno looks good, everyone is very high on next year. I will still be skeptical because the schedule is so bad, but I get the idea.

Let me give you a preview-Geno is not an NFL QB. He didn't play great last night. MM simply dumbed down the offense and ran a lot, and SMith refrained from the usual crapping the bed. It's not greatness, it's barely mediocre, and only for a night. Jets had to try a 58 yard FG because AGAIN with the game right there Smith was mostly useless.

Don't be pissy just because your man-crush can't utilize one of the best offensive talents in football, nor control his personality. What'd you say when Holmes pulled this crap? That Rex couldn't control his players or team? How do you defend Bevell for allowing Harvin to punch one of his own teammates?

It isn't about controlling players--no one can do that--it is about holding them accountable. Rex makes santonio a captain, Seattle sends harvin packing.

Don't be pissy just because your man-crush can't utilize one of the best offensive talents in football, nor control his personality.  What'd you say when Holmes pulled this crap? That Rex couldn't control his players or team?  How do you defend Bevell for allowing Harvin to punch one of his own teammates? 

BOOM

clearly feeling the heat. 

as someone else posted in the thread, this doesn't really count as a big money move. 

The Jets do have 7 divisional games left, all easier than last night's at least on paper.  

Idzik did make an awesome move getting Ivory for a similar price. Gotta give him credit for that. 

Harvin was questionable for this week but it doesn't sound like a serious injury. He could actually contribute this year.

Why make this move? Cause winning football games is better than losing football games. 

actually at this point losing football games Is much better for the jets future

It isn't about controlling players--no one can do that--it is about holding them accountable. Rex makes santonio a captain, Seattle sends harvin packing.

Seattle sent Harvin packing when it was financially beneficial for them, the same way the Jets did when they cut Santonio. If Harvin truly did this, it's been handled pretty similarly by both parties. The only difference is that Harvin is night and day a better talent than when Tone was released.

Well aware and prior to this, I've never heard of Harvin causing any of the above. However, I have heard plenty of noise about Dez and his sideline antics and so long as they're winning games, it's never a big deal.

So wait did Harvin cause problems or no? Asking for a friend

Don't be pissy just because your man-crush can't utilize one of the best offensive talents in football, nor control his personality. What'd you say when Holmes pulled this crap? That Rex couldn't control his players or team? How do you defend Bevell for allowing Harvin to punch one of his own teammates?

Here's the difference: Holmes pulls this sh*t, Rex names him a captain and praises his competitiveness, then gets him a $50 mil extension. Harvin pulls this sh*t and Carroll ships him out of town ASAP despite the money and picks he cost.

So wait did Harvin cause problems or no? Asking for a friend

I said that I never have heard of any problems prior to this, not that he didn't, not sure how anything I've said changes that. This all happened prior to them winning the super bowl and yet I never heard anything but how transcendent of a talent he was both  during and after the game.  And as I repeatedly said about Dez, I don't care if they are prima donnas, so long as they are helping the Jets win games.  

Here's the difference: Holmes pulls this sh*t, Rex names him a captain and praises his competitiveness, then gets him a $50 mil extension. Harvin pulls this sh*t and Carroll ships him out of town ASAP despite the money and picks he cost.

Holmes signed in the off-season prior to the season where he was accused of quitting on the team, not after. Big difference from the scenario you're depicting.

Seattle sent Harvin packing when it was financially beneficial for them, the same way the Jets did when they cut Santonio. If Harvin truly did this, it's been handled pretty similarly by both parties. The only difference is that Harvin is night and day a better talent than when Tone was released.

You proved my point. Rex will never hold a contributor accountable, Seattle did. Stop contributing (Jalen Saunders) and only then will Rex do it. Under Rex, some guys are untouchable that is definition of lack of accountability

Archived