Jets inking Kerley to 4 year deal

Matt39

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to mention both Harvin and Kerley can return kicks and punts. 

Based on what we've seen out there so far this year, I really hope to see one or both of them out there on Sunday. 

Somebody is going to get themselves killed returning balls for the Jets. 

The blocking on special teams has been ATROCIOUS.

Kerley, nice guy or not, is a fourth or fifth tier NFL WR (i.e. a JAG).

He's part of that roster widely called "talentless" by a majority of Jets fans and the pro football media.

And he's been utterly unproductive in 2014.

Sorry, but I hoped we could do better at WR going forward than that.

/shrug

Guess I'll just have to be proven wrong on both Harvin (the injury prone cancer) and Kerley (the nice guy JAG).

Holy sh** just read this and stop talking:  http://nypost.com/2014/09/26/jeremy-kerley-has-become-geno-smiths-security-blanket/

Every team carries it's share of JAG's.  Thing is, Kerley isn't one of them.  He's more in the Bilal Powell mold.  You don't think much of them until they're gone and all you're left with is a bunch of David Nelson's who don't know how to play their position / run routes.

And we just signed him to a contract comparable to a lot of the JAG types around the league.  We have a lot of things to be negative about but this decision is not among them.

And you hoped we could do better at WR?  We just signed the top WR on the market in 2013 (Decker) and brought in Harvin, who will likely cost about $7-$8M per to keep around.  How much money are we supposed to dump into the position?

Kerley, nice guy or not, is a fourth or fifth tier NFL WR (i.e. a JAG).

He's part of that roster widely called "talentless" by a majority of Jets fans and the pro football media.

And he's been utterly unproductive in 2014.

Sorry, but I hoped we could do better at WR going forward than that.

/shrug

Guess I'll just have to be proven wrong on both Harvin (the injury prone cancer) and Kerley (the nice guy JAG).

lol where you been last couple days?

You want receivers -we just got one albeit tempermental one with talent and signed one of our own dependable one.

Jets sign/trade for other team's receivers:  "We can't develop our own guys!!!"

Jets re-sign homegrown Kerley:  "We shoulda saved that money to get someone else's guy!!!"

We certainly had to lock up this (generally unproductive) WR that no one else in the league was after, immediately after trading for a guy who plays the same position but is supposed to be better.

Guess missing on a half dozen WR's in the draft makes you afraid you can't actually build through the draft, eh?

Devil you know, and all that.

I like Kerley enough, but I had hoped we could do better.

with a real QB Kerley will be a high reception guy IMO ...Also Harvin is a roll of the dice Like JIF said lets see if he does not choke the hell out of Geno in the huddle before the season ends

Possession burner?

Harvin said Monday that the way Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell used him became a source of frustration.

“It definitely was,” Harvin said. “Not that I didn’t like what I was doing. I just wanted to do a little bit more as a receiver. I wanted to get downfield just a little bit more than what I was doing. That definitely caused frustration a little bit.”

Harvin said Monday that the way Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell used him became a source of frustration.

“It definitely was,” Harvin said. “Not that I didn’t like what I was doing. I just wanted to do a little bit more as a receiver. I wanted to get downfield just a little bit more than what I was doing. That definitely caused frustration a little bit.”

That would probably require him to learn how to run a route.

16M for 4yr

5.4M guaranteed as per ESPN

Personally, I think that's a nice deal for Kerley.

But whether Harvin sticks or not, he's injury prone and a potential loose cannon that the Jets may want to rid themselves of in the future. So now you have Kerley as a #3 this year, maybe a #4 next year, ready to step into the slot role at any time or back up your punt returner. Gives the team good depth. They may also see this extension as a little bit of leverage against Harvin when it comes time to get a pay cut out of him.

If they can land a nice WR in the first couple rounds of next year's draft (don't see them looking FA at the position at all if they keep Harvin), they could be in very nice shape at WR at a decent cost.

Funny.  It seems high to me. 

Very expensive if you're a stats guy and only looked at 2014 stats. He has the talent. Production is the outcome of the entire offense. He got paid for what his talent is worth. He's an 80 catch, 1000-1200  yard guy with Manning.

I'm sure that Emmanuel Sanders' 3 year, $15 million deal was also used as a baseline for the Kerley deal. Idzik had the opportunity to sign Sanders in FA but the retard scheduled his FA visit on the same day as the Texas Tech pro-day and had to cancel.

Love that our GM doesn't know how to use a calendar.

I'm sure that Emmanuel Sanders' 3 year, $15 million deal was also used as a baseline for the Kerley deal. Idzik had the opportunity to sign Sanders in FA but the retard scheduled his FA visit on the same day as the Texas Tech pro-day and had to cancel.

Love that our GM doesn't know how to use a calendar.

Yeah, because Sanders would have DEFINITELY picked Geno Smith over Peyton Manning. 

Holy sh** just read this and stop talking:  http://nypost.com/2014/09/26/jeremy-kerley-has-become-geno-smiths-security-blanket/

Every team carries it's share of JAG's.  Thing is, Kerley isn't one of them.  He's more in the Bilal Powell mold.  You don't think much of them until they're gone and all you're left with is a bunch of David Nelson's who don't know how to play their position / run routes.

And we just signed him to a contract comparable to a lot of the JAG types around the league.  We have a lot of things to be negative about but this decision is not among them.

And you hoped we could do better at WR?  We just signed the top WR on the market in 2013 (Decker) and brought in Harvin, who will likely cost about $7-$8M per to keep around.  How much money are we supposed to dump into the position?

"Bilal Powell mold", i.e. another JAG who touches the ball what, once, maybe twice, per game?

Is that supposed to be support for this resigning?

Listen, this is the same line of bullsh*t I debated against all offseason last year, except last offseason it was Nelson & Salas everyone tried to push as "guys on the rise", "totally not JAG's!" and "with a real QB these guys will break out".

I've heard it all before.  It's almost always wrong.  Like it was with Nelson.  And has been thus far with Salas.

Yes, I hoped for better.

Decker has been a disappointment, mostly due to injury and no one else of worth running routes alongside him.

Harvin is a drams queen's wet dream, if he succeeds here long term it will be a minor miracle.

And Kerley is a JAG. 

Yes, the sh*te QB takes a lot of blame too.

But sorry, I hoped for better than "stay the course at WR" being part of the Idzik plan.

If you're happy with a Decker/Kerley #1/#2 next year (after Harvin fails spectacularly, which is what the odds say is going to happen), so be it.

Archived