Jets inking Kerley to 4 year deal

Matt39

Seeing as the 5.4 is the only meaningful number, it is cheap. 

The 5.4 is likely a signing bonus making his salary average out to 2.65 million per year. That's nothing. 

Nice. Never knew signing bonus has nothing to do with salary.

I guess we can give a $20mil signing bonus to Mo and have him sign a 10 yr deal at vets minimum deal. Afterall, its the signing bonus that matters. 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How so? 

4 mil per is right about where he should be.

I thought they might get him cheaper.  It is the same as Roberts got in Washington with a little less guaranteed.  It is in the same ballpark with Edelman, and Sanders and those deals were on the open market.  I'm not complaining about it, but it isn't exactly a steal.  Pretty funny somebody saying Kerley can return kicks and punts.  He was never considered for kick returns and he can fair catch a punt.  His punt returning is so lackluster that they burned a 4th on that midget.  He is not a realistic option at either. 

The guaranteed money is what is palpable.

Agreed

they did it to appease Kerley, so he won't feel bad that we reached out to Harvin... the way we gave Sanchez an extension when we reached out to Peyton.

We didn't reach out to Harvin. We reached out to Seahawks.

"Bilal Powell mold", i.e. another JAG who touches the ball what, once, maybe twice, per game?

Is that supposed to be support for this resigning?

Listen, this is the same line of bullsh*t I debated against all offseason last year, except last offseason it was Nelson & Salas everyone tried to push as "guys on the rise", "totally not JAG's!" and "with a real QB these guys will break out".

I've heard it all before.  It's almost always wrong.  Like it was with Nelson.  And has been thus far with Salas.

Yes, I hoped for better.

Decker has been a disappointment, mostly due to injury and no one else of worth running routes alongside him.

Harvin is a drams queen's wet dream, if he succeeds here long term it will be a minor miracle.

And Kerley is a JAG. 

Yes, the sh*te QB takes a lot of blame too.

But sorry, I hoped for better than "stay the course at WR" being part of the Idzik plan.

If you're happy with a Decker/Kerley #1/#2 next year (after Harvin fails spectacularly, which is what the odds say is going to happen), so be it.

Yeah, you sure went out on a limb there saying street FAs like Salas and Nelson were JAGS.

I'm sure that Emmanuel Sanders' 3 year, $15 million deal was also used as a baseline for the Kerley deal. Idzik had the opportunity to sign Sanders in FA but the retard scheduled his FA visit on the same day as the Texas Tech pro-day and had to cancel.

Love that our GM doesn't know how to use a calendar.

Manny Sanders would totally be tearing it up for this team.

"Bilal Powell mold", i.e. another JAG who touches the ball what, once, maybe twice, per game?

Is that supposed to be support for this resigning?

Listen, this is the same line of bullsh*t I debated against all offseason last year, except last offseason it was Nelson & Salas everyone tried to push as "guys on the rise", "totally not JAG's!" and "with a real QB these guys will break out".

I've heard it all before.  It's almost always wrong.  Like it was with Nelson.  And has been thus far with Salas.

Yes, I hoped for better.

Decker has been a disappointment, mostly due to injury and no one else of worth running routes alongside him.

Harvin is a drams queen's wet dream, if he succeeds here long term it will be a minor miracle.

And Kerley is a JAG. 

Yes, the sh*te QB takes a lot of blame too.

But sorry, I hoped for better than "stay the course at WR" being part of the Idzik plan.

If you're happy with a Decker/Kerley #1/#2 next year (after Harvin fails spectacularly, which is what the odds say is going to happen), so be it.

If Harvin "fails spectacularly" we will either sign a shiny FA WR or draft one high.

You just like to whine don't you?

If Harvin fails spectacularly he won't be here next year.  He's essentially on a 1-year contract.

And yes, if Harvin works out, I am indeed happy with that group.  Next step is finding ourselves a legitimate pro QB.

Yeah, you sure went out on a limb there saying street FAs like Salas and Nelson were JAGS.

On a limb or not, most of JI'dom thought they were due to breakout, I didn't.

As usual, I was right, and the throbbing drooling masses were wrong.

I'm never going to apologize for being accurate in my analysis of this team, sorry.

Kerley is a nice enough guy (it seems), good locker room guy if quiet (it seems), and a decent #3/#4 option on a deep team at WR.

We don't need #3's, we need #1's.  I wouldn't spend a penny on a 33 till we find and lock up a #1 next offseason.  That's just me.

If Harvin fails spectacularly he won't be here next year.  He's essentially on a 1-year contract.

And yes, if Harvin works out, I am indeed happy with that group.  Next step is finding ourselves a legitimate pro QB.

That's the big challenge.

Except to my eyes, right now, it looks like Idzik is building specificly to give Geno a chance to redeem himself in Garbage Time 2014 (i.e. the rest of this year).

Meaning barring a spectacular fail, Geno Smith is our incumbent #1 QB in 2015.

Is he the "legitimate pro #1 QB" you meant?

He isn't in my view.

they did it to appease Kerley, so he won't feel bad that we reached out to Harvin... the way we gave Sanchez an extension when we reached out to Peyton.

I don't believe this at all. Since when do we need to appease an underperforming slot receiver with a reputation for being a good teammate? Are we really worried about his psychological well being? I mean, what was going to happen, he was going to play worse? That's quite a way to make a living.

Any other positions you need to check, mentally?

He's not having a good year. Only 201 yards and 1 TD in 7 games. So maybe they got him on the cheap.

Strange timing after the Harvin trade, though. Any chance the Jets intend to use Harvin or Kerley on the outside? If so, which?

To be fair, he did have 2 TDs called back.  One on the phantom TO and the other on the Aboushi hold last week. 

I don't believe this at all. Since when do we need to appease an underperforming slot receiver with a reputation for being a good teammate? Are we really worried about his psychological well being? I mean, what was going to happen, he was going to play worse? That's quite a way to make a living.

Any other positions you need to check, mentally?

I am actually looking at in the opposite way-They are using this deal  to appease Harvin, and show him that he will be used as an outside guy-which is what he wants. If Harvey fails outside, then they have Kerley locked up and go in a different diction, without giving Kerley  extra leverage.

Or, they just decided to sign Kerley now.

The timing seems too coincidental.

Emmanuel Sanders would have picked the contract that offered him the most money. 

Not a statement of fact.  Not every decision made by a player in free agency is based 100 % on how much money they get.  For the agent it is, but the player is going to choose the best overall situation for him, with money being the # 1 factor but not the ONLY factor.

I'm never going to apologize for being accurate in my analysis of this team, sorry.

Kerley is a nice enough guy (it seems), good locker room guy if quiet (it seems), and a decent #3/#4 option on a deep team at WR.

We don't need #3's, we need #1's.  I wouldn't spend a penny on a 33 till we find and lock up a #1 next offseason.  That's just me.

Our # 1 WR is Decker.  If Harvin plays up to his capabilities he's a # 2.  How many # 1 WR's do you think we need?  That sounds like an expensive philosophy.

Our # 1 WR is Decker.  If Harvin plays up to his capabilities he's a # 2.  How many # 1 WR's do you think we need?  That sounds like an expensive philosophy.

But look at Atlanta brah...  You think they'd have those 2 wins without Julio and Roddy?

I am actually looking at in the opposite way-They are using this deal  to appease Harvin, and show him that he will be used as an outside guy-which is what he wants. If Harvey fails outside, then they have Kerley locked up and go in a different diction, without giving Kerley  extra leverage.

Or, they just decided to sign Kerley now.

The timing seems too coincidental.

I think they like what they have at receiver now. Kerley should get plenty of open looks or Jace Amaro, I feel secure about what we have at receiver/pass catchers, I think they do, too.

We don't need #3's, we need #1's. I wouldn't spend a penny on a 33 till we find and lock up a #1 next offseason. That's just me.

And please tell us oh smart one, how do you know how anyone is like in the locker room?

That's the big challenge.

Except to my eyes, right now, it looks like Idzik is building specificly to give Geno a chance to redeem himself in Garbage Time 2014 (i.e. the rest of this year).

Meaning barring a spectacular fail, Geno Smith is our incumbent #1 QB in 2015.

Is he the "legitimate pro #1 QB" you meant?

He isn't in my view.

This is a garbage post.  You're assuming that us collecting weapons means we will NOT be looking to acquire a new QB?  I thought after the 2013 season the goal was to find as many weapons as possible regardless of the QB.  Or are you one who believes you're always supposed to get the QB first and THEN surround him with weapons?

Not a statement of fact.  Not every decision made by a player in free agency is based 100 % on how much money they get.  For the agent it is, but the player is going to choose the best overall situation for him, with money being the # 1 factor but not the ONLY factor.

Not to mention the likelihood of his productivity potentially leading to his next contract. 

Sanders is only 27. When his current deal is up he will be in his prime. If he plays with Manning for one or two years and puts up big numbers he will go a long way toward locking up another deal which will likely be even more lucrative. If he plays with the Jets and averages about 40 catches a year he will have a tough time finding a job at 30. 

This is a garbage post.  You're assuming that us collecting weapons means we will NOT be looking to acquire a new QB?  I thought after the 2013 season the goal was to find as many weapons as possible regardless of the QB.  Or are you one who believes you're always supposed to get the QB first and THEN surround him with weapons?

Not to mention that if we do get a new QB for 2015, don't we want that new QB to have as many weapons as possible?

99.999% of the time it's absolutely true that the player takes the most money that's offered to them in free agency (which is entirely their right). Occasionally you'll get guys like Jared Allen or Darrelle Revis (who Robert Kraft claims took less money to play in NE) who have banked tons of money already that aren't going to be swayed by a million a year difference in salary.

But for Emmanuel Sanders, this was his first pay day. And I'm sure money could have swayed him to us. 

99.999% of the time it's absolutely true that the player takes the most money that's offered to them in free agency (which is entirely their right). Occasionally you'll get guys like Jared Allen or Darrelle Revis (who Robert Kraft claims took less money to play in NE) who have banked tons of money already that aren't going to be swayed by a million a year difference in salary.

But for Emmanuel Sanders, this was his first pay day. And I'm sure money could have swayed him to us. 

Not if he wants another contract. Do you really think these guys don't think long term at all?

Archived