Jets inking Kerley to 4 year deal

Matt39

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

99.999% of the time it's absolutely true that the player takes the most money that's offered to them in free agency (which is entirely their right). Occasionally you'll get guys like Jared Allen or Darrelle Revis (who Robert Kraft claims took less money to play in NE) who have banked tons of money already that aren't going to be swayed by a million a year difference in salary.

But for Emmanuel Sanders, this was his first pay day. And I'm sure money could have swayed him to us. 

How much did you want us to overpay by to get Emmanuel Sanders?

99.999% of the time it's absolutely true that the player takes the most money that's offered to them in free agency (which is entirely their right). Occasionally you'll get guys like Jared Allen or Darrelle Revis (who Robert Kraft claims took less money to play in NE) who have banked tons of money already that aren't going to be swayed by a million a year difference in salary.

But for Emmanuel Sanders, this was his first pay day. And I'm sure money could have swayed him to us. 

Revis didn't take less money to play for Kraft. A lot of players take less money and give home town discounts and such just cuz they don't wanna move. 

Again, Revis didn't take less money to play for Kraft. The Revis never does. 

Revis didn't take less money to play for Kraft. A lot of players take less money and give home town discounts and such just cuz they don't wanna move. 

Again, Revis didn't take less money to play for Kraft. The Revis never does. 

According to CBS sports, he did...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24499140/robert-kraft-darrelle-revis-took-less-money-to-come-to-patriots

That's because Kraft believes his own bullsh*t about the "Patriot Way."

The "Patriot Way" is nothing more than a negotiating tool used by Kraft to lowball guys into re-signing for below market value. 

So of course, when he opens up his checkbook to buy Revis he claims that Revis had a larger offer, which no team is going confirm or deny for a variety of obvious reasons and Kraft knows it, he can use that when he negotiates Chandler Jones' next deal. 

Thats according to Kraft, who is a hypocrite.

While Ray Rice is guilty of domestic violence, New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft is guilty of hypocrisy, said an expert on violence against women.

Neil Irvin, executive director of Men Can Stop Rape, suggested Kraft acted irresponsibly when the owner said he would never sign Rice and would be "shocked'' if the running back ever played again in the NFL despite the fact Kraft has fraternized with boxer Floyd Mayweather, who served prison time after being convicted for domestic violence.

Last season, Kraft posed for photos with Mayweather in the owner's suite during a Patriots' game.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/11/ray-rice-new-england-patriots-owner-robert-kraft-floyd-mayweather/15445587/

Something tells me we probably would have had to pay significantly more than an additional 5 bucks to pry Sanders away from Denver.

WHY DON'T WE KNOW?!?!

Not to mention the likelihood of his productivity potentially leading to his next contract. 

Sanders is only 27. When his current deal is up he will be in his prime. If he plays with Manning for one or two years and puts up big numbers he will go a long way toward locking up another deal which will likely be even more lucrative. If he plays with the Jets and averages about 40 catches a year he will have a tough time finding a job at 30. 

30 is your prime now?  For who?  

WHY DON'T WE KNOW?!?!

30 is your prime now?  For who?  

It's the tail end of it but still good enough to get a nice deal for a productive player. 

http://apexfantasyleagues.com/peak-age-for-wide-receivers/

If he averages 80-100 catches the next 3 years with the Broncos his career is pretty much guaranteed to last beyond that point. If he were to average 40-50 catches a year on the Jets, he would have a tough time ever playing again. 

You really think that wasn't a factor in choosing the Broncos?

I dont have a problem with the Kerley deal at all, but this just proves pigeon holing players in the draft and not going BPA...or even BPA at a certain position doesnt work. The Jets just suck at drafting the middle rounds.

I think they just took some bad players regardless of strategy. Or at best, some players who will take time to show the picks weren't wasted on them. 

The strategy was to fill the 2 WR positions by taking 1 expensive one in free agency (Decker) and another in the draft (under a rookie contract for 4 years). The problem is they didn't get anyone in this draft that warranted putting on the field (at WR) and that the way the draft fell they went TE in round 2 instead of WR, even though it's still a pass-catcher they took 2nd no matter what the official listed position is.

They signed Harvin because they whiffed on the initial plan (draft), didn't have to give up much in draft picks and certainly had enough cap room for a look-see with him (and also with Geno with a full stable of receivers). 

At least he has the sense to admit defeat instead of saying, in a lesser WR draft coming up, "Well back to the drawing board; let's draft 2 more WRs in 2015."

I don't know how I feel about Harvin, truthfully, other than the obvious upside and waste of cap room if he stinks. The 6th rd pick I couldn't care less about really when you're talking about a potential stud veteran who's still only 26. Worthwhile gamble. I remember thinking that Seattle was nuts to give up that much for him (both in terms of those picks AND that contract on top of the picks).

Kerley was a no-brainer. Low on guarantees, and while the average # seems high the cap is going up.  Plus we have to see how it's structured. What if year 4 is $6M, making this effectively 3 years $10M with a 4th year team option at $6M? And even if Harvin sticks, it's not like he's exactly a lock to start 16 games.

I like this signing. Good deal for both sides.

I dont have a problem with the Kerley deal at all, but this just proves pigeon holing players in the draft and not going BPA...or even BPA at a certain position doesnt work. The Jets just suck at drafting the middle rounds.

I am all for the deal. The deal is an on par deal. So nothing bad here.

But  don't think this was the plan the JETS had in mind . I don't think this deal happens if say somehow miraculously the midget works out. The plan seemed like to let Saunders take over the Kerley position and let Kerley go.  But this was the most baffling pick i can think of right from the moment it was made and so this is Plan B. Sign Kerley at market rate.

The move to trade for Harvin combined with this signing means Idzik does acknowledge he fudged up with the WR selection big time in the last draft. Hopefully he does better.

The JETS needs atleast one more impact WR to make it a solid WR corps.

It all depends on the salaries of those slot receivers. Everything has to have balance. You can't overpay in the slot position, to the detriment of the rest of the team.

i AM NOT saying this is a bad move, but it does seem to make Harvin an outside receiver or nothing. 

LOL, good grief. No, you didn't say it was a bad move, instead you inferred that it made no sense, which everyone surely would interpret as unadulterated jubilation over the move.

Stop trying to compartmentalize both guys as slot receivers. Harvin gets used all over the place = fact. Kerley has also played well in multiple receiver spots = fact. If you are the Jets, a team that has had no playmakers for a few years now, you lock up the ones you get the chance to.

Harvin isn't even a lock to be on the team next year. Passing up the chance to secure Kerley, in case maybe Harvin is retained and in case maybe Harvin stays healthy forever, is foolish.

Honestly, everything you've barked about this meager contract extension is foolish.

I am all for the deal. The deal is an on par deal. So nothing bad here.

But  don't think this was the plan the JETS had in mind . I don't think this deal happens if say somehow miraculously the midget works out. The plan seemed like to let Saunders take over the Kerley position and let Kerley go.  But this was the most baffling pick i can think of right from the moment it was made and so this is Plan B. Sign Kerley at market rate.

The move to trade for Harvin combined with this signing means Idzik does acknowledge he fudged up with the WR selection big time in the last draft. Hopefully he does better.

The JETS needs atleast one more impact WR to make it a solid WR corps.

This is my thinking exactly. He wanted one of the rookies to pan out. None did, so at least he's not stubbornly sticking with a plan that failed so horribly.

To be fair, he did have 2 TDs called back.  One on the phantom TO and the other on the Aboushi hold last week. 

That's true, but I'm still disappointed in him this season. I definitely thought he would do more with Decker being in the fold.

Anyway, the contract is pretty good. Low on guarantees. I like it.

This is my thinking exactly. He wanted one of the rookies to pan out. None did, so at least he's not stubbornly sticking with a plan that failed so horribly.

I hope he learns from this though. We don't have too many years to keep trying it again and again.

And by the looks of it this team has to start thinking about replacements for D'Brick and Mangold in then near future.

I just hope they bring in another legit WR into camp next year instead of just hoping that one of Enunwa and Evans will pan out and that Harvin will be healthy/a model citizen.

cannot believe that people are using $4M per for a nice piece like kerley as a soapbox to rail against the evils of overpaying.

look what not "overpaying" got you this year. is this the jets team you want? it ain't overpaying if the price is set by the market folks.

Archived