Jets inking Kerley to 4 year deal

Matt39

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why?

Again, I don't get this logic by some of you. This team has been devoid of playmakers for what feels like forever, now, because we signed Decker, we extend Kerley and we roll the dice on Harvin we've somehow hit the limit on how much we can invest in WR?

Extending Kerley has absolutely no impact on whether we draft Amari Cooper — whether or not Geno makes the coaching staff think he's the guy does.

I was hoping for Cooper, Decker, Harvin next year. No way it would be Cooper, Decker, Harvin, Kerley. Either Cooper or Harvin won't be here. No way we have all four.

I was hoping for Cooper, Decker, Harvin next year. No way it would be Cooper, Decker, Harvin, Kerley. Either Cooper or Harvin won't be here. No way we have all four.

Trading for Harvin (assuming he sticks) should have no impact on drafting a guy like Cooper. If he's the BAP, it'll be the right move. Rookie contracts are no longer back-breakers, and next year's first round draft pick's first opportunity for a new deal will come when Decker, Harvin, and Kerley's deals are expired or close to it.

It does almost certainly knock them out of the free agent market at the position, though.

Trading for Harvin (assuming he sticks) should have no impact on drafting a guy like Cooper. If he's the BAP, it'll be the right move. Rookie contracts are no longer back-breakers, and next year's first round draft pick's first opportunity for a new deal will come when Decker, Harvin, and Kerley's deals are expired or close to it.

It does almost certainly knock them out of the free agent market at the position, though.

No one really drafts BAP

Look around the league. You are wrong. Every team in the NFL would kill to have the problem of Kerley as their 4th best WR.

Seriously, all our fans did for the past few years is cry 'no weaponz' and now there's an imaginary limit on how many guys we can load up on at skill positions? SMH

The best drafters do. At least in the top few rounds.

nah, not really. if a team already has a stud franchise qb, they aren't taking a qb top 5 picks. just like jets shouldn't draft DL even if that's BAP when they are up.

BAP is a factor, but so is need. no team goes purely BAP.

Look at the way the Packers built their WR corps.

Jordy, Randall and James Jones were there. Didn't drop them from drsfting Boykin, then Davante Adams the next year.

It 'a okay to have 4 good receivers. It's allowed, ya know...

nah, not really. if a team already has a stud franchise qb, they aren't taking a qb top 5 picks. just like jets shouldn't draft DL even if that's BAP when they are up.

BAP is a factor, but so is need. no team goes purely BAP.

Oh.

So given the current state of the Jets' WRs, if Cooper is the BAP on the board when it's their turn to pick, should they take him?

Look at the way the Packers built their WR corps.

Jordy, Randall and James Jones were there. Didn't drop them from drsfting Boykin, then Davante Adams the next year.

It 'a okay to have 4 good receivers. It's allowed, ya know...

In the perfect world. you are drafting your 4th WR on the cheap and developing them. Of course, the Jets are not in that space or have that luxury.

I have no qualms with the signing, other than it was interesting in terms of timing. 

Look around the league. You are wrong. Every team in the NFL would kill to have the problem of Kerley as their 4th best WR.

Seriously, all our fans did for the past few years is cry 'no weaponz' and now there's an imaginary limit on how many guys we can load up on at skill positions? SMH

Yeah I'm not understanding the fan base right now. Makes no sense. Who says we can't draft a receiver just because we traded for one and re-signed one of our own? Just don't get it. Weaponz people weaponz, remember?

Oh.

So given the current state of the Jets' WRs, if Cooper is the BAP on the board when it's their turn to pick, should they take him?

depends if cooper is a 95 and the next available cb is a 94, they should go with the cb. have to flex a bit with a team with glaring holes.  otherwise why does the GM even attend the draft? just give the list of players ranked by BAP and go golfing.

I did, and I like Kerley.

But comparing him  Geno to Edelman Brady is like comparing Coples to JJ Watt.

Fixed.

Kerley got 827 yards last year with Geno.  There is no difference between him and Edelman.  Both were treated like their teams' WR1's last year due to injuries and produced.  The only difference between them is Edelman has a 10X better QB and makes more money.  That's it.

depends if cooper is a 95 and the next available cb is a 94, they should go with the cb. have to flex a bit with a team with glaring holes.  otherwise why does the GM even attend the draft? just give the list of players ranked by BAP and go golfing.

Only if Rex returns.

Fixed.

Kerley got 827 yards last year with Geno.  There is no difference between him and Edelman.  Both were treated like their teams' WR1's last year due to injuries and produced.  The only difference between them is Edelman has a 10X better QB and makes more money.  That's it.

Actually he got 827 yards two years ago with Sanchez.  Last year he got 500 or say with Geno. 

Edelman was targeted like 150 times last year.  

Fixed.

Kerley got 827 yards last year with Geno. There is no difference between him and Edelman. Both were treated like their teams' WR1's last year due to injuries and produced. The only difference between them is Edelman has a 10X better QB and makes more money. That's it.

Actually JK got 523 yards last year. The 827 was in 2012. Which speaks volumes considering Sanchez/Tebow.

How many 4th receivers make 5 M +

He's not out 4th receiver, why are people saying this?  At worst he's our WR3 (which is a valuable position; Welker and Manny Sanders both make over $5M per year in Denver) and if Percy Harvin doesn't work out, he's truly an every down guy.

He's not out 4th receiver, why are people saying this?  At worst he's our WR3 (which is a valuable position; Welker and Manny Sanders both make over $5M per year in Denver) and if Percy Harvin doesn't work out, he's truly an every down guy.

It's actually 4M+, my mistake.

We know he's our number 3, we're saying he would be the #4 if we drafted Cooper and still hung onto Harvin.

It's actually 4M+, my mistake.

We know he's our number 3, we're saying he would be the #4 if we drafted Cooper and still hung onto Harvin.

Those are hypothetical scenarios so I don't see how it's relevant.  No one projects who they're going to draft the NEXT year and bases their decisions on contract extensions on that.  We don't know if Harvin is going to prove worthy to hang onto.  We don't know where we'll be drafting.  With the information at hand Idzik made a good decision in giving Kerley a reasonable deal.  If he eventually needs to be cut, it won't be hard to do so because of the small amount of guaranteed money we're giving him (relatively speaking).

I think the idea might be that Amaro is our 3rd receiver. That he is listed at TE, and is the size of a TE, is irrelevant; he is a pure pass catcher. A guy with his size and athleticism should be a mismatch in coverage no matter who's on him and he should be our 3rd receiving option (and even that's only if Harvin is Minnesota Harvin again). Or more correctly, he should be the QB's primary read on the 3rd most number of plays at worst. Kerley will only occasionally be the QB's first read.

If that isn't the "plan" then it was another wasted draft pick to use a top 50 pick on him in a WR-rich draft when the top candidate for the job opposite Decker was (then) Stephen Hill. I think Amaro's going to be looked back upon as a good pick (particularly if we get consistently good QB play). Kerley is the 4th receiving option among three WRs and a TE, regardless of where any WR (or TE) lines up.

This is a stupid gripe.

He won't be 4th next year. He'll be our most tenured WR. I called him our 4th, because long-term, in a hypothetical scenario where we draft Cooper, that's what he'd become.

What difference does what he makes matter? All everyone has done is piss and moan about Idzik not spending, then when he does it's more waterworks over how he spent. Kerley got a team friendly contract, and in case some of you have forgotten, Harvin hasn't actually done sh*t for a couple years. The Kerley contract is an insurance policy against the Harvin experiment failing, and it buys us flexibility in the 2015 off-season. 

Our fans get exactly what they deserve.

I am not all up in arms about this.  My feeling is just that $4M is the high side of what this guy should get on the open market.  Sure it is only $5 and a half guaranteed, but then you have to hold on to him for two years to even make it worthwhile.  No big deal, but not the bargain I was hoping for. Maybe they know he is better than that and are making a concession for having a sh*tty QB and complimentary WRs or maybe it has to do with the cap going up.  It is a fair deal, but wIth Idzik I am not impressed with fair deals.  If he was going to pay fair money we'd have had another WR and at least one more CB going into the season - though the deal he gave Patterson was more than fair. 

lolwut?  So we're supposed to get decent players to take dirt cheap deals just because? 

What is the rush to extend a guy at a price that I consider on the high side of fair?  Should I do cartwheels for paying market price for this kid? We nickel and dimed everybody throughout the free agency period and now in the middle of a lost season we are suddenly spending. I would have been much happier to spend this money on Andre Roberts or Emmanuel Sanders and been able to go into the season with an NFL level WR corps.  Hell we even could have gone into the draft without a pathetic need that caused us to burn 3 picks on complete crap. 

Archived