Jets inking Kerley to 4 year deal

Matt39

Was on board with resigning Kerley until we got Harvin. Now I'm assuming Harvin is just a rental.

Why not see how Harvin fits before resigning Kerley. It's not like there is going to be a huge market for him.

Because instead of just one good receiver, we could quite possibly have two good receivers..in addition to Decker. 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because instead of just one good receiver, we could quite possibly have two good receivers..in addition to Decker.

Not ideal to have 2 of your 3 starting WRs to be under 5' 11". How did Kerley do when he was supposed to step up with Decker out? He was non existant.

They're both ideally suited for the slot.

My guess is that they view Harvin as miscast as purely an underneath slot receiver. With his explosiveness, there's potential for him to be a guy who can get downfield and make some plays in addition to having those short touches manufactured. He even said he wanted to get downfield more.

The Kerley extension kind of confirms that to me. They've now got the big bodied target in Decker, the explosive guy in Harvin, and the steady slot receiver in Kerley. Maybe Harvin doesn't work out, and of course the deal working out would require the Jets to know more about a player than two other franchises or things just clicking for Harvin, but if the deal doesn't work then they just try to add someone else to fill out the WR corps.

Point is they like Kerley as a third receiver on a good offense. I do too - the issue is that right now he doesn't play on a good offense (and until now he hasn't been a third receiver). With two other legitimate wideouts in the game, Kerley theoretically should be able to eat against whatever third corner teams throw up against him. Whether or not that's what we have on the roster remains to be seen. That and the whole quarterback situation doesn't help.

Not ideal to have 2 of your 3 starting WRs to be under 5' 11". How did Kerley do when he was supposed to step up with Decker out? He was non existant.

They're both ideally suited for the slot.

Ehh, Harvin is a shade over 5'11 and Kerley is a shade under 5'10, there's plenty of teams that have thrived with two 6'-ish receivers. As long as the Jets feel they can compliment each other, I don't see why it's such a far out there idea.

Ehh, Harvin is a shade over 5'11 and Kerley is a shade under 5'10, there's plenty of teams that have thrived with two 6'-ish receivers. As long as the Jets feel they can compliment each other, I don't see why it's such a far out there idea.

We've had a year and a half of a combination of Ryan Spadola, Clyde Gates, David Nelson, and Greg Salas running routes for us. I'd take "can catch without fumbling" at this point.

The Eagles offense functioned just find playing shorter WRs years back.

Antonio Brown is 5' 10" and a buck eighty. He plays all over the formation for the Steelers, but mostly on the outside. 

This week's "we can't  have 2 WRs that are the same size" narrative is quite possibly one of the dumbest I've seen in all my years on message boards. Apparently, short = only capable of playing in the slot.

Nevermind that in the past few years we've seen creative OCs use tight ends in the slot, and versatile WRs moved all over the formation (no matter how short/tall they are) as coaches look to find and exploit mismatches in coverage. Case in point, just today the Giants talked about moving Ruben Randle into the slot occasionally, because "he's a smart and a big target in the middle of the field and it creates mismatches with nickel corners". He is 6' 2" and 208lbs.

Harvin and Antonio Brown are similar players, imo. 

Can we put this whole "2 slot WRs oh noes" nonsense to bed now? I'm just happy to have 3 WRs on this roster that would actually make another NFL roster.

Antonio Brown is 5' 10" and a buck eighty. He plays all over the formation for the Steelers, but mostly on the outside.

This week's "we can't have 2 WRs that are the same size" narrative is quite possibly one of the dumbest I've seen in all my years on message boards. Apparently, short = only capable of playing in the slot.

Nevermind that in the past few years we've seen creative OCs use tight ends in the slot, and versatile WRs moved all over the formation (no matter how short/tall they are) as coaches look to find and exploit mismatches in coverage. Case in point, just today the Giants talked about moving Ruben Randle into the slot occasionally, because "he's a smart and a big target in the middle of the field and it creates mismatches with nickel corners". He is 6' 2" and 208lbs.

Can we put this whole "2 slot WRs oh noes" nonsense to bed now? I'm just happy to have 3 WRs on this roster that would actually make another NFL roster.

It's getting exhausting. This board had the same conversation before the draft when we were told we should pass on ODB and Cooks because they were a few inches too short to earn that #1 wide receiver status. Not to mention we've seen guys like Tory Holy, Isaac Bruce, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Steve smith, Antonio brown and others all have success from that 5'10-6' range. Harvin is a good football player as is Kerley, I see this as only a good thing for us.

This week's "we can't  have 2 WRs that are the same size" narrative is quite possibly one of the dumbest I've seen in all my years on message boards. Apparently, short = only capable of playing in the slot.

Yeah, the short guys only play the slot thing is overblown.  It's actually guys that will have trouble getting off the line that are better off in the slot.  Generally that means small/weak guys or big/slow guys.  The Jets have been using Nelson (who was a slot w/the Bills) and Amaro there. IMO WR in particular is a place where you amass talent and then stick them wherever. 

It's actually guys that will have trouble getting off the line that are better off in the slot.  The Jets have been using Nelson (who was a slot w/the Bills) and Amaro there. WR in particular is a place where you amass talent and then stick them wherever. 

Indeed.

Don't let Matt39 see this. He's a total size queen.

Just as he was used in Seattle and Minnesota, Harvin will play the Z and also a lot out of the slot.  While Kerley is predominantly a slot guy, he's shown the ability to be the flanker as well.  Seattle used Baldwin, Kearse and Harvin pretty interchangeably between the Z and slot, which is exactly what we'll probably do.  Considering Harvin and Kerley can play both, it's all about getting your best receivers on the field as much as possible and that's Decker, Harvin and Kerley.  

As for Cimini's notion that he can't stretch the field or you have to orchestrate ways to get him the ball, just watch Harvin play when Favre was there, he stretched the field plenty.  I think Seattle just wanted to run an extremely rush-oriented style of football and Harvin running verticals was not part of their philosophy. 

Thanks for explaining

FLORHAM PARK — The Jets earlier this week locked wideout Jeremy Kerley into a contract extension. What follows are the details, according to a league source.

Kerley is in the fourth and final year of the rookie deal he signed after being drafted in the fifth round out of TCU in 2011. His new contract, inked Tuesday, has a max length of four years, from 2015 to 2018. It includes a $3 million signing bonus and $5.4 million in guarantees, though no portion of the deal is guaranteed beyond the 2015 season. The annual breakdown in base salaries is as follows:

• 2015: $2 million
• 2016: $2.5 million
• 2017: $3 million
• 2018: $3.5 million

The terms are similar to the deal wideout Andre Roberts struck with Washington this offseason, which was for four years with $5.25 million guaranteed and a $4 million signing bonus, per overthecap.com. But Kerley's contract also includes $500,000 in annual incentives based on passes caught. The max value, should Kerley play through till the end of the contract, is approximately $15.4 million, or slightly less than the $16 million reported earlier in the week. But with the incentives the deal could potentially be worth as much as $17.4 million.

Oh, here are the annual cap hits for the Jets:

• 2015: $2.6 million
• 2016: $3.1 million
• 2017: $3.6 million
• 2018: $4.1 million

Dom Cosentino may be reached atdcosentino@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter@domcosentino. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Again, good deal for both sides.  For all the $4M/year stuff, if he doesn't reach incentives it's $2.6M then $3.1M then, if cut after 2 seasons, $1.5M dead hit. If he reaches them, then he was well worth an extra $0.5M per extra starting in yr 2.

Totally reasonable. Good deal for Kerley, too, since he doesn't have to risk getting his (annual) injury over the last 9 games when he's already off to a slow start statistically and with greater competition for the ball over that span anyway.

A deal like this we could probably even get something in return for him in trade if we decide we don't need him anymore. Would like to see him play the full deal out, though. Seems like a great kid.

Again, good deal for both sides. For all the $4M/year stuff, if he doesn't reach incentives it's $2.6M then $3.1M then, if cut after 2 seasons, $1.5M dead hit. If he reaches them, then he was well worth an extra $0.5M per extra starting in yr 2.

Totally reasonable. Good deal for Kerley, too, since he doesn't have to risk getting his (annual) injury over the last 9 games when he's already off to a slow start statistically and with greater competition for the ball over that span anyway.

A deal like this we could probably even get something in return for him in trade if we decide we don't need him anymore. Would like to see him play the full deal out, though. Seems like a great kid.

Agreed on all accounts, especially the later. It's nice being able to cheer for a kid who's easy to like.

Again, good deal for both sides.  For all the $4M/year stuff, if he doesn't reach incentives it's $2.6M then $3.1M then, if cut after 2 seasons, $1.5M dead hit. If he reaches them, then he was well worth an extra $0.5M per extra starting in yr 2.

Totally reasonable. Good deal for Kerley, too, since he doesn't have to risk getting his (annual) injury over the last 9 games when he's already off to a slow start statistically and with greater competition for the ball over that span anyway.

He's said he wants to be a Jet for life. Dunno wtf he's thinking but that's certainly refreshing to hear. It's been strange the past few years, the one thing this franchise has always seemed to do well in is receivers, and it really hasn't seemed like Jet football with all this garbage we've been trotting out at WR the past 3-4 years.

He's said he wants to be a Jet for life. Dunno wtf he's thinking but that's certainly refreshing to hear. It's been strange the past few years, the one thing this franchise has always seemed to do well in is receivers, and it really hasn't seemed like Jet football with all this garbage we've been trotting out at WR the past 3-4 years.

Jets usually have fan favorite, try hard kiny of guys, but have never had a dominant number one since... Since... Who knows

Were Wesley Walker and Al Toon really just 3-4 years ago? Seems like a lifetime since this team had good receivers. 

Coles and Cotch were more than solid. They carried us the year we made the playoffs in Mangini's first year - Chad was dumping short passes to them and they were doing good things after the catch. Cotch always caught the ball and stayed in bounds, and Coles was fast and tough with good hands. They were enough to make me stop missing Walker and Toon, but we haven't had anyone since to help us forget Cotch and Coles.

Archived