2015 Coaching Candidates

Gen X Jet

Shotty Sr did much better without Snyder. Idk about code for not the Jets. I take that as meaning whatever he considers to be a good fit for him.

He's 62 years old and has no interest in a complete renovation. Which is fine, because I haven't been all that impressed with I'm without John Elway. And Geno Smith is no John Elway.

Mike Shanahan doesn’t rule out a return to coaching in 2015

Posted by Mike Florio on December 21, 2014, 10:58 AM EST

A late-season leak to ESPN in 2013 made his plans clear for 2014. A late-season appearance on ESPN in 2014 is showing Mike Shanahan’s hand for 2015.

In a sit-down with Sunday NFL Countdown host Chris Berman, the former Raiders, Broncos, and Washington coach didn’t rule out returning to the sidelines next season. But Shanahan, 62, made it clear that he’s not interested in taking on a fixer-upper; he wants to coach a team that’s in position to win right away.

“Well, one thing that I want to do is win,” Shanahan said in response to the question of whether he wants to coach. “So it’s not just coaching but going to the right organization that will make a strong commitment. There’s only one team that’s happy at the end of the year and that’s the team that wins the Super Bowl.”

Earlier in the interview, Shanahan talked about Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, making it clear that the man who drafted Cutler nearly nine years ago still views Cutler as a franchise quarterback. Which continues to make Shanahan the best choice to coach the franchise that currently employs Cutler.

Benching Cutler strongly suggests that the Bears would like to trade him. If Shanahan is interested in the job, and if the job is interested in Shanahan, he’d be one of the few coaches who could be trusted completely when he says during the interview, “No, my first order of business wouldn’t be to run Jay Cutler out of town.”

Other jobs that possibly would interest Shanahan include the Falcons and 49ers. Atlanta has a franchise quarterback still in his prime, and Shanahan previously worked as an offensive coordinator in San Francisco, helping the team to its fifth Super Bowl win, 20 years ago.

The question becomes whether any teams will be interested in Shanahan. Sunday’s appearance on ESPN surely was aimed at getting his name in the mix as the coaching carousel starts to spin.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pep Hamilton is a good candidate but what has he done except coach Andrew Luck.

Quinn is head and shoulders the best candidate. Seattle is on the verge of a repeat and he deserves a ton of credit for that.

And those calling for a new GM but Rex staying, you have no idea on how the dynamics of a front office works. There are several things that Woody can do to move on from this season successfully. None of which include keeping a coach that finished tied with Kotite in anything.

You want Shanahan because of his experience with athletic QBs?  He left because he lost a power struggle with the RGIII camp.  I'm not sure what athletic QB we are touting because I see no reason to bank on Geno.  He is not even really an asset at this point.  Shanahan got ragdolled by the media down here. From what I remember, they portrayed him as a guy that said "I am got paid, so I don't care."  The media is pretty big down here, but it is basically just political reporting and NOTHING like the News/Post making up stories on their down time.  OTOH, the fact that RGIII has not flourished without him tends to trend him upward since Snyder and others basically took Griffin's side.

"Right organization" is code for "not the Jets."

And while Dan Snyder sucks too, I have no idea why anyone would be interested in the guy after the way he told his last team to **** off. I just can't imagine him being a fit with Woody.

Woody offers enough cash to Shanahan the Jets will all of a sudden become the right organization.

Or he could just take a job with a class organization that's been winning for years like the Raiders, Titans and Bucs.

Pep Hamilton is a good candidate but what has he done except coach Andrew Luck.

Dude you guys want no part of Pep Hamilton.  He's conservative early on in games until the Colts get behind and they basically scrap his entire stupid gameplan and let Luck chuck it all day.  Bruce Arians set up a good system with Luck a couple years ago and that system has stayed in place Pep Hamilton had nothing to do with it and most Colts fans hate him.

I'd rather re-hire Mangina than hire Pep Hamilton.

To equate the movement with firing Pete Carroll with the firing of John Idzik is patently wrong. Carol went back to college, got a measure of education and experience and was ready for the next step. Whether he would have succeeded without the experience of the interceding years we will never know. Idtzik has thus far shown he can manage the cap but not the draft . Further that he did not fill the fill the prime needs of the team or the pieces that fit the coach.   Idzik should be moved into a pure administrative position in the back office or given his outright release.

Archived